• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3D |OT| Remakes are a Nice Thing to Have… Heh, heh

Guru-Guru

Banned
For the bombchu challenge (and well, every other challenge there) I take the targets in order. Try making straight lines, or almost straight lines. Once you see it's on the right track you con move on to the next one.

For the deku scrub minigame 3 things.

1.- Have a general idea of what are you going to do. There are 3 concentric squares with 2 plataforms each. My strategy is taking one of each while going inside and then all the wa back outsidey to take the ones left.

2.- Make the jumps when the plataform is in the highest point.

3.- Control the landings with the R (or is it L?) trigger.
Thanks for the tips!

Ants

Anybody else damn awful at some of these mini-games? I'm trying to collect as many heart pieces/upgrades that I can before moving onto Snowhead. Day 1 of the Honey and Darling's Shop (bombchu challenge) always ends in failure, usually with 1 or 2 targets that I am unable to get.

My strategy for the bombchu game is to stand very close to the edge of the platform, then press the circle pad perfectly straight up. I can then drop Bombchu with more or less consistent timing (hitting B like a third of a second before being lined up with the target) and hit every time.

You have to kind of account for the amount of time it takes Link to set the Bombchu on the floor.

zlCfzTAdru82u3PyJF

This wasn't as bad as I remembered

zlCfzTAdyhQuuk2OFk

Also I finally get why the dog keeps chasing you

quabba

well my desire to forget everything from 15years ago and basically experience this as a mostly fresh zelda has kind of happened, I feel terrible at figuring out the side quests even with the bomber hints.

I figured this stuff out in my teens but couldnt today

neoism

The Bomber's Notebook is not handholding-ly at all. What the hell was GameXplain thinking saying it was? It only takes note of what an NPC told you, nothing else.

Almost as bad as Gametrailers saying "to many saves" is a bad thing.. I quickly remembered why I stopped even watching or reading any kind of reviews...smh

CrazyDude

well my desire to forget everything from 15years ago and basically experience this as a mostly fresh zelda has kind of happened, I feel terrible at figuring out the side quests even with the bomber hints.

I figured this stuff out in my teens but couldnt today
Our minds aren't as sharp as they use to be.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Just tried for 45 minutes to get the last stray fairy in Snowpeak (the one in the cubby in the central room). Still can't get it. Is it possible in the 3DS version without the bunny hood?

Christ this dungeon is seriously eroding my enjoyment of the game. I'm going to run out of fucking time even with inverted time just trying for this one dumb thing.

Just tried for 45 minutes to get the last stray fairy in Snowpeak. Still can't get it. Is it possible in the 3DS version without the bunny hood?

Christ this dungeon is seriously eroding my enjoyment of the game. I'm going to run out of fucking time even with inverted time just trying for this one dumb thing.

Are you talking about the one in the hidden wall where the giant pillar is? I just roll-jumped with Link off a higher level and hoped for the best.

Seda

I use the Deku Flower to get that one. Yeah you have to wait for 30 something seconds for him to slowly descend but it works.

Blue-kun

Just tried for 45 minutes to get the last stray fairy in Snowpeak. Still can't get it. Is it possible in the 3DS version without the bunny hood?

Do you mean the one inside that hidden part of the wall in the main room? Where there's a Deku Flower and what not? I don't know how you guys get it, if that's it, but I just go to the top and use the Deku Flower there with the Lens of Truth activated. And then let the flower slowly descend, while facing the hole in the wall. If you don't actually move the analog around you won't fall down from the flower, so eventually you'll be close enough to just fly and land inside the hole.

Unless you don't mean that one, but to be honest I don't remember any Stray Fairies there where I used the Bunny Hood, so lol.

Also, weird change at the Stone Mask. Didn't actually find it until later, in its new spot, lol.

MattyG

Banned
I feel like I'm playing this wrong. Should I be getting a lot of the sidequests out of the way right off the bat, or space them out? I just feel like I'm not making any progress, I'm just kinda wandering.

Dimmle

I feel like I'm playing this wrong. Should I be getting a lot of the sidequests out of the way right off the bat, or space them out? I just feel like I'm not making any progress, I'm just kinda wandering.

