• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3D |OT| Remakes are a Nice Thing to Have… Heh, heh

Draconian

smh at all the people asking if you should play Ocarina of Time before this.

OF COURSE!

It's a much better 3D Zelda to start with, and it's one of the best games of all-time anyway.

Crayolan

Really? Then the graphics were so strongly polished that I cant remember the places anymore, outstanding work.

And well the fact that you can't get the stone mask before you enter the fortress allows for a deeper gameplay experience.

I like the
new location for the Stone Mask. It's a really neat idea to place it in the fortress and let Tael give a hint to you. It was a typical Zelda AHA moment for me!

Fuck...I've never done it without the Stone Mask. I'm not sure if I'll be able to do all of Great Bay in one cycle anymore if I have to spend so much time in the Fortress.

Edit: Wait I just remembered
the bow stuns the Gerudos for a really long time
So it shouldn't be a huge issue, just a little extra time wasted in each room.

TheMoon

A bit OT but does anyone know if the c stick is usable in OoT3D as well?

Of course not. That was long before even the Circle Pad Pro existed.

Full-color yes but there aren't any pictures to find on the SD card. Do you have to so some sidequest in order unlock that feature or is it simply non existent?

I looked that up from zeldawiki ... haven't gotten the pictobox yet so no clue^^

Ace 8095

The 3ds has really became an awesome Zelda system. Two amazing remakes and the best traditional zelda since LTTP. So much better than the DS trash.

Rich!

The 3ds has really became an awesome Zelda system. Two amazing remakes and the best traditional zelda since LTTP. So much better than the DS trash.

Right now, you can have a 3DS with all of these Zelda games on it:

Zelda 1
Zelda 2
Link's Awakening
Ocarina of Time
Majoras Mask
Four Swords
Minish Cap (ambassadors only)
Oracle of Ages
Oracle of Seasons
Link Between Worlds

I mean, fuuuuuck that's almost the entire series.

Kriken

Gyro aiming makes the target minigames a cinch

I was thinking the same thing, had my best score on the
river targets
and I never failed the
Clocktown shooting gallery
. I actually like the idea that Zelda U has Gyro controls to compliment the sticks

atbigelow

Thank you for moving the underwater fairy bubble in the first temple, nintendo. That was by far the most annoying one in the dungeon.

BTW I fucking love this game. Its only better now. Bomber's Notebook is much improved and the save changes are actually great being detached from the time cycle.

Dr. Buni

The 3ds has really became an awesome Zelda system. Two amazing remakes and the best traditional zelda since Link's Awakening. So much better than the DS trash.
Fixed :)

Btw, can someone tell me what quests can I do after the second dungeon? What masks are available to pick? So far, I have:

Deku
Goron
Of Scents
Great Fairy
Blast
Bremen
Don Gero

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Bomber's Notebook is not handholding-ly at all. What the hell was GameXplain thinking saying it was? It only takes note of what an NPC told you, nothing else.

Rich!

The Bomber's Notebook is not handholding-ly at all. What the hell was GameXplain thinking saying it was? It only takes note of what an NPC told you, nothing else.

Yep. And the few clues it gives are ridiculously cryptic.

ALM5252

This game sure is Majora's Mask alright. Seen lots of slowdown during my playthrough, funny thing is that isn't a negative at all. Really gives me nostalgia to see the game stutter during certain situations. Lol

I've also been arranging my masks in the same order as they are in the N64 version as I obtain them. Love this game. <3

I'll make sure to double dip and get the digital version in the future.

TheMoon

Did you not trust The Boat when he was disproving that right away? :)

Anybody experience a weird thing where when pressing L to recenter camera behind, then pressing up to start moving the direction link is facing before the camera finishes moving, stops the camera and link moves in whatever direction the camera was in while spinning. E.g., 90 degrees, 18 degrees, whatever.

DNAbro

Hey doods, anyone have a rough ballpark guess on how much this would be worth?

cZuYZ1r.jpg

There is a guy selling/trading for it on Craigslist and I already offered him a sealed copy of my MM soundtrack. But if I'm not getting totally screwed, I might be willing to trade him my extra LE MM game w/ the Skull Kid figurine.

uhh I am not an expert but I would say very little. The soundtrack and game are worth way more.

Just beat the 3rd temple, boss thoughts

Wow that was the first time I have been legitimately challenged in this game. Was incredibly cool to see how they changed it. 2nd half of the fight was a actually a bit difficult and I really like they did something different mechanically.

Also does anybody know what rewards you get for fishing? I also saw something strange in the Great Bay fishing area.
It looks like there is a cave underwater that is blocked by leaves.

Rich!

Hey doods, anyone have a rough ballpark guess on how much this would be worth?

cZuYZ1r.jpg

There is a guy selling/trading for it on Craigslist and I already offered him a sealed copy of my MM soundtrack. But if I'm not getting totally screwed, I might be willing to trade him my extra LE MM game w/ the Skull Kid figurine.

Go ahead with that deal if you want to live up to your username.

You are gonna get ripped off. That standee is worth absolutely nothing. At best, its a neat curiosity, but it is basically worthless. The stuff you are willing to trade for it have actual real value right now and their values are going to increase over time. Don't be a fool!

Sorry if this was already asked/answered, but I'm on the fence about the getting the New 3DS.. How does MM run/play on a normal XL. What are the differences? Are they worth $200?

DNAbro

Sorry if this was already asked/answered, but I'm on the fence about the getting the New 3DS.. How does MM run/play on a normal XL. What are the differences? Are they worth $200?

i don't think there are any performance differences. Just C-stick controls.

