• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3D |OT| Remakes are a Nice Thing to Have… Heh, heh

Asked this in another thread with no success so I'm going to ask here. I have never played through any Zelda game. Ever. I am looking to pick up a N3DSXL tomorrow and would like to get a Zelda game. Is there any reason why I shouldn't start with this one?

Yes. It's a direct sequel to Ocarina of Time, both in terms of story and gameplay. You would be better off playing OoT first, because MM is more technically demanding from a gameplay standpoint, and assumes you better understand Zelda logic.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Asked this in another thread with no success so I'm going to ask here. I have never played through any Zelda game. Ever. I am looking to pick up a N3DSXL tomorrow and would like to get a Zelda game. Is there any reason why I shouldn't start with this one?

Majora's Mask, while excellent, is built explicitely with the player having assumed knowledge of how Zelda games function in all facets of design. It's an isolated experience that doesn't require narrative knowledge of previous entries to enjoy, but the game systems might be a bit unforgiving and obtuse to someone going in 100% blind to the franchise.

Ocarina of Time isn't without its faults in aging (dungeon design in retrospect is quite simple), but is still an exceptionally tightly paced and constructed 3D Zelda game that is more or less the best entry point into the series possible.

If you're only getting one I'd grab Ocarina.

dedhead54

Yes. It's a direct sequel to Ocarina of Time, both in terms of story and gameplay. You would be better off playing OoT first, because MM is more technically demanding from a gameplay standpoint, and assumes you better understand Zelda logic.

It's a continuation of Ocarina of Time, a semi-sequel in some regards. The game is probably the most unique of any Zelda title and is polarizing to some, however this version has corrected many of the issues gamers had with it in the past. If you have the time, patience, and desire I would recommend Ocarina of Time 3D first to experience the atypical Zelda formula, and follow it with Majora 3D.

If you just want one game and want to experience your New hardware, go with this game.

If you're just getting into the series I would start with Ocarina of Time 3d before this one.

OoT 3D it is! Thanks guys. Fingers crossed that I can find the system and the game near me tomorrow.

takriel

It might be a little more difficult for first-timers. I'd say start with OoT 3D or A Link Between Worlds. Technically, Majora's Mask is the sequel to OoT, so it would make sense for you to play the latter first.

dock

Would you recommend holding out to play this on the n3ds with c-stick?

Is there a big reason to play this over the n64 version via virtual console?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
zlCfzTBCeA8bl0ehbJ

And thus one of the longest sidequests comes to an end.

Rich!

Well...disappointed with the final battle

in that every other boss was vastly improved from the original, yet Majoras battle was the same. they should have added an extra form or something!!

Also, wasn't expecting the Zora moon dungeon to be changed...although it makes sense. It was stupid as hell before. I have to go back at some point as I missed the heart piece though, doh

Anyhow...just gotta get the heart pieces now, then im done.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Would you recommend holding out to play this on the n3ds with c-stick?

Eh, not really. I'm enjoying the extra camera control but it's in no way essential. Plus there's no other N3DS extras like optimisation.

The tech is significantly improved, so the game from top to bottom looks much, much better. And it performs better. There's a handful of gameplay changes to boss fights, item acquisition and use, etc that are there to make it more accessible, and I think the long run these benefit the game.

Just made it right before the Snowhead temple, I absolutely adore this remake, I had to force myself to put it down. Everything from the visuals to the adjustments to the game's pacing is absolutely fantastic. It is a visual treat and it's a joy to not only rediscover things from the original game, but to find new things as well. I didn't think I'd be surprised after reading so many spoilers prior, but low and behold Nintendo managed to surprise me with what I thought would be a simple reskin of the original game.

Speaking of pacing, playing this remake reminds me of how buttery smooth the game flows if you know what you're doing, especially in comparison to other 3D Zeldas. There's plenty of times in just about every 3D Zelda I've played where you will find yourself completing boring, arduous tasks for a bit before you get to the good stuff. In Majora I feel like I'm never not moving and the "good stuff" just keeps coming. From characters to controls to puzzles and environments, Majora always holds up as something special and fun throughout, whether it's your first playthrough or your eight.

The New XL is awesome too. I never gave a shit about 3D until using this, it actually makes the game look better. Characters and environments have more depth and appear more rounded out, and everything just looks a bit smoother. The camera could use some work in Majora particularly, but the game wasn't designed with it in mind so it's not like it's game-breaking in any way. I've found that if you try to reposition it in many areas, it will latch onto a piece of level geometry for a split second before actually moving. Not the biggest problem, but it can be a bit jarring.

