• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3D |OT| Remakes are a Nice Thing to Have… Heh, heh

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I just used the deku flowers to hide from him until he entered that looking around stance then flew over his head and whacked his legs from behind until he collapsed.

Huh!

Pretty neat that there are so many ways to fight him.

McNum

Explore the next area some more. Maybe try out all of
Goron
Link's abilities near suspicious places if you haven't. Or talk to some of the characters there if you've already done the latter before going back to the
Elder
Ah, thanks. That did the trick.

Had to talk to the baby as Goron Link to get the Elder to teach me half a lullaby. I'm in Snowhead now. This will be interesting, I can't remember a thing about this temple.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
zlCfzTAtzN0JQIkPAn

kissy kissy kissy

Please change your avatar to this.

Timeaisis

So apparently there's an easier way to beat Odolwa than just
strafing around him and waiting for an opportunity
? Lol whoops.

Neiteio

So apparently there's an easier way to beat Odolwa than just
strafing around him and waiting for an opportunity
? Lol whoops.
Main way to beat Odolwa is probably to use the deku flowers in the room, fly above him, bomb the shit out of him, then drop down, become human, and hack away.

Timeaisis

Main way to beat Odolwa is probably to use the deku flowers in the room, fly above him, bomb the shit out of him, then drop down, become human, and hack away.

Lol I didn't realize that. I did use the flowers to space around him and try to get behind him so I could arrow him in the back of the head. Worked alright. I'm just so used to having to use the weapon I got in the dungeon to beat the boss, I didn't even realize I could to use the deku bombs. Haha.

kris.

Banned
I learned the hard way that resetting time doesn't save your game. Had saved at like 7:30 on the first day, then proceeded to re-beat Goht, blew the boulder, won the race, got my gilded sword, reset again, and completed all of the Romani Ranch stuff. Got the Zora's Mask, closed the 3DS, and went to bed. Woke up this morning and my 3DS was dead.

All of that work is gone.

Neiteio

I learned the hard way that resetting time doesn't save your game. Had saved at like 7:30 on the first day, then proceeded to re-beat Goht, blew the boulder, won the race, got my gilded sword, reset again, and completed all of the Romani Ranch stuff. Got the Zora's Mask, closed the 3DS, and went to bed. Woke up this morning and my 3DS was dead.

All of that work is gone.
Eh, back on the N64 version I would redo all of that stuff for fun. You'll be fine. Just remember to save at owl statues/feather statues!

Lol I didn't realize that. I did use the flowers to space around him and try to get behind him so I could arrow him in the back of the head. Worked alright. I'm just so used to having to use the weapon I got in the dungeon to beat the boss, I didn't even realize I could to use the deku bombs. Haha.
Yeah, none of the dungeon bosses require the main dungeon item. It's actually quite refreshing compared to other Zeldas.

gerudoman

Huh!

Pretty neat that there are so many ways to fight him.

Yeah, although that makes the battle incredibly easy. They should have balanced the battle a bit by making him much more aggresive. I mean, what's the point of giving him some new moves if most of the time he's just staring at you?

Bogeypop

Yeah, none of the dungeon bosses require the main dungeon item. It's actually quite refreshing compared to other Zeldas.

Maybe they're prepping us for Zelda U? Though I guess even in the N64 version you didn't need the dungeon item to beat the bosses other than the last dungeon.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So this will be my first playthrough of Majora's Mask past like...the first two hours. I'm really looking forward to it. I've only put in a handful of hours so far, mostly because MH4U still has me by the balls, but I can't wait to see just what this game...well, is

Blue-kun

Man, doesn't matter how many times I play this game, I'll never...

...stop feeling bad about making poor Link-goro sleep outside by stealing his reservation on the Inn, haha. His resigned face as he leaves the Inn just makes you feel like an ass

Another one of those memorable moments that makes me love this little gem :')

Bogeypop

Man, doesn't matter how many times I play this game, I'll never...

