• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3D |OT| Remakes are a Nice Thing to Have… Heh, heh

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I have been met with a terrible fate
8EOivyT.jpg

I remember saying giving one away but my brother wants the other one. I see if he'll just take the game and I can give the figure away

Roto13

I had to play through Snowpeak twice because I forgot to return the stray fairies before going back to Day 1.

Snowpeak is the worst. THE WORST!

I almost did this. I did some stuff after the dungeon and warped back to Clock Town to go to the bank and suddenly realized I still had the stray fairies.

Neiteio

So...uh, any one else finished the new Twinmold battle yet? Opinions? It was fucking crazy.

giant roided out Link beating the shit out of everything with his bare fists and screaming like a madman

Its now pretty much the most bizarre boss fight I've ever played in a Zelda game.
This sounds all kinds of amazing.

I think I'm gonna get back to playing this game.

Neiteio

I had to play through Snowpeak twice because I forgot to return the stray fairies before going back to Day 1.

Snowpeak is the worst. THE WORST!
image.php

"I did not return the Stray Fairies, it's not true, it's bullshit, I did not return them, I DID NOT"

*throws water bottle to the ground*

"...oh hi, Mark"

"Hey Johnny, do you think girls like to return Stray Fairies like guys do?"

"What makes you say that?"

"I don't know. Just a feeling."

"But you're the expert, Mark!"

Rich!

This sounds all kinds of amazing.

I think I'm gonna get back to playing this game.

Its incredible

Twinmold is now two different beasts, one fire and one ice. They are HUGE. First half of the battle you fight the red one as it flies over you with arrows, aiming for eyes on its body as the blue one tries killing you. Eventually, the red one dies...and a chest appears.

Its the giant mask! You put it on, and oh man, link goes super saiyan. He's now muscled as hell, huge, walks like the hulk and you cannot use your sword, just your fists and rolling. So you're punching the shit out of everything, basically hulk smashing, destroying columns and scenery to get health and magic, and when you've punched red Twinmold enough, you spin it around and slam it on the floor. When that happens, link shouts YEEEAAAAAAHHH in a hilariously manly voice

DNAbro

Its incredible

Twinmold is now two different beasts, one fire and one ice. They are HUGE. First half of the battle you fight the red one as it flies over you with arrows, aiming for eyes on its body as the blue one tries killing you. Eventually, the red one dies...and a chest appears.

Its the giant mask! You put it on, and oh man, link goes super saiyan. He's now muscled as hell, huge, walks like the hulk and you cannot use your sword, just your fists and rolling. So you're punching the shit out of everything, basically hulk smashing, destroying columns and scenery to get health and magic, and when you've punched red Twinmold enough, you spin it around and slam it on the floor. When that happens, link shouts YEEEAAAAAAHHH in a hilariously manly voice

actually
you choose which one to fight in the beginning. They are both beatable. At least I could do damage to both.

It's such a weird feeling to play a game, knowing you've done all this before, but having no memory of any of it. That is, until you get to a place and something seems vaguely familiar, and then a long forgotten and locked part of your brain is suddenly roused for the first time in 15 years.

Other than that, this is like a new game again.

Bogeypop

image.php

"I did not return the Stray Fairies, it's not true, it's bullshit, I did not return them, I DID NOT"

*throws water bottle to the ground*

"...oh hi, Mark"

"Hey Johnny, do you think girls like to return Stray Fairies like guys do?"

"What makes you say that?"

"I don't know. Just a feeling."

"But you're the expert, Mark!"

Anyway how's your sex life, Kafei?

Soodanim

I'm gonna clear up some misconception here.

The game included in the VC, Collectors Edition and the N64 original (well, the latest revision of it) is the EXACT same ROM image. Each version is literally identical apart from the colour changes on the UI in the GameCube version. You can extract the ROM from the VC or Collector Edition and play it on the real N64 (which is how we can play Master Quest on an N64). The difference is what runs it.

Original is hardware obviously. The VC and Collectors Editions are emulated.

Now...the collectors edition has issues that are not in the VC edition. The reason is due to the amount of RAM available in the GameCube, which really isn't enough to run Majoras Mask which is (iirc) a 64MB ROM. As such, the game has to utilize the RAM in a way that's basically fucking unstable. Its basically only loading a portion of the ROM into ram at any point and streaming the rest. Any overflow or load error and you get the equivalent of removing the cartridge.

Wii has more RAM. No issue there. Also, a better refined emulator for the VC.

I'm glad someone has explained what's wrong with it, because not once have I had Majora's Mask crash on me on GC.

In other news, I placed my order for MM3D and a CPPLL. I'm trying to convince myself that saving £4 by going with Amazon is better than the paperweight that GAME offer with their orders. I don't need a paperweight, and it doesn't look that good. So why do I still kind of want it?

Edit: definitely don't want it. I don't like the colours on the bottom spikes. They remind me of WordArt gradients.

