• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3D |OT| Remakes are a Nice Thing to Have… Heh, heh

This game is fucking incredible, it's everything I've been waiting for. I'm already further into the first temple than I got the only other time I played this game so everything is fresh. Screw going out tonight, I think I'm just gonna play this. Unfortunately Best Buy hasn't even shipped my MM n3ds though so I won't get to make use of the new features for a while

I don't remember this too well and I'm finding it really hard to figure out the event triggers. I feel like I'm just standing around waiting for something to happen, and doing that all day for 3 days for each of the 4 areas of Clock town doesn't sound too appealilng. What am I doing wrong? I used a guide as a teen playing it but I want to do it on my own this time.

The Bombers give a few small clues but most of it seems to be blind luck.

KarmaCow

Got the game and just got to Snowhead. I've been trying to cram everything in a cycle so I didn't have time to complete the dungeon so I just got the item before restarting. It's so much more interesting having to rush to get to different events rather than skipping ahead to events triggers. I was considering doing it without slowing down time but I'm kinda surprised how much I've forgotten about the game. It took me a while to figure out how to get the Bunny Hood or rather
how to get the Brenner Mask
and I've completely forgotten how to start the Couple Mask quest. I know the broad strokes but for example I'm kinda dreading the Great Bay because I've forgotten where
to find more bottles

Dr. Buni

Are there only ten stray fairies in each temple now or I am just blind? Because I can't find more than ten fairies in the Woodfall Temple.

KarmaCow

Are there only ten stray fairies in each temple now or I am just blind? Because I can't find more than ten fairies in the Woodfall Temple.

There are 15.

As for finding stray fairies,
Wear the Great Fairy Mask, it will sparkle if there is one in the room. It's subtle though.

If you don't know where it is, you need to visit someone again in Clocktown.

There are 15.

As for finding stray fairies,
Wear the Great Fairy Mask, it will sparkle if there is one in the room. It's subtle though.

If you don't know where it is, you need to visit someone again in Clocktown.
I'm pretty sure some of the fairies are impossible to get without
the mask, anyway, as wearing it will draw some of the fairies towards you. I've noticed at least one that would have been impossible to physically reach. That's probably why Tatl keeps emphasizing that you revisit the fairy once you turn back to normal

Dr. Buni

Got the fairies and beat the first dungeon. I am feeling a bit conflicted about the first boss fight.

On the bright side, Deku Link is actually required in the fight, which is simply fantastic. Plus, Odolwa takes longer to die in the remake. What rubs me wrong is the fact Odolwa isn't as erratic as he was in the original. He danced a lot more in MM compared to MM3D. Now he stays holding his shield up most of the time, which is practical but also boring. He was my favorite first boss in the series, but now I have to rethink this.

Also, I assume the moths and the circle of fire were removed from the fight because Deku Link is required in the fight now? And he dies from touching fire, so...

zeldarocks

Neo Member
Does anybody else's circle pad creak under pressure? This is on the n3DS XL by the way.

It feels as though I am letting go of an elastic band, there is a very distinct "clank" sound to it.

Got the fairies and beat the first dungeon. I am feeling a bit conflicted about the first boss fight.

On the bright side, Deku Link is actually required in the fight, which is simply fantastic. Plus, Odolwa takes longer to die in the remake. What rubs me wrong is the fact Odolwa isn't as erratic as he was in the original. He danced a lot more in MM compared to MM3D. Now he stays holding his shield up most of the time, which is practical but also boring. He was my favorite first boss in the series, but now I have to rethink this.

Also, I assume the moths and the circle of fire were removed from the fight because Deku Link is required in the fight now? And he dies from touching fire, so...

Well it actually isn't required, since I managed to do it without even thinking about using the Deku mask lol.

MattyG

Banned
Just beat the first dungeon and got all the fairies first try without having to restart the day or anything. I really like everything about this game.

Oh wow the Sheikah Stone
even shows fairies and heart pieces now. It unlocks them as you progress in the story from the looks of it.

Porsche9146

Neo Member
This game holds up incredibly well. Incredibly. I'm only now leaving Clock Town so I haven't seen many of the changes yet, but I'm really enjoying the remake so far.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I kinda remember why I stopped playing this as a teenager. I have no idea what I am supposed to be doing like 95% of time.

Rockman

I feel like such an ass. I absolutely hated this game when it was first released. As a big Zelda fan the key components to it's gameplay for me is the feeling of exploration and discovery. Majora totally ruined that for me by enforcing the 72 hour time limit. Turns out I was playing the game wrong.

Mistle

Weird how in Iwata asks they bring up the challenge as being one of the main lures of this game and how it was all intentional, only to then remove most challenges in the remake. I get that they've updated it for a 2015 audience, it's just a shame that this is what a 2015 audience wants. Seems like in Iwata Asks, one of the main people deciding what gets changed never finished the original as it was too hard :(

*I feel I have to disclaimer complaints by mentioning that I realise there have only really been small changes, and I'm sure the game is still amazing. I'm just picky with this game and the original challenge it brought.

