• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3D |OT| Remakes are a Nice Thing to Have… Heh, heh

Hylian7

Dear Lord I had heard swimming was worse now but... I wasn't actually expecting it to be so shitty. Why did they change it?
Also why doesn't the camera follow the direction I am swimming towards? I can't even use the nub to control the camera because I gotta hold the stupid button.

I really wish at the very least they went the goron route and made the button a toggle for swimming so you could adjust the camera.

That said I still like the new swimming because I have better control over it in smaller spaces.

Morts

Dear Lord I had heard swimming was worse now but... I wasn't actually expecting it to be so shitty. Why did they change it?
Also why doesn't the camera follow the direction I am swimming towards? I can't even use the nub to control the camera because I gotta hold the stupid button.

I never failed the beaver race in the original or VC version but it took me several tries on 3ds.

I always hated the water part of the game... stuck at the bit where
you have to find that golden seahorse to guide you through Pinnacle Rock to get the last Zora eggs... I just can't remember how to do it. Could have sword you need the eye of truth?
Gonna try it in a few hours, but right now my save's at a point where I'm dangerously close to running out of time...

TheMoon

So I think I have finally figured out what my issue with this game is.

I have had the old cart for well over a decade now and have tried a few times to get into the game but I always put it down sometime before/after the first temple and just never pick it back up again. I figured with the re-release I would really give it one last go and since the guide looked nice, pick that up too in case I started getting frustrated with the game again.

Well here we go I'm going though all the motions best I know how sans guide and I get through the first temple then just stop. I take a look at the new-and-improved bombers notebook to see if I can spend some time figuring out all these events and people that everyone always writes so positively about, and after an hour or so of walking around trying things aimlessly I am right back to where I started, and I start following the guide for a few days.

Best I can tell, I really like and can enjoy games where you have an open-ended adventure in front of you with little/no direction that you get through by exploring the space itself. What I see that is different here with Majora's Mask is while there is a bit of that too, there is also this "time exploration" element that is highly dependant upon you not only being in the right place but also at the right time, and my mind is having a hard time figuring that out.

So far, the few events that I have completed using the guide to me seem so completely reliant on serendipity for someone to discover on their own, that I don't think I would ever have the patience to not only explore everywhere but also every when. These interactions
The old lady being mugged one night, the hand in the bathroom of the inn
I don't think I would ever just bump into on my own. And what is in the bombers notebook doesn't give you a hint, best I can tell, on when you need to be where unless you have gotten lucky at least once and can trigger an event to get the schedule posted to the notebook.

I'm going to keep at it this time for sure and maybe halfway through things will finally click with me and I can go about things on my own but right now, while I can certainly appreciate how intricate things are and how the work together in the game, I have no interest at the moment of fumbling through it without a guide.

tl;dr - why can I explore space so well, but not time?

I think what you're doing "wrong" is not talking to people enough. You need to realize that most of the events happen or trigger expository hints when talking to people. And it changes depending on the time of day or location. The way you could notice the bomb shop lady is when you try to get up to that heart piece in the tree on the night of the first day and you notice the thief hiding in the corner a long time before the hit happens. The Bombers also give you hints. Other people give you nudges towards other quests, too. Talk to the Postman at various times to get info on what he's up to, etc. It's all about talking to people at various times. Don't just talk to them once and then never again. That's a big mistake. Talk to them with a mask on, talk to them after you've triggered another (bigger) event or something that might be related to them in some way (p-p-p-paaaaper). Use the schedule and the alarm system to figure out when they are where and what might have been a problem you could solve for them. It's all possible without a guide. This is a world to "live" in. That requires patience and willingness to commit to a degree.

Hylian7

Übermatik;152759342 said:
I always hated the water part of the game... stuck at the bit where
you have to find that golden seahorse to guide you through Pinnacle Rock to get the last Zora eggs... I just can't remember how to do it. Could have sword you need the eye of truth?
Gonna try it in a few hours, but right now my save's at a point where I'm dangerously close to running out of time...

