• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3D |OT| Remakes are a Nice Thing to Have… Heh, heh

MattyG

Banned
Ah, nevermind I figured out the problem. I had to
go meet the monkey first. I guess it didn't recognize that I knew the song until I redid that.

hitgirl

Playing this for the first time and really enjoying it. The bombers notebook is awesome at making the game less of an anxiety trap, which I felt when I originally demoed it on N64. Big improvement for me.

RagnarokX

Can I not go back in Woodfall temple again after I leave it and reset the days? I've
gone to the shrine, played the song, and the temple didn't appear. Now I can't play the song anymore.

What exactly do frogs do, and how do I catch them? I keep seeing them around and I have no idea what to do with them.

The ocarina doesn't work. You need to use a particular musical instrument.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I didn't caught on this when I played the game as a kid but... Link is going to make the Clock Town economy crash hard with the stamp system and constant time travel.

Dice//

Banned
Honestly, I don't know how I'd manage a first run of this game without a guide. Familiarizing schedules on my own sounds like a bit too much hassle for me right now.

Jamix012

I didn't caught on this when I played the game as a kid but... Link is going to make the Clock Town economy crash hard with the stamp system and constant time travel.

Eh. Doubtful it'd be any worse than any other Zelda game. You can literally create money pretty much by cutting grass if you so desired. That is, you create money without really providing an equivalent service so yeah, things wouldn't really be good in any Zelda game.

Pomo

03d241fcee5430fab05c2d10a25b0693.png

DirtyLarry

So I never have played this game, this is my first time.
When it first released in 2000, Around 1998 I took a self imposed break from video games to get my career up and running. I am happy to say I was able to do just that, but it did mean close to a 4-5 year hiatus from seriously playing video games. It was a choice I made and it did ultimately pay off.
Once I did get back to a place I was okay playing video games again, since part of me focusing on my career was teaching myself computers (I did not touch a computer in college), I was at that point primarily a PC gamer. As such I overlooked some classic console releases. This was one of them.

So with that said, This game is just not for me.
At one point in time it absolutely would have been.
Unfortunately I just do not have the time to dedicate to playing and enjoying it.
I only get to game in short bursts. 15 minutes here. 30 minutes there. If I am really lucky 60 minutes here and there.
This is the reality of my life and will continue to be. I am not getting any younger.
As such free time is a precious commodity.

This game is not friendly to those who have such limited time.
Hell, I have even started looking at a walkthrough once I realized my predicament, and just reading it confirms I would never ever figure what needs to be done on my own in any sort of realistic timely manner.

In all fairness, I knew this may be the case going in.
But now that I have gotten my copy and gotten some hands on time with the game, this is absolutely confirmed.

Oh well, going to trade it in to Amazon for $23 so it is not a total loss.
In fact if anyone wants a hardly used copy for that price, send me a PM. I submitted my trade in to Amazon but will not be shipping it out until Tuesday.

My 18 year old self would have loved this game. I would have played it days on end.
My 40 year old self just cannot find enjoyment out of it and am calling it a day before it completely frustrates me to no end and ultimately becomes a huge waste of time.

It is unfortunate. But just how things are.
Certain games require a commitment. This game is one of them. I just cannot commit.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I think it can be played in short bursts. Just decide what task you want to focus on per play session. Plenty of save and warp points.

Dungeons might be a big trickier though. About to tackle Woodfall in my next play session. Pretty much forgot everything about this game hah

I think it can be played in short bursts. Just decide what task you want to focus on per play session. Plenty of save and warp points.

Dungeons might be a big trickier though. About to tackle Woodfall in my next play session. Pretty much forgot everything about this game hah

He could also leave the 3DS on rest mode. I do that with Pokemon and will start doing it with MH4. That way you can easily play in burst even without saving.

