• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major sites/news media give their verdicts on the main E3 Conferences

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
Nintendo had the most enjoyable conference, and of the three consoles it's the only one with current and upcoming games I actually would buy a console for. Microsoft had a solid showing, paced really well, it was a constant stream of games, with some cool demos.

Sony's conference had a solid first hour...at least it was solid when I thought it was a preamble to better things. Instead, it went down the shitter for 30 minutes thanks to PurpleTieMan and movie/TV crap. What a shit show. And then they capped it off with a nothing teaser of Uncharted 4. Yeah, okay.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I think when the dust settled Sony and MS had basically the same conference.

Tons of multiplats for both, a few 2014 releases and a bunch of 2015 stuff with a lot of CG.

Sony showed off Uncharted which looks like the strongest 2015 exclusive.

Microsoft showed Sunset Overdrive which looks like the strongest 2014 exclusive.

I'm not a dark souls guy (I played the game for about 2 hours and realized I don't have that kind of free time anymore), but I am a Halo guy.

So MS won for me. But, I think they are probably a coin flip down to preferences. So, that's an improvement for Microsoft from last year.

But I tend to think the days of the big explosive E3s are over. Too many leaks.

MS had a ton of surprises blown. Sony had project beast blown.

A fair number of those would have been megatons in a world without leaks.

tkscz

Nintendo isn't getting The Witched 3, GTA5, No Mans Sky, Blood born, Sunset Overdrive, Magicka 2, Uncharted, Batman Arkham Knight, Grim Fandango, Inside, LBP3, ORDER 1886, dragon Age Inquisition, and I will stop there. How can you win when you have vastly less games? Someone who thinks that Nintendo had more at E3 than PS4 or even XB1, I'm all ears.

I get that gamers win. I want a WiiU an XB now even more but Nintendo is completely outclassed on consoles.

Your post makes little sense. You're basically saying that because Nintendo's not getting their exclusives, they can't win. If that's the case:

XBO isn't getting Blood Born, Magicka 2, Uncharted, Grim Fandango, LBP3, Order 1886, Zelda, Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, Devil's Third, Splatoon... I'll stop there.

PS4 isn't getting Sunset Overdrive, Forza 5/Horizon 2, Halo Master Chief collection, Dead Rising 3 DLC, Spark, CrackDown 3, Zelda, Mario Maker, Captain Toad, Devil's Third, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Beyonetta 2, Splatoon... I'll stop there.

See how that doesn't make sense? It's easy to say someone lost because of the games it isn't getting. Hell I'm getting the third party games on PC. I based it on exclusives and for me, I like Nintendo's list better than Sony's and Microsofts.

PJV3

The Microsoft conference was very average, not surprising when the vision that the console was built on disintegrated.

EAD and SPD are like 10 development studios within one building, and practically the entirety of them make nothing but best-in-class Nintendo games.

Best in class Nintendo games does not equal best in class games, not even close to top tier games as far as i am concerned. And you should really talk about yourself instead of saying anyone.

geordiemp

No one is mentioning Nintendo yet they wiped the floor with both Sony's and MS's corpses.

Fucking "game journalism".

Eh ? Outside of people who already own or heavily into Nintendo do you think many will buy a wiiU after that...?

Seriously ?

I guess we will see in forthcoming NPD threads...

If Nintendo wiped the floor then we will see Nintendo WiiU win NPD next month.

You think they will ? Really ?

Your post makes little sense. You're basically saying that because Nintendo's not getting their exclusives, they can't win. If that's the case:

XBO isn't getting Blood Born, Magicka 2, Uncharted, Grim Fandango, LBP3, Order 1886, Zelda, Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, Devil's Third, Splatoon... I'll stop there.

PS4 isn't getting Sunset Overdrive, Forza 5/Horizon 2, Halo Master Chief collection, Dead Rising 3 DLC, Spark, CrackDown 3, Zelda, Mario Maker, Captain Toad, Devil's Third, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Beyonetta 2, Splatoon... I'll stop there.