...stop feeling bad about making poor Link-goro sleep outside by stealing his reservation on the Inn, haha. His resigned face as he leaves the Inn just makes you feel like an ass

Another one of those memorable moments that makes me love this little gem :')

But how else will you be able to get an accurate weather forecast if you don't talk to him while he mumbles in his sleep?

misterck

I've had the game since launch and been scared to stray past the start due to waiting to upgrade my SD card and not knowing how that would affect my save data etc but now that's done I can play!

Does the whole three day time constraint thing last the entire game? I keep restarting now feeling I'm not figuring things out fast enough lol.

McNum

But how else will you be able to get an accurate weather forecast if you don't talk to him while he mumbles in his sleep?
It rains on the morning of the second day. It always rains on the morning of the second day. The final day is a nice clear sky with a high chance of lunar apocalypse early morning of the following day.

Reliving the same three days gives a nice and accurate way to predict the weather.

Bogeypop

It rains on the morning of the second day. It always rains on the morning of the second day. The final day is a nice clear sky with a high chance of lunar apocalypse early morning of the following day.

Reliving the same three days gives a nice and accurate way to predict the weather.

Shh don't let Link the Goron hear you say that. He's got nothing else to contribute besides his room otherwise.

I've had the game since launch and been scared to stray past the start due to waiting to upgrade my SD card and not knowing how that would affect my save data etc but now that's done I can play!

Does the whole three day time constraint thing last the entire game? I keep restarting now feeling I'm not figuring things out fast enough lol.

at the end of the first cycle you can get your ocarina back. There are three songs that will allow you to control time. The three day cycle remains in effect the entire game.

Is it just my 3DS's speakers or is the sound balance/levels way off in this game? It seems at certain points the music goes out a whack and gets kind of staticy, when it's high pitched or loud.

This was especially noticeable during Zelda's Lullaby in the opening.

FaintDeftone

Majora's Mask is one of the very few Zelda games I have yet to finish. I've attempted it on multiple occasions but keep getting side tracked with other games and stopped. When it first released I only rented it and never actually purchased it, so even though I own a copy now, I never got farther than obtaining the Goron mask.

Now I am finally determined to finish this damn game on the 3DS. Almost finished with the first temple. Using the little perma save locations helps.

Timeaisis

Not following a guide in this game is difficult. There's like 80 things to do at once and I don't know which is most appropriate.

First dungeon is down and I want to get some sidequests done before I start the next one. Any good hints at where I should be directing my exploration?

Yeah, although that makes the battle incredibly easy. They should have balanced the battle a bit by making him much more aggresive. I mean, what's the point of giving him some new moves if most of the time he's just staring at you?
To be fair he's the boss of the first dungeon. He probably shouldn't be THAT hard. :p

Neiteio

Not following a guide in this game is difficult. There's like 80 things to do at once and I don't know which is most appropriate.

First dungeon is down and I want to get some sidequests done before I start the next one. Any good hints at where I should be directing my exploration?
Not sure if you're new to MM, but there is truly no "right" or "wrong" way to play MM.

If you wanted, you could just go straight from dungeon to dungeon and leave all of the sidequests for after you've beat the game.

But since you're asking... You have the bow now, so there are several shooting minigames you can now play to earn Pieces of Heart, iirc.

And Romani Ranch ain't gonna save itself, y'know.

K' Dash

You could do some stuff and roam and investigate, the game opens up a lot when you finish the second dungeon.

Dimmle

You can't really do much at Romani Ranch until you can do something about that giant boulder blocking the way, but I'd go ahead and check out Milk Road on the third day.

And some folks say they've heard strange music emanating from the giant stone mushrooms near the mountains in Termina Field, right around midnight...

But really, you're stressing too much. There's no "most appropriate" thing to do as long as you're having fun exploring.

Bogeypop

And some folks say they've heard strange music emanating from the giant stone mushrooms near the mountains in Termina Field, right around midnight...

I for one am in favor of this mimicking of the rumors the Bomber Gang tells you to help GAFers.

"You know I heard there's this unsavory fellow who hangs out behind the slide in North Clock Town late at night. Rumor has it he's been eyeing the Bomb Shop's stock. Been tailing the Old Lady who likes to move stock at the dead of night and passes around there! She should probably be careful... Who knows what he's up to!"

