• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3D |OT| Remakes are a Nice Thing to Have… Heh, heh

Started playing this today after managing to find a copy. I really enjoy it so far, it is majora's mask after all. :p

The bombers notebook popping up to tell me two things I already know after talking to every quest related character is killing me. I wish I could turn that off.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
So I got
the troupe leader mask, and like I thought, it kept the Gorman bros from attacking the cart. I figured I could find them after that someplace and get a reward, but things seemed the same as if I hadn't worn the mask. Closed track, can't find em.

Anyone wanna give me the TINIEST of hints here to point me towards the appropriate next step? Or maybe tell me that what I've already done is actually all there is?

Timeaisis

So Snowhead wasn't that bad. Took me a while to figure out how to actually get to the boss room after getting the key, but whatever. Also, fuck those fairies. Still don't know how to get a specific one...bah.

Anyway, had a pretty good play session today.
Mask of truth, snowhead, epona, gilded sword.
Good stuff.

Still don't know how to feed the hungry goron...hmm.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
So I got
the troupe leader mask, and like I thought, it kept the Gorman bros from attacking the cart. I figured I could find them after that someplace and get a reward, but things seemed the same as if I hadn't worn the mask. Closed track, can't find em.

Anyone wanna give me the TINIEST of hints here to point me towards the appropriate next step? Or maybe tell me that what I've already done is actually all there is?
That mask is useless and doesn't lead to any additional sidequests. It just makes the milk run easier.

Bogeypop

So I got

Nope, that's all it does with them, no reward. Though the new sidequest does
involve the Gorman Brothers
, but you have to do something else first.

Still don't know how to feed the hungry goron...hmm.

Those Gorons sure are cold. Maybe if you warm up their abode it could lead to something...

KarmaCow

So I got

You didn't miss anything, at least for that quest.

There is a new quest in the 3DS version
that involves all the brothers.

JTripper

Just got to the
great bay area
and I'm really glad I gave this game another shot. I remember hating this game when I played it on the gamecube because I hated timed games and I really didn't understand what to do.

Now I'm finding that this game has some of the most interesting and clever game design I've seen, especially in a Zelda game. It's such a different type of Zelda game and that's why I think I like it a bit more than OoT. OoT is great and all, but it has a pretty formulaic approach to an adventure game (at the time it was great, and it still works today, but I tend to like when games stray from the formula). Majora's Mask does just that.

In Zelda games I usually spend just enough time to complete a dungeon or advance the story a bit in a single sitting before putting it down for a bit, but I found myself playing this for about 3 hours today in one sitting and only completing one dungeon. The rest of the time I was exploring and seeing what side-quests I can complete or what secret puzzles there were to solve.

Stoze

Wow, I'm glad I tried out Chateau Romani before doing Great Bay stuff. I can't think of a more useful consumable item in a Zelda game, especially considering how early you can get it. Taking the 16 hour hit was well worth it imo.

Really enjoying the game so far, hard to believe the original was developed in such a short amount of time.

So I got to sit down with this game for the first time since it released. I know, it took me long enough...

Haven't played too far, and haven't gotten to Southern Swamp yet. But I'm not sure I like the Owl Statue changes involving saving the game. The main issue I have is that the game doesn't save at all after playing the Song of Time. I really can't understand why that change was made. Would it have really been too much to have the game save at both the owl statues and by playing the Song of Time? I know it's not too important because there's an owl statue just a few feet away. I'm just not sure why saving with the Song of Time had to be removed completely.

Rich!

Just got the last mask and I'm only missing 4 more heart pieces which should be lying around somewhere since my notebook seems complete.

The only mask I couldn't figure out myself was
the All-Night mask. I was sure I tried everything possible that had to do with the Curiosity Shop, but somehow I missed it and couldn't get it to turn up.

Time for the final battle I guess

Maybe you know this already, but the last four heart pieces are
on the moon.

//ARCANUM

I'm playing Majora's Mask for the first time and I am aware of the inverted song of time even though I am yet to "learn" about it in game. Do you think it's okay to go ahead and start using it? Am I hurting the experience / making it too easy on myself by using it before the game has given it to me?

I'm playing Majora's Mask for the first time and I am aware of the inverted song of time even though I am yet to "learn" about it in game. Do you think it's okay to go ahead and start using it? Am I hurting the experience / making it too easy on myself by using it before the game has given it to me?

It's probably fine. I think the inverted song of time has even been toned down compared to the original, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

As soon as you get the ocarina, using the inverted song of time is ok. If you want the game to tell you, go talking to a scarecrow or show him the ocarina, I don't remember.

Use it whenever you like, immediately if you want. You "learn" about it from the Scarecrow in the Observatory, which is immediately accessible to you at that point anyway. The game's perfectly willing to teach it to you as soon as you get the Ocarina, so it's fair game.

