• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3D |OT| Remakes are a Nice Thing to Have… Heh, heh

Rich!

Furious?? Really? What exactly ruined it for you?
The fact there are bright colors?
Or that there are "areas" towards the end.
Seriously?

Oh come on.

I've been playing the game since 2000 and it's my favourite game of all time.

I heard there were big changes to the end section (please, no one confirm either way). I saw a post without spoilers in this thread about the very thing I am trying to avoid and I panicked after reading half. I want to encounter every single thing in the last act of the game myself without being spoiled on any changes.

Also, the OP states use spoiler tags. when talking about the final areas and arena of the game, is it really too much to ask for? Talk about the N64 version may be alright, but man...not the new stuff.

Loving the game so far. The visuals are a charm.

One thing that's slowly becoming more and more apparent, however, sit he hand-holding that's taking place throughout the game... first it was extra snippets of dialogue from characters telling me what to do, then it was the deku bubble reticule, then it was the save statue...

So far it's fairly inoffensive, so I'm not too worried... just hope nothing is majorly dumbed down.

Huh, were you always able to
open Anju's room on the final day w/o doing the sidequest
before? I don't recall

Yep.

The new Deku Link pond skipping is throwing me off so much. I don't mind building up momentum to skip, but it's frustrating because every time he lands on a leaf he comes to an immediate halt, making it hard to start up momentum again.

MattyG

Banned
I've never thought of this until now, but I love how Ocarina of Time is about time in the long term, and the Song of Time is used to change time in the long term, but Majora's Mask takes the same concept and changes it to the short term. It's a really clever way to do a sequel, I think. Similar concepts, different contexts.

Just finished the first dungeon, and I gotta say that I love the new
Odolwa fight. Odolwa in the original always came off as AWFULLY bland - shoot with arrows, stab with sword, repeat - but this one was a lot more fun. Plus having the first boss be fought partially as Deku effectively means that you fight each of the main bosses with a different transformation, which I think is neat.

Overall I'm loving the changes so far, remake seems very solid. The Bomber's Notebook in particular is a great way of keeping track of sidequests and the like. I wish the framerate didn't drop as often as it did, but alas. At least it hasn't really affected me in actual gameplay as of yet.

Did the bomber kids hide under boxes in the N64 version? I don't remember them doing that.
They did not, no. It's new! And fun. I feel like they added a lot of personality to the Bombers in general this time - I love how they give you "rumor" tips about various goings on in the world.

Anbec7

First time player of this awesome game sadly my adventure was cut short when the battery died (whyy!) so!

I was trying to figure it out... reading the tips about the Scarecrow
songs of double time and reverse, do I just play them or do I have to speak with both scarecrows? I only found the one on the observatory but I read there are 2.

So far I'm loving every second of it... until my battery died :(

First time player of this awesome game sadly my adventure was cut short when the battery died (whyy!) so!

songs of double time and reverse, do I just play them or do I have to speak with both scarecrows? I only found the one on the observatory but I read there are 2.

You can just play them. The other scarecrow is in the item shop, by the way. It's a bit handier to get to him if you need a scarecrow for any reason.

knkng

There's a shop in the west end of town that has the other Scarecrow in it.
Speak to him any time after you retrieve the ocarina and you can create a Scarecrow's Song and he will tell you about the double time/reverse songs as well.
Pretty sure that is optional though, you can just play the songs any time you want as long as you know how.

Kriken

In the original, the scarecrow hinted at what you needed to do for both
Play each note twice to move forward, and play it backwards to slow it down
here he doesn't tell you. But all you need to do is play them once and it's saved in your songbook

knkng

In the original, the scarecrow hinted at what you needed to do for both
Play each note twice to move forward, and play it backwards to slow it down
here he doesn't tell you. But all you need to do is play them once and it's saved in your songbook

He does, but it's not possible in the first time cycle. It never was.

mandiller

I just started playing this game for the first time. I never had an N64 so this is all new to me. Pretty cool so far, I love the spooky atmosphere

Vq8shjN.jpg

2wrSmxm.jpg

HAdyEWA.jpg

MegalonJJ

Banned
Can't wait to finally revisit this soon.

I know this is off topic, but how come EatChildren is no longer a Mod? I thought he/she was awesome.

Seda

The notebook popping up each time I do something in a quest is a little annoying considering I know the game in and out, but I can deal.

Can't wait to finally revisit this soon.

I know this is off topic, but how come EatChildren is no longer a Mod? I thought he/she was awesome.

He requested it. Busy with other things.

Kriken

That moment where you enter the first temple, see the first stray fairy and realize you forgot something important :/

knkng

Not true, the gifs in post two were from the first cycle

Sorry, I was referring to the one in the shop. Maybe you are still right, though, and the scarecrow in the shop also told about it in the first cycle in the original game. I always seem to remember it being tied with pulling out the ocarina, though.

