• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3D |OT| Remakes are a Nice Thing to Have… Heh, heh

Well I beat the game.
The final boss didn't seem different at all but man the area you fight in is as cool as it was in the original just much better. I didn't 100% it I plan to do that later.

I did not like the new Twinmold fight and the Gyorg fight either that much the new second phases. But it wasn't that bad overall and I still enjoyed it.

Majestad

Banned
Motherfucking UPS is taking forever to deliver my package. They been out for delivery since 7 am. Is almost 4 pm now...

I'm having a lot of fun with the game, never played it before. Went through 3 cycles checking out the town and Termina field without even entering the swamp.

Neiteio

Well I beat the game.
The final boss didn't seem different at all but man the area you fight in is as cool as it was in the original just much better. I didn't 100% it I plan to do that later.

I did not like the new Twinmold fight and the Gyorg fight either that much the new second phases. But it wasn't that bad overall and I still enjoyed it.
Did the final two forms of the boss look more detailed now? They were a bit blurry in the N64 original.

Edzi

Well I beat the game.

Please tell me that they didn't screw around with the colors for the final boss/final areas... Some of my biggest disappointments are the changes they've made to designs and colors, so I'm really really really hoping they didn't tamper with the colors/design of the end game areas/boss.

CassSept

Did the final two forms of the boss look more detailed now? They were a bit blurry in the N64 original.

Were there new official artworks for Majora's Wrath and Incarnation? I always had problem with these two as the designs are pretty busy, the game itself didn't do them justice (blurry as you said, really hard to make out the details) and all artworks I saw were low res.

Megatron

Where have you been?!

The N3DS can emulate the Circle Pad Pro using the c stick and extra buttons. MM3D has circle pad pro support. You can work the answer out from there.

Oh, so I can keep my 3ds xl and use my circle pad pro? Is that true for monster hunter, also?

Dartastic

For those of you who got the limited edition with the Skull Kid figure, is the game inside sealed and everything? My copy from GameStop won't be here for at least another week and I was thinking about buying a second copy of the game and returning the copy of the game inside the limited edition. I really want this game asap.

Rich!

Oh, so I can keep my 3ds xl and use my circle pad pro?

Yes.

There are ZERO N3DS exclusive features. The game is not optimized for the N3DS in any way whatsoever and the experience is exactly the same as on the old 3DS, only difference being the better 3D.

Alfredo

So, they didn't fixed my biggest issue with Majora's Mask: the off-center ocarina song titles!

D5ZSTPb.jpg

I remember this bothering me a lot when I was a kid. Ocarina of Time had the song titles centered, but Majora's Mask did not.

VmHNAyf.jpg

It felt sloppy. Or maybe there's some "deep" reason for this, like it's supposed to make you feel uncomfortable due to the strange nature of Termina...no that's dumb. :p

...also if you're worried that I hate the game because of this, no, that's not the case. This little thing is my "biggest issue" 'cause I freakin' love the game.

For those of you who got the limited edition with the Skull Kid figure, is the game inside sealed and everything? My copy from GameStop won't be here for at least another week and I was thinking about buying a second copy of the game and returning the copy of the game inside the limited edition. I really want this game asap.
Yeah it is

andymcc

Banned

Sealed and the upc isn't covered up either.

Rich!

Did anyone else ensure they collected 40 rupees from the bushes in the intro area before and just after being turned into a deku shrub? Or was it just me? I always do that. Make use of being outside of Termina whilst I can.

Reason? Money for Tingle map!

Zomba13

So, they didn't fixed my biggest issue with Majora's Mask: the off-center ocarina song titles!

D5ZSTPb.jpg

I remember this bothering me a lot when I was a kid. Ocarina of Time had the song titles centered, but Majora's Mask did not.

VmHNAyf.jpg

It felt sloppy. Or maybe there's some "deep" reason for this, like it's supposed to make you feel uncomfortable due to the strange nature of Termina...no that's dumb. :p

...also if you're worried that I hate the game because of this, no, that's not the case. This little thing is my "biggest issue" 'cause I freakin' love the game.

I never noticed that and now that you've pointed it out it will bug me forever.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
is majora's mask the one ring of the zelda universe

Supurb remake. I was initially underwhelmed by OoT's media but wound up very happy with the remake, and quite liked the balance of as it was combined with higher quality assets. MM however seems like a step up above that; overall even higher quality assets, more consist asset overhauls, and beautiful image quality.

Did anyone else ensure they collected 40 rupees from the bushes in the intro area before and just after being turned into a deku shrub? Or was it just me? I always do that. Make use of being outside of Termina whilst I can.

Yup. It's always the very first thing I go do.

I like and do not like the game at the same time. The world being brighter kind of takes away the end of the world feeling.
However, it is very pretty and controls well.

Overall a 4/5.

Filben

What do you mean by "centered"/"off-centered"? I don't understand.

Rich!

I like and do not like the game at the same time. The world being brighter kind of takes away the end of the world feeling.

Whilst possibly a valid complaint for Ocarina, I fully disagree with this complaint for Majoras Mask.

Majoras Mask on the N64 is absolutely full of bright colours, tribal paintings and garishly bright designs. Even before you get to Termina, you are blasted in the face with neon outlines of various masks in various strong colours.

Clock Town is a whirlwind of colour. Bright and garish masks litter the place. The clock tower itself is a beautiful painted design bursting with colour on every side. The deku palace is brightly painted together with vibrant tribal patterns. The swamp contains the Witches' Hut which is painted in bright colours and has multiple giant coloured pots around it. Woodfall itself is bright purple.

