• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magicka |OT| I'm not a vampire.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Ferrio said:

I don't get it? Blue never gets mentioned and is casting lightning.

Woo-Fu said:
Each patch is two steps forward and one step back.

Example:

They added password option for mp games.

Result: It doesn't ask for the password when you join and kicks you out with bad password.
Result2: It asks for the password and you give it the right one and it kicks you out with bad password.
Result3: It actually works.

Example:

They allow you to remap cast on self to something besides middle mouse button.

Result: They bind staff special to middle mouse button and don't let you remap it.

I thought the new patch was going to allowing binding middle mouse button to the keyboard?

joesmokey

Tried out the demo and it's pretty fun. The combat will take some getting used to for me though.

Is there anyway to prevent getting constantly knocked down from the arrow goblins at all? Only way I've dealt with it is by putting up shields, but I'm not sure if there's a better way.

How are you supposed to defeat the serpent boss at the end of the demo? I just put up shields and let the serpent charge into them. I couldn't figure out how to aim any spells at his head though. Is using a shield the only way to do it?

Ferrio

Banned
joesmokey said:
Tried out the demo and it's pretty fun. The combat will take some getting used to for me though.

Is there anyway to prevent getting constantly knocked down from the arrow goblins at all? Only way I've dealt with it is by putting up shields, but I'm not sure if there's a better way.

How are you supposed to defeat the serpent boss at the end of the demo? I just put up shields and let the serpent charge into them. I couldn't figure out how to aim any spells at his head though. Is using a shield the only way to do it?

Stand under his head, and cast t he spell on yourself... instead of hitting you it'll smack his head

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Today's Patch:

Arrowhead Studio said:
Changelog for Patch #4 - January 28th Note! we'll be working all weekend to make the next patch, but since Steam doesn't (they like their free time...weird huh?) patch #5 won't be deployed until Monday! We appreciate you having patience over the weekend. If multiplayer acts up, try singleplayer, local co-op or LAN play. We'll be here over the weekend listening to you.

Fixed issues/bugs

* Fixed Move orders such as the one in Chapter 12 (For real this time).
* Fixed trigger ID sync over network (Should fix Chapter 7 crash).
* Fixed uninitialized AI crashing.
* Fixed crashes due to messages arriving early in high latency games.
* Fixed Vlad incorrect clothes in Chapter 3.
* Fixed server list bug, which caused users to connect to wrong game.
* Fixed joining a password protected game through steam overlay.
* Fixed falling damage not working properly.
* Fixed "OMG they killed yellow.." achievement awarded when killing purple (Good theory on the LA Lakers)
* Improved disconnect notice.
* Improved damages over network.
* Improved cut scene skip in early Chapter 1.
* Improved chat position.
* Improved challenge level selection indicator.

New features/balancing

* Added Checkpoint to the party in Chapter 1
* Added missing boss titles in Chapter 1 and 12.
* Balanced Dwarf Priests (Swedish Chef Brigade); are now more difficult.
* Balanced Chapter 9 boss; is now more difficult.
* Balanced Chapter 12 boss; is now more difficult.

Known Issues

* Beam spells merging sometimes crashes game with stack overflow (for real)
* Self-shields sometimes get out of sync
* Players are still able to have too many summons (Changed because of community feedback)
* Server list sorting not implemented
* Network congestion on high ping (>400ms) connections still problematic.
* Game stutters slightly on some systems despite good performance (cause known, fix pending)
* Steam attempts to install XNA framework every time game is launched or rare occasion
* Game sometimes hogs uplink bandwidth - (Being researched)
* "Too fancy for fireballs" achievement is sometimes not awarded
* Quitting the game while the credits are rolling will not award a game complete.
* Mouse outside screen in full screen with multiple monitors will minimize the game.
* Chat still awkwardly positioned.

MNC

The game is bloody fantastic; shame there are alot of kinks (that are being worked on by arrowhead/paradox! Kudos to them!)

I love this game alot. Wish it had a few more graphics settings I could lower though.

Edit: LOL. Chat improved.

[...]

Chat still awkwardly positioned.

webrunner

They should update the demo so people who play it don't get put off by stuff that's fixed (like not having a checkpoint at the party)

derFeef

webrunner said:
They should update the demo so people who play it don't get put off by stuff that's fixed (like not having a checkpoint at the party)
They will update the demo today as well.

Red

NIN90 said:
I secretly think that Vlad is a
werewolf
All we know for sure is that he's not a
vampire

So what's up with the save system for this game? I played through the introduction yesterday, couldn't find a quick save option, roamed the outside town a little bit and quit. When I loaded it back up my character was there, but my progress wasn't.

And now every time I try going to my "saving the world party," the game locks up or instantly crashes on me :(

Insaniac

i really want to get this game but the demo doesn't run on my comp for some reason I launch it via steam and nothing happens. Please help me I wont download it until I know it'll work :(

Aon

My lord, just played through the first three levels in three way co op.

There may never be a griefing simulator as pure as this again :D

Dunlop

I'm on the fence, I love the mechanics put fucking hate the click to move mechanism when you are being atacked by 20 mobs.

