• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3D |OT| Remakes are a Nice Thing to Have… Heh, heh

McNum

is it recommended to play Ocarina of Time before this?
Yes. Very.

To the point where the game assumes you don't need to be told the controls at all. The remake plants a sign in the opening with it, but the game throws you into a chase from the word go and expects you to know what to do.

Also, a lot of the NPCs and quests reference OoT, it's part of what makes the game feel that slightly bit off since they may look like the NPCs you know, but they clearly are not.

Rich!

is it recommended to play Ocarina of Time before this?

Absolutely

I seriously, seriously advise against playing MM first. It throws you in the serious fucking deep end right from the start and assumes you know how to play. If you haven't played OOT first, a lot will be lost on you.

Also, its the direct sequel to OOT. And OOT is one of the best games ever made.

Bogeypop

Quoting again, because these four puzzle me a bit. Before the swamp...

You made
Kafei give up his Keaton Mask, AND got him to send that letter? How did you do that? Don't you need to go to that bandit hideout to get that far in this sidequest?

Probably send the
letter first
since it's easiest then do a reset to
get the mask

I'll be honest, I have no idea where you're talking about with the
secret stash. Tried flying all over South Clock Town, at least after getting the flower from the Scrub. Is it there or somewhere else entirely?

You have to
spot him
with the
Observatory Telescope
and
confront him in his secret stash
before you
give him the Land Title Deed or he leaves
until your next reset. Make sure you have
100 Rupees
. He asks for
initially for the
Heart Piece
but you can
haggle him down to 100

Also, I remember needing a mask to
inspire those dancing twins in the original. That's what you're talking about, correct?
Although, I can't remember at all how to get it or even which one it is.

You get it in
Northern Termina Field
. Fastest way to get it is to
exit out to Termina from West Clock Town, head north
, and you should see
4 big circles that are giant frozen mushrooms
on your map. Head to
the middle front one anytime from midnight to 6 AM
and
Kamaro
should be there. Play the
Song of Healing
and you have your
mask

/end dropping mad bars

rIMMGaW.png

frnXxyMh.jpg

Karalyn da best.

Congrats :D !

I really like how the Bomber Kids are working in the remake. They are actually useful this time for beginners and veterans. Also I'm relieved to see the Bomber Kids are hinting at the Scarecrow for the two time songs.

But I have a problem. How is it possible to steal the room key as a Goron? I spoke with Anju at 3 PM as a Goron but I just can't get the key.

McNum

Probably send the
letter first
since it's easiest then do a reset to
get the mask

You have to
spot him
with the
Observatory Telescope
and
confront him in his secret stash
before you
give him the Land Title Deed or he leaves
until your next reset. Make sure you have
100 Rupees
. He asks for
initially for the
Heart Piece
but you can
haggle him down to 100

You get it in
Northern Termina Field
. Fastest way to get it is to
exit out to Termina from West Clock Town, head north
, and you should see
4 big circles that are giant frozen mushrooms
on your map. Head to
the middle front one anytime from midnight to 6 AM
and
Kamaro
should be there. Play the
Song of Healing
and you have your
mask

/end dropping mad bars
Thanks, that's two more pieces collected. Now I just need to
figure out how to start the Kafei thing, and win all three days of Scrub Playground
and I should be at six hearts + one bottle before heading out on adventure. I'll leave the 13th piece for later, don't need it yet.

I am really enjoying myself with the game this time around. Picking up the remake despite being kind of lukewarm on the original was a good idea. I'm glad I gave it one last chance.

Bogeypop

I am really enjoying myself with the game this time around. Picking up the remake despite being kind of lukewarm on the original was a good idea. I'm glad I gave it one last chance.

That seems to be the general consensus of people who didn't play it or are playing it again after not enjoying it the first time. Hopefully Nintendo sees how much people like this and implement it in Zelda U. Wishful thinking probably.

I'm having the exact same problem. Since it was the first game is tried on my n3ds I thought my system is broken. Actually I tried to close one eye at a time and saw that the doubled moon is only on one side. It is rather strange.
It's ghosting, a well known problem in stereoscopic media. Knowing how it normally works, the moon in Majora should look better during daytime, try it.

kubus

Aww man anyone else get the Majora's Mask CE guide? It's BEAUTIFUL.

I suck at making cool photos but I tried:

It only cost me €18, but I would've paid double that. It's so pretty :D

Holy shit this is laughable. Remember the Zora swim change and its shitstorm?

You can actually swim just like in the original without magic. What do you have to do?

Hold A and press R.

It's so simple and its just as much fun in the original.

This is a good change. Its a really well thought remake.

I feel sad for the developers when they experiened that laughable shitstorm on GAF and YouTube.

Weiss

Banned
Holy shit this is laughable. Remember the Zora swim change and its shitstorm?

You can actually swim just like in the original without magic. What do you have to do?

Hold A and press R.

It's so simple and its just as much fun in the original.

This is a good change. Its a really well thought remake.

I feel sad for the developers when they experiened that laughable shitstorm on GAF and YouTube.

This is with a filled magic bar, right? I know you can make little dashes when your meter is depleted.

Semajer

Do you get anything from the new fishing holes? Does it keep a record of your best catch? Are there any new fish not from OOT?

BY2K

Membero Americo
Man this is a different kind of Zelda game.

