• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3D |OT| Remakes are a Nice Thing to Have… Heh, heh

Pappasman

Pretty sure you could glitch that in the original game. Since it uses the same code, with just a few edits for extra features, the glitches in the original game all stayed.
No they didn't. Many were removed, and new ones have popped up. Its cool though, I like this stuff and normal playthrough would never come across it so its not a big deal.

emb

Welp, good job Grezzo.
Fierce Deity
mask anywhere: https://vine.co/v/Ox2mWOAZ90K
Would definitely be a good job if intentional. Being restricted to boss fights isn't cool. (I'm aware that it existed before; removing good glitches should also never be the aim of a remake. All (single-player) glitches are good if they don't delete data/prevent progress and are hard to trigger by accident.)

I've never gotten it though, so I don't know if the restriction is for the greater good or what.

Would definitely be a good job if intentional. Being restricted to boss fights isn't cool.

I've never gotten it though, so I don't know if the restriction is for the greater good or what.

Well, just off the top of my head, nothing in the universe outside of the boss rooms is designed for an adult Link body shape. There's no animation for him to open doors, for example, among how many other things.

emb

Well, just off the top of my head, nothing in the universe outside of the boss rooms is designed for an adult Link body shape. There's no animation for him to open doors, for example, among how many other things.
Goron Link is roughly the size of adult Link though. If you can't walk through a doorway or something, you could always just take the mask off.

I mean, there's no real use for it. But I'm also not sure why I can't just put it on and run around Termina field killing stuff with it. Pointless? Sure.

Fixed1979

I'm still at the very start of this game, the second 3 day mission. What happens if you don't complete the goal before the 3 days is up? I'm terrified of having to do things over again.

EDIT: and the answer is in the OP...should have known

I can't beat all the dungeons in 3 days! How am I going to beat this game?
You don't need to beat this game in one cycle; all you have to do is play the Song of Time to save and restart the cycle. You can attempt unlimited cycles.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Would definitely be a good job if intentional. Being restricted to boss fights isn't cool. (I'm aware that it existed before; removing good glitches should also never be the aim of a remake. All (single-player) glitches are good if they don't delete data/prevent progress and are hard to trigger by accident.)

All of the known glitches that allowed you to
be Fierce Deity Link
anywhere in the N64 version were actually fixed in the 3DS version. There are a couple new ones in the 3DS version that weren't in the N64 version, though. This is the safest way to do it that I know of.

Fierce Deity Link is also more limited in the 3DS version than he was in the N64 version, too--the game now freezes if you try to open a door as him, and he can't climb ladders anymore.
So I don't think it was intentional.

KarmaCow

I'm still at the very start of this game, the second 3 day mission. What happens if you don't complete the goal before the 3 days is up? I'm terrified of having to do things over again.

It's impossible to complete the entire game in 3 in-game days, there are multiple pseudo-checkpoints whenever you get something of note. Generally, everything you get stays with you between cycles so even if the world resets, you can skip getting that item again.

It's impossible to complete the entire game in 3 in-game days, there are multiple pseudo-checkpoints whenever you get something of note. Generally, everything you get stays with you between cycles so even if the world resets, you can skip getting that item again.

Yup. Even speed runs use 4 cycles. (For various reasons)

emb

All of the known glitches that allowed you to
be Fierce Deity Link
anywhere in the N64 version were actually fixed in the 3DS version. There are a couple new ones in the 3DS version that weren't in the N64 version, though. This is the safest way to do it that I know of.

Fierce Deity Link is also more limited in the 3DS version than he was in the N64 version, too--the game now freezes if you try to open a door as him, and he can't climb ladders anymore.
So I don't think it was intentional.
Haven't watched 'em, since I still kinda want to see what FD is like for myself. (Only ever seen the artwork, never played it.) I didn't expect it to be intentional, but didn't realize it was a totally different glitch. That's a shame he can't do stuff now. :(

It's impressive how solid Zelda games feel in a normal playthrough, vs how many glitches are available if you're looking/trying for them. Any other cool new stuff in MM 3D that's been discovered?

Ants

So I finally got my limited edition copy today and the big box that it comes in is ripped on both sides. I'm pretty pissed.

Don't know what to do now since it's a limited edition and I can't just simply replace it at Amazon since there are none to replace it with.

Damn, dude, that's fucking awful. I guess this solves the open it/don't open it debate, but that's seriously terrible. I'm sorry it happened to you.