See how that doesn't make sense? It's easy to say someone lost because of the games it isn't getting. Hell I'm getting the third party games on PC. I based it on exclusives and for me, I like Nintendo's list better than Sony's and Microsofts.

Your avatar is amazing lol

Microsoft did a great job of showing me what I want to buy on PS4 or PC.

Pretty much the same for me too. I was hoping they'd have more stuff like Sunset Overdrive, since I really don't like Halo or Gears and Fable 2 was tolerable and that's about it. I have no idea what Phantom Dust is since I didn't own an OG Xbox, and I never played Crackdown so I'm not sure what it plays like and the trailer told me nothing. Scalebound could be a seller, but again I don't know anything from the trailer.

I loved Nintendo's conference minus the NFC stuff. I'm not excited about that in the least.

-PXG-

My two cents:

Microsoft had a much clearer message and really consistent pacing throughout their entire presentation. Phil wasn't lying in the months and weeks leading up to E3. Their show was going to be nothing but games, game more games and nothing but games. They made a strong case for those to buy a Xbox One this holiday. Sunset Overdrive, Halo: The Master Chief Collection and CoD's timed exclusive DLC will be sure fire incentives for consumers this fall. And lets not forget that the Xbox One is also $399 now. They did give a glimpse into the future with teasers for Halo 5: Guardians, Crackdown 3, Phantom Dust and Scalebound. Like other companies, I think this is their only set back. Although we did get a taste for what is ahead in 2015 and beyond, it wasn't really enough to get me excited. They really didn't sell me the future as strongly as they should. Everything was about the present, the right now and the immediate. Teasers, prototypes and tech demos aren't enough to keep me engaged for what is to come. I need to see more to keep it fresh in my mind.

Anyway,MS did a good job at showing that ID@Xbox isn't just a gesture of good will but a real thing. Sony has been really aggressive when it comes to courting indies and small devs. MS is catching up and I think it was a smart move to actually show they they are serious about it. And that is what I really liked overall with Microsoft's presentation: They showed games. They let them speak for themselves. They had short snippets of devs talking about their favorite childhood games and such, and they had people talk on stage, but that was merely to give context for what they were about to show. There was no talk about sales, statistics or long winded explanation about non-gaming features and stuff we already know or don't care about.

On the other hand, this is where I felt both Sony and Nintendo were much stronger. They painted much clearer pictures as to what is in store for 2015. I already own all three consoles, but if I didn't, I would definitely consider getting a PS4 or a Wii U next year, particularly because Sony and Nintendo gave me insight and showed more of what they are offering down the road. Like Microsoft, Nintendo, for the most part, was no nonsense and got right to the point. Their presentation was all about the games and explained by those who make them as opposed to some random guy in a suit.

Overall, Sony was strong but they fell apart when Shawn Layden came on stage. I understand he was excited, nervous and needs to gain experience and learn how to find himself during these kind of events. However, he was far too long winded and bogged down in unnecessary details that most people don't care about. Even worse is when they went into excruciating detail about their partnerships with Disney and Marvel on the Powers TV show, or whatever it was. It deviated too much from what people were expecting and quite honestly, it was information overload. I'm not a comic book aficionado, so dropping all sorts of names of folks in that industry does nothing for me, and realistically, just goes over the heads of most people watching. It was this segment where it seemed like Sony had forgotten the notion of showing, instead of telling. Don't tell me about Powers, don't tell me about a new Ratchet & Clank game. Show me. Other than that, Sony did pretty well, but they could have done better.

After taking nearly everything in, it's pretty clear that all three companies aren't really prepared for the remainder of 2014. 2015 is going to be the real deal. Most of the games that everyone really cares about, that most people are excited for aren't coming until next year, if not later. I think the releases for this Fall are serviceable, some being pretty strong, but nothing that is a true knock out and nothing that would make me want to buy any one of their system's this very second at my local GameStop. Out of the three, Microsoft has the most promising lineup and had the most when it comes to what will be available in the near future. Halo: The Master Chief Collection was one of the biggest, if not the single most important, announcement of E3. That game along will drive a lot of Xbox One sales due to the fact that it's an insane value and jam packed with a lot of content and features. Even still, when you look at everything, that really isn't saying much.

