• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3D |OT| Remakes are a Nice Thing to Have… Heh, heh

Stuck on this side quest if anyone knows what to do, would appreciate it.
In the zora cave with the musicians and etc. a side quest is telling me someone is having problems with the lights. I shoot the top 4 fire stands with fire arrows and the stands light up on the bottom floor, now it seems in the N64 version after talking to him he'd give me ruppees and that would be done, however now he's just telling me to rehearse before they go out, tried playing music and etc. but nothing happened. Even tried setting up the music stage again for when you lulu back inside but the lighting guy disappeared.

It may be my last side quest so very eager to finish it!

If it's the one I'm thinking of, you actually have to play the rehearsal notes with the ocarina, not the guitar.

Bogeypop

Stuck on this side quest if anyone knows what to do, would appreciate it.
In the zora cave with the musicians and etc. a side quest is telling me someone is having problems with the lights. I shoot the top 4 fire stands with fire arrows and the stands light up on the bottom floor, now it seems in the N64 version after talking to him he'd give me ruppees and that would be done, however now he's just telling me to rehearse before they go out, tried playing music and etc. but nothing happened. Even tried setting up the music stage again for when you lulu back inside but the lighting guy disappeared.

It may be my last side quest so very eager to finish it!

Did you help the
Zora near the sound system
by taking out your
Zora Guitar
? Think all that
stage prep
has to be done before completing
Great Bay Temple

LAA

If it's the one I'm thinking of, you actually have to play the rehearsal notes with the ocarina, not the guitar.

Ah didn't try that, sucks. What do you mean rehearsal notes though,
You mean the song you create with another band member who you need to play to another one to make him play the song or just the temple song?

Did you help the
Zora near the sound system
by taking out your
Zora Guitar
? Think all that
stage prep
has to be done before completing
Great Bay Temple

Yeah I believe so, the sound system Never seems to be prepped though, he just says "too loud" or "too quiet", and I believe only that and the lights are the only preps?

I believe the side quest is called "Light it to right it", but I don't have the name or anything unlocked yet as I only unlocked it through a kid telling me about it.

Bogeypop

I believe the side quest is called "Light it to right it", but I don't have the name or anything unlocked yet as I only unlocked it through a kid telling me about it.

All you have to do is go to the top of the
Zora Hall
and
light the two torches
on the left and right side then talk to the
Zora
in the middle of the
clam
and he'll give you
5 Rupees
. Unless it becomes uncompleted when you discover more parts to it. That's all there is to it.

LAA

All you have to do is go to the top of the
Zora Hall
and
light the two torches
on the left and right side then talk to the
Zora
in the middle of the
clam
and he'll give you
5 Rupees
. Unless it becomes uncompleted when you discover more parts to it. That's all there is to it.

Ah just figured it out now. Was a simple solution just had to
talk to the guy before and after lighting the torches as human link, when I was talking as zora link before, then he gives ruppees.

JonnyKong

Two questions,

Is it vital I return the deku Princess to the king? Do I get an award? Not sure if I can be bothered to fight the first boss again.

In regards to the stray fairies, if I find ten for example, return those to the fairy cave, then reset time, do I have to find those ten again or are they essentially saved in the cave?

Thanks Gaf :)

Two questions,

Is it vital I return the deku Princess to the king? Do I get an award? Not sure if I can be bothered to fight the first boss again.

In regards to the stray fairies, if I find ten for example, return those to the fairy cave, then reset time, do I have to find those ten again or are they essentially saved in the cave?

Thanks Gaf :)

Return the Deku Princess to initiate another event that will give you a reward.

IIRC all stray fairies have to be returned in a single cycle.

Guys, I need your help. Are some of you already in the bottom of the well? I have a question. In the original version there was a Gibdo that said:" give me ten refreshing blasts" I thought it always was hilarious. However, in the German version of the 3D remake it says no longer refreshing explosions but "give me something that explodes", and I really think that takes a lot of charm from the well, some other Gibdo were changed too - in the German version.

I want to ask you if in the English version of the game the Gibdos are still saying hilarious things or not (especially ten refreshing blasts) its quite a bummer to me since its iconic, I want to know if I should blame the English or the German translators.

Also the other bad change in terms of writing in the well would be that milk gibdo. In the original German version it said "give me something rich of calcium" now it says "play the song near a cow". Seriously?