Awesome remake of my favorite game. I'm excited to see what Nintendo produce for the New 3DS. Just in terms of scale, Majora is really setting the bar high for high quality, AAA titles on a portable console. I'd love to see more games like it on the New 3DS in terms of scale, production value, and replayability.

Rich!

Significantly better graphics
Better UI and menus
Better bombers notebook and quest management
Better boss battles, one is completely redesigned.
Improved save system
Better framerate
Various areas are slightly redesigned and improved
Two new fishing areas
You can actually use the final sword properly now as its not limited to a C-Button
Portable

Edzi

Just wanted to say to all the people asking if they should play oot first, you don't have to of you wanna just jump straight in. MM was my first Zelda game, and that's what allowed me to really get wrapped up in it's strangeness since I wasn't anchored to the previous game. It let me experience it in a way I don't think I could have done had I played oot first.

SirNinja

Holy crap, the
final boss arena
is one of the most stunning things the 3DS has ever done graphically. Actually, pretty much everything
on the moon
qualifies.

Really excellent remake. Kinda bummed there's no Hero Mode or anything after the credits roll. Then again, I still have about thirty more Pieces of Heart to collect, plus there's all those Temple fairies to round up (I've only done Woodfall so far), as well as a whole bunch of stuff I've never even touched.

Random note: it's been 15 years, and I still completely suck at the Honey & Darling bombchu minigame. Seems like the more careful I am at lining up a shot, the more inaccurate it ends up being. Their games on days 2 and 3 are so much easier.

Yrael

Hooray, I managed to get to the top of Ikana Canyon early. In the old N64 version you could get across simply by standing at the right spot and hookshotting the tree, but this has been patched out. There is another way, however.

In case it hasn't been explained in the thread already:

- Stand on one of the pegs on the bridge
- Place a bomb directly behind yourself
- Put on the Zora Mask and face towards the other side of the river
- Let the blast catapult you across! (This is the Zora long jump)

RagnarokX

Goddamn the deku scrub playground minigame is frustrating lol. Gonna just forget about that heart piece I think.

That's a weird way to spell easy :p

The only one that's somewhat hard is the second one. Just use your shadow and the tiles on the floor to time and align your landings.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

The only one that's somewhat hard is the second one. Just use your shadow and the tiles on the floor to time and align your landings.

You don't even need to do that. You can hold R while floating and you get an overhead view with a targeting reticule.

Nicktendo86

God reading these impression are killing me, I have a spare £20 game gift card to use, as soon as I get paid next week I will be ordering this! Already made a space on my shelf between OOT3D & ALBW ;)

aravuus

Oh well, I'll give it another try later on when I hopefully find a good way to get rupees. Do I have to finish each day's minigame during a single cycle/loop or will I still get the piece if I spread them out?

RagnarokX

Oh well, I'll give it another try later on when I hopefully find a good way to get rupees. Do I have to finish each day's minigame during a single cycle/loop or will I still get the piece if I spread them out?

You have to do them all in a single cycle. Just get that really easy to get silver rupee in town. That should give you more than enough chances. Get the blue rupee every attempt to extend your chances.

Im now in Stone Tower. There are only 2 negative changes so far, everything else is just perfect,

negative change 1: block creatures aren't licking the Triforce anymore (to debunk theories or just a mistake by Grezzo?)

negative change 2: the "blood stained" emblem outside the temple isn't blood stained anymore as the Garo Master says now glowing red emblem and its now placed right before the entrance, now its just a red emblem. Not a very big deal, but I thought its a little atmosphere loss since the Ikana Canyon is described to have a dark past drenched in blood, in the original the blood stained emblem was a indicator for that you saw with your own eyes. Well, not saying the new one doesn't look good tho.

Edit: In the German version Garo Master still says blood stained red emblem. Good!

Yrael

Coincidentally, I was wondering about those pillars. Can you get up there at all?

It's easier to get there after beating the Great Bay Temple.

There's a boat that sails around the pillars - you ride it and hookshot the palm tree as you go past.

Bogeypop

Coincidentally, I was wondering about those pillars. Can you get up there at all?

