• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3D |OT| Remakes are a Nice Thing to Have… Heh, heh

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Time in MM is like dying in Souls. Other games have conditioned you to fear and avoid it, but this requires you accept it as a fundamental system. Relax and embrace it.

royox

The race against the Deku butler is b.s. His excuse for basically attempting to murder you is a poor one.

His excuse is "Oh...so...sorry for almost killing you while running, you remind my of my son who died time ago and we used to run together"

That motherfucker killed his own son xD

Seda

I probably save less often now than I did in the original game, in actuality. I just kinda keep progressing, completing quests, resetting without remembering that I should save every once in a while.

Sakura

I played up to the point of where you get the Ocarina last night before I passed out (way too tired)
Even though I haven't fought anything yet, I already feel like the game has been made a lot easier. Maybe it's all in my head, but finding those bomber shits was way easier than I remember. In vanilla Majora's Mask, I remember those kids kiting me around town and only being able to catch them if I trapped them in a corner or something.
Also, somewhat disappointed there wasn't a Hero Mode option.

3DShovel

Casualized

Only on 2nd and 3rd day.

Yes you do.

Casualized

They even added one on every temple entrance. Once again, casualized.
Sorry HxC master.

A lot of these changes help the game be better suited for a handheld experience.
I played up to the point of where you get the Ocarina last night before I passed out (way too tired)
Even though I haven't fought anything yet, I already feel like the game has been made a lot easier. Maybe it's all in my head, but finding those bomber shits was way easier than I remember. In vanilla Majora's Mask, I remember those kids kiting me around town and only being able to catch them if I trapped them in a corner or something.
Also, somewhat disappointed there wasn't a Hero Mode option.

I'll check this out when my game arrives on Monday. I always found it really easy, so I'll know something's up if it's even easier.

Sorry HxC master.

A lot of these changes help the game be better suited for a handheld experience.

Yeah, compromises needed to be made to put the game on handheld.

Majora's mask is designed around long play sessions, and with the relatively unstable nature of handheld gaming (short play times, battery life, etc) there's no way the original would work without it putting off a ton of handheld players.

Kriken

Sorry HxC master.

Agreed, although the selfish part of me wanted an HD remaster like that fake from a few years ago
legend-of-zelda-majoras-mask-hd-fan-teaser.jpg

I'd still buy it

RK128

Casualized

Only on 2nd and 3rd day.

Yes you do.

Casualized

They even added one on every temple entrance. Once again, casualized.

Welp, guess the stuff I pointed out made the game worse then :(? Either way, I'm enjoying the remaster and I still own the VC version on my Wii, so if I want to play a 'pure' version of MM, I still have the original to play through then :).

I guess Nintendo made these changes so that the game is more welcoming to newcomers in the series then anything....that may not be a good thing but it isn't a bad thing either :l. Either way, more people now have a chance at playing this classic, so it is reasonable why Nintendo made changes to MM. Granted, the game wasn't super hard either but what are you going to do :)?

K' Dash

Sorry HxC master.

I'll check this out when my game arrives on Monday. I always found it really easy, so I'll know something's up if it's even easier.

He's right, they're spoonfeeding you some stuff that wasn't necesarily hard to find, and please stop with the handheld argument, you can close your 3DS at any time, even if it was the old save system and you were in the middle of nowhere you could teleport to an owl statue and save the game if your battery were running out.

The game doesn't save when you play the Song of Time, does it? It used to do that... Right?! F My Life.

There are save points every 3 steps, they removed the Song of Time saving, I think I have saved like two times since I started, I just do some stuff, reset time and close the 3DS when I'm tired.

Dad

I spent the entire 3 day cycle trying to find the last stray fairy in Snowhead, found it, and immediately reset the the cycle without getting the reward. I'm screaming.

There are save points every 3 steps, they removed the Song of Time saving, I think I have saved like two times since I started, I just do some stuff, reset time and close the 3DS when I'm tired.

I know they're everywhere, but I almost never used the statues in vanilla Mm. Starting at the beginning of the cycle just made for a better start. Lost an hour or so, but now I know better at least.

K' Dash

I know they're everywhere, but I almost never used the statues in vanilla Mm. Starting at the beginning of the cycle just made for a better start. Lost an hour or so, but now I know better at least.

Yeah, I know, if I were paying other games on my 3DS it would have problably happened to me too.