No one had a bad showing and nothing that was shown was awful, but at least for this year, nothing really blew me away. But when speaking about 2015, that is a completely different ball game. MS, Sony and Nintendo all have compelling titles lined up and they all have something really special to offer.

Genuinely surprised at the "clear Sony victory" sentiment in the op quotes... Got the impression from gaf that it was honours even, with neither blowing anyone away utterly.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Why is no-one talking about Nintendo? Just because they didn't present. It still seems like, especially with a strong showing, it's worth talking about Nintendo as part of the overall games scene re E3.

iXqdBoG.gif

This is how I look at it:

If I wanted to get into gaming and I didn't have any platform to play games on... Sony wins.

Since I currently own a gaming PC.... Nintendo wins (which I will be buying a Wii U this holiday season).

That's just my opinion though. Not saying that Microsoft's conference sucked. They just didn't have anything to make me feel like I had to own a Xbox One.

JaseMath

Wii U feels so hollow without any third party support; it's genuinely a companion device at this point. I wouldn't have presented at E3 either...it's a bit embarrassing.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

Nintendo absolutely gets destroyed with games, that's the point. I listed both PS4 and XB games to be fair. If we're talking sheer quantity of great games, what is so hard to process that Nintendo cannot compete when they are missing pivotal 3rd party games alone? Nintendo brought a handful of interesting games and I want a WiiU more now but let's not kid ourselves here, they can't even hold a candle when they don't have so many games which will be on PS4 or XBor both.

I think Sony's conference could've rivaled last year's conference if they didn't take a relatively large chunk of time to talk about non gaming things (share uses, the Powers TV show, etc.,)

I still think they won based on content (games), but I think they really need to do better with the flow of their conferences going forward.

Rivitur

Banned
Sony won because they actually revealed new games. Xbox focused on games that we're already know/announced from last years e3 and that are coming in 2015.

old

My grades:

MS: B, lots of good games but no great games for me.
Sony: A, even more good games some even great, but lots of it isn't coming this year.
Nintendo: B, good showing of interesting and fun games.

Overall satisfied but not overwhelmed. No real megatons, just solid showings.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
So much focus was on games that are not even out this year that these might as well have been PAX South conferences. And everything that is coming out is getting crammed into the same over crowded window again. Publishers are weird.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
My rankings.

Nintendo: A-
Ubisoft: B
Microsoft: B
Sony: C+*
EA: D

*Sony showed some awesome stuff, but the lack of TLG, coupled with the cocktease of Vib Ribbon pissed me off.

Toki767

After watching the Microsoft and Sony conferences. I don't know that one won over the other per se.

The impression I did get was that Microsoft was trying to scrounge up support for their console whereas Sony seemed like they were easily taking their pick from the cream of the crop.

It's probably too dramatic to word it that way though.

I also think The Verge makes the best point about Microsoft and Sony's exclusive strategy. Microsoft exclusivity tends to be timed. Sony exclusivity tends to be content. Microsoft's strategy adds nothing and pisses off PS4 owners. Sony's strategy actually takes nothing away from Xbox owners but just gives more to PS4 owners.

In the end I enjoyed Nintendo's conference the best. It was short and to the point.

I give it a tie between Sony and MS. Maybe slight edge to Microsoft because they have the only two games I am really interested in this year with Forza Horizon 2 and Sunset Overdrive.

I enjoyed Nintendo's playfulness but they just didn't have the games for me. I think I can safely delay my Wii U purchase until the arrival of Zelda.