A little hint:
You have to get the seahorse from somewhere else and bring it with you to that point.

Jamix012

Wow, can't wait for the swimming sections lol. There's not a single game ever that has had a swimming section/underwater level that wasn't shit

Swimming in the original MM was glorious. Swimming in this version is one of the two major complaints I have about this remake.

Filben

Wow, can't wait for the swimming sections lol. There's not a single game ever that has had a swimming section/underwater level that wasn't shit
Water Temples/Dungeons in Zelda I always hated...

As for other games I really liked water levels in the old Tomb Raider games. Water was always something dangerous because you have never known if there were enemies or some sort of stream. Or you were just running out of air. But those puzzles involving water areas weren't annoying like in Zelda games :/

aravuus

Swimming in the original MM was glorious. Swimming in this version is one of the two major complaints I have about this remake.

I'm surprised, I thought the only change was that, for no reason whatsoever, swimming fast consumes magic. Unless there's something else, too? Cause while it does sound like a stupid change, it doesn't sound like something that'd single-handedly turn it from glorious to bad.

Water Temples/Dungeons in Zelda I always hated...

As for other games I really liked water levels in the old Tomb Raider games. Water was always something dangerous because you have never known if there were enemies or some sort of stream. Or you were just running out of air. But those puzzles involving water areas weren't annoying like in Zelda games :/

Well okay, there are some okay or maybe even good water levels, but they are SO rare. Never played the older TR games (or any TR games for that matter) so I can't say anything about them.

Neiteio

RE: knowing when and where different things happen:

If you were playing this in a vacuum, with no prior knowledge (so no Nintendo Power dropping tips leading up to release, no communication with other players, etc), you'd still figure out everything... eventually. But it'd take a while.

The Gossip Stones all offer hints once you talk to them with the Mask of Truth. This requires you to complete the Swamp Spider House, which stands in plain sight in the middle of the swamp. Once you get the Mask of Truth, you're told it can communicate with Gossip Stones. So you start talking to them, and they start telling you about different events.

The Bombers now tell you about events, as well. They'll run up to you and share a rumor they've heard, which is then logged in your notebook as a reminder to investigate it further.

And as a general rule of thumb, in a game where the NPCs have different schedules on different days, it's wise to check in with each NPC each night and each day. See where they are, and what they're doing. Maybe try talking to them with different masks. You'll no doubt add more clues to your notebook.

There are other context clues. When the worker removes the boulder in front of Romani Ranch on the third day, you'll arrive to find Romani all messed up. You take note that something must have happened during the preceding days. So once you have the Powder Keg, you go back to see them before the incident. And you're told what to do from there.

Or take Sakon the thief. If you fail to stop him from mugging the old lady on one cycle, you'll hear about what happened from her son, IIRC. You'll find out she was robbed in transit. Deduction shows it had to happen on the night of the first day. You look around town at nightfall, and come across the shady-looking man hiding in North Clock Town. Stand guard during the night and you'll catch him in the act.

The hand in the toilet is probably the most inexplicable, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a Gossip Stone and/or Bomber that tells you about it.

Draconian

I probably shouldn't have read Neiteio's post. Ah well, at least I know there's no way for me to get to the ranch earlier right now.

Cess007

These interactions
The old lady being mugged one night, the hand in the bathroom of the inn
I don't think I would ever just bump into on my own.

Funny that you mentioned the first one; i remember clearly bumping into that one on my own by accident on my first day on my first playthrough. I remember it as one of the easiest events to find.

muteki

Funny that you mentioned the first one; i remember clearly bumping into that one on my own by accident on my first day on my first playthrough. I remember it as one of the easiest events to find.

I think what you're doing "wrong" is not talking to people enough. You need to realize that most of the events happen or trigger expository hints when talking to people. And it changes depending on the time of day or location. The way you could notice the bomb shop lady is when you try to get up to that heart piece in the tree on the night of the first day and you notice the thief hiding in the corner a long time before the hit happens. The Bombers also give you hints. Other people give you nudges towards other quests, too. Talk to the Postman at various times to get info on what he's up to, etc. It's all about talking to people at various times. Don't just talk to them once and then never again. That's a big mistake. Talk to them with a mask on, talk to them after you've triggered another (bigger) event or something that might be related to them in some way (p-p-p-paaaaper). Use the schedule and the alarm system to figure out when they are where and what might have been a problem you could solve for them. It's all possible without a guide. This is a world to "live" in. That requires patience and willingness to commit to a degree.