Either way, the information is still made available from the scarecrow *eventually* in this version.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Just beat it. HOLY SHIT at that alternate ending. Makes the wait for Zelda U that much harder.

I kid I kid! Sorry Rich, it was too hard to pass up. :p

I never realized that
the worker breaks the rock to Romani ranch on the third day. Disturbing to see her so disoriented. The aliens always creeper me out as a kid

potam

Banned
Ughhhhh...can't decide if I want to pull the trigger on this game. I have such a hard time really getting into games on handhelds nowadays, but I've always regretted skipping MM on 64.

Why did I have to pick this week to try to start being frugal???

Wrapped up my system transfer to my shiny n3DS. Still waiting for it to charge, then I'm getting started on this baby. Haven't played Majora's Mask all the way through since 2009, so I'm looking forward to getting around to it again.

zeldarocks

Neo Member
Is it just me, or is the
exit to the far right of the Deku Garden from the Bean salesman new?
I don't remember it in the original. It seems to be a shortcut.

Btw guys,
moving platforms at the Deku Palace seem to remain stationary until Link lands on them, making them much easier to land on.
Surely this is new!?

Bogeypop

Did the bomber kids hide under boxes in the N64 version? I don't remember them doing that.

Two of
the Bombers
have had their
hiding spots
completely moved to those
boxes
in South Clock Town and the Laundry Pool. In the N64 Version they'd only hide in the
boxes
if you failed to
catch
them in their original position

I never realized that
the worker breaks the rock to Romani ranch on the third day. Disturbing to see her so disoriented. The aliens always creeper me out as a kid

You should talk to
the sisters
during the countdown. They and a lot of others have some very sad and touching final moments.

Jamix012

There are so many small and weird changes. This must be my 10th time going through the game and not being able to steal the Goron's room as regular link threw me off pretty hard. It was nice though, because it feels fresh.

Kriken

Is it just me, or is the

Btw guys,
moving platforms at the Deku Palace seem to remain stationary until Link lands on them, making them much easier to land on.
Surely this is new!?

Second one is definitely new, caught me off guard at first

Jamix012

Is it just me, or is the

Btw guys,
Surely this is new!?

Both new. The game also gives you checkpoints if you get caught during that flying segment.

Velcro Fly

Can't decide whether to play OoT/MM on my old XL without 3D or wait weeks or maybe a month or more to play them on a new XL with 3D on.

Think I'm just going to proceed with them on my old XL. Kinda want to play them both and I have plenty of games to play again with 3D on on a new XL

MattyG

Banned
I'm gonna repost this for the new page, plus I have another question now.

Question; do owl statues stay activated? Can I teleport to them even after I've restarted the day?

Also, if I turn off my system after saving at an owl statue, I'll be at that statue when I turn it back on, right? I just don't want to lose progress over something stupid.

Bogeypop

I'm gonna repost this for the new page, plus I have another question now.

Question; do owl statues stay activated? Can I teleport to them even after I've restarted the day?

Also, if I turn off my system after saving at an owl statue, I'll be at that statue when I turn it back on, right? I just don't want to lose progress over something stupid.

Yes to both questions.

MattyG

Banned
Yes to both questions.
Awesome, thanks!

Just got to the owl statue before the
swamp dungeon
, but I only have like 12 hours left so I'm just gonna play the Song of Time and teleport back. The time management doesn't seem nearly as stressful as I've heard people make it out to be.

kris.

Banned
Ugh there's so much change! I have like a routine when I play this and now it's all out of whack and I have to rediscover how certain things work. It's both lovely and infuriating!

Bogeypop

Awesome, thanks!

Just got to the owl statue before the
swamp dungeon
, but I only have like 12 hours left so I'm just gonna play the Song of Time and teleport back. The time management doesn't seem nearly as stressful as I've heard people make it out to be.

Precisely because of the changes to the Save System that you just asked I suppose. Used to it would erase your Owl Statue save after you loaded it in the N64 version, and that was already giving a dog a bone considering the Japanese Save System you couldn't make temporary saves whatsoever.

Ugh there's so much change! I have like a routine when I play this and now it's all out of whack and I have to rediscover how certain things work. It's both lovely and infuriating!

But that's what's so fun! I've just reverted back to being Child Link, and am stressing out over trying to do everything I possibly can from memory in Clock Town before moving off to the first area.

Haines

Banned
Is it possible to play this fresh with out reading up on tips/pointers and not getting frustrated?

I want to experience all these so hyped crazy game mechanics for myself but I don't want to just end up annoyed.

Top Bottom