Does it play any better with the 360 gamepad on PC?

Crunched said:
All we know for sure is that he's not a
vampire

So what's up with the save system for this game? I played through the introduction yesterday, couldn't find a quick save option, roamed the outside town a little bit and quit. When I loaded it back up my character was there, but my progress wasn't.

And now every time I try going to my "saving the world party," the game locks up or instantly crashes on me :(

As of right now at least, it only saves when you beat a level. The checkpoints only work for when you die, not when you quit the game.

Zomba13

Just went to continue my save game and it's gone. I was on Chapter 5. WTF!?
Why would it be gone? Did the patch erase my game?

Manik

For anyone still on the fence about buying Magicka (understandable given the buggy-as-all-hell release) Direct 2 Drive have a 20% off coupon until 10AM Monday which makes the game $7.96 (comes in at ~£5 for UK GAF). Apparently you can just enter the serial on Steam and it'll link to your account too, which is handy.

The promo code for D2D is - WETKITTY

Also, if anyone is up for a GAF co-op group on this, once they finally work out the kinks, then I'd love to be part of that - My Steam ID is CazzBside on there.

Drakken

Ratsofatsorat said:
Played some w/ Beth dev friends last night. Took some video. We're not very good, but for anyone on the fence, this is Magicka:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85phGyLf1kk&hd=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyFM3wHDbNo&hd=1

We fixed our multiplayer issues by just using Hamachi and joining a game as normal.

This looks awesome. Shame the game is super buggy right now. Can't wait till it's stable/comes to 360; definitely gonna get this and convince a few friends to buy it for crazy co-op action.

Dunlop

wow full game install is more buggy than the demo, where to I put the freaking steam key?!?!?

I was not able to connect to a single MP game with various error messaged

edit: also how do you save o_O

epmode

Dunlop said:
edit: also how do you save o_O
It saves on its own, but only after you complete a chapter. Kind of annoying for single-player but I don't think they gave much thought to single-player in general. Needs more balancing.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Yes, they added it a couple days ago in an update.
Oh nice. I checked the demo and it hasn't been patched, but I figured the full version might have been.

Game is bought.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Fixed issues/bugs

* Improved chat position.

Known Issues

* Chat still awkwardly positioned.

Wait....

Also, while the game is super buggy, the bugs to some extent make it enjoyable, since the game is pretty well at handling death. I find it so amusing when the game decides to randomly have 20 spells cast at once causing a huge ass explosion killing most of us. I hope this Fall damage won't be to bad, since one of the fastest ways of healing right now is the healing bombs.

Durante

This game is hilarious.

We had to replay a chapter 4 times today due to bugs and didn't even mind.

Also, I can now press F,Q,A,S,A,space in 0.1 seconds :p

Raide

Firebug2009 said:
both of these (magicka and torchlight) are supposed to come to XBLArcade this year, and i cant wait

Torchlight annoyed me after it randomly drops out and I was loosing game saves. The XBLA version should be bug free...hopefully...maybe...

Will wait a little while till they iron out the Magika issues too.

Sinatar

Smash88 said:
How do you get the magicka book on top of the tower near the beginning of the game?

If you plant arcane mines and walk on them with a shield on you can launch yourself up there. It's tricky but doable. You get that book normally much later in the game though if you can't pull it off.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Durante said:
This game is hilarious.

We had to replay a chapter 4 times today due to bugs and didn't even mind.

Also, I can now press F,Q,A,S,A,space in 0.1 seconds :p
I found the Lighting Bolt attack tended to go after my own party members far more then the enemy.

The "have all party members survive a Thunder Storm" achievement is freakin hilarious! Took us like 10 tries til we finally came up with a viable solution, and even then we were shitting bricks. :lol

Durante

Drkirby said:
I found the Lighting Bolt attack tended to go after my own party members far more then the enemy.
The targeting seems to depend on the direction you're facing, so it's doable. It has amazing damage output if you can pull it off rapidly.

I mostly play with just 2 players though, it may be infeasible with too many allies.

Sinatar

Revolutionary said:
The "have all party members survive a Thunder Storm" achievement is freakin hilarious! Took us like 10 tries til we finally came up with a viable solution, and even then we were shitting bricks. :lol

Put on a lightning shield and wait?

Kritz

Banned
Aon said:
My lord, just played through the first three levels in three way co op.

There may never be a griefing simulator as pure as this again :D

You should note that those first three levels took us what is probably the time required to actually beat the game.

At some point we managed to devolve Magicka into deathmatch.

And by devolve, I mean improve.

joesmokey

I can't figure out how to play this with my friend at all :(.

We've both tried hosting and the game will say Connecting... then the text will just disappear.

Edit: Nevermind, it ended up being an issue with my router.

We did 3 player through to Chapter 6, this game is SO much more fun in co-op. Think ours ended up being constant battling for the staffs, hahaha. We didn't have any crashes either, except in one chapter (I think 5), both my friend and mine's display driver crashed at the same time.

Top Bottom