Yes you can, but you'll need a certain magical item that a recurring NPC is munching on... Unless you're talking about those islands with the palm tree if so refer to the above.

jorgejjvr

Just started playing on my New 3DS MM LE and man the game looks beautiful, and it feels like it was meant to be played in 3D!!! My 3D slider is all the way up all the time for this game, it just works and looks SO good, cant stress it enough. The c-stick also fits right in with this game. This game is impressing me all over again, feels so new

jorgejjvr

I would also recommend you start with Ocarina of time 3D, and then play this game. They are both some of the best games ever and very different, I think you get to appreciate MM more after OoT, plus it makes more sense to play it in order

zlCfzTBCeA8bl0ehbJ

Oy. It's not that long if you decide to take care of it on the same cycle you decide to go for the Great Gay Temple. If you want an "excuse" to go back to Woodfall Temple... um... fight Odolwa with Goron? I 'unno. Snowhead you need to beat again anyway not only to get the main frog but also an underwater piece of heart with Zora Link once you get the mask... hopefully in the same cycle, guys.

Another thing for you deku scrubs out there, dungeon length is NOT an issue if you have the inverted song of time in play. No, not even Main Dungeon 4, which took me less than 40 minutes real-time on my last run. Yes, I realize that is almost the entire 52-minute NORMAl cycle, but an inverted cycle is roughly 2.5 times as long!

aravuus

I've been playing all day and I'm taking a break cause I have to work on some uni stuff

But I want to play more! I've got the whole next week off, should have waited till then to buy the game lol. Loving it so far and def will give some of the other Zelda games a try too after this, even if MM is the odd one out

EatChildren

Is the new 'stable' 3D good enough to make gyro aiming practical with 3D on or is it too slow to adjust when moving around?

For most part yes. The stable 3D works wonders for me. But you can lose it if you start turning at extreme angles. I always use the gyro in combination with the stick to keep it levelled.

zlCfzTBCeA8bl0ehbJ

I found it best to do this quest when you go for the Stray Fairies. Took little time.
About to do Stone Temple and then wrap up other quests. I find Aju's Grandmother to be the most obnoxious one (500 rupees for a mask, ugh).

Also I learned a new rupee spot, the Ikana Castle with the Gero mask. Those Redead spawn so much rupees. Now 5000 will be a cinch.

For most part yes. The stable 3D works wonders for me. But you can lose it if you start turning at extreme angles. I always use the gyro in combination with the stick to keep it levelled.
I can never get 3D and gyro to work at the same time. I have to cut it off when I shoot arrows. Although the shooting gallery stuff isn't that bad. It is mostly subtle gyro the 3D works. However, you often are not using the arrows subtly.

Bogeypop

I've been playing all day and I'm taking a break cause I have to work on some uni stuff

But I want to play more! I've got the whole next week off, should have waited till then to buy the game lol. Loving it so far and def will give some of the other Zelda games a try too after this, even if MM is the odd one out

Until then, just look up at the moon every night and remember the faces of the people you're fighting for!
lf60WjO.png

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
You have to do them all in a single cycle. Just get that really easy to get silver rupee in town. That should give you more than enough chances. Get the blue rupee every attempt to extend your chances.

Do you? I did day three first, then day one later.

I got stuck and I can't get out. D:
Not even with Zora? That is a funny glitch.
I got one where the stick appeared on top of a treasure chest. Since Link cannot climb chests, I could not reach it.
I then opened the chest and then the stick was floating on top of it. I thought it was funny.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Oy. It's not that long if you decide to take care of it on the same cycle you decide to go for the Great Gay Temple. If you want an "excuse" to go back to Woodfall Temple... um... fight Odolwa with Goron? I 'unno. Snowhead you need to beat again anyway not only to get the main frog but also an underwater piece of heart with Zora Link once you get the mask... hopefully in the same cycle, guys.

Luckily for me I was aware of the quest so I already had things planned in advance so I did it after Great Bay. But it certainly has a lot of steps:
first you have to put the Baby Goron to sleep so you can light the torches so you can get the meat from the chandelier which you can give to the starving Goron for the mask. Then you have to beat the mini bosses in Great Bay and Woodfall and the boss of Snowhead and also find the two frog out in the open (not too hard to find, though the one by the Deku Temple could be tricky if you didn't take not of it).
I just never really see it mentioned when people talk about the long sidequests like the Anju and Kafei one.

And their song only lasts seven seconds!

When the changes were announced, I wasn't sure how much I'd like them all, to be honest. Now that I'm up to Stone Tower Temple, and have completed a great deal of sidequesting, I'm having just as much fun with this game as I did when it was first released. Aside from Zora swimming, I haven't been turned off by a single change yet. And even then, the places where you really need to use it are filled with so many magic decanters you don't even have to worry about running out of magic.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'd like Zora swimming more if I could invert the y-axis. No idea why since I'm used to down is down, but for some reason I feel like controlling Zora Link like a plane.

Top Bottom