• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3D |OT| Remakes are a Nice Thing to Have… Heh, heh

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Yeah, this is my first time ever since WW that I go into a game semi blind (I didn't check all the changes made so I didn't expect much) But that was such a creepy and neat inclusion, I still don't understand the reasoning behind it though.

My thought is that it makes it more clear that the spin is an attack. When it's just your floppy hat spinning around it might not be super obvious that you can spin it into dudes to hurt them.

Anth0ny

There's an even faster way of getting through the intro:

1. Talk to Anju's grandmother twice in Stock Pot Inn. It's now dawn of the final day.

2. Talk to the scarecrow in the shop. It's now night of the final day.

3. Grab the stray fairy in East Clock Town, bring it to Great Fairy, get magic.

4. With a well timed backflip you can completely skip the hide and seek/astral observatory/moon's tear quest.

The first cycle in MM takes me like 8 minutes now.

I see the dungeons in this game as prolonged bosses. They're decent fun, and challenging in their complexity, so much so at times (when you're also trying to get the Stray Fairies in one go) that they act as hurdles to leap in order to get back to the meat and potatoes of the game: The dozens and dozens and dozens of well-crafted sidequests, and general immersion in the world at large. :)
Agreed. I never got the sense of Hyrule in OoT since it felt like a hub world. Termina I felt the world exists.

RagnarokX

Snowhead wasn't quite as annoying as I remembered, when I last replayed this game in like 2011 or something I recall being surprised by how much I disliked it, guess expecting the worst made things smoother this time.
*dungeon and boss spoilers*
I do at least now appreciate its verticality and how well it can wrap around itself with the connecting rooms, doesn't really have much in the way of interesting tasks though and some of those fairies are still awkward as heck, I finally succumbed to inverted song of time simply because I spent the first few hours in the dungeon unsuccessfully trying to nab that blasted fairy in the second room below the broken bridge.
And I actually liked how the altered version of Goht played out, launching onto his back and blowing up the eye is pretty satisfying, liking the slight variations in how you can reveal weak points so far

Um...

You do realize that the great fairy mask makes the fairies come to you, right? All you have to do is shoot the bubble and it comes to you...

Oh yeah, I really like Goht's improvements. Did not like Gyorg.

Also found a route for rupees:
1. Chest in Bomber's Alley
2. Chest in East Clock Down
3. Business Scrub Quest
4. Pot Mini-Game on Great Bay Coast
5. Chests around Great Bay and Termina

Neiteio

Agreed. I never got the sense of Hyrule in OoT since it felt like a hub world. Termina I felt the world exists.
Termina is one of my favorite worlds in videogames, alongside the likes of RE4's Spain, Rapture and Columbia from the BioShock series, Crocodile Isle from DKC2, and Los Santos from GTAV, among others.

I've only found time to play it for a few hours so far, but in that time I came away feeling refreshed. Clock Town, Termina Field, Romani Ranch, the Southern Swamp... I visited them all in that time (and now have five hearts, and eight masks, about to head into the first dungeon), and I just feel... refreshed.

Like everything about Termina feels so perfectly realized. It's still "gamey" in many ways, but it feels logically coherent and complete in its own peculiar way.

Majestad

Banned
I just finished the Snowhead temple. This game is so fucking amazing. The atmosphere, the level design, the world, the NPCs...... I have never played MM properly, and I'm having a fantastic time with it.

KarmaCow

Oh yeah, I really like Goht's improvements. Did not like Gyorg.

Also found a route for rupees:
1. Chest in Bomber's Alley
2. Chest in East Clock Down
3. Business Scrub Quest
4. Pot Mini-Game on Great Bay Coast
5. Chests around Great Bay and Termina

You can also
kill the bird near the Milk Road
entrance for money. Kinda risky though since
you can let it touch you

Also near the end of the game, getting money becomes even more trivial. Once you get the
light arrows, you can use them on the Blue Bubbles by the Ikana Canyon entrance for 50 rupees a pop. They will spawn faster than you can kill them.