Overall -

MS - 6.5
Sony - 6
Nintendo - 4

Hype levels not met, roll on E3 2015 :)

alterno69

Banned
Sony's was the best for me, the first 60 minutes alone were great, the end was pretty cool too. The TV part was stupid as hell tho, but they showed so many games compared to Nintendo and MS it was crazy.

MS was Ok, Sunset Overdrive was cool, same with FH2 but everything else was CG and seemed like they pulled stuff from everywhere to try and fill the 90minutes of conference. They wasted too much time on multi platform stuff and i every time they showed a multi platform game i kept thinking, this will be great on my PS4. Halo collection is ok but not even conference worthy, we're talking decade old games and one of them had an HD version released not long ago. Again, cool package but noting amazing, will buy it for my kid mostly.

MS needs more Sunset Overdrive and less CG stuff. To me it looks like they have nothing for the middle term.

Nintendo, meh, not for me, i do wan't to get a WiiU eventually but it's still too expensive for what it offers me, besides i just bought an Xbox One a week ago plus my PS4 last year so i have more than enough new consoles to play with.

MrBadger

If I had to pick between Sony and Microsoft, I'd go with the guys that have the Platinum exclusive and Crackdown.

However, I think Nintendo blew the other two out of the water. While I didn't get what I wanted (Metroid pls) they didn't show a single bad game, legitimately impressed me with the direction of their next Zelda and showed off a Wii U sequel to the game that defined touch control on the DS. Splatoon looks like a really fun new IP, too.

Why is no-one talking about Nintendo? Just because they didn't present. It still seems like, especially with a strong showing, it's worth talking about Nintendo as part of the overall games scene re E3.

They are the ones who isolated themselves, the Nintendo Direct thingies are not the same thing as a full blown E3 conference.

BadAss2961

No one did anything special this year. No megatons were dropped. We're pretty much exactly where we were before the conferences happened.

There is no "winner."

StoopKid

I honestly don't think the ms and sony conferences were mic different in games shown.

I think they both have the same amount of exclusives for the year.

XenodudeX

Nintendo was the strongest. I couldn't honestly give a shit about anything MS and even Sony was showing off, and I have a PS4. It's the same fucking games every fucking year, and honestly I'm tired of it. I'm tired of the dark souls knock offs, tired of the gritty shooters, tired of the marketing buzz words and meaningless phrases. Their games just aren't as interesting as Nintendo's to me.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Nintendo's was the best by far, and any news outlet that claims that Sony was way better than MS I'm just going to assume is on Sony's payroll or trolling for clicks to be honest. At best I couldn't call it based on the content but Sony's was so boring that by the end I was losing the will to live.

Nintendo absolutely gets destroyed with games, that's the point. I listed both PS4 and XB games to be fair. If we're talking sheer quantity of great games, what is so hard to process that Nintendo cannot compete when they are missing pivotal 3rd party games alone? Nintendo brought a handful of interesting games and I want a WiiU more now but let's not kid ourselves here, they can't even hold a candle when they don't have so many games which will be on PS4 or XBor both.

And if you'll get those games on PC?
Only PS4 game Im interested in that was shown was Bloodborune and Grim Fandago
MGS disappointed and so did Journey type game
No Mans Sky was cool

Outside of that, Nintendo was the winner for me
Microsoft was solid but was missing one giant megaton bomb to complete it

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Nintnedo was amazing. I thought Microsfot was great as well, and while Sony showed many games, only Project Beast is really interesting there, so their show was mediocre imo.

PJV3

No one did anything special this year. No megatons were dropped. We're pretty much exactly where we were before the conferences happened.

There is no "winner."

I expected this year to be the big MS fightback, in the end it was Nintendo who played a blinder.

seady

They are the ones who isolated themselves, the Nintendo Direct thingies are not the same thing as a full blown E3 conference.

I really don't see the difference. For us who watch from our computer, the digital event gives as much information as the regular conference - except that it removes the pauses between each segments.

I understand the journalist perspective. Sony clearly won because they showed an overall vision with games, services and hardware. GAF will debate over who presented better, and who had the better games lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom