• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3D |OT| Remakes are a Nice Thing to Have… Heh, heh

Guru-Guru

Banned
What scene has given you guys the most feels so far?

For me it has to be the Zora transformation mask scene with Mikau...Died trying to get Lulu's eggs back, and that moment when they are holding hands walking back to their band.
Ugh. :(

RK128

For me it has to be the Zora transformation mask scene with Mikau...Ugh. :(

I have a number of moments like that:
-
When you heal Dammani's soul; just, him tearing up seeing his tribe, Link's face flashing, then him nodding his head, stopping his tears and accepting his death
-The entire Anju and Kefi quest; dat ending man :'(.
-The whole Moon portion of the game;
Didn't get this far in the 3DS version yet, but it just has this....vibe that makes you feel sad; all the kids with the boss masks are playing, but the kid with Majora's Mask is just sitting their; alone in the fetal position just waiting for Link to show up. The whole game was just a 'game' to the Mask; he is so lonely that he had to almost kill everything just to get attention.
-Skull Kid meeting the faries; the scene itself is so well done and you can tell they became genuine friends.

...The game is just fantasic :'), and I am so glad it is getting so much attention now thanks to this remaster. The utter best Zelda game is finally getting its time to shine, so it is fantastic to see so many fall in love with the game like I did when I played it on the Wii VC back in 2010 :').

For me it has to be the Zora transformation mask scene with Mikau...Died trying to get Lulu's eggs back, and that moment when they are holding hands walking back to their band.
I remember being really upset at those scenes when I was a kid. I thought the song of healing killed them...nice to replay it and understand it better.

braves01

Banned
My copy came in the mail today, and I've played up to the first dungeon. I'm surprised at how well I remember it so far, considering I haven't really played it through it in *gulp* 15 years*. I'm getting old.

Guru-Guru

Banned
I remember being really upset at those scenes when I was a kid. I thought the song of healing killed them...nice to replay it and understand it better.
I thought the same thing. A couple of other scenes went completely over my head when I first played MM, likely because I was only 9 years old!

Burning Justice

the superior princess

A screenshot from my favorite scene in MM:

http://i.imgur.com/Eco0n18.jpg

Cremia talking with Romani on the Final Day.

It's one of several hidden scenes in MM that you can only see if you go to the right place at the right time. Finding scenes like this while exploring was my favorite part of Majora's Mask when I first played it.

RK128

My copy came in the mail today, and I've played up to the first dungeon. I'm surprised at how well I remember it so far, considering I haven't really played it through it in *gulp* 15 years*. I'm getting old.

It is so odd for me; the only time I looked online for help for the game was for the new location of the Stone Mask and the fox mask heart piece; I went though all the dungeons and got all the fractured farires, got all the masks, and a majority of the heart pieces....all from muscle memory XD!

Guess I loved the game so much, that I remember almost all of it through my nistolga from playing it :'). Really happy we got the remake; it makes a perfect game, well, more perfect :).

Kriken

Pamela and her father followed by Romani and Cremia saying "see you tomorrow" on the final night

Revven

Woodfall Temple down + all stray fairies collected from it. I was getting a little worried towards the end because I was an idiot and wasted a ton of time on the second last part of the temple
the part where you have to raise the flower to reach the room that has the boss door, I forgot that the torch mechanics in this game are super lenient for shooting the arrows through it so I was overthinking it

Also managed to complete the Swamp Shooting Gallery, gyro controls make it really easy. I tried the fishing hole out, it's pretty cool, but is there any reward to get from it or is it only for fun? I didn't spend a long time with it to find out so please someone let me know so I don't wind up wasting my time with it if there's nothing to gain from it atm. Oh this is also in reference to the Swamp fishing hole, not the second one.

Marjar

Banned
Ugh, is it me or is the
Goron Dungeon on the moon even WORSE than it was in the original? It feels like I have to constantly adjust my stick to stay straight and I just keep bouncing off in a random direction when I hit a chest.

Edit: Nevermind, got it. That part is still awful though. :p

Pappasman

Okay so I just finished up Majora’s Mask 3D (fair warning: I’m going to be very nitpicky because this game is really great and there isn’t a lot to praise that hasn’t been praised already). Going into it I was really disappointed by all of the changes I had seen up to that point. However, by playing the game myself I found it to be much better than I was expecting. The biggest change to me was the saving system and my feelings on that haven’t changed. The new saving system negatively impacts the game design, atmosphere and tension. While that is a shame, I see now that it was an important change to better suit the game for a handheld system. It works perfectly for the platform it is on and really doesn’t make that much of a difference. If this was a console remake I would not be as forgiving, but it works perfectly for the 3DS.

One of the biggest disappointments to me is that a lot of the changes make the MM feel more “gamey” and breaks the feel of the world. Changes like the mask salesman giving you the Bombers’ notebook instead of the Bombers themselves. I get that they don’t want you to miss the notebook as it is very helpful to new players, but it doesn’t make any sense as to why he would have it. The bombers even say “If only you were human… Then I could give you an original Bombers’ Notebook and make you a member…” but they turn you away because you are a Deku Scrub. The player is meant to see that and remember to return once they become human again. This is meant to teach the player to pay attention and think about their quest options but this lesson is nullified by just giving it to you. This is just one example, but these more “gamey” changes also extend to the boss fights.

I really did not like the new boss fights.
They have much more identifiable phases and have predicable eye weak points. The Odowala fight was fine, but the other 3 suffered. Goht just added an eye weak point to add a small, meaningless aspect to the fight and Gyorg’s fight has the standard “enemy sucks bomb” cliché. Twinmold is probably the worst offender. The giant’s mask is optional in the original version and it may not even occur to the player to use it during the fight. Even without the mask, Twinmold is still a doable, yet tough fight. The two Twinmolds are equal yet have different weakness and the player is left to decide how to take them on. In the 3DS version the blue Twinmold is nothing more than a fodder enemy for the true fight against the red one. Giving you the Giant’s mask halfway through the boss fight felt really forced and becoming Donkey Kong Link to fight the boss was really silly in a way that just did not fit with the rest of the game. The stupid grab and swing animation didn’t help either.

One thing I really didn’t like was that movement and speed seemed to be universally slowed down. Deku Link’s spin no longer gives him a boost, the new Zora swimming is just awful and the Goron rolling is switch instead of hold. These aren’t big things but I do think they take away a lot of the fun of just moving around, which is something I feel is never really talked about in games discussion (Nintendo has been doing this with Mario too, his movement has become slower and boring since SM64, but that’s a totally different discussion). This also extends to the first person view where using the circle pad is so slow that it’s almost unusable. Thank god for the amazing gyro aiming because using the first person view would be much harder without it.

Now a lot of my criticism is a bunch of nitpicky bullshit I know, but Majora’s Mask is my second favorite game ever and these types of things really stuck out to me as I know the original like the back of my hand. I think MM3D is a fantastic game and retains 99% of what I love about MM. My personal preference stays with the VC version, but MM3D is a fantastic.

soultron

Banned
I'm stuck and I feel really stupid.

I know I need either an empty bottle or the Goron mask to continue, but I cannot figure out how/where to get them. Any leading hints on this? Not asking for a flat-out gimme.

KarmaCow

I'm stuck and I feel really stupid.

I know I need either an empty bottle or the Goron mask to continue, but I cannot figure out how/where to get them. Any leading hints on this? Not asking for a flat-out gimme.

I'm kinda confused where you are if you're feeling stuck and think you need a bottle or Goron mask. I'm assuming Snowhead, but there is something very conspicuous in the area that you should have run into already.

soultron

Banned
I'm kinda confused where you are if you're feeling stuck and think you need a bottle or Goron mask.
In the swamp, one of the witches in the Forest of Mystery is asking for something that will give her energy, which suggests Romani milk or spring water near the witches hut.

For the Goron mask, I have the one quest that starts in the inn, suggesting I need to sneak into the room on the 2F.

I cannot progress to any of the dungeons because it seems like I need a bigger bomb to destroy certain rocks over grotto holes. Either that or I need the horse to jump over some of the low fences?

KarmaCow

In the swamp, one of the witches in the Forest of Mystery is asking for something that will give her energy, which suggests Romani milk or spring water near the witches hut.

For the Goron mask, I have the one quest that starts in the inn, suggesting I need to sneak into the room on the 2F.

I can progress to any of the dungeons because it seems like I need a bigger bomb to destroy certain rocks over grotto holes. Either that or I need the horse to jump over some of the low fences?

Oh, there is more than one thing that gives energy. Also, I'm sure the witch in the forest has someone that cares for her well being.

I cannot progress to any of the dungeons because it seems like I need a bigger bomb to destroy certain rocks over grotto holes. Either that or I need the horse to jump over some of the low fences?

Disregard what I said, I thought you were at a different point in the game

soultron

Banned
Oh, there is more than one thing that gives energy. Also, I'm sure the witch in the forest has someone that cares for her well being.
I think this will help. Thanks!

She prompts you to give an item, but I don't have anything that she'll accept, so that's why I was thinking I needed a bottle to hold milk or a portion or spring water.

I'll wait for a certain someone who I saw moving through the forest the first time I went in.

Anyhow, back to working on figuring out how to advance. Thanks again!

I think this will help. Thanks!

She prompts you to give an item, but I don't have anything that she'll accept, so that's why I was thinking I needed a bottle to hold milk or a portion or spring water.

I'll wait for a certain someone who I saw moving through the forest the first time I went in.

Anyhow, back to working on figuring out how to advance. Thanks again!
After talking to the collapsed which go to the one in the potion shop. She'll give you a potion+bottle

LostAnkh

l4VCG8zl.jpg
I was pretty upset, although I shouldn't be since the goods aren't damaged or anything. This was just a badly packaged and handled by both GS & UPS.

Aside from this, I'm past the first temple and got one or two masks.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You lose your arrows and bombs and rupees, but from previous cycles you know where you can get rupees and bombs and arrows in a few minutes and then you're starting off even better than last time. You know where the next dungeon is and how to get there. Not to mention you actually keep important equipment and open shortcuts.
A lot of pots and bushes near owl statues tend to have fairies, bombs and arrows so it's pretty easy to stock up the moment you warp to your desired location.

royox

Ahhhh, I meant when the moon crashes. So you'll lose everything? It's pretty much a deleted save after that? I've never played MM before, so is there any item I should get immediately to prevent frustration?

You have to return to the 1st day before the moon crashes and you can do that with the 1st item you get in the game.

People plays the game thinking time is an enemy, people should play this game thinking Link is a Time Bender.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Hey Sakon, you're a piece of shit and you should feel pretty bad about your shit hideout.

A screenshot from my favorite scene in MM:

http://i.imgur.com/Eco0n18.jpg

Cremia talking with Romani on the Final Day.

It's one of several hidden scenes in MM that you can only see if you go to the right place at the right time. Finding scenes like this while exploring was my favorite part of Majora's Mask when I first played it.

That's not (Scene Spoiler)
Pamela hugging her dad

teeny

Playing this game again on the 3DS has given me a new-found appreciation for the length and depth of the sidequests. The rewards are, generally, the same (ie pieces of heart) or masks that may or may not have added gameplay implications but they make the whole world feel interconnected and satisfying in a way that's been missing from Zelda for a long while. I actually care about helping these characters, not for the heart piece, but for the emotional payout! The world building and density of content is simply phenomenal, miles better than pretty much anything else I can think of.

Formless

Wow loving this game. There's so much to do at any given point. I don't like the Stray Fairies, I guess more on principle of having to sometimes revisit a dungeon (re-beating bosses does this too, sort of) though.

I just unlocked Zora Link

:(

The swimming speed...

Anyway, Link can be an absolute jackass during this section of the game. He can promise a little girl he'll help her fight aliens and just ignore her after he gets his horse (and she gets abducted and lobotomized), he can ignore and reply that he doesn't care to hear Mikau's dying song.