Schlomo

Immediately upon leaving the Clock Tower go to the
Laundry Pool
, grab the
Stray Fairy
, take it to the
Great Fairy
and get your
Magic
, pop the
Balloon
, catch all the
Bomber Gang kids
, go to the
Astral Observatory
, get the
Moon's Tear
and trade it for the
Land Title Deed
, and you can then
dance
with the
Scarecrow
until the night of the final day. Finally just wait the 5 minutes or so for the
Clock Tower
to unlock.

You can summarize the start of every Zelda that way, but if you don't know exactly what to do it can still feel long-winded and slow. I never get the criticism hurled constantly at the start of Twilight Princess because OoT, MM and WW feel about the same to me (and I don't mind it in any of them).

TheMoon

Someone said this game has a slow start? Hardly. Aside from the ticking time bomb that is the first three-day cycle, and the general "what the fuck is going on" if you're new to the game, the series of tasks you perform are relatively quick, and of course you can time-warp to the last night with the Scarecrow once you're done.

I -love- how little this game holds your hand. The tutorial basically amounts to, "Here's how to climb and jump across these stumps in the Lost Woods," and then after that it just lets you have at it.

Who is this liar? Let's put at bomb into his backpack and shoot it with an arrow!

JMPerona

calm down first of all.

Choose what you are going to do with the 3 day cycle(get into dungeon, the dungeon, side quests, etc) and do that. If you finish your goal decide if you want to go back in time or just explore around and maybe find other side quests. If you run out of time doing something play the song and usually you are given something so you can start up quicker and closer to where you left off.

So you can get back in time wherever you want and continue to do your quest?

KarmaCow

The entire world resets when you go back in time but for the most part, you retain things that help you skip ahead. If you learned the song to open up a dungeon but then have to go back in time, the world will be the same as your first time through. However you don't need to relearn the song, so you can skip the process to get that song and go right to the dungeon. You will lose consumable items like bombs when you go back in time but you wont lose your bomb bag that lets you carry bombs.

oatmeal

Banned
Mine's gonna be here in a day or two.

Should be fun to go back into this.

I beat it when it first came out...then I tried again when it was on the GameCube, but a crash wiped out a ton of progress and I never went back.

DNAbro

Not exactly. For most side quests things completely reset but for getting into dungeons once getting an item or the song is a good save point. For dungeons getting the item usually allows shortcuts.

zlCfzTAyLIYQQ1HEtM

So, if you can remember, what's the order of masks you have all gotten so far? I went:

Deku Mask
Great Fairy Mask
Kafei Mask
Blast Mask
Kamaro's Mask
Bremen Mask
Bunny Hood

JerkShep

Some of the stray fairies locations are CRAZY. Woodfall and Great Bay are mostly ok (well there's one in particular in Great Bay that I had problems with), but some in Snowhead are insane, especially since a couple require the
Lens of Truth
kinda arbitrarily. I like they went crazy with that, but maybe it's a little overboard.

I found a new appreciation for the Great Bay Temple and for the Great Bay part in general in this playthrough. I feel they could have done a bit more with the character of Lulu though and the
lack of big changes in the area after the dungeons is a bit disappointing. The band storyline is left a bit hanging, A subquest featuring the concert in the last day would have been amazing
. I still prefer Snowhead as a whole, but it's close.

Now I'll focus on sidequests for a bit, and then Ikana awaits.

Some of the stray fairies locations are CRAZY. Woodfall and Great Bay are mostly ok (well there's one in particular in Great Bay that I had problems with), but some in Snowhead are insane, especially since a couple require the
Lens of Truth
kinda arbitrarily. I like they went crazy with that, but maybe it's a little overboard.

I found a new appreciation for the Great Bay Temple and for the Great Bay part in general in this playthrough. I feel they could have done a bit more with the character of Lulu though and the
lack of big changes in the area after the dungeons is a bit disappointing. The band storyline is left a bit hanging, I'd have really liked a subquest featuring the concert in the last day
. I still prefer Snowhead as a whole, but it's closer.

Now I'll focus on sidequests for a bit, and then Ikana awaits.
There's four that require the Lens of Truth, but all of those walls do look fishy with their arbitrary lack of snow or ice.

JerkShep

There's four that require the Lens of Truth, but all of those walls do look fishy with their arbitrary lack of snow or ice.

Those are easy to spot, I was referring to two in particular
The one in the room with the eye, the Lens of Truth reveals small steps to reach the treasure above
The one in the room with the enemies falling from the ceiling, you have to use the Lens and look high to spot the fairy

They're not exactly straightforward, there's no indication you have to use the Lens of Truth in those rooms. I like the challenge, but admittedly forcing a player to use the Lens in every room of the dungeon to find small hidden objects is a bit too much considering you're playing against time and you have an actual dungeon to explore. I did it at my first try, I'm not really complaining, but I can understand if someone gets a bit frustrated with the stray fairies collection

aravuus

Played a couple of hours (just got the ocarina) and I'm really liking it so far. I have a good feeling I'll really enjoy this Zelda game. Really the only thing bumming me out a bit right now is the fact that I don't own the circle pro whatever thingie. Would be great if I could properly control the camera.

Those are easy to spot, I was referring to two in particular
The one in the room with the eye, the Lens of Truth reveals small steps to reach the treasure above
The one in the room with the enemies falling from the ceiling, you have to use the Lens and look high to spot the fairy

They're not exactly straightforward, there's no really any indication you have to use the Lens of Truth in those rooms.
Oh yeah, I forgot about the stair one. Yeah that one was definitely tricky.

Bogeypop

You can summarize the start of every Zelda that way, but if you don't know exactly what to do it can still feel long-winded and slow. I never get the criticism hurled constantly at the start of Twilight Princess because OoT, MM and WW feel about the same to me (and I don't mind it in any of them).

Well apart from speed run shenanigans it takes literal hours before you're in the first dungeon in Twilight Princess, and everything you do up until then just feels like busy work. Though I guess you could say it takes just as long to get to the first dungeon in MM; however, in MM you're actually familiarizing yourself with the layout of Clock Town as well as its citizens, and establishing a genuine atmosphere and concern for their plight.

I think the main issue is how each game's intro sets up its tone and atmosphere. In OoT you start out with Link having a nightmare, a vision of things to come. A fell-wind is blowing across the land of Hyrule as its key players begin to stir into motion. The Great Deku Tree.summons you personally. Your head swims in thoughts of what the guardian of the forest could have need of from a meer child as your race to him.

MM you start out on a quiet, private journey to find a dear friend whom you have lost. Suddenly as you're softly trotting through some unnamed woods you're blind-sided by a pair of fairies and a strange imp. They steal your most precious and important objects currently in your possession: the Ocarina of Time and your faithful steed, Epona. You grab hold of Epona's left hind-leg as the mischievous imp wills her into a spooked sprint. The foul creature makes your horse take a sharp turn and loosens you. You give chase in a blind-rage failing to notice the huge chasm that opens up before you, and stumble forward. You fall for what feels like eons. Finally it ends, and you land on flora that is both familiar and unknown to you in a small pool in a dimly lit room. Lights flood and chase the darkness to reveal the foul gremlin and it's pixie compatriots. He taunts you at your utter helplessness to stop his theft, and to add insult to injury he lays a curse on you. You fall into what feels like a night-terror; familiar beasts surrounding and suffocating you only to merge into a single, gigantic entity that swallow you whole. You awaken from this nightmare to find an unfamiliar face staring back at you in the pool of water as the hellion cackles in glee as he makes his exit mistakenly leaving behind one of his subordinates. The sprite pleads with you to help her catch up to the imp, that you and her have the same goal. What will you do now?

And I'm too lazy to do the same thing for WW and TP, but you get the idea.

//ARCANUM

Immediately upon leaving the Clock Tower go to the
Laundry Pool
, grab the
Stray Fairy
, take it to the
Great Fairy
and get your
Magic
, pop the
Balloon
, catch all the
Bomber Gang kids
, go to the
Astral Observatory
, get the
Moon's Tear
and trade it for the
Land Title Deed
, and you can then
dance
with the
Scarecrow
until the night of the final day. Finally just wait the 5 minutes or so for the
Clock Tower
to unlock.

yeah i had actually never played the game before and found the beginning to be very quick and entertaining. I happened to follow this exact path without knowing what to do at all lol.

edit - regarding your post above mine, i agree. i've tried to play many other zeldas and often get so so so bored in the opening few hours, just takes so long to get going and is so slow. Majora's Mask feels downright fast to me and feels like all the fat was cut out. I'm loving it so far.

You can also
kill the bird near the Milk Road
entrance for money. Kinda risky though since
you can let it touch you

Also near the end of the game, getting money becomes even more trivial. Once you get the
light arrows, you can use them on the Blue Bubbles by the Ikana Canyon entrance for 50 rupees a pop. They will spawn faster than you can kill them.
Cool, thanks for that. I am slowly getting to 5000 rupees.

Soodanim

I ignored everything to do with this release, knowing that I would get it anyway. But I didn't realise it was already out! I might have to pick up a CPP for this (and general comfort).

Fake edit: WTF? You can't get the CPP XL anywhere in the UK. How wonderful. Lucky Japan has my back on this one, and for decent enough prices.

I just booted up OoT3D and realised I never finished my run on that. Time to do the castle and beat Ganon. Between that and Young Link in Hyrule Warriors I'm set until I get this in my hands.

Is there a 3DS emulator and a way to rip games? I'd love to play these using something comfortable (hopefully the CPP XL helps with that).

And is it just the view that the CPP would be useful for? I might actually forgo it in favour of a more controller-like accessory.

I ignored everything to do with this release, knowing that I would get it anyway. But I didn't realise it was already out! I might have to pick up a CPP for this (and general comfort).

Fake edit: WTF? You can't get the CPP XL anywhere in the UK. How wonderful. Lucky Japan has my back on this one, and for decent enough prices.
Yeah, get the CPP LL edition since it works with all regions. Worth the $20.

JerkShep

Well apart from speed run shenanigans it takes literal hours before you're in the first dungeon in Twilight Princess, and everything you do up until then just feels like busy work. Though I guess you could say it takes just as long to get to the first dungeon in MM; however, in MM you're actually familiarizing yourself with the layout of Clock Town as well as its citizens, and establishing a genuine atmosphere and concern for their plight..

And in Majora's defense, with just four dungeons in the entire game it's understandable that you wouldn't be visiting the first one at the very start. It's still probably possible to reach it in less time than the Forest Temple in TP if you go straight for it lol, TP intro is that bloated.

Rich!

They're not exactly straightforward, there's no indication you have to use the Lens of Truth in those rooms.

I disagree. Its very obvious.

1. You wear the Fairy Mask in each room. Is it glowing? Then there's a stray fairy.

2. Killed all the enemies? Still no stray fairy. No switches or anything...its a very basic, small room

3. So logic dictates the fairy is hiding. What else can you use to find it? Lens of truth. Boom.

psychotron

Just started. Love the graphics and controls. C-stick is harder to move the camera up and down than left and right, but still manageable. I just got hit with the 3 day time limit and already feel pressure. It took me until the first night to find the great fairy. I may need a guide or something so I finish in time. First time playing.

Stoze

I'm sure this has been asked multiple times already in this thread, but I'm really at a crossroads.

Should I play this for the first time on VC or the remake on 3DS? I've seen people argue that some of the changes hurt some of the challenge and tension for new players, but there's also the asthetics upgrades that the remake carries. I'm considering just playing the older one so I can better appreciate the 3DS version changes when I play later it on, but at the same time the original looks horrific on my flat screen and runs at a shitty framerate.

What do, gaf?

DNAbro

I'm sure this has been asked multiple times already in this thread, but I'm really at a crossroads.

Should I play this for the first time on VC or the remake on 3DS? I've seen people argue that some of the changes hurt some of the challenge and tension for new players, but there's also the asthetics upgrades that the remake carries. I'm considering just playing the older one so I can better appreciate the 3DS version changes when I play later it on, but at the same time the original looks horrific on my flat screen and runs at a shitty framerate.

What do, gaf?

just play the new one. It removes some of the unneeded stress from the original.