Just use the zora animations. It's a flimsy excuse and at the point where you are even able to get the mask it's absolutely asinine that they still restrict it to boss rooms.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I can't find the
invisible guy in the pirate fortress
. I remember the first time I played he was just kind of standing somewhere, but I don't remember where, and I haven't been able to find him. I've
used the Eye of Truth
everywhere.

I gotta ask, what does getting all the Stray Fairies gets you? I never completed that quest on the N64.

The Great Fairy Sword, more magic, more defense, Great Fairy Mask, bigger circle slash.
Unless you mean all 61 in one three day period, I've never done that

Rich!

Yeah, just tried out Zora swimming.....why?.

I felt the same. Then I went back to my N64 and tried out the original in Great Temple Bay earlier just for fun

Uh...I prefer the new swimming really. The only negative point is that swimming outdoors in great bay itself is now nowhere near as fun. But hey, the majority of the time you spend as Zora Link is in dungeons. And now you don't smash into walls repeatedly.

I can't find the
. I remember the first time I played he was just kind of standing somewhere, but I don't remember where, and I haven't been able to find him. I've
used the Eye of Truth
everywhere.

he is in the main courtyard, right in the middle, underneath the central wooden tower.

KarmaCow

I can't find the
used the Eye of Truth
everywhere.

Tatl will notice something odd near the center.

KarmaCow

I think I'm done with the game now. I've got everything except catch every fish. I might go back to do that but I feel satisfied with everything else.

Overall it's a pretty good remake. The aesthetic changes are improvements pretty much all around with a few exceptions but I don't feel comfortable with some of the design changes. I'm sure there are many subtle ones I simply glossed over since I'm not intimately familiar with MM as I am with OoT but I still don't really like the bigger changes. The bomber's notebook was not as intrusive as I thought it might be but things like the Zora swimming change and saving at statues still feels off. I actually never used the song of double time in my playthrough so I forgot to check out how that affected things. I know at the very least if I had simply skipped ahead I would missed something that I had never seen before which was
Sakon in Ikana Valley and having him ask to hold your sword.

That probably sounds negative but this release is still probably the most ideal way to play the game. The framerate alone makes the game way better.

I knew it was worth me still gossiping to all stones with the mask of truth, I wasn't expecting to hear anything I didn't already know but I'd have missed the Stone mask otherwise.
Oh that's what Tatl meant when she said she heard something in the fortress, I was too busy making a beeline to the central ladder, returned with my overpriced red potion (up yours Zora shop price hike) during the last few hours.

samn

I'm in the water temple of OOT and I've failed to collect a key I needed earlier on, pain in the arse to figure out where it is and I really just want to get on with Majora now I have my n3DS... am I missing a lot if I just start MM now and go back to OOT later?

Mr-Joker

Banned
I'm in the water temple of OOT and I've failed to collect a key I needed earlier on, pain in the arse to figure out where it is and I really just want to get on with Majora now I have my n3DS... am I missing a lot if I just start MM now and go back to OOT later?

While Majora's Mask is a sequel to Ocarina of Time, you can safely play the game without finishing Ocarina of Time.

The connection pretty much only stops at the beginning of the game.

disco

Sometimes when the clock chimes and a new day is about to begin, a black box comes around the screen and shrinks the top screen content, and then it does it again and then when the next day image is played its all back to normal. Is this a glitch? I find it quite strange.

Sometimes when the clock chimes and a new day is about to begin, a black box comes around the screen and shrinks the top screen content, and then it does it again and then when the next day image is played its all back to normal. Is this a glitch? I find it quite strange.

I've noticed the same - very annoying.

Do you have the map and compass? You can see where chests are located. I've been playing OoT3D and didn't have any issue with the Water Temple, the new inventory system takes out all the frustration from the N64 version.

Kouriozan

Nope, it's normal and was in the N64 version too.
I know some people mistaken it for a graphical glitch :lol

disco

I'm surprised people have thought of it this way, it seemed completely obvious it was intentional; it exemplified the feeling of being trapped.

I find its a little too meta for Zelda. Adding in the viewers perspective through the use of technology is just a bit too odd. If people started moving faster or showed a real sense of panic or the environment started to become red or covered in shadow then I think it would feel more dooming. Otherwise it's just too strange...

neoism

Guys anyone playing this on the OG 3dsXL and I was wondering if you put it in the sleep mode..... or not. Mine doesn't seem to last that long with this game.. at most about 1 and half days.