You're playing it right! Space 'em out. Do what you feel. Follow your curiosity.

It's whatever you want to do. I entered Southern Swamp with six hearts, so I did a ton of side quests beforehand. But you could also beeline for it. Whatever gives you the most enjoyment.

KarmaCow

I got the four boss masks now but I'm still missing so much. I've forgotten how to get the
Postman Hat
or even start
the Kafie/Anju quest
. I think I know what masks I'm missing so it isn't that bad. It's tempting to look it up so I can dive into the new season in Diablo 3 but I'm going to stay clean.

MattyG

Banned
You're playing it right! Space 'em out. Do what you feel. Follow your curiosity.

It's whatever you want to do. I entered Southern Swamp with six hearts, so I did a ton of side quests beforehand. But you could also beeline for it. Whatever gives you the most enjoyment.
Awesome! I must just be overthinking it. There's no missable quests or anything, is there? Because if that's the case then I'll feel a lot better about progressing.

Kinsei

Banned
Awesome! I must just be overthinking it. There's no missable quests or anything, is there? Because if that's the case then I'll feel a lot better about progressing.

Nothing is missable. If you do miss something just return to the first day and try again.

Dimmle

Absolutely nothing is missable. I think the conceit of MM really misleads new players. It's a very relaxed game and much more open-ended than Ocarina.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Grear Bay Temple is not nearly as hard as I thought it was...

That revamped Gyorg fight is fantastic, too.

KarmaCow

You can redo and see pretty much everything again. It's what defines the game.

Grear Bay Temple is not nearly as hard as I thought it was...

That revamped Gyorg fight is fantastic, too.

I don't remember the original perfectly but I thought
the second stage
sucked. I don't have the n3DS so the lack of camera control made it a real pain.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
IIRC Ocarina actually had some missable skulltulas, if you planted seeds in the dirt patches before using bugs to get the skulltulas. At least in OOT 3D.

On topic, this game is off the hook good. Almost all of the changes are for the better, especially the bombers notebook and boss battles. Only things that bother me are the ice arrows (negligible after great bay anyways) and the god awful draw distance. What a game though.

Neiteio

YESSSSS. Time to actually make some progress in this thing, then.
The best part is you can also replay anything you like. Once I 100% my file, I'll still come back to it and replay the Kafei-Anju quest, the Deku Butler race, etc., just for fun.

IIRC Ocarina actually had some missable skulltulas, if you planted seeds in the dirt patches before using bugs to get the skulltulas. At least in OOT 3D.
I seriously doubt that.

Ants

Jesus christ.

So, I just discovered something I had never known in all the hours I'd played this game as a kid. You can kill
Sakon the thief
. I found out because I tried to stop him using the
Blast Mask
because I thought it would be ironic. The
Bomb Shop old lady
has unique dialogue for it along the lines of "
You never think it'll happen to you.
" He no longer shows up to any of the subsequent events until you reset the cycle.

I found a video of it in the original release for the skeptics.

This is some heavy shit. It's not even ambiguous. That motherfucker is dead. It seems like the
Bigger Bomb Bags blow up
, causing it.

Neiteio

Jesus christ.

So, I just discovered something I had never known in all the hours I'd played this game as a kid. You can kill
Sakon the thief
. I found out because I tried to stop him using the
Blast Mask
because I thought it would be ironic. The
Bomb Shop old lady
has unique dialogue for it along the lines of "
You never think it'll happen to you.
" He no longer shows up to any of the subsequent events until you reset the cycle.

I found a video of it in the original release for the skeptics.

This is some heavy shit. It's not even ambiguous. That motherfucker is dead. It seems like the
Bigger Bomb Bags blow up
, causing it.
Wow, I've long said MM is my favorite game, but I'm not sure I knew this. Or maybe I did and I forgot. But wow. Looks like you don't get the bag back either. Makes sense, because you detonated it while he was running away...

Ants

Wow, I've long said MM is my favorite game, but I'm not sure I knew this. Or maybe I did and I forgot. But wow. Looks like you don't get the bag back either. Makes sense, because you detonated it while he was running away...