Unfortunately I just do not have the time to dedicate to playing and enjoying it.
I only get to game in short bursts. 15 minutes here. 30 minutes there. If I am really lucky 60 minutes here and there.
I think most of my sessions have hovered around the 30 minute mark.
Yeah I think I fucked something up. I need to get back into Woodfall Temple. Played the Song of Awakening, no Woodfall temple popping up. Tried to play the song again, and the animation won't play. I even rebooted the game and I still can't play the song. Shiiiit.
Ah, nevermind I figured out the problem. I had to
go meet the monkey first. I guess it didn't recognize that I knew the song until I redid that.
You didn't have to, as I've revisited the temple without doing anything else. Remember what the monkey said:
the sound made by your puny little ocarina wouldn't travel far
. That's a general rule/concept that applies for most of the temples, as well.
That is a good point :). The only changes that annoy me a bit is the now limited uses of the Ice Arrows.
Except for one room in a certain dungeon, at least.

Ants

I feel like I spend a lot of my cycles wandering around aimlessly, waiting to see what changes, and being unproductive. Are other people doing the same? I'm assuming the only people warping around constantly setting alarms all the time are people who've played this before?

Don't feel like that's a bad thing! Part of the magic of Majora's Mask is that many of the characters have their own lives, which move along with or without your input. It's fascinating to just see a character's routine over these 3 days. :)

===

I was dubious when I heard initial reports but man I do not like the change to swimming. It's way more intuitive but holy shit is it slow. There should be a way to enter that fast swimming mode without consuming magic.

Who

Banned
Of course not. That was long before even the Circle Pad Pro existed.

Even if I can't verify it:

MM 3D has just been released and required a lot of programming to get the new camera system working for the C-stick (check the latest Iwata asks)

OoT 3D is from 2011.

Do the math.

Ah well, okay that makes sense.

It will likely be quite jarring going from MM3D on my n3DSXL to OoT3D without cstick support but hey, whatchagonnado.

I still own the VC version on my Wii, so if I want to play a 'pure' version of MM, I still have the original to play through then :).

I kind of think that's what's disappointing about some of the changes. Yeah, you can go back and play the original if you want, but then you miss out on the 3DS version's improvements like the more solid framerate. It would have been great for the 3DS version to absolutely be the superior one, instead of the changes just being a mixed bag.

Bogeypop

I was dubious when I heard initial reports but man I do not like the change to swimming. It's way more intuitive but holy shit is it slow. There should be a way to enter that fast swimming mode without consuming magic.

I actually find it less intuitive. Took me a minute to get used to it. I even ran out of Magic before going into the
Pirate
Fortress, and couldn't use the
Lens of Truth
to see the soldier, so I had to go buy a Magic Potion and come back.

I actually find it less intuitive. Took me a minute to get used to it. I even ran out of Magic before going into the
Pirate
Fortress, and couldn't use the
Lens of Truth
to see the soldier, so I had to go buy a Magic Potion and come back.

I did it without
meeting the soldier, where is he?

Edit: nvm.

Bogeypop

I did it without
meeting the soldier, where is he?

He's behind
a crate
right in the middle of that
ladder
you have to
climb
before dropping the
beehive
on the
Pirates
to get the
Hookshot
. Still requires a
Red Potion
as well.

Part of me wants to do the Zora dungeon without infinite magic (shoutouts to
the Milk Bar
)...but the other part of me is asking why I should break years of tradition.

Crayolan

Some of you know I was really against some of the changes and, well, I've just finished eating.

crowplate.jpg

The pausing of the journal isn't as annoying as I thought it would be, and it has even gotten me to do things I never did in my original playthrough (like winning the lottery).

Thrilled to hear it. I know you were one of the most adamant posters against the changes, and as someone who thinks the game was near perfect in its original form hearing good word about the remake from both you and rich makes me feel like I have nothing to worry about.

amnesiac

Been noticing some pretty bad framerate drops in certain parts when using 3D on my original 3DS.

Wonder if the New 3DS handles the game better since it has more power.

(Amazing game though.)

quabba

Been noticing some pretty bad framerate drops in certain parts when using 3D on my original 3DS.

Wonder if the New 3DS handles the game better since it has more power.

(Amazing game though.)

Its been reported that performance is the same on n3ds. It probably isnt a n3ds enhanced title it just has ccp support.

Meesh

Not sure if anyone feels the same, but in missing the gorgeous instruction manuals of the SNES era I've found myself buying up the strategy guides for today's games. I guess I'm saying I bought the limited edition MM guide to take the place of the manuals of old...silly, it's not the same, but all the gorgeous artwork is in there of the ones I've bought so far. I dunno, I'm an old gamer I guess trapped in a digital world.