Would the battery last longer if its not ingame.. I just play it here and there and I look over and the light is that red color. I had it for 2 years but I've barely used it this year or last.

Just got the last mask and I'm only missing 4 more heart pieces which should be lying around somewhere since my notebook seems complete.

The only mask I couldn't figure out myself was
the All-Night mask. I was sure I tried everything possible that had to do with the Curiosity Shop, but somehow I missed it and couldn't get it to turn up.

Time for the final battle I guess

LegendX48

My copy finally arrived earlier and I'm still Deku Link (dunno if that's important) and I just noticed that I can't pause the game.... does that change later?

Revven

Doing sidequests is so addicting, I'm figuring out stuff without even meaning to some of the time and it feels oh so nice. :D

I find its a little too meta for Zelda. Adding in the viewers perspective through the use of technology is just a bit too odd. If people started moving faster or showed a real sense of panic or the environment started to become red or covered in shadow then I think it would feel more dooming. Otherwise it's just too strange...

I feel like this game goes to some lengths to make you feel depressed and uncomfortable without ever making its characters break out of their independent lives, like if you're supposed to feel like an outsider who gets hardly any recognition for your efforts until the very last moments in the game. It's very emotionally straining tbh.

braves01

Banned
Has anyone else found the fps to dip quite a bit at times (with 3D on)? I don't remember Ocarina 3D ever dropping frames quite as harshly. The first dungeon boss ran particularly choppy.

Currently in the water temple and ugh, I have the boss key and everything I'm just stuck on where to go next.

I felt the same. Then I went back to my N64 and tried out the original in Great Temple Bay earlier just for fun

Uh...I prefer the new swimming really. The only negative point is that swimming outdoors in great bay itself is now nowhere near as fun. But hey, the majority of the time you spend as Zora Link is in dungeons. And now you don't smash into walls repeatedly.

It definitely is more practical and I don't mind it at all, but yeah it just takes the fun out of swimming outdoors, they should've changed it but allowed the Zora swim to be used without magic.

LegendX48

Has anyone else found the fps to dip quite a bit at times (with 3D on)? I don't remember Ocarina 3D ever dropping frames quite as harshly. The first dungeon boss ran particularly choppy.

oh yeah, the first five minutes had dips all over the friggen place :\

Ocarina 3D only really dropped during the same exact moments the N64 would (for me)
the first phase of the final fight with Ganon, before he destroys the castle. The explosion of his beam after the tennis bit is a frame rate killer

Kinsei

Banned

With 3D on the only time I've noticed an FPS dip so far was when I was destroying the three giant snowballs outside the stairs that led to the floor the boss room is on in Snowhead.

Wow. I was just about finished with the 3rd temple, and my game cart randomly decided to eject. My hands weren't anywhere near it! So now I have to redo the whole temple, and get all the stray fairies again (I had 13/15). I mean, it will be easier this time, but it is such a pain...

Zing

Banned
Guys anyone playing this on the OG 3dsXL and I was wondering if you put it in the sleep mode..... or not. Mine doesn't seem to last that long with this game.. at most about 1 and half days.

Would the battery last longer if its not ingame.. I just play it here and there and I look over and the light is that red color. I had it for 2 years but I've barely used it this year or last.
The system has always only lasted about a day in sleep mode. It has nothing to do with the game you have loaded.

Finally got to try the game today after my New 3DS XL arrived. I'm extremely impressed with it after only half an hour of playing it. Even the title screen sequence gave me goosebumps. Really phenomenal job for a remake.

Only real gripe is the same one I had with OoT... Not re-orchestrating the music is such a colossal missed opportunity. They could have included an option to switch it back to the original music if they wanted to, without much effort. It's really a shame they remastered everything else so well yet left the soundtrack as is.

Oh well. At least the original music has aged pretty well.

I feel like this game goes to some lengths to make you feel depressed and uncomfortable without ever making its characters break out of their independent lives, like if you're supposed to feel like an outsider who gets hardly any recognition for your efforts until the very last moments in the game. It's very emotionally straining tbh.

This game is dark. It is a type of dark that I can't really describe outside of unsettling.

When it came out 15 years ago I recall it being slightly depressing but when I played it this time it really hit me hard.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

It looks like the game is sometimes dying if you goron roll close to the camera.

Top Bottom