• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3D |OT| Remakes are a Nice Thing to Have… Heh, heh

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
After starting my play through last night am I crazy or does this game from the outset look like another visual step up from OOT? Looks like they have much better textures this time around.

Could be my mind just playing tricks on me though, and it's suppose to be the same engine.

Rich!

After starting my play through last night am I crazy or does this game from the outset look like another visual step up from OOT? Looks like they have much better textures this time around.

Could be my mind just playing tricks on me though, and it's suppose to be the same engine.

Ocarina of Time was developed as a 3DS launch game. It was unveiled at E3 2010. I played the final version of it in Feburary 2011 a month before the 3DS came out at a 3DS preview event.

Majora's Mask is a 2015 release. so uh, yeah. it would be amazing if it didn't look better than OOT3D.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It's not something that has been talked about though, and the 3ds still only has 10 megs of vram.

I get that it's been a few years, but this looks markedly better IMO.

Rich!

It's not something that has been talked about though, and the 3ds still only has 10 megs of vram.

I get that it's been a few years, but this looks markedly better IMO.

Well, that's akin to questioning why Conker's Bad Fur Day looks better than Banjo Kazooie. Same dev, same console specs (no expansion pak usage in either), and it runs on the same base engine.

basically, with MM3D, I would say its improvements to the game engine, a wider range of new textures (whereas OOT3D stuck very rigidly to what was previously there, MM is greatly expanded on in all areas), and a significantly longer dev time than OOT3D (MM3D started development in 2011).

RagnarokX

Hmm for what I disappointed about, I just found out about this theory, which will likely never be confirmed, but it does explain things I'm disappointed in and another few weird things
Like how no-one remembers you despite seeing them all before in OOT and despite this being a sequel to OOT

Spoilers of course in the link, only watch if you've beat it and interested in a possible theory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S1SVkysIRw

This is an absolutely awful theory that has no basis in the game. It's built entirely from forming an idea that sounds "mindblowing" and then trying to force information from the game to fit the idea even though it doesn't.

Here's a thorough debunking:

This is a bad theory because it uses logical fallacies to support its claims. It makes presuppositions and finds evidence that supports the conclusions they've already drawn without examining everything and missing evidence that goes against their conclusions. They use false dichotomies where they try to show that one explanation isn't likely and then assume their explanation is the only other one and must be right.

The areas of Termina do not represent individual components of the stages of grief.

Clocktown: Several NPCs in Clocktown know that the moon is falling. Several of them flee or plan to flee the town by the third day. People are dealing with it multiple ways. The Happy Mask Salesman bargains with you to retrieve what he lost and gets angry with you when you don't pull off your end of the deal in the first 3 days. The mayor is bargaining by having a town meeting to trying and figure out what to do. The head carpenter is both in denial and angry. The swordmaster actually ends up dealing with the moon by running away rather than denying that the moon is a threat. The major sidequest of Clocktown involves dealing with a couple of people who are very much aware of their problems and not denying them at all. One of them fights to overcome his fate and the other plans to run away from the moon but if you help them they accept their fates.

Woodfall: Deku King is angry. Monkey bargains for your help and accepts his fate. Deku butler is depressed. Cremia is in denial about the cow abductions. Romani bargains for Link's help and gets depressed if you don't save the cows and Cremia.

Snowhead: Darmani does bargain with Link for help, but bargaining happens in every area of the game. People are always asking Link to help them. The song of healing is essentially the song of acceptance. Darmani is also depressed and immediately after asking Link to help him accepts that it may be beyond Link's power and asks him to do something else, so there's acceptance. Most of the Gorons are starving and freezing and they're pretty much dealing with their own losses by accepting it, being depressed, or denying it. The baby Goron is depressed.

Great Bay: Lulu is depressed. Mikau bargains for Link's help and accepts his fate. The rest of the Zoras are pretty much in denial that anything is wrong. Mikau dealt with the loss of his eggs by getting angry and got killed trying to save them.

Ikana Valley: You help most people you help in the game come to acceptance, so there's no reason to single it out here. Sharp and the king of Ikana are angry and most of Ikana is in denial of their own deaths and refuse to move on. The little girl is in denial about her father.