I spent the entire 3 day cycle trying to find the last stray fairy in Snowhead, found it, and immediately reset the the cycle without getting the reward. I'm screaming.

This your first time playing the game or was an accident? I'm laughing because that happened to me a couple of times in the N64 version.

Welp, guess the stuff I pointed out made the game worse then :(? Either way, I'm enjoying the remaster and I still own the VC version on my Wii, so if I want to play a 'pure' version of MM, I still have the original to play through then :).

I guess Nintendo made these changes so that the game is more welcoming to newcomers in the series then anything....that may not be a good thing but it isn't a bad thing either :l. Either way, more people now have a chance at playing this classic, so it is reasonable why Nintendo made changes to MM. Granted, the game wasn't super hard either but what are you going to do :)?

The changes you listed are so minor that it's hard to be upset by them IMO. The only major change is the saving, and that's because going multiple hours without saves don't fly on handheld.

Busaiku

Uhh, so I beat the Woodfall Temple, but I didn't get to do anything at all afterwards after getting the song, cause I was basically out of time.
Do I have to do it all over again?

So how pointless is the deku bubble change? Was the concept of an arcing projectile baffling to new players as well?

"It just removes the frustration/tedium of learning to aim"

Marjar

Banned
Uhh, so I beat the Woodfall Temple, but I didn't get to do anything at all afterwards after getting the song, cause I was basically out of time.
Do I have to do it all over again?

If you have a boss's remains, all you have to do is go back to the temple and it'll let you teleport to the boss room and you just have to beat the boss again.

kunonabi

I probably save less often now than I did in the original game, in actuality. I just kinda keep progressing, completing quests, resetting without remembering that I should save every once in a while.

I only save when I need to switch carts or the battery is about to die. I don't see any other reason to save thanks to sleep mode.

Marjar

Banned
Boss's remains being the song?

The remains is the mask you get after beating a boss. Basically, if you beat the temple boss, next time you enter the temple there will be a portal that takes you to the boss room. The songs are just what you use to reveal the temples so that you can enter them.

hatchx

Banned
Did you guy's notice in the bomb shop that there's a Gamecube behind the store clerk?

I'm really blown away by the graphical upgrade in this game. It seems like they've done a lot more detailed texture work and added lots of details compared to OOT3D. It's really a joy walking into rooms and looking around them with the camera.

jokkir

First time playing this too. Actually, I played halfway through the N64 one a while ago but don't remember much of it. This will be a new Zelda for me
3AQmK.gif

I'll try the N64 version after too and see how different it is.

MattyG

Banned
The race against the Deku butler is b.s. His excuse for basically attempting to murder you is a poor one.
Seriously dude's an asshole.

I did that with the Woodfall temple. Luckily there aren't many to find in that one, and it's a small dungeon.

RK128

The changes you listed are so minor that it's hard to be upset by them IMO. The only major change is the saving, and that's because going multiple hours without saves don't fly on handheld.

That is a good point :). The only changes that annoy me a bit is the now limited uses of the Ice Arrows and the nurfed Swimming with Zora Link, and even then, the later has a way to deal with that (Romani Milk).

Just beat the Woodfall Temple and beat the Deku Butler, and I am still impressed with the upgraded visuals; so many of the characters look better then their N64 counter parts alongside the dungeon looking better then the N64 version :D.

It is so great to replay this classic with so much care put into it :).

PikkonX

I was too obsessed with the PS2's release as a kid to pay this game too much attention, but I'm loving it now. One thing I realized is the "Ben" Creepypasta will make a lot more sense by the time I'm done.

Wow, so I was being pretty dumb in Snowhead Temple
and didn't remember the room with the rising platform so I could get around the pillar to higher floors, but I still managed to get further ahead to the boss key and door by jumping from a higher spot above the path blocked by the snow balls.

Just trying to figure that out and get the last stray fairy took almost the entire 2nd day lol.

Draconian

I feel like I spend a lot of my cycles wandering around aimlessly, waiting to see what changes, and being unproductive. Are other people doing the same? I'm assuming the only people warping around constantly setting alarms all the time are people who've played this before?

I feel like I spend a lot of my cycles wandering around aimlessly, waiting to see what changes, and being unproductive. Are other people doing the same? I'm assuming the only people warping around constantly setting alarms all the time are people who've played this before?

Are you talking to the bombers? They will give you rumors about how to start events.