Thanks.

3DShovel

Never would have imagined just how perfect this game is for playing on a handheld.

I'm between dungeons and I'm just playing in short bursts doing a subquest or a bit of a subquest each time. Its amazing, brilliant for the handheld system its on, and the new save system definitely helps cater to that.

Never played it like this on the old version.

I'm so excited to jump in. And, I was just thinking last night how great Twilight Princess would be on a handheld as well.

Rich!

Hahaha now I know how they managed to keep the postman's schedule exactly the same despite clock town being larger than in the original.

Following him around on the second day - every so often he starts running at twice the speed for a few seconds. Its hilarious. He just sprinted through the square in east clock town, and was as fast as me with the bunny hood on.

JonnyKong

Right, I'll go fight that first boss again. Luckily he was rather easy. The only reason I didn't pick up the Princess in the first place is because I spent ages looking for something to carry her on, who knew she'd fit into a darn
bottle

MANGOD

Banned
The expert sword lesson! I am about to through this thing out the window. What am I missing?
Just cant get the controls right

Bogeypop

The expert sword lesson! I am about to through this thing out the window. What am I missing?

I remember having some trouble with it and having to redo it once or twice in the N64 version, but oddly I was able to do it first try on the 3DS version. Only specific thing I did was stand in the middle of all the logs so I was equal distance from all of them at any given time.

Get close to a log. Stop moving. Hold L. Press A.

I tried it like ten times before I worked it out. If you go running at a log and target it on the way there you miss pretty often because the camera angle makes it hard to line yourself up. If you stop moving completely, holding L will automatically point you in exactly the right direction, so all you have to do is press A (no stick input) to leap and slash and nail the log every time.

Dr. Buni

FFFFFUUUU-

I was just doing the march with the B
remen Mask and all of the chicks started turning into Cucco's, and right before the last one changed... "It looks like this place is about to close, let's get outside."
D:
Lol. The same thing happened to me last night.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
So if you don't make it to the clock tower during the first set of 72 hours, what happens, it's just game over right? I was literally counting down seconds as I had spent time talking to every NPC and exploring each building and my heart was just racing. I also..... had not saved at all yet.

LAA

Just beat the game, but pretty disappointed with the end...
The final bosses were ridiculously easy. I did get the deity mask, but it was quit literally a hold L and mash B to win with the mask, felt very unfullfilling. That the ending felt bizarre. You went all this way with the fairies and you're just told to go while they enjoy the celebrations

LAA

Btw, anyone have a good guide regarding pieces of hearts and sidequests?

I used a zelda dungeon guide. Just be aware some of what it has sometimes isn't quite he same as the 3DS version and most of it is following the N64 version but some of it has been updated for the 3DS version.
The major ommission for me was
the stone mask, the N64 had it where you had to show the guy the ninja mask for a tree to appear to hookshot too, but instead its in pirate fortress near a crate. Also the giant mask is obtainable in a boss fight so you don't have to worry about finding it now

TheMoon

Liking the game a lot. I hate the constant clock countdown though. I feel it adds a bit of stress for no real reason. Seems like a pointless feature.

"No real reason" ... I think you've missed the point of this game entirely.

Never would have imagined just how perfect this game is for playing on a handheld.

I'm between dungeons and I'm just playing in short bursts doing a subquest or a bit of a subquest each time. Its amazing, brilliant for the handheld system its on, and the new save system definitely helps cater to that.

Never played it like this on the old version.

And it already proved to me that the new save system was an absolute necessity for this version. I went out and got on a train for a 30m ride to a different city, started playing the game on the train. On the train I got up to the part where you have to find the Bombers but still had one kid missing when I had to get off. Later, I wanted to got a McDonald's to get the free Majora's Mask 3D theme from the Nintendo Zone. Never having used a Nintendo Zone before I was surprised to learn that it's an actual app you get when in range and you have to launch it to access the thing that gives you the code. So being able to just run over to the Owl Statue and save, quit, open the Nintendo Zone app to get the theme, and then being able to resume mid-quest on my ride back has vindicated this new system immediately for me.

MANGOD

Banned
Get close to a log. Stop moving. Hold L. Press A.