Majora's Mask is a game full of grief because there are many things to grieve about and the game makes no attempts to veil these reasons. None of the areas embody a single aspect of grief.

Termina: The game focuses heavily on time and "term" is a perfect root to describe a world on a time limit since that's what it means: a finite length of time. The world itself is terminal meaning it has a time limit. This is not "a pretty big red flag" for Link being dead. There's nothing about it suggesting anything to do with Link.

Termina is an alternate reality... Why would Hyrule be able to see a moon that doesn't exist there? Link falls through a mysterious Wonderland-esque portal to get there. There is no evidence for Link dying and the closest they can come up with is "maybe he died falling through the magical portal." Then they have a debate over how impossible things can happen in world full of magic and act like that's proof of anything. The people are mirrors of Hyrule people because it's a parallel universe, not the same people he met in OoT. The game really doesn't hide this. The game shows Happy Mask Salesman getting attacked in the woods when Majora's Mask got stolen before he followed Link to Termina.

The elegy of emptiness lets you make a statue of any form you can take. It says nothing about the forms having to be based on dead people, and just because Link's other forms are from dead people does not mean that Link himself is dead. That's a leap of logic.

The Hero's Shade is an adult, suggesting Link lived to be an adult. He obviously hasn't accepted anything because he regrets not being able to pass on his skills.

"You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?" adequately describes both getting turned into a deku scrub and letting the world get destroyed/dying. Both are terrible fates and the Happy Mask Salesman saves you from both fates. It's his signature line and hints more at his mysterious god-like powers. It also ties into being warped back to the first day when you met him for the first time.

Dimmle

Well, I didn't think I could love MM more but the remake is everything I like without the bummer parts that made MM so easy to dismiss for many players.

Personally, I'm getting a lot out of the free camera control; the way I'm controlling the game is very much akin to how I play Wind Waker, by using the camera to guide my direction. They did an excellent job implementing the new camera into a game with a previously rigid solution and I'm not sure I'd be comfortable going back to constantly tapping Z.

The game's new art is outstanding and really brings the game world in line with the fantastic key art released 15 years ago. There's love oozing from every pore in MM3D. I'm glad they had three years to dote on a remake of a game with a legendarily brief development period.

ShadowOwl

Can anyone tell me which bottles I can get before going to the second temple? I'm tired of running around with just a single bottle...

georly

lol, found on reddit, not sure if posted before:

TWDBVpT.jpg

http://www.reddit.com/r/zelda/comments/2vy802/epona_you_dipshit/

Apparently climbed to the top of a tower, played epona's song, dropped down... couldn't find her anywhere... and there she was. He tried riding her up there, but she was stuck and wouldn't jump down.

Dimmle

Man, Snowhead has to be the worst dungeon in the entire series.

It's not so bad. I think it gets a bad rap similarly to the Water Temple just because it's a complex concept. It's a pretty simple dungeon once you wrap your head around how the pillar affects your access to other rooms. Having a persistent map on the bottom screen is a huge boon for Snowhead.

SirNinja

Man, Snowhead has to be the worst dungeon in the entire series.

'Worst ever' is a little harsh, but it's definitely my least favorite MM dungeon. (Best boss though.)

On the plus side, once you get the Fire Arrows, you can
warp out, get a Powder Keg license, use a keg to get to the Ranch early for Epona, use her to get to Mikau and the Zora's Mask, and get the Hookshot form the Pirate's Fortress
. Once you have that, you can skip at least half the dungeon and get to the boss key/room easily. Getting the Fire Arrows really opens a floodgate of stuff to do in MM.

There's hate for Snowhead? Really? I love it. I love all of the dungeons in MM, even Great Bay isn't bad, though it's my least favorite of them all.

The art style and atmosphere in MM is just incredible. So surreal, so bizarre, simultaneously frightening and depressing. It's probably my favorite game in the series, despite being mechanically inferior to OoT and LttP.

I remember being pretty creeped out by these guys as a kid.

Nejiron.png

Replaying this game is like seeing an old friend after a long time. I played it so much as a kid, I didn't really bother with the re-releases, but it's so great having an upgraded, modern version of the game. Thanks Nintendo. :...)

There's hate for Snowhead? Really? I love it. I love all of the dungeons in MM, even Great Bay isn't bad, though it's my least favorite of them all.