Ants

What do, gaf?

Play the remake. Majora's Mask was not a challenging game to begin with. The whole strength of the game comes from the world and characters.

Rich!

What do, gaf?

I was one of those arguing about the changes. It's my favourite game of all time and has been since Christmas 2000.

I now will never be able to go back to the original. 3DS version is fucking amazing in every single way. I even prefer the new zora swimming.

Marjar

Banned

What do, gaf?

Give the original a shot if you want. Honestly I think MM3D is the definitive version of the game. I wasn't that much of a fan of the original, but I really loved my time with the remake.

I really don't think the changes ruin the tension or challenge at all. The original MM isn't a challenging game at all, really. MM3D is actually harder in some aspects.

Edzi

What do, gaf?

Since this is the OT for the remake, I'm sure most people here would tell you to start with that one. I personally think its better to start with the original though, since some of the changes in the remake actually affect the mood (like the color and layout differences) while others just detract from the gameplay experience (like the Zora swimming). I still consider the original to be the definitive Majora's Mask experience.

Pappasman

What do, gaf?

The new one is pretty, but the changes do detract from the game in my opinion. Both are great.

Is the VC version based off the Collector's Edition disc version? Because if so, stay the hell away from it.

Even if you had the option of playing the original, I'd still say go with the 3DS version. Some of the changes are questionable IMO (Goht, wtf), but there's more positive changes than anything.

I only ever played this game a little back on the N64 and only up to the first dungeon when I got the Zelda collection Gamecube disc, but playing this is still a pretty huge nostalgia bomb if only for the main town and the opening sections.

One thing I found hilarious is that I have the same damn issue I had with the game as I did back when it came out: I get turned around CONSTANTLY in the town. For whatever reason, I feel like the East and West sections are always on the wrong sides and I did the same thing back in those older version too. Having the map on the bottom screen definitely helps in this version, though.

I just got turned back into normal Link again and I can't wait until I start getting to stuff I've never seen before. I haven't played a "new" 3D Zelda game since the launch of the Wii with Twilight Princess (I did try Skyward Sword, but only played a little and wasn't a fan of the controls).

Rich!

Is the VC version based off the Collector's Edition disc version? Because if so, stay the hell away from it.

I'm gonna clear up some misconception here.

The game included in the VC, Collectors Edition and the N64 original (well, the latest revision of it) is the EXACT same ROM image. Each version is literally identical apart from the colour changes on the UI in the GameCube version. You can extract the ROM from the VC or Collector Edition and play it on the real N64 (which is how we can play Master Quest on an N64). The difference is what runs it.

Original is hardware obviously. The VC and Collectors Editions are emulated.

Now...the collectors edition has issues that are not in the VC edition. The reason is due to the amount of RAM available in the GameCube, which really isn't enough to run Majoras Mask which is (iirc) a 64MB ROM. As such, the game has to utilize the RAM in a way that's basically fucking unstable. Its basically only loading a portion of the ROM into ram at any point and streaming the rest. Any overflow or load error and you get the equivalent of removing the cartridge.

Wii has more RAM. No issue there. Also, a better refined emulator for the VC.

Oidisco

I had to play through Snowpeak twice because I forgot to return the stray fairies before going back to Day 1.

Snowpeak is the worst. THE WORST!

Rich!

So...uh, any one else finished the new Twinmold battle yet? Opinions? It was fucking crazy.

giant roided out Link beating the shit out of everything with his bare fists and screaming like a madman

Its now pretty much the most bizarre boss fight I've ever played in a Zelda game.

Rich!

I had to play through Snowpeak twice because I forgot to return the stray fairies before going back to Day 1.

Snowpeak is the worst. THE WORST!

On one hand, you're only really missing the
sword spin
in this version...

On the other hand though, sucks to be you.

Stoze

Thanks for all the replies gaf.

I think I'm actually gonna play the new one then, mainly because if it took me until the release of the remake to actually start the VC one up, then that's a pretty big sign that I should just play the remake instead.

Waste of 250 coins on club nintendo I guess, but whatever.

Top Bottom