I tried it like ten times before I worked it out. If you go running at a log and target it on the way there you miss pretty often because the camera angle makes it hard to line yourself up. If you stop moving completely, holding L will automatically point you in exactly the right direction, so all you have to do is press A (no stick input) to leap and slash and nail the log every time.
Cheers mate done it pretty much straight after with this. Less is more! I was stick inputting whislt holding L and pressing a and it was driving me crazy

I'd like to play mostly blind but this is annoying me too much:

After Snowhead, the Goron elder tells me to come back to him after I entered the races and made my decision. I enter the races, get the dust, forge the sword.. and he still says the same. Is there something else supposed to happen there?

A yes or no answer would be enough.

Rich!

apvpjc.JPG

Link recreating "The Builders" episode from Fawlty Towers

"Manuel towers how can help you today?!!!?"

Bogeypop

I'd like to play mostly blind but this is annoying me too much:

After Snowhead, the Goron elder tells me to come back to him after I entered the races and made my decision. I enter the races, get the dust, forge the sword.. and he still says the same. Is there something else supposed to happen there?

A yes or no answer would be enough.

No.
Case of mistaken identity.

Semajer

Does anyone know of a detailed location guide for the fishing holes? I'm having trouble getting the carnivorous, earthquake and secret fish in the Swamp Hole.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Man, I love this game so much. Still by far the most conceptually interesting narrative, setting, and antagonist in the series.

LAA

Hmm for what I disappointed about, I just found out about this theory, which will likely never be confirmed, but it does explain things I'm disappointed in and another few weird things
Like how no-one remembers you despite seeing them all before in OOT and despite this being a sequel to OOT

Spoilers of course in the link, only watch if you've beat it and interested in a possible theory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S1SVkysIRw

TheMoon

Hmm for what I disappointed about, I just found out about this theory, which will likely never be confirmed, but it does explain things I'm disappointed in and another few weird things
Like how no-one remembers you despite seeing them all before in OOT and despite this being a sequel to OOT

Spoilers of course in the link, only watch if you've beat it and interested in a possible theory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S1SVkysIRw

Oh the Link is Dead theory again ... prepare to be ripped to shreds :D

Dr. Buni

Man, I love this game so much. Still by far the most conceptually interesting narrative, setting, and antagonist in the series.
If more games in the series were like Majora's Mask, it would be easily my favorite gaming series. Sadly (or not) MM is unique in almost every way.
Just beat the game, but pretty disappointed with the end...
The final bosses were ridiculously easy. I did get the deity mask, but it was quit literally a hold L and mash B to win with the mask, felt very unfullfilling. That the ending felt bizarre. You went all this way with the fairies and you're just told to go while they enjoy the celebrations
It is your fault for using the Fierce Deity Mask. Killing Majora with the other three transformation masks is much more satisfying.

Also, no one remembers Link because they never saw Link. The characters that appear in Termina/Majora's Mask aren't the same ones from OoT/Hyrule.

LAA

Oh the Link is Dead theory again ... prepare to be ripped to shreds :D

Oh no ha ha. I don't know, reminds me a little of the pikmin theory too, of how it was earth and humanity experimented with creatures which I pressume took over the world?

Video presents quite a few links though. I had no idea about the
twilight princess link with the heros shade being the hero of time, which was apparently confirmed in the hyrule historia, so thats pretty interesting

LAA

If more games in the series were like Majora's Mask, it would be easily my favorite gaming series. Sadly (or not) MM is unique in almost every way.
It is your fault for using the Fierce Deity Mask. Killing Majora with the other three transformation masks is much more satisfying.

Also, no one remembers Link because they never saw Link. The characters that appear in Termina/Majora's Mask aren't the same ones from OoT/Hyrule.

Yeah I suppose,
Just would have liked it harder with the fierce deity mask, no effort was required at all with the mask really. Not sure about the characters not being the same either. At the end, the skull kid says "You have the same scent as the child who taught me the song", which happened in OOT, so he's at least the same the character, so its again linking to the link is dead theory (or in a coma/dream/something)

Yeah I suppose,
Just would have liked it harder with the fierce deity mask, no effort was required at all with the mask really. Not sure about the characters not being the same either. At the end, the skull kid says "You have the same scent as the child who taught me the song", which happened in OOT, so he's at least the same the character, so its again linking to the link is dead theory (or in a coma/dream/something)