I agree. Snowhead is one of my favorite dungeons. It has brilliant level design. Shame that a dungeon gets hate because it let people's head smoke.

Also, the spiderhouses in the remake have such well done graphics. A lot more atmospheric now!

Puflwiz

Banned
I'm not sure if its been answered already but
how do you find that new bottle? I have the gormon mask but the brothers just say to take it off.

Dr. Buni

It is my least favorite dungeon in the game, but not a bad dungeon at all. It is just not as unique as the other dungeons in MM.

Seda

I'm not sure if its been answered already but
how do you find that new bottle? I have the gormon mask but the brothers just say to take it off.

Talk to the Troupe leader in the Stock Pot Inn on the second day with the Troupe Leader's Mask on.

Sakura

Video presents quite a few links though. I had no idea about the
twilight princess link with the heros shade being the hero of time, which was apparently confirmed in the hyrule historia, so thats pretty interesting

As has already been said
the Hero's Shade in TP pretty much renders their own theory void. The Hero's Shade is an adult. Link in Majora's Mask is a kid. Meaning Link died some time well after the events of Majora's Mask.

This is an absolutely awful theory that has no basis in the game. It's built entirely from forming an idea that sounds "mindblowing" and then trying to force information from the game to fit the idea even though it doesn't.

This is a bad theory because it uses logical fallacies to support its claims. It makes presuppositions and finds evidence that supports the conclusions they've already drawn without examining everything and missing evidence that goes against their conclusions. They use false dichotomies where they try to show that one explanation isn't likely and then assume their explanation is the only other one and must be right.

The areas of Termina do not represent individual components of the stages of grief.

Clocktown: Several NPCs in Clocktown know that the moon is falling. Several of them flee or plan to flee the town by the third day. People are dealing with it multiple ways. The Happy Mask Salesman bargains with you to retrieve what he lost and gets angry with you when you don't pull off your end of the deal in the first 3 days. The mayor is bargaining by having a town meeting to trying and figure out what to do. The head carpenter is both in denial and angry. The swordmaster actually ends up dealing with the moon by running away rather than denying that the moon is a threat. The major sidequest of Clocktown involves dealing with a couple of people who are very much aware of their problems and not denying them at all. One of them fights to overcome his fate and the other plans to run away from the moon but if you help them they accept their fates.

Woodfall: Deku King is angry. Monkey bargains for your help and accepts his fate. Deku butler is depressed. Cremia is in denial about the cow abductions. Romani bargains for Link's help and gets depressed if you don't save the cows and Cremia.

Snowhead: Darmani does bargain with Link for help, but bargaining happens in every area of the game. People are always asking Link to help them. The song of healing is essentially the song of acceptance. Darmani is also depressed and immediately after asking Link to help him accepts that it may be beyond Link's power and asks him to do something else, so there's acceptance. Most of the Gorons are starving and freezing and they're pretty much dealing with their own losses by accepting it, being depressed, or denying it. The baby Goron is depressed.

Great Bay: Lulu is depressed. Mikau bargains for Link's help and accepts his fate. The rest of the Zoras are pretty much in denial that anything is wrong. Mikau dealt with the loss of his eggs by getting angry and got killed trying to save them.

Ikana Valley: You help most people you help in the game come to acceptance, so there's no reason to single it out here. Sharp and the king of Ikana are angry and most of Ikana is in denial of their own deaths and refuse to move on. The little girl is in denial about her father.

Majora's Mask is a game full of grief because there are many things to grieve about and the game makes no attempts to veil these reasons. None of the areas embody a single aspect of grief.

Termina: The game focuses heavily on time and "term" is a perfect root to describe a world on a time limit since that's what it means: a finite length of time. The world itself is terminal meaning it has a time limit. This is not "a pretty big red flag" for Link being dead. There's nothing about it suggesting anything to do with Link.

Termina is an alternate reality... Why would Hyrule be able to see a moon that doesn't exist there? Link falls through a mysterious Wonderland-esque portal to get there. There is no evidence for Link dying and the closest they can come up with is "maybe he died falling through the magical portal." Then they have a debate over how impossible things can happen in world full of magic and act like that's proof of anything. The people are mirrors of Hyrule people because it's a parallel universe, not the same people he met in OoT. The game really doesn't hide this. The game shows Happy Mask Salesman getting attacked in the woods when Majora's Mask got stolen before he followed Link to Termina.