TheMoon

There are exactly 0 differences aside from the camera control being native to the C-Stick on New3DS and requiring a Circle Pad Pro (XL) on the old models. That said, since the original game didn't have any camera control, they are entirely non-essential and might even be more distracting than useful most of the time.

Kinsei

Banned
Some of you know I was really against some of the changes and, well, I've just finished eating.

crowplate.jpg

The pausing of the journal isn't as annoying as I thought it would be, and it has even gotten me to do things I never did in my original playthrough (like winning the lottery).

MattyG

Banned
Yes! You uh, press any button. Its kinda funny you never noticed that you can skip that cutscene by simply pressing a button. Same goes for the cut scenes for slowing down time, speeding up time and warping via the song of soaring.
What the fuck how did I never try that.

Dr. Buni

Some of you know I was really against some of the changes and, well, I've just finished eating.

crowplate.jpg

The pausing of the journal isn't as annoying as I thought it would be, and it has even gotten me to do things I never did in my original playthrough (like winning the lottery).
Yeah, I will have to eat a crow as well. The game is actually better thanks to some of the changes.

Neiteio

crowplate.jpg

Happy to hear it. :-3 I haven't had much time to play yet. Only played through the intro and saved outside the clock tower. Still in the first three days.

Neiteio

Hahahaha hoooly shit

I gave up trying to find the stone mask because
the soldier is no longer in the place he was in MM64
. Defeated, I went to the pirate fortress anyway.

Guess what?
the soldier with the stone mask is in the fortress now

Makes no sense
Makes perfect sense. That's the best place to use that mask.

BowieZ

Banned
I gotta say I had to put this game down after a while because after completing the initial 3 days I felt a bit directionless and overwhelmed: I mean, I knew I could now go to the dungeons (well, access to the swamp seemed possible) but I felt I was missing stuff at Clock Town, like a bigger wallet, and it was confusing about how you lose most things by going back in time but it took me a while to figure the bank saves money regardless. I think I'm now on the right track though.

Then Termina Field seemed a bit empty and there's only 4 dungeons that I'm aware of... I'm a bit concerned but I have faith.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
First ever play through for me.

I'm about done with the first 3 days and I just got to the observatory and got a stone. Is that good progress? lol.

I'm a bit afraid about this whole time mechanic.

Seda

I'm about done with the first 3 days and I just got to the observatory and got a stone. Is that good progress? lol.

Without spoiling anything, there's one more step you need to figure out before time runs out.

The first three days is a bit different than the rest. Once you get the ocarina, time is yours to control.

Kriken

Nothing to fear about the time mechanic, once you get your Ocarina back, time bends to your will

Neiteio

You still need to give that stone to someone in town who wants it. And then use what they give to reach a place you couldn't reach before.

JerkShep

The Goron Elder was a bit more...hidden...in the original right? I have not such a good memory for all the changes, played the N64 years ago. Enjoying a lot though, got 20 Heart Pieces (so 9 full hearts currently), next cycle I might go for the Snowhead Temple.

Woodfall Temple was good, as I remembered it. I guess it's the best starting dungeon in the Zelda series period, nothing can compare. It's a bit cheating, I know.

RK128

Got the game today and....man, Nintendo and Grezzo did a fantastic job remaking this classic :').

The visuals look fantastic and I love all the little touches the game has (new easter eggs in the Bomb Shop, posters all over Clocktown, a mini-clock town in the Mayor's place). In addition, the smoother frame-rate really helps make the game look 'faster'; Link and his Deku form (didn't gain the Goron and Zora masks yet) have great animations and the new cut-scenes the game has do a great job setting up areas more. Overall, fantastic presentation all around :D.

I didn't think I would enjoy the touch screen features as much as I did but man, having a map on the touch screen present at all times, having song sheets when you are playing the Orcerena, and the ease of swapping items/masks with the touch screen all make the game play faster then the original I found :).

While it makes the game easier, I noticed a lot of little changes that help the game:
-When you go into the swamp, you gain the song of souring right from the get-go
-The which with the red potion bottle is in the forest that you need to give the potion to the weakened which
-You do not need water for growing Magic Beans anymore
-You respawn right near the magic bean spot/deku flower when the guards catch you
-Feather statues very common throughout Termina

They do not detract from the game at all, but I just found them to be interesting inclusions to the game :).

Really enjoying the remake so far and I'm glad more people can play this classic :).

Almost starting Snowhead.

Funny story,
I am playing the JP version and got to the dog race. I realize I cannot read any dog responses. I decided to go with dogs with an ! in their phrase.
I got it the third try. Poor Chuggaaconroy...

Kriken

Almost starting Snowhead.

Funny story,
I am playing the JP version and got to the dog race. I realize I cannot read any dog responses. I decided to go with dogs with an ! in their phrase.
I got it the third try. Poor Chuggaaconroy...

I always found the blue dog to be useless, don't care if he says good things, he ALWAYS sucked in my playthroughs

Aeana

I'm surprised I managed to come in first in the goron race on my first try. I expected to be there for a while.

Picked this along with a new red 3DS XL yesterday. I never really played Majora's Mask prior to this, I had the Gamecube disk- but never got too far into it.
Actually, I've played quite a few but never beaten one. Is there anything I should know diving in? Other than what is in the OP of course.

royox

While it makes the game easier, I noticed a lot of little changes that help the game:
-When you go into the swamp, you gain the song of souring right from the get-go
Casualized

-The which with the red potion bottle is in the forest that you need to give the potion to the weakened which
Only on 2nd and 3rd day.
-You do not need water for growing Magic Beans anymore
Yes you do.
-You respawn right near the magic bean spot/deku flower when the guards catch you
Casualized
-Feather statues very common throughout Termina
They even added one on every temple entrance. Once again, casualized.

Top Bottom