There are rumours that the bomb kids give you. Every cycle they'll tell you something you haven't done. Eventually you'll find out about those time specific moments.

Thanks. Perhaps I am looking at the bomber's notebook as a guide and I shouldn't be. It appears to mostly be a record of things that happened in the "past" but offers little info about the "future". For example,
each consecutive day you complete the deku challenge it records it in the book, but it starts off as a single item, then adds to the chain each day you pass. Not until you do all 3 in a row will it show you the fourth event, getting the heart piece.
I also wasn't paying attention to the bomber kids after the first day. I thought I got what I needed from them and moved on, but looks like I need to keep talking to them.

Timeaisis

Is the Mask of Truth necessary for completing the game? I'm about to do the Spider House, but I wouldn't have prioritized it if I didn't realize it was essential to getting the Mask.

Neiteio

Thanks. Perhaps I am looking at the bomber's notebook as a guide and I shouldn't be. It appears to mostly be a record of things that happened in the "past" but offers little info about the "future". For example,
each consecutive day you complete the deku challenge it records it in the book, but it starts off as a single item, then adds to the chain each day you pass. Not until you do all 3 in a row will it show you the fourth event, getting the heart piece.
I also wasn't paying attention to the bomber kids after the first day. I thought I got what I needed from them and moved on, but looks like I need to keep talking to them.
Yeah, there will be times when the Bombers don't have new information, but after a while, one of them will scuttle up to you and offer you a tip when you talk to them.

KarmaCow

Is the Mask of Truth necessary for completing the game? I'm about to do the Spider House, but I wouldn't have prioritized it if I didn't realize it was essential to getting the Mask.

It's not, but helpful in terms of the hints you can get and for some heart pieces.

Neiteio

You'll need all of the masks if you want to ultimately get the Fierce Deity Mask, the best "ultimate weapon" in any Zelda ever.

Also, the Mask of Truth is great. It lets you talk to Gossip Stones, which tip you off to events. The mask also allows you to read the minds of small animals.

That mind-reading ability will assist you with getting a certain Piece of Heart...

Rich!

You cannot complete the game unless you get every mask before going to the final battle.

Sure, you can beat the final boss - but the game is not complete until you have
The Fierce Deity Mask
, which requires you to have all the masks to obtain.

Not getting all the masks? You are cheating yourself and you are missing out on literally half of the games content. The dungeons and main quest is only half the game in Majoras Mask.

Ants

Not to mention there is a huge amount of content gated behind the Mask of Truth.

You can finish that house in 12 in-game hours as soon as you get Woodfall's key item. It shouldn't be that stressful.

Gyroscope aiming made the octorock shooting gallery super easy. Did it in two tries. The honey and darling mini games weren't nearly as hard as I remember either. Those were always the hardest pieces of heart to get for me, so I should have no trouble getting them all this time around.

Fuck Snowhead. Just rage quit after the fourth time I fell all the way to the bottom of the dungeon while trying to do that bit where you have to roll around the wall. Surely I'm doing something wrong?

Here's a massive time-saving tip for Snowhead:

If you fall down in the central room, just transform into Deku Link and walk into a lava pit. You'll be teleported to the last door you walked through.

Neiteio

Snowhead tip: From the central pillar room, the RED DOOR leads to a four-way intersection. From there, turn RIGHT. Look at your map and look for the staircase leading from one room to the next. Follow these stairs to work your way back up to the top of the pillar room where you have the ramps to jump across with the Goron roll.