What's up with the walls in this game? When stuff happens next to them, the camera seems to go a bit wonky. Completed the first dungeon today and defeated the boss close to the door, and when the death cinematic started to play, camera rotated through the wall. The wall became invisible, but the boss door was still visible and blocked most of the scene.

Also had another instance of invisible wall when I played the owl's song near a wall in Laundry Pool, but it was only for a split second.

Dr. Buni

Man, I just wasted like 30 minutes looking for the second frog in Woodfall Temple, only to realize there is only one frog in said temple.

MattyG

Banned
Can I not go back in Woodfall temple again after I leave it and reset the days? I've
gone to the shrine, played the song, and the temple didn't appear. Now I can't play the song anymore.

Man, I just wasted like 30 minutes looking for the second frog in Woodfall Temple, only to realize there is only one frog in said temple.
What exactly do frogs do, and how do I catch them? I keep seeing them around and I have no idea what to do with them.

Busaiku

Why are there so many Fairy fragments when we're on a time limit...
And they reset when you go back...

This game will drive me nuts (it already kind of is); I can see why it's so divisive.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Liking the game a lot. I hate the constant clock countdown though. I feel it adds a bit of stress for no real reason. Seems like a pointless feature.

RK128

Can I not go back in Woodfall temple again after I leave it and reset the days? I've
gone to the shrine, played the song, and the temple didn't appear. Now I can't play the song anymore.

What exactly do frogs do, and how do I catch them? I keep seeing them around and I have no idea what to do with them.

I have no idea about the temple song not working, but for the frogs, they are part of a very long side quest latter in the game X(. In Snowhead, after helping out a Goron, he will give you the Frog Mask, which is used to conduct a song with frogs throughout the game....the issue is, that two of them reside in temples (and both of them evil/cursed).

The best bet is do the side quest after you beat Snowhead, then do the following:
-wear the mask and head to where the river is in Clocktown, wear the frog mask and talk to the frog
-head to the swamp and use Deku Link to hop across water (till you reach a spot where their is floting logs). Jump to the log with the frog, put on the frog mask, and talk to it.
-re-visit Woodfall temple and fight the frog mini boss. After beating it, you will free a frog; put on the frog mask and talk to it
-re-visit Snowhead temple, beat the frog mini boss. Then put on the frog mask and talk to the frog.
-Beat the snowhead boss then you will warp in front of the last frog. Don the frog mask and get you piece of heart :D!

I'm not kidding, the frog side quest (at least in the N64 version) only has a piece of heart as a reward :l.

Either way, hope this helps :).

MattyG

Banned
Yeah I think I fucked something up. I need to get back into Woodfall Temple. Played the Song of Awakening, no Woodfall temple popping up. Tried to play the song again, and the animation won't play. I even rebooted the game and I still can't play the song. Shiiiit.

I have no idea about the temple song not working, but for the frogs, they are part of a very long side quest latter in the game X(. In Snowhead, after helping out a Goron, he will give you the Frog Mask, which is used to conduct a song with frogs throughout the game....the issue is, that two of them reside in temples (and both of them evil/cursed).

The best bet is do the side quest after you beat Snowhead, then do the following:
-wear the mask and head to where the river is in Clocktown, wear the frog mask and talk to the frog
-head to the swamp and use Deku Link to hop across water (till you reach a spot where their is floting logs). Jump to the log with the frog, put on the frog mask, and talk to it.
-re-visit Woodfall temple and fight the frog mini boss. After beating it, you will free a frog; put on the frog mask and talk to it
-re-visit Snowhead temple, beat the frog mini boss. Then put on the frog mask and talk to the frog.
-Beat the snowhead boss then you will warp in front of the last frog. Don the frog mask and get you piece of heart :D!

I'm not kidding, the frog side quest (at least in the N64 version) only has a piece of heart as a reward :l.

Either way, hope this helps :).
Thanks!

Dr. Buni

You need a certain mask to talk to them, the
Don Gero's Mask
which you get at
the Mountain Village, doing... something
. Then you need to reunite the
___five____
frogs, to get something.
Liking the game a lot. I hate the constant clock countdown though. I feel it adds a bit of stress for no real reason. Seems like a pointless feature.
The game is built around the time mechanic. It is supposed to add stress and tension and the game wouldn't be the same without it. You don't like it and that is alright, but no, it is not a pointless feature, at all.

Top Bottom