It was really awesome for them to make the Powder Keg license permanent though. What a super annoying restriction in the old game having to redo Snowhead's boss, the fairly long annoying keg trial and then have to go back to Romani Ranch in the span of one day, every time you wanted to do any side quests on the ranch (and there's a few fairly long ones). Now you do it once and you're set forever.

Jamix012

It was really awesome for them to make the Powder Keg license permanent though. What a super annoying restriction in the old game having to redo Snowhead's boss, the fairly long annoying keg trial and then have to go back to Romani Ranch in the span of one day, every time you wanted to do any side quests on the ranch (and there's a few fairly long ones). Now you do it once and you're set forever.

I'm like 90% sure you had a powder keg license permanently in the old game too.

edit: Yeah, you did

You have to return to the 1st day before the moon crashes and you can do that with the 1st item you get in the game.

People plays the game thinking time is an enemy, people should play this game thinking Link is a Time Bender.

thanks for the help. yeah, I got the game today and I love this mechanic. amazing so far!

Jamix012

You did?

So I did that whole quest over again like 3 times for no reason as a kid!?

Yes indeed. Sorry =/

For the record I don't think the Goron in Snowhead sold you powder kegs on different cycles without doing his little quest, but the Goron in the clock town bomb shop definitely sold them to you if you needed them again without having to do anything extra.

Neiteio

Beat Snowhead yesterday, 15 Stray Fairies included. I fell repeatedly jumping to the last one. You know the one... But what really tripped me up is I forgot all about the elevator room with the frozen eye-switch. It's the only way up and around the pillar once it's raised. Ha! It really is a brilliant dungeon, though. One of my favorites, and Goht is just SO GOOD!

Question: In Great Bay, in the Pirate Fortress, will I come across the Hookshot and the
Stone Mask
before encountering any Zora eggs? Because I'd like to grab those two items, leave, get the seventh bottle from the Beaver Bros., and then start a fresh cycle where I can get all of the eggs from the Pirate Fortress and Pinnacle Rock in one pass.

Yes indeed. Sorry =/

For the record I don't think the Goron in Snowhead sold you powder kegs on different cycles without doing his little quest, but the Goron in the clock town bomb shop definitely sold them to you if you needed them again without having to do anything extra.

That's why I redid it so many times, I probably didn't notice the bomb shop Goron. It was like 10 years ago, I don't remember, I just remember that part being super annoying and tedious.

Beat Snowhead yesterday, 15 Stray Fairies included. I fell repeatedly jumping to the last one. You know the one... But what really tripped me up is I forgot all about the elevator room with the frozen eye-switch. It's the only way up and around the pillar once it's raised. Ha! It really is a brilliant dungeon, though. One of my favorites, and Goht is just SO GOOD!

Question: In Great Bay, in the Pirate Fortress, will I come across the Hookshot and the
Stone Mask
before encountering any Zora eggs? Because I'd like to grab those two items, leave, get the seventh bottle from the Beaver Bros., and then start a fresh cycle where I can get all of the eggs from the Pirate Fortress and Pinnacle Rock in one pass.

I don't really know how, but I skipped like half of Snowhead. Whole floors of my map are still black. I think because I used the Deku Flower in front of the boss door to fly around to the floor I needed rather than wander around and do it the "right" way.

Morts

I don't really know how, but I skipped like half of Snowhead. Whole floors of my map are still black. I think because I used the Deku Flower in front of the boss door to fly around to the floor I needed rather than wander around and do it the "right" way.

I think I did the same thing. Snowhead seemed a lot shorter than I remembered, and when I went back in for fairies after finishing it there were several rooms I entered for the first time. Even ended up getting a small key after beating the temple.

I think I did the same thing. Snowhead seemed a lot shorter than I remembered, and when I went back in for fairies after finishing it there were several rooms I entered for the first time. Even ended up getting a small key after beating the temple.

I'm not sure why that flower is even there. Just replacing it with a ramp would serve the same intended purpose (being able to get back to the other side) without allowing you free flight to go to whatever floor you want.

Funny story. I was doing the part where you need to chase Darmani and there's this river with ice blocks in it you need to cross. It was an annoying, slippery platforming mess and I fell in several times, but managed to do it.