Also: Don't miss the elevator room. From the crossroads room I mentioned earlier, turn LEFT. This is the room with the long ramp and the ice sculptures blowing freezing winds on either side. Roll-jump across it and go straight through the door in front of you. You'll be in a square room with a bombchu running around. See that raised platform in the middle? Hop on it and shoot the frozen eye switch with the Fire Arrow. The platform becomes an elevator.

I overlooked this for the longest time. It's essential, however. Once you raise the pillar in the central room, you won't be able to progress unless you use the elevator.

Neiteio

Not only does collecting every mask get you the Fierce Deity Mask, but it increases the number of scenes you see in the ending. If you don't have all of the masks, there will be blacked-out scenes. So in other words, you need every mask to see the complete ending.

Timeaisis

You'll need all of the masks if you want to ultimately get the Fierce Deity Mask, the best "ultimate weapon" in any Zelda ever.

Also, the Mask of Truth is great. It lets you talk to Gossip Stones, which tip you off to events. The mask also allows you to read the minds of small animals.

That mind-reading ability will assist you with getting a certain Piece of Heart...

Heheheh I know exactly which piece of heart you are talking about. I tried doing that minigame with the lens of truth, but to no avail.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I was planning on getting all the masks. I just didn't even know about the Spider House, so I was wondering whether or not the Mask was necessary to complete the game, seeing as how the Spider House seemed like an "optional" sidequest. Obviously, I want to do all the optional sidequests. :p

oatmeal

Banned
Finished Woodfall but am going back to get the fairies before I move on and save the princess.

Three left...no idea where they are.

Bogeypop

Finished Woodfall but am going back to get the fairies before I move on and save the princess.

Three left...no idea where they are.

Here's a hint.

O1m6NtH.jpg

Molemitts

I just finished The Anju and Kafei sidequest. It's very satisfying, but kinda stressful since you don't always know the exact time to do certain things. I'll take on Stone Tower next.

About that postman.
He sure is dedicated to his work, but when he finally escapes he only has, like, 2 minutes left. I don't think he'll be anywhere safe in time, poor dude.

KarmaCow

Heheheh I know exactly which piece of heart you are talking about. I tried doing that minigame with the lens of truth, but to no avail.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I was planning on getting all the masks. I just didn't even know about the Spider House, so I was wondering whether or not the Mask was necessary to complete the game, seeing as how the Spider House seemed like an "optional" sidequest. Obviously, I want to do all the optional sidequests. :p

Anything required to complete the game is something that you will immediately need and will be in your face.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Finished up the Woodfall temple, including all the stray fairies, last night. Enjoying the game a lot more than when I played it back in college.

dolabla

So I finally got my limited edition copy today and the big box that it comes in is ripped on both sides. I'm pretty pissed.

Don't know what to do now since it's a limited edition and I can't just simply replace it at Amazon since there are none to replace it with.

TheMoon

When the HMS gives you the notebook he specifically says the bombers keep track of things around town and I think they tell you about that themselves upon your initiation, too. Paying attention to what people are telling you is key here.

Snowhead seemed a lot easier now than when I played on N64....!

The more you play a dungeon the more stuff gets embedded in your brain. Eventually you'll reach a point where you can memorize most if not all of the stray fairy locations as well... except for Stone Tower Temple Stray Fairies because fuck Stone Tower temple Stray Fairies.

Bogeypop

The more you play a dungeon the more stuff gets embedded in your brain. Eventually you'll reach a point where you can memorize most if not all of the stray fairy locations as well... except for Stone Tower Temple Stray Fairies because fuck Stone Tower temple Stray Fairies.

I think it's just the fact that you have to
go back in a third time
to get the ones you trigger while
upside down
that are frustrating.

Dat purple hair doe

He's Ravio's long-lost cousin.

rekameohs

Banned

Yeah, I'm interested to play Stone Tower again. I remember pretty much nothing about this game, dungeons especially, but I remember needing to spend multiple cycles on Stone Tower alone.

Hylian7

So is the only new side quest the one related to the Troupe Leader's Mask?

I also think it's interesting they changed the name of that mask from Circus Leader's Mask to Troupe Leader's Mask.

Top Bottom