Yeah, that's the best part. You can't
complete the Couples' Mask sidequest, the old lady can't sell her bombs, he doesn't keep the bombs, you can't buy them or get the Blast Mask.

When it comes to murder, literally everyone loses.

Draconian

That's weird, you should be able to go in on the third night. I got that bottle before I left for the swamp.

Also, thanks to the updated song of double time, at least the quest is easier to redo now.

I don't have whatever you need to have access to the milk bar at night time. I'm thinking I went in late in the day on one cycle and just waited in there a while to see what happened. Either way, the side quest is probably much easier to complete when I figure out what I need to do to be allowed in there.

I don't have whatever you need to have access to the milk bar at night time. I'm thinking I went in late in the day on one cycle and just waited in there a while to see what happened. Either way, the side quest is probably much easier to complete when I figure out what I need to do to be allowed in there.

You should automatically be allowed to go in anytime before 10 PM, quest or not, no matter what day.

DNAbro

Thoughts on stone tower temple boss

Went from one of the worst bosses in the series to an amazing one. In the original it was just cool in concept and didn't really work in my opinion. This one they really made it work and was tons of fun. I love how they improved every aspect of this fight especially with getting the Giant's Mask in the middle of the fight. So freaking cool with the super mario 64 spin at the end.

MattyG

Banned
Just went through Kafei and Anju's quest and on the final day I
realized I can't get into Ikana Canyon yet. BOOOOO.

Oh well, at least I know how to do it now for when I retry.

DNAbro

Just went through Kafei and Anju's quest and on the final day I
realized I can't get into Ikana Canyon yet. BOOOOO.

Oh well, at least I know how to do it now for when I retry.

That's why I always leave until after I complete all the dungeons.

Jamix012

I found out something this playthrough that is super minor but I thought it was cool. If your sword is being upgraded and you try and get out of clocktown the soldiers no longer say "...A sword? My apologies." They say something along the line of "your sword is at the smithy in snowhead? My apologies." I have no idea if this was in the original game or not.

On that note I found something less exciting at the same time.
I tried talking to Sakon in Ikana Valley without my sword as he usually asks if he can see it, but it just wasn't possible. I couldn't talk to him at all.

Here's a tip to get the most obscure cutscene in the game, I didn't know about it till around 3 years ago.
Grab the room on the first day as a Goron from Anju and then around 9-10pm on night 2 make sure to focus on the hole in the wallpaper.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I started this up a bit ago. I wanted to finish up Danganronpa on Vita before getting immersed in MM, and knocked that out earlier today.

I'm really impressed so far. Just played up to the start of the swamp. Game looks great. Even better than OOT 3D. Though some coiuld be the better screen on the New 3DS compared to the old XL I played that on. The 3D is great and the c stick works great for the camera.

Timeaisis

Uh...Koume is supposed to have some
side business...but it's not unlocked?
These sidequests are so confusing. Am I missing something obvious here? I finished the
swap dungeon
. Shouldn't it be unlocked now...whatever it is?

Seda

Uh...Koume is supposed to have some
side business...but it's not unlocked?
These sidequests are so confusing. Am I missing something obvious here? I finished the
swap dungeon
. Shouldn't it be unlocked now...whatever it is?

If you reset at some point between getting to Woodfall and completing the dungeon, you'll have to save her from the Lost Woods again.

MattyG

Banned
I just went to get the
Postmaster's hat
before resetting the cycle, since I couldn't finish the quest. Went to put time back to normal speed to speed things up and played the Song of Time because I wasn't paying attention. FUCK.

Edit: Oh thank god I saved at noon on the final day.

Man, spent all day doing sidequests, and I still haven't done the 2nd dungeon...
Sidequests are so much more fun. I really did not like the 1st dungeon.

All the minigames are done at least.
Same here (though I enjoyed the first dungeon).

Busaiku

Man, spent all day doing sidequests, and I still haven't done the 2nd dungeon...
Sidequests are so much more fun. I really did not like the 1st dungeon.

All the minigames are done at least.

Top Bottom