Edzi

Weird how in Iwata asks they bring up the challenge as being one of the main lures of this game and how it was all intentional, only to then remove most challenges in the remake. I get that they've updated it for a 2015 audience, it's just a shame that this is what a 2015 audience wants. Seems like in Iwata Asks, one of the main people deciding what gets changed never finished the original as it was too hard :(

*I feel I have to disclaimer complaints by mentioning that I realise there have only really been small changes, and I'm sure the game is still amazing. I'm just picky with this game and the original challenge it brought.

No need for the disclaimer, you're making a valid complaint. It really bothers me too.

Draconian

Alright, at the risk of asking something dumb here with these schedules in the Bomber's Notebook, are they showing me timelines that I've already witnessed of characters or are they telling me when I should try and find these people again?

MattyG

Banned
Once I've completed quests and they show up as "complete" in the Bomber's notebook, do they stay complete for good? Or do some reset when you play the Song of Time?

Vibranium

Banned
I'm blown away so far, I loved Majoras Mask on the N64 and I'm loving it here. I don't have a problem with any of the changes here, the colors are great and add to the weird atmosphere.

I would kill for a MM sequel on the next handheld or console. I feel like the most important things the Zelda team can learn from this game are the sidequests and the characters/world. I'm having tons of fun outside dungeons.

giapel

The game is amazing. This is the definitive version of Majora's Mask. All the changes I've seen so far have been for the better. The original wasn't challenging really. It was just frustrating and clumsy in places. They just polished it up really.

Busaiku

Will probably start this tomorrow.
Having never played this, how long should I expect?
Is it around Ocarina of Time's length? Shorter? Longer?

Durden77

There's something about the moon in this game in 3D that really fucks with my eyes, even on the new 3DS. I see double like crazy looking at it. A shame too because the rest of the game looks pretty fantastic with this new 3D.

Bogeypop

Once I've completed quests and they show up as "complete" in the Bomber's notebook, do they stay complete for good? Or do some reset when you play the Song of Time?

Yes they reset if you play the Song of Time, but as long as you get the Heart Piece, Mask, or other reward it shouldn't matter. Unless it's the certain multi-part side-quest. Though not counting that major side-quest a few other side-quests also unlock more side-quests. Side-quests in your side-quests if you will.

13 Heart Pieces, 8 Masks, and 1 bottle later, I should probably start heading to the swamp, eh

If you aren't entering the Swamp with 6 Hearts. You're doing it wrong.
9j6JBx0.png
But that's what's so great about the game you can do so much even before setting foot in the first dungeon.

McNum

13 Heart Pieces, 8 Masks, and 1 bottle later, I should probably start heading to the swamp, eh
13 heart pieces? How did you pull that one off? I can't remember most of the game for the life of me, but I really want a bottle soon.

Are fairies as OP as they used to be in Majora's Mask? Instant full life heal on death?

RagnarokX

I sure am glade I sprung for the n3DSXL. That crosstalk problem OoT3D had rears its head if stable 3D is off. Plus I can gyro aim with 3D on without blinding myself.

Seda

13 heart pieces? How did you pull that one off? I can't remember most of the game for the life of me, but I really want a bottle soon.

Heart piece spoilers

1.) In front of the tower entrance
2.) Peahat
3.) Dodongo
4.) Keaton
5.) Postman Hat on mailbox (bottle for giving the letter to Kafei's mom directly)
6.) Business Scrub secret stash
7.) Dancers
8.) Bunny Hood up slide
9.) Deku scrub 3 day minigame
10.) Hand in toilet
11.) Master Swordsman minigame
12.) 10 second postman minigame
13.) 5000 rupees in bank

Enthus

Is there any way to make the Octoroks leave the swamp after going back to day 1? I had less that a minute left after ending the first dungeon and now I can't go meet the Deku Butler.

Bogeypop

Is there any way to make the Octoroks leave the swamp after going back to day 1? I had less that a minute left after ending the first dungeon and now I can't go meet the Deku Butler.

I think you can
kill them with the Hero Bow.
Might have to beat the boss again to do the Butler
mini-game
since your "progress" there resets.

quabba

I sure am glade I sprung for the n3DSXL. That crosstalk problem OoT3D had rears its head if stable 3D is off. Plus I can gyro aim with 3D on without blinding myself.

Im shocked how good the stable 3d is. I can gyro aim with it and not lose 3d at all it just works.

I had severe crosstalk issues on the og 3ds with oot which made me play exlusively in 2d so I threw oot3d in to see if it was better and I didnt notice any in the 5 mins I played

Top Bottom