Another edit: has everyone/anyone read the theory/write up about the 4th dungeon? Lots of stuff you miss just going through it and generally an interesting read.

Neiteio

Its incredible

image.php

That's my face as you pleasured me with those words right now

Must make my way to Twinmold!

Anyway how's your sex life, Kafei?
lol, Johnny has a way with words

I could've sworn time stood still in the dungeons with the N64 version.
Nope. You were just so pro back in the day you didn't even notice!

Bit-Bit

Pro Tip for Stray fairy collectors!

When you're wearing the mask, if the mask's hair is still flowing with pink light surrounding it, then there are still Stray fairies in the room. This is on a room by room basis and will let you know if you should stop looking in that room or continue.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Zora Swimming should have just been Press A to Swim, then Press A again to swim fast. You still have to use B to get out of swimming anyway

Um...

You do realize that the great fairy mask makes the fairies come to you, right? All you have to do is shoot the bubble and it comes to you...

b6wE26d.gif

What makes this worse is I did this to collect like 2 others in the same dungeon which are unreachable otherwise.

So I just messed up a bit lol. Promised Romani I'd save the ranch with her. Ended up skipping to the next day. opps! Sorry Romani, maybe next time.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Question: How are you supposed to reach the Stray fairy hidden
behind a fake wall in Snowhead
? Because I had to use some sick jump skills with the Bunny Hood to get there.

Question: How are you supposed to reach the Stray fairy hidden

You poor soul. :(

Deku Flower at the top near the boss room. Float down and enter.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
You poor soul. :(

Deku Flower at the top near the boss room. Float down and enter.

Didn't even think of that. And I nailed it on my first try lol.

Edit: Also it occured to me just how miserable the gorons are, they're freezing and starving to death. Poor souls.

Bogeypop

Question: How are you supposed to find the Stray fairy hidden

You can
float down with the Deku Flower
at the top floor very, very slowly.

So I just messed up a bit lol. Promised Romani I'd save the ranch with her. Ended up skipping to the next day. opps! Sorry Romani, maybe next time.

I think we just found a new candidate for the bomb-in-the-backpack-then-explode-with-an arrow

Who is this liar? Let's put at bomb into his backpack and shoot it with an arrow!

quabba

Pro Tip for Stray fairy collectors!

When you're wearing the mask, if the mask's hair is still flowing with pink light surrounding it, then there are still Stray fairies in the room. This is on a room by room basis and will let you know if you should stop looking in that room or continue.

Woah thats great. Glad I saw this before doing the second dungeon.

Grizzo

I'm at the beginning of the game and I've been waiting in front of the door which leads to the top of the clock tower for like 36 hours now.

I get that they do that in order to let you get acquainted with the town and its inhabitants but when you're already played the game many times and know exactly what to do well... then you're forced to wait like an idiot. Some things never change, ha!

quabba

I'm at the beginning of the game and I've been waiting in front of the door which leads to the top of the clock tower for like 36 hours now.

I get that they do that in order to let you get acquainted with the town and its inhabitants but when you're already played the game many times and know exactly what to do well... then you're forced to wait like an idiot. Some things never change, ha!

Go and dance to lessen the wait?

MAX PAYMENT

It's been 10 plus years since I last played this. I just got the goron mask and I'm about to enter temple 2. So there are 4 temples. Is this game short as hell, I honestly don't remember.

Its incredible

Yep, I just finished that fight and it's all kinds of incredible. The changes to the fight and the
Giant's Mask
make what was one of the series' most uneventful bosses into one of my new favorite bosses. So satisfying to beat them.

Dance with the scarecrow to pass the time

How well did you say you knew the game? :)

Burning Justice

the superior princess

You can speed up time by dancing with the scarecrows... There's one in the Trading Post and one in the Astral Observatory. Just keep dancing until it's Night of the Final Day.

Grizzo

Dance with the scarecrow to pass the time

How well did you say you knew the game? :)

Lol I never did that (never really interacted with the scarecrow either, even later with his song), maybe because the first few times I had trouble remembering what to do and it took me the whole 3 days cycles every time!

I didn't say I know that game by heart though. I absolutely love it but I know damn well it has a lot of stuff I've yet to uncover.

Anyway, time to go! It's now midnight on the final day!

TheDanimal

This might be the first game I've ever played where I actively avoid playing the main storyline. I've been doing sidequest after sidequest and I can't stop. Really enjoying this game!

Neiteio

This might be the first game I've ever played where I actively avoid playing the main storyline. I've been doing sidequest after sidequest and I can't stop. Really enjoying this game!
It'd be cool if Nintendo made another "social" Zelda like this, where the main thrust is figuring out the people in the world and their complicated lives, and the dungeons are just puzzling palate cleansers.

KarmaCow

Is there no extra quest or even Hero mode? Just wondering what's left after some fishing and few stray heart pieces (which I have no idea where they could be).

Also, is the
scarecrow's song
needed for anything important? I know it can be helpful but just wondering how helpful.

Top Bottom