Also, I wasn't too sure about the change that the Happy Mask Saleman is the one that gives you the Notebook, but I get it now.

ShadowOwl

Do you get anything from the new fishing holes? Does it keep a record of your best catch? Are there any new fish not from OOT?
What, there was anything else than your standard bass type fish in different sizes in OoT? :p Yes, there different types of fish now.

neoemonk

I had this on the N64 back in the day and quit out of frustration because I didn't know about the time changing songs. Son of a gun.

Bogeypop

Aww they changed the way
Elemental Arrows
stacked. I liked the way OoT 3D did it where they were all stacked on the
Fairy Bow
with a
sub-menu to choose which type of arrow
you wanted. Now they're an individual item.

Kjellson

The shooting games in Clocktown and in the swamp are 1000 times easier now with the gyro controls. I replayed this game a bunch of years ago and could never beat them, but now they're cakewalks. Thank god.

Durock

So I just finished the first dungeon in the game and I took notice with something that is griping at me. Did they signifcantly reduce the damage that Link takes in this game? I had might as well been invincible during the Odolwa fight. Any hit taken would barely shave off half a heart, if even that.

Did anyone else take notice of this or am I dilusional from having not played the game in a decade?

McNum

Thanks for the help guys. Six hearts, one bottle. Time to hit the swamp.

I would never have thought of going for THAT bottle this early.

Bogeypop

Thanks for the help guys. Six hearts, one bottle. Time to hit the swamp.

I would never have thought of going for THAT bottle this early.

It's all ogre now.

Should be getting some more nice, clean recyclable glass soon enough.

So I just finished the first dungeon in the game and I took notice with something that is griping at me. Did they signifcantly reduce the damage that Link takes in this game? I had might as well been invincible during the Odolwa fight. Any hit taken would barely shave off half a heart, if even that.

Did anyone else take notice of this or am I dilusional from having not played the game in a decade?

You're not delusional. I also thought I was able to take too many hits from
Odolwa
and be fine. Just fought a
Wizzrobe
miniboss and remember his
Ice Spell
doing at least two or two and a half hearts of damage, but it barely took half a heart. I think the
Gecko + Mad Jellies
miniboss in the third dungeon will be the true test since I recall his
grab
attack doing tremendous damage in the original version.

Slixshot

Banned
Just made it to the first temple. I remember a lot more of this than I thought I would. Been playing a couple hours and loving it.

gerudoman

The shooting games in Clocktown and in the swamp are 1000 times easier now with the gyro controls. I replayed this game a bunch of years ago and could never beat them, but now they're cakewalks. Thank god.

It's crazy how well gyro aiming works. I remember thinking how lame and pointless it was going to be when it was announced in OoT 3D, but once I tried it I can't go back to using the stick.

Filben

...the text that says " you played xxxxx " is off-centre in Majoras Mask.

Not that hard to understand really. The images he posted show it quite clearly.
OMG, I was looking at the notes and completely missed the text. Now I do understand. And yes, it was hard xD

It's ghosting, a well known problem in stereoscopic media. Knowing how it normally works, the moon in Majora should look better during daytime, try it.

Ah, ok. I always thought ghosting means that the two different pictures that are produced by the system do not overlap perfectly (like with the old 3ds when you moved your head). Thanks.

TaKeRx

I bought Ocarina of time when it came out back in 2011. Played it for a couple hours then I sold it. Well... I got Majora's Mask yesterday and the first cut scene is about
the Ocarina
. I closed the 3ds lid and stopped playing.

This got me thinking... Should I have finished Ocarina first? I see that the game is selling at a premium at the moment which sucks.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I bought Ocarina of time when it came out back in 2011. Played it for a couple hours then I sold it. Well... I got Majora's Mask yesterday and the first cut scene is about
the Ocarina

This got me thinking... Should I have finished Ocarina first? I see that the game is selling at a premium at the moment which sucks.
OoT is not necessary in order to unterstand MM, but helpful for some background info. OoT is great though, so if you find it you should buy it.

ShadowOwl

the Ocarina

Absolutely

I seriously, seriously advise against playing MM first. It throws you in the serious fucking deep end right from the start and assumes you know how to play. If you haven't played OOT first, a lot will be lost on you.

Also, its the direct sequel to OOT. And OOT is one of the best games ever made.
I'm not sure you'll like MM if you didn't enjoy OoT? What made you quit playing OoT?

Yrael

the Ocarina

If you want the "true experience," so to speak, I think I would recommend playing Ocarina of Time first, since the two complement each other so well. Part of the strangeness of Termina lies in the fact that it is a parallel world to Hyrule - most characters that you meet have counterparts that behaved very differently in OoT. It makes everything quite different emotionally.

Also, agreed with richisawesome - Ocarina of Time is amazing.

The new Bomber's Notebook is fantastic, I've been running all over Clock Town adding events to my notebook. Not a fan of the Happy Mask Salesman just straight up giving it to you, but I guess its useful for new players.

I'm actually really surprised there has been nothing blatantly telling you how to slow or fast forward time.

Pappasman

I've gotta give it to them, I've been liking the visual upgrades a lot more than I thought I would. I'm not a fan of a lot of the changes they made, but overall this game is still phenomenal.

Gyro aiming > everything else

Anbec7

So... did the music get remastered? did we get some new tracks? I never could play the original so...
EDIT: Also sometimes the screen gets smaller.... why is that?

Top Bottom