I feel like I spend a lot of my cycles wandering around aimlessly, waiting to see what changes, and being unproductive. Are other people doing the same? I'm assuming the only people warping around constantly setting alarms all the time are people who've played this before?

That's part of the game I think. The bombers help you out in this version but the whole point of the game is to slowly learn things about people, and then end up helping them. You have time at your disposal to do this. And it's even easier now because you can forward to any time you want with the song of double time..
Think of groundhog day. Bill Murrays character spends who knows how many days getting to know about the lady so he can finally convince her to sleep with him. It's kind of like that.

amnesiac

Its been reported that performance is the same on n3ds. It probably isnt a n3ds enhanced title it just has ccp support.
Interesting. No big deal though, game is too good.

Not sure if anyone feels the same, but in missing the gorgeous instruction manuals of the SNES era I've found myself buying up the strategy guides for today's games. I guess I'm saying I bought the limited edition MM guide to take the place of the manuals of old...silly, it's not the same, but all the gorgeous artwork is in there of the ones I've bought so far. I dunno, I'm an old gamer I guess trapped in a digital world.

I wonder if strategy guides to modern games will get valuable as time goes by. Nobody's buying them anymore.

Meesh

I wonder if strategy guides to modern games will get valuable as time goes by. Nobody's buying them anymore.
So hard to say, I doubt it, but there's something to be said for having a physical guide as opposed to a digital one like MH3U. I'd like to imagine there's still a place in the modern gamers world for physical guides, I mean as time goes by the industry seems to cut more and more out so there's even less for us to tangibly hold onto...I suppose I'm hoping there's more than a few gamers who still enjoy the old school manuals and wouldn't mind replacing those at least with guides. I'm rambling I know, but if these few brave gaming warriors continue to buy guides I hope that they live on cuz the digital ones kinda suck.

I'm currently playing through OoT and loving it. I've got MM ready to play when I finish. However I could do with a few questions answered as I'm confused about the time mechanic in MM.

1. When you complete a dungeon and get whatever reward at the end, if you rewind time do you keep that item? I'm guessing you must do in order to complete all the dungeons in time right?

2. Do you keep items you win from side quests too or do these reset? From my understanding they do which is why you have to try keep to your timetable?

Thanks in advance :)

Bogeypop

I had underestimated how long it can take to do all the sub events that open up after the second dungeon.

I did as well. Barely managed to get the third dungeon open before having to reset.

I'm currently playing through OoT and loving it. I've got MM ready to play when I finish. However I could do with a few questions answered as I'm confused about the time mechanic in MM.

1. When you complete a dungeon and get whatever reward at the end, if you rewind time do you keep that item? I'm guessing you must do in order to complete all the dungeons in time right?

2. Do you keep items you win from side quests too?

Yes to both questions.

Pomo

Oh man, something just occurred to me that I'd never caught on to before.

In Ocarina of Time, Darunia names his son after Link. Is the Goron whose reservation you steal at the inn Darunia's son?

McNum

Hm, it's 7:40 on the Night of the First Day, you stand at
the entrance to Woodfall Temple
, you're carrying two bottles. One empty and a fairy. Time is slowed down. The Owl Statue has been activated. Do you rewind?

How long is 58 ingame hours in real time?

, you're carrying two bottles. One empty and a fairy. Time is slowed down. The Owl Statue has been activated. Do you rewind?

I completed it in less than a day with time slowed down. You should be fine.

Bogeypop

Oh man, something just occurred to me that I'd never caught on to before.

In Ocarina of Time, Darunia names his son after Link. Is the Goron whose reservation you steal at the inn Darunia's son?

Might just be that
Goron's
Termina counterpart, and not the actual one since he'd be too young. Kind of like how the
Romani Ranch
sisters are counterparts of just one person despite being different ages.

You've got more than enough time especially since you've already slowed down time.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

2. Do you keep items you win from side quests too or do these reset? From my understanding they do which is why you have to try keep to your timetable?