KarmaCow

Well shit, I forgot about how many bottles were in the game. I'm ready to confront the Skull Kid atop the tower again but first I was doing odd sidequests and ended up getting
more bottles bringing up the total to
. It wouldn't have really made a difference though, I went into the
Pirate Fortress with 3 bottles and I had to leave mid way anyway because I forgot the Stone Mask soldier needed a red potion
. Even the
Bottom of the Well
was fine with beyond the first two requests needing stuff from outside of it.

I have all the masks now so now I'm trying to decide between finishing the rest of the sidequests or beating the game
and getting the Fierce Deity Mask
before going back to those sidequests.

Just finished the game with all masks and heart pieces. Strange how the Zelda games took me an eternity to finish as a kid, but now I'm realizing that they are actually pretty short.

Had some good nostalgic fun but I'm regretting this purchase a lot right now. I basically paid money for a simple trip down memory lane. Could have bought something new and interesting instead. Oh well.

JMPerona

I dont understand this game! I have the feeling that I cant go forward. Can I get back in time when I want? Everytime? Should I do everything I can in the three days and then, in the last second, get back to the first day and do everything again????

aravuus

Okay since I'm impatient as fuck, I went ahead and bought the digital version even though I kind of don't really have much money right now
Hopefully the game's worth eating the cheapest shit the grocery store sells for the rest of the month lol

So yeah, first time playing the game. Basically I should just not care about guides and completion and whatever and just explore, talk to people and stuff like that? I'm kind of a hardcore guide user/"must 100% the game on my first run" player so this should be interesting

Schlomo

Guys, I need your help. Are some of you already in the bottom of the well? I have a question. In the original version there was a Gibdo that said:" give me ten refreshing blasts" I thought it always was hilarious. However, in the German version of the 3D remake it says no longer refreshing explosions but "give me something that explodes", and I really think that takes a lot of charm from the well, some other Gibdo were changed too - in the German version.

I want to ask you if in the English version of the game the Gibdos are still saying hilarious things or not (especially ten refreshing blasts) its quite a bummer to me since its iconic, I want to know if I should blame the English or the German translators.

Also the other bad change in terms of writing in the well would be that milk gibdo. In the original German version it said "give me something rich of calcium" now it says "play the song near a cow". Seriously?

Thanks.

English has changed too for those. First one now says "something that goes boom".

DNAbro

I dont understand this game! I have the feeling that I cant go forward. Can I get back in time when I want? Everytime? Should I do everything I can in the three days and then, in the last second, get back to the first day and do everything again????

calm down first of all.

Choose what you are going to do with the 3 day cycle(get into dungeon, the dungeon, side quests, etc) and do that. If you finish your goal decide if you want to go back in time or just explore around and maybe find other side quests. If you run out of time doing something play the song and usually you are given something so you can start up quicker and closer to where you left off.

So this will be my first playthrough of Majora's Mask past like...the first two hours. I'm really looking forward to it. I've only put in a handful of hours so far, mostly because MH4U still has me by the balls, but I can't wait to see just what this game...well, is

Man I *want* to love Monster Hunter, but I dunno, it just never holds me. Looking forward to your reactions to Majora though!

Revven

I will be back to playing this and posting stuff in here once my MM3DSXL arrives, I finally got shipping confirmation from Best Buy.

Snowhead wasn't quite as annoying as I remembered, when I last replayed this game in like 2011 or something I recall being surprised by how much I disliked it, guess expecting the worst made things smoother this time.
*dungeon and boss spoilers*
I do at least now appreciate its verticality and how well it can wrap around itself with the connecting rooms, doesn't really have much in the way of interesting tasks though and some of those fairies are still awkward as heck, I finally succumbed to inverted song of time simply because I spent the first few hours in the dungeon unsuccessfully trying to nab that blasted fairy in the second room below the broken bridge.
And I actually liked how the altered version of Goht played out, launching onto his back and blowing up the eye is pretty satisfying, liking the slight variations in how you can reveal weak points so far

Neiteio

I'm very interested to go through Snowhead again. I've long considered it one of my favorite dungeons, but I last played MM in the mid-2000s, probably, and my tastes have broadened since then, so who knows what I'll think of it now. I just remember that the pillar-smashing mechanic and winding verticality made for a wonderful sense of progression, even if falling meant repeating some rooms under pressure.