Snowhead temple's interior is a mashup of bright colours on the cooler spectrum. Great Bay Temple uses significant amounts of bright green, purple, blue and yellow neon colours for pipes, switches, platforms and walls together with an electronic based musical theme that compliments the electric visual style.

Even Ikana has old Ikana Castle which is painted throughout in bright primary colours and drawings of the sun.

I could go on for ages, right up to the final areas. Oh yeah. That final arena. Remember that? And all the crazy luminous colours and lights?

Majoras Mask is intended to be bright, garish, colourful and surreal. What you are remembering is the limitations of the N64's shitty texture cache and how that impacted on the game's visuals. This 3DS version is showing you the visual design as it was intended to be seen.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
wooooot, back to human form. Back in the day my cart's save got deleted twice, so the opening bit of MM has rubbed me the wrong way a bit, (I HATE IT) but can't wait to dive in now. The bank's new location threw me off a bit, but I haven't seriously played MM in, oh, 8-9 years? so it should be pretty fresh.

wooooot, back to human form. Back in the day my cart's save got deleted twice, so the opening bit of MM has rubbed me the wrong way a bit, (I HATE IT) but can't wait to dive in now. The bank's new location threw me off a bit, but I haven't seriously played MM in, oh, 8-9 years? so it should be pretty fresh.

It's making it easy to remember to deposit my rupees before a reset. I like the changes I've seen so far.

MattyG

Banned
I'm about to start. MM is the only 3D Zelda I've never played, and I'm going to try to do it without guides.

Holy shit the game looks amazing. Should I play with 3D on or off?

Rich!

Nah, normal 3DS XL.

Then up to you. 3D has a fair bit of slowdown in areas (near moons tear, during the song vortex effects in some areas, during certain areas of Termina field and when rolling as a Goron in certain areas of Termina field).

Can't believe they're not doing a Majora's Mask sequel on WiiU with Amiibo support. People would be killing each other for Amiibos of Link in each mask.

Not sure what the Amiibo could "unlock" in game though.

Rich!

Not sure what the Amiibo could "unlock" in game though.

Thankfully nothing in Majoras Mask 3D. Phew.

Would be furious personally if content was locked out of my favourite game of all time unless I bought a £12 piece of plastic tat. DLC at its absolute worst.

....I don't like amiibo.

Please tell me that they didn't screw around with the colors for the final boss/final areas... Some of my biggest disappointments are the changes they've made to designs and colors, so I'm really really really hoping they didn't tamper with the colors/design of the end game areas/boss.

No the colors weren't changed at all. It actually feels like an improvement to it to the original staying true to it honestly. Both areas before and to the final area looked really nice.

Woops, posted this in the wrong Majora thread.

This may be common knowledge but I found an infinite rupee "glitch" in the early game. I'm on the third day and already am about to get the new coin pouch. You just have to do the following:

The bottom of the staircase that leads to the telescope there are 3 vases. Each one has a blue rupee. Just go up and down the stairs and enter/exit the door and the 15 rupees will be back.

Bah got my LE from Amazon. As expected the box is all kinds of tore up. Wasn't going to sell it or anything just wanted to keep the box to display the figure in.
My box was torn, too. Shippinf packaging was fine. Contacted Amazon. They said the best they could do was a 10% refund.

MattyG

Banned
Then up to you. 3D has a fair bit of slowdown in areas (near moons tear, during the song vortex effects in some areas, during certain areas of Termina field and when rolling as a Goron in certain areas of Termina field).
Yeah I'm already noticing a little slow down with it on in the very first area, I think I'll turn it off.

Game looks fantastic though. Better than OOT3D even!

zeldarocks

Neo Member
Yeah. I got it too. It happens in the original. This is an enhanced port, so some glitches will remain as its derived from the base N64 code

Odd they didn't fix it.

Richard, you mentioned previously that the c-stick rotates the camera, and one has to press the L button to move the camera once more once the stick is let go of. Is that correct?

This is definitely some goooood stuff. Still bitter that I missed out on the LE, but oh well - I wouldn't want to make my Amiibos scared anyway.

My first order of business was letting the fine gentleman in the inn
wipe his dirty ass.
It feels good being at Woodfall and knowing that broski has already been well cared for.

Kriken

I refuse to overpay for those maps, I'll only buy one at a time in the area where they are used

Rich!

Didn't really think that was spoilers, but okay. Sorry about that.

That's cool...it's just the one area of the game I have stayed absolutely spoiler free on. I know how the other boss areas have been changed. Not Majoras. Up to great bay temple now, trying to keep totally spoiler free on changes to Twinmold and the endgame.

Richard, you mentioned previously that the c-stick rotates the camera, and one has to press the L button to move the camera once more once the stick is let go of. Is that correct?

No. Once you move the stick, it stays in whatever angle you set it as. You have to press L to go back to the default camera.

Well now you've quoted it.

..not that it's really a spoiler in the first place, but to each his own.

Didn't mean to quote it. It was a moment of hysteria. Didn't even know why it affected me so much, it wasn't too bad.

I just...damn, I do not want to know anything about how the endgame differs from the original. At all. Ever. Until I get there, of course.

Kriken

Huh, were you always able to
open Anju's room on the final day w/o doing the sidequest
before? I don't recall

Top Bottom