But that's the point.
You worked hard to get all the other masks, so you're rewarded with the Fierce Deity mask to easily beat Majora.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The plot is surreal by nature and so I think looking at it as a direct sequel to Ocarina (even if in a sense technically true) comes with loaded assumptions that aren't entirely accurate.
All we really know is that Link, in a timeline where Ganondorf is exposed as treacherous and sentenced to death and thus the events of Ocarina of Time do not take place, wanders through the Lost Woods looking for Navi. For reasons unknown, which is the very nature of the Lost Woods, he winds up in Termina and an encounter with the Skull Kid who both seems to (by the end) identify Link as the same Link he'd met with, but also has a long history that goes beyond the events of Ocarina of Time. In many ways the Lost Woods are a weird bridge between worlds. Because Termina does not, as far as we're aware, exist in the same realm as Hyrule. It's a surreal copy with its own rules and lore.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Did they change the frequency in which Link flips while jumping? I knew he always did it in the intro, but I thought that was it in the original. Now he's flipping and somersaulting everywhere.

Sakura

Finished the first temple. Have they changed the position of the faeries around? I was sure I remembered a couple spots where faeries used to be. After that I went and grabbed the Goron mask before resetting the time.

You are remembering wrong.

Its the same.

Are you sure? I feel he is doing it way more.

The plot is surreal by nature and so I think looking at it as a direct sequel to Ocarina (even if in a sense technically true) comes with loaded assumptions that aren't entirely accurate.
All we really know is that Link, in a timeline where Ganondorf is exposed as treacherous and sentenced to death and thus the events of Ocarina of Time do not take place, wanders through the Lost Woods looking for Navi. For reasons unknown, which is the very nature of the Lost Woods, he winds up in Termina and an encounter with the Skull Kid who both seems to (by the end) identify Link as the same Link he'd met with, but also has a long history that goes beyond the events of Ocarina of Time. In many ways the Lost Woods are a weird bridge between worlds. Because Termina does not, as far as we're aware, exist in the same realm as Hyrule. It's a surreal copy with its own rules and lore.

I am a little confused with The Lost Woods. How does the travelling mask salesmen travel between worlds? He is shown being in the lost worlds when he is attacked by the Skull Kid. And how does the Skull Kid go to the Lost Woods to fool around? He was there before he had Majora's Mask, in order to rob it. So shouldn't Link be able to easily return? I mean he has the power to time travel I'd assume he has the power to get back home.

Rich!

Are you sure? I feel he is doing it way more.

Maybe its slightly different due to the differing framerates between versions, but he's flipping and somersaulting just as before.

In fact, I was wondering the opposite in woodfall temple when I jumped over some platforms and he didnt somersault as he ALWAYS did in that section in the original.

Sadist

I used a zelda dungeon guide. Just be aware some of what it has sometimes isn't quite he same as the 3DS version and most of it is following the N64 version but some of it has been updated for the 3DS version.
The major ommission for me was
the stone mask, the N64 had it where you had to show the guy the ninja mask for a tree to appear to hookshot too, but instead its in pirate fortress near a crate. Also the giant mask is obtainable in a boss fight so you don't have to worry about finding it now
Thanks! Pretty nifty.

Got several masks out of it and eight heart pieces.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, aka, The Legend of Zelda: Masks of Time Management.

Seriously, half my time in the Notebook is spent saying: "Shit, I missed the window for that."

Bogeypop

I'm pretty sure it's just theory that the woods in the game's intro are
The Lost Woods
. Especially since at the beginning it specifically states " A boy who, after battling evil and saving Hyrule, crept away from the land that had made him a legend." Also add the scene when you get your Ocarina back and he's basically saying farewell to Zelda as he's about to embark on a journey.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
You are remembering wrong.

Its the same.

Maybe its slightly different due to the differing framerates between versions, but he's flipping and somersaulting just as before.

In fact, I was wondering the opposite in woodfall temple when I jumped over some platforms and he didnt somersault as he ALWAYS did in that section in the original.

Hmmm, gonna have to check. I honestly don't remember him doing it this much before. Last version I played was MM on the GameCube (Europe).

Picked this up with my N3DSXL on Friday, but I want to play through Ocarina 3D again before I start this. I bought Majora's day one on N64, but never actually completed the game. Maybe 15 years later I'll be able to overlook, and maybe even understand and appreciate, the time mechanic. Just got the Master Sword in Ocarina... so much more to go.

Top Bottom