The elegy of emptiness lets you make a statue of any form you can take. It says nothing about the forms having to be based on dead people, and just because Link's other forms are from dead people does not mean that Link himself is dead. That's a leap of logic.

The Hero's Shade is an adult, suggesting Link lived to be an adult. He obviously hasn't accepted anything because he regrets not being able to pass on his skills.

"You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?" adequately describes both getting turned into a deku scrub and letting the world get destroyed/dying. Both are terrible fates and the Happy Mask Salesman saves you from both fates. It's his signature line and hints more at his mysterious god-like powers. It also ties into being warped back to the first day when you met him for the first time.

Not only accounting for the fact that some explanations are pretty much farfetched...
Especially the bargaining part... how is that bargaining ? I mean, I though bargaining was trying to get something in return to something else ! Begging isn't bargaining !
And a lot of stuff like this, interpretations to fit their theory... over... and over.

RK128

As has already been said
the Hero's Shade in TP pretty much renders their own theory void. The Hero's Shade is an adult. Link in Majora's Mask is a kid. Meaning Link died some time well after the events of Majora's Mask.

I think the whole connection involving the Hero of Time and The Hero's Shade is that MM Link got stuck in the Lost Woods after saving Termina (and if OoT is correct, people lost in the woods get turned into a Stalfos). Meaning, he was unable to pass on his skills/experience due to traveling the lost woods for so long.

Granted, it is likely MM Link mastered the ability to transform (as he had plenty of experience in MM to understand how that works), explaining why Hero's Shade can turn into a Wolf (maybe a form MM Link gets latter on a on another adventure after MM?) and Link just uses the Salfo's form to better use sword attacks and what not :l.

I think that a third game in the Hero of Time saga could potentially explain this better but as is, it is easy to assume that MM Link got lost going back to Hyrule and ventured off into another land, solving that crisis and 'something' preventing him from coming back to Hyrule :l.

Either way, it is fun to speculate what happens :).

Puflwiz

Banned
Just made it to the first dungeon with 39 hours left. Reckon I should head back, deposit my Rupees and reset the time?

I normally start a dungeon with a fresh cycle to have as much time as possible. Remember you also need time to spare after the dungeon itself to return the stray faeries and whatever quest things you need to do after.

MattyG

Banned
Just made it to the first dungeon with 39 hours left. Reckon I should head back, deposit my Rupees and reset the time?
Wait, does depositing rupees carry them over to the next cycle? I figured that that reset too and the only reason to do it was to get
a bigger wallet.
I'll feel really dumb if I haven't been storing my rupees properly.

epmode

Playing this for the first time in a few years, I still love the focus on sidequests and the overworld. I had to push myself to finish the Ocarina remake before Majora was released but I'm loving every second here. Still the best Zelda game by a long shot.

The game looks far better than Ocarina's remake too. And oh god, I love that they finally put your position on the bottom map screen.

Wait, does depositing rupees carry them over to the next cycle? I figured that that reset too and the only reason to do it was to get
a bigger wallet.

Yup, they carry over when you deposit them. 5000 gets
you a heart piece. And you ain't getting 5000 in one cycle :p

KarmaCow

I really hate remembering the thing I forgot during the animation that plays when you revert to the first day.

I'm about to go to the well and I remember nothing about what I need. Welp.

Ants

Actually, a slowed down cycle is exactly three hours. Not two.

Not sure where people keep getting two hours from - I've had to correct people before, and I have even verified it by timing it myself.

I played through a slowed cycle from the start to nearly the end yesterday in one session (5am, one hour to armageddon) and it came to three hours of gameplay in total.

I didn't say a cycle was two hours, I said 58 in-game hours was.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Okay, Snowhead isn't so bad, I just repeatedly walked right past that one room. Finding all the stray fairies was tough though.

RagnarokX

Not only accounting for the fact that some explanations are pretty much farfetched...
Especially the bargaining part... how is that bargaining ? I mean, I though bargaining was trying to get something in return to something else ! Begging isn't bargaining !
And a lot of stuff like this, interpretations to fit their theory... over... and over.