Oddly enough, Stone Tower Temple is the one I remember the least, despite being widely acclaimed as one of the series' best dungeons.

ASIS

I just entered the swamps so a few impressions:

1. The 3D is absolutely wonderful in the game. And my eyes maybe deceiving me but i honestly think the graphical jump from the original to the 3DS version is much bigger than what OOT had.

2. The beginning is still abysmal. I can't for the life of me understand people who give other Zeldas shit for starting slow and give this one a pass. It's the absolute worst in that regard IMO. Thankfully the second you get the ocarina of time it all goes away.

3. Clock town is still the best town ever. Nuff said, I was shocked by how well I knew everything off hand considering I last played this game around 10 years ago. Hell the entire game is giving me the exact same vibes, maybe it's nostalgia but I don't care. I'm re-experiencing my favorite game of all time and it feels fantastic.

4. The graphical improvements made to Deku Link's spin is… interesting.

5. Bomber's note book seems really interactive this time around. But I'll have to wait and see how this will affect the rest of the game.

Overall, I'm impressed.

ASIS

That was easily my most pronounced "whoa!!" while playing.

Yeah, this is my first time ever since WW that I go into a game semi blind (I didn't check all the changes made so I didn't expect much) But that was such a creepy and neat inclusion, I still don't understand the reasoning behind it though.

Eblo

Stone Tower Temple spoilers
Was the Giant's Mask moved? I took down the final Eyegore, but no chest appeared. Am I remembering things incorrectly? The dungeon map+compass don't show any unopened chests.

I wish I liked the dungeons more. I actually enjoy the side quests more.
The opposite of OoT where it had good dungeons, sucky quests.

Also I use the beginning downtime to gather rupees.

Bogeypop

2. The beginning is still abysmal. I can't for the life of me understand people who give other Zeldas shit for starting slow and give this one a pass. It's the absolute worst in that regard IMO. Thankfully the second you get the ocarina of time it all goes away.

Immediately upon leaving the Clock Tower go to the
Laundry Pool
, grab the
Stray Fairy
, take it to the
Great Fairy
and get your
Magic
, pop the
Balloon
, catch all the
Bomber Gang kids
, go to the
Astral Observatory
, get the
Moon's Tear
and trade it for the
Land Title Deed
, and you can then
dance
with the
Scarecrow
until the night of the final day. Finally just wait the 5 minutes or so for the
Clock Tower
to unlock.

ASIS

As soon as you get the
Moon's Tear
and trade it for the
Land Title Deed
you can
dance
with the
Scarecrow
until the night of the final day. And just wait the 5 minutes or so for the
Clock Tower
to unlock.

0_0……… Ten years…. TEN FUCKING YEARS

mindblown.gif

Neiteio

Someone said this game has a slow start? Hardly. Aside from the ticking time bomb that is the first three-day cycle, and the general "what the fuck is going on" if you're new to the game, the series of tasks you perform are relatively quick, and of course you can time-warp to the last night with the Scarecrow once you're done.

I -love- how little this game holds your hand. The tutorial basically amounts to, "Here's how to climb and jump across these stumps in the Lost Woods," and then after that it just lets you have at it.

Neiteio

I wish I liked the dungeons more. I actually enjoy the side quests more.
The opposite of OoT where it had good dungeons, sucky quests.

Also I use the beginning downtime to gather rupees.
I see the dungeons in this game as prolonged bosses. They're decent fun, and challenging in their complexity, so much so at times (when you're also trying to get the Stray Fairies in one go) that they act as hurdles to leap in order to get back to the meat and potatoes of the game: The dozens and dozens and dozens of well-crafted sidequests, and general immersion in the world at large. :)

Top Bottom