With item loss it basically comes down to quest specific goodies and consumables/ammo. Items that are part of a specific quest arc will be lost upon reset, as acquisition and use might require certain criteria and possessing them on reset might break the process. Consumables/ammo, like your bombs/arrows/whatever will all return to zero to, I guess, prevent farming (and because fuck you). You will keep all masks and essential gear, so even if your bombs and arrows reduce to zero you'll still have your bow, bomb bag, quiver, and associated upgrades.

Ants

The general rule is if an item occupies a slot on the mask or items screen, you retain the ability to obtain it, but your quantity of it resets to 0. So if you get the Bomb Bag, you lose all your bombs, but you can still buy/forage for them.

The game will show you all of the items you will lose on the bottom screen before you reset the cycle, in case you're not sure.

When
time has slowed
, every minute in game is about two seconds in real-time. So an hour in-game is 2 minutes in real-time. 58 hours in-game is almost 2 hours in real-time. Zelda dungeons usually don't take 2 hours to complete, and Majora's Mask dungeons are on the short side. If you make it to the dungeon's Key Item, you retain that when you reset the cycle. If you make it to the boss but fail to defeat it, you can immediately warp to the boss from the Majora's Mask thing at the entrance of the dungeon. In short, you have plenty of time, and even if you don't finish, you'll likely retain either all your progress, or so much that what you lose will be trivial in comparison.

Even though I replayed the game on Wii VC I feel like I don't remember how to start most side quests... Have done Woodfall and a couple of small things but still have very few masks.
Not that I'm complaining, I'll just poke around more and breathe in the atmosphere ;)

Rich!

When
time has slowed
, every minute in game is about two seconds in real-time. So an hour in-game is 2 minutes in real-time. 58 hours in-game is almost 2 hours in real-time. Zelda dungeons usually don't take 2 hours to complete, and Majora's Mask dungeons are on the short side. If you make it to the dungeon's Key Item, you retain that when you reset the cycle. If you make it to the boss but fail to defeat it, you can immediately warp to the boss from the Majora's Mask thing at the entrance of the dungeon. In short, you have plenty of time, and even if you don't finish, you'll likely retain either all your progress, or so much that what you lose will be trivial in comparison.

Actually, a slowed down cycle is exactly three hours. Not two.

Not sure where people keep getting two hours from - I've had to correct people before, and I have even verified it by timing it myself.

I played through a slowed cycle from the start to nearly the end yesterday in one session (5am, one hour to armageddon) and it came to three hours of gameplay in total.

Pomo

Might just be that
Goron's
Termina counterpart, and not the actual one since he'd be too young. Kind of like how the
Romani Ranch
sisters are counterparts of just one person despite being different ages.

Huh. I guess the name just throws me off, and that
he seems to be traveling

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

You should actually burn another day running around the town and only tackle the dungeon on day 3 for maximum tension.

FFFFFUUUU-

I was just doing the march with the B
remen Mask and all of the chicks started turning into Cucco's, and right before the last one changed... "It looks like this place is about to close, let's get outside."
D:

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Just beat the first dungeon, really getting into the game now. It really is like OOT3D in the way that it looks like how you remember it, only more so. Music and ambience is off the chart.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
FFFFFUUUU-

I was just doing the march with the B
remen Mask and all of the chicks started turning into Cucco's, and right before the last one changed... "It looks like this place is about to close, let's get outside."
D:

:(

Rich!

Never would have imagined just how perfect this game is for playing on a handheld.

I'm between dungeons and I'm just playing in short bursts doing a subquest or a bit of a subquest each time. Its amazing, brilliant for the handheld system its on, and the new save system definitely helps cater to that.

Never played it like this on the old version.

LAA

Stuck on this side quest if anyone knows what to do, would appreciate it.
In the zora cave with the musicians and etc. a side quest is telling me someone is having problems with the lights. I shoot the top 4 fire stands with fire arrows and the stands light up on the bottom floor, now it seems in the N64 version after talking to him he'd give me ruppees and that would be done, however now he's just telling me to rehearse before they go out, tried playing music and etc. but nothing happened. Even tried setting up the music stage again for when you lulu back inside but the lighting guy disappeared.

It may be my last side quest so very eager to finish it!

Top Bottom