Bargaining is generally asking a higher power for intevention. Like begging a god to save you or whoever/whatever is being lost. You could also beg doctors and other people of power.

The real issue with their theory is that most of it is about the stages of grief, but you can pretty much find someone to represent every stage of grief in any every area.

Denial:
Clocktown: head carpenter
Swamp: Cremia (about Them)
Mountain: The Goron elder is in denial about being too old to remember the lullaby
Ocean: The Zoras
Canyon: All of the undead

Anger:
Clocktown: head carpenter, mask salesman
Swamp: Deku king
Mountain: Biggoron
Ocean: Mikau
Canyon: King of Ikana

Bargaining:
Everyone who asks for help in the game.

Depression:
Clocktown: Anju
Swamp: Cremia
Mountain: baby Goron
Ocean: Lulu
Canyon: Invisible soldier

Acceptance:
Almost everyone you help in the game comes to accept their losses.

I think the whole connection involving the Hero of Time and The Hero's Shade is that MM Link got stuck in the Lost Woods after saving Termina (and if OoT is correct, people lost in the woods get turned into a Stalfos). Meaning, he was unable to pass on his skills/experience due to traveling the lost woods for so long.

Granted, it is likely MM Link mastered the ability to transform (as he had plenty of experience in MM to understand how that works), explaining why Hero's Shade can turn into a Wolf (maybe a form MM Link gets latter on a on another adventure after MM?) and Link just uses the Salfo's form to better use sword attacks and what not :l.

I think that a third game in the Hero of Time saga could potentially explain this better but as is, it is easy to assume that MM Link got lost going back to Hyrule and ventured off into another land, solving that crisis and 'something' preventing him from coming back to Hyrule :l.

But their theory is
that Link died before Majora's Mask and the game is a death hallucination.

We don't know if the forest at the start of MM is the Lost Woods. People turn into stalfos in the woods likely because they get lost and die, not necessarily due to a curse. Navi implies that kids who get lost in the woods become skull kids. The Heroes Shade is an adult and he turns into a wolf likely because TP says that's the sacred beast the hero turns into. Both TP Link and the Hero's Shade are heroes, so they both become wolves.

A continuation of the Hero of Time's quest would be nice, especially considering he never found Navi. He probably got back to Hyrule the same way he came to Termina.

a bigger wallet.
I'll feel really dumb if I haven't been storing my rupees properly.

Well, imagine that Link's bank balance is stamped to his hand, so every time he goes back in time and shows the stamp to the bank teller he's pretty much robbing the bank.

Tookay

I'm not sure why I'm putting spoilers here but sensitivity to this stuff has gotten to all-time high on the internet and I don't want to piss people off... (MM and TP spoilers)

I think it's really hard to believe the Hero of Time just gets lost and dies shortly after Termina.

Moreover, all the supposed Stalfos lore people use to support their theory is irrelevant because the Hero's Shade clearly isn't a normal Stalfos in the first place. In the physical world, he's just a golden wolf. It's only in the supernatural world's training sequences that he appears to be Stalfos-like. Speaking of which, let's not discount the possibility that the similarities between the Shade and a Stalfos could very well be nothing more than an artistic homage, just as the design of Fi referenced the Great Fairy Child in TWW, despite those two characters having nothing in common.

Why not take Hyrule Historia at face value? He's just the spirit of the Hero of Time, who died at some later date, but lingers in this world because he wants to pass on his skills to the next generation - no Stalfos/Lost Woods connection needed.

LAA

Thanks for the post. Did watch a debunking video before actually. The theories are all based on assuming something though really, no way to know you'll be right with Nintendo confirming really.
The video made a good point that the emptiness statue for Link also has coloured eyes while the statues based from the dead too, so that's a point with him being alive. Thought the video was reaching in some points to be fair, but hard to downright deny without confirmation really. I just thought it was odd at the end Link was just told to go while they celebrated after all he did and what they went through, if it was like symbolism for accepting he was dead, makes sense, I don't know. I quite like how the game is open to different interpretations and etc. though, guess that makes it quite a unique zelda in that regard.

Top Bottom