On the way back, I was annoyed to need to do it again until I realized the Deku Mask can entirely skip the platforming part because he can hop across the entire river with enough speed... woops

muteki

So I think I have finally figured out what my issue with this game is.

I have had the old cart for well over a decade now and have tried a few times to get into the game but I always put it down sometime before/after the first temple and just never pick it back up again. I figured with the re-release I would really give it one last go and since the guide looked nice, pick that up too in case I started getting frustrated with the game again.

Well here we go I'm going though all the motions best I know how sans guide and I get through the first temple then just stop. I take a look at the new-and-improved bombers notebook to see if I can spend some time figuring out all these events and people that everyone always writes so positively about, and after an hour or so of walking around trying things aimlessly I am right back to where I started, and I start following the guide for a few days.

Best I can tell, I really like and can enjoy games where you have an open-ended adventure in front of you with little/no direction that you get through by exploring the space itself. What I see that is different here with Majora's Mask is while there is a bit of that too, there is also this "time exploration" element that is highly dependant upon you not only being in the right place but also at the right time, and my mind is having a hard time figuring that out.

So far, the few events that I have completed using the guide to me seem so completely reliant on serendipity for someone to discover on their own, that I don't think I would ever have the patience to not only explore everywhere but also every when. These interactions
The old lady being mugged one night, the hand in the bathroom of the inn
I don't think I would ever just bump into on my own. And what is in the bombers notebook doesn't give you a hint, best I can tell, on when you need to be where unless you have gotten lucky at least once and can trigger an event to get the schedule posted to the notebook.

I'm going to keep at it this time for sure and maybe halfway through things will finally click with me and I can go about things on my own but right now, while I can certainly appreciate how intricate things are and how the work together in the game, I have no interest at the moment of fumbling through it without a guide.

tl;dr - why can I explore space so well, but not time?

Mr-Joker

Banned
Man I am really loving the new touches that they added to the game and just reminds me why Majora's Mask is my fave Zelda game.

1. Also what do you get from the fishing mini game?

2. In the Witch shooting mini game she gave me a
Bottle
didn't she used to give a
heart piece?

My circle pad fell off halfway through the Deku butler's labyrinth. :(

Ha ha, I remember when mine fell off due to Super Smash Bros 3DS... I had to super glue it back on. >_<

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
And what is in the bombers notebook doesn't give you a hint, best I can tell, on when you need to be where unless you have gotten lucky at least once and can trigger an event to get the schedule posted to the notebook.?

There are rumours that the bomb kids give you. Every cycle they'll tell you something you haven't done. Eventually you'll find out about those time specific moments.

Man I am really loving the new touches that they added to the game and just reminds me why Majora's Mask is my fave Zelda game.

1. Also what do you get from the fishing mini game?

2. In the Witch shooting mini game she gave me a
Bottle
didn't she used to give a
heart piece?

Ha ha, I remember when mine fell off due to Super Smash Bros 3DS... I had to super glue it back on. >_<

The
heart piece
has been swapped with the one normally received from Dampe's Digging Game, which no longer rewards
a bottle

Yrael

Whaa? Then where is the mythical
7th Bottle hidden?
And here I was acting smug for finding it early. ;_;

There's a brand new sidequest involving Gorman.

I won't say explicitly what you have to do, but I will say that it involves his mask.

Hylian7

Probably this one:
Trying to do the puzzle to get the Sun's Mask back for Kafei and accidentally pressing one of the speed up switches, and the mask falls down the hole, and now you're both technically stuck in there (except Link can warp out of course), but Tatl says "He wants to be alone, just play your ocarina and warp out of here."

Sakura

Dear Lord I had heard swimming was worse now but... I wasn't actually expecting it to be so shitty. Why did they change it?
Also why doesn't the camera follow the direction I am swimming towards? I can't even use the nub to control the camera because I gotta hold the stupid button.

aravuus

Wow, can't wait for the swimming sections lol. There's not a single game ever that has had a swimming section/underwater level that wasn't shit

Top Bottom