All finished. Awesome game. Best Zelda.

The one thing I wish they had added/changed was
a way to save the Deku Butler's Son. It never made sense to me why ending Majora's curse prevented some stuff from happening while leaving others the same. I mean Mikau came back to life, and I'm guessing Darmani did too (but they never show any of the Gorons in the credits), so why not the kid?

It's just such a jarring scene, you have all these happy scenes, a wedding, the dude and his grandma, Gorman hanging out at the bar, etc, but then you have this scene with the Butler weeping. And then a scene of Link looking into the forest and an etching of Link, Skullkid and the giants.

grandjedi6

All finished. Awesome game. Best Zelda.

The one thing I wish they had added/changed was
a way to save the Deku Butler's Son. It never made sense to me why ending Majora's curse prevented some stuff from happening while leaving others the same. I mean Mikau came back to life, and I'm guessing Darmani did too (but they never show any of the Gorons in the credits), so why not the kid?

It's just such a jarring scene, you have all these happy scenes, a wedding, the dude and his grandma, Gorman hanging out at the bar, etc, but then you have this scene with the Butler weeping. And then a scene of Link looking into the forest and an etching of Link, Skullkid and the giants.
Mikau doesn't come back to life. That's Link posing as Mikau in the end, to fulfill Mikau's last remaining obligation (the Carnival of Time concert). No one who dies in Majora's Mask comes back to life. The dead stay dead.

The Butler scene is there to verify that the Deku was indeed his son.

Mikau doesn't come back to life. That's Link posing as Mikau in the end, to fulfill Mikau's last remaining obligation (the Carnival of Time concert). No one who dies in Majora's Mask comes back to life. The dead stay dead.

The Butler scene is there to verify that the Deku was indeed his son.
That's supposed to be Link? Then that whole goodbye with Tatl was kind of pointless then.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Honestly, the grumbling about the new saving system was so overblown. I've hardly even needed to save since it's so easy to just close the system when I need to take a break.

grandjedi6

That's supposed to be Link? Then that whole goodbye with Tatl was kind of pointless then.
it's Link. Note that he's wearing Link's tunic thing during the concert, meaning it's Zora Link and not the original. Also "Mikau" is missing from all the subsequent Milk Bar scenes: because Link left by then.

Tatl's goodbye of "well we all have a carnival to attend so you can leave now" was just her being her usual tsundere jerk self. In reality, Link spent enough time with them for Skull Kid to draw that friendship picture you see at the end.

And the ending is supposed to be bittersweet: everyone ends up happy EXCEPT for Link and those related to his mask spirits (i.e. the Butler, Lulu, etc.)

Jinjo

You're supposed to figure it mostly through hints the game gives you. Nobody actually "learns" you the song like any other of the songs. Atleast, that's how I figured it out back in the N64 days too.

Love playing the game again. It looks so good. Can't wait to get lost more in the world. Now to get that New 3DS though.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Just beat the Great Bay Temple...I'm getting pretty sad that I will likely finish the game in a couple days, even though I will replay it again next year for sure.

zychi

Banned
100%

Forgot how fucking terrible the deku playground is. Fuck that shit.

Probably gonna be in my top 5 goty even tho its a remaster. 3 sittings, ~24 hours total game time.

Give me Zelda WiiU Nintendo!

KooopaKid

Banned
This remake is really good. About to start the second dungeon.
Why does it feel so good to be back at the dawn of the first day every time?
Another 90+ game under Nintendo's belt.

What did they do to the Garo mask? Why does it look so awful now?

It looks ridiculous when the brothers wear it and it looks even sillier on Link. Why change it from the really cool brown hood with glowing eyes to some kind of Chozo artifact?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
What did they do to the Garo mask? Why does it look so awful now?

It looks ridiculous when the brothers wear it and it looks even sillier on Link. Why change it from the really cool brown hood with glowing eyes to some kind of Chozo artifact?
Because it is now based off of the design for the Garo Master which makes sense seeing as the soldiers mistake you as the master when they first spring up.

Because it is now based off of the design for the Garo Master which makes sense seeing as the soldiers mistake you as the master when they first spring up.

I know that, but it's so ugly. It took one of my favorite masks to just wear around and be cool and made it into a joke...

Guru-Guru

Banned
100%

Forgot how fucking terrible the deku playground is. Fuck that shit.

Probably gonna be in my top 5 goty even tho its a remaster. 3 sittings, ~24 hours total game time.

Give me Zelda WiiU Nintendo!
Deku playground could honestly be the reason I won't be able to 100% MM. I keep screwing up on day 2, I can't imagine how bad I will fuck up on day 3...

Nia

I'm about to enter the Snowhead Temple. Been having fun doing choice sidequests before the temples. As a person who loves cataloging, the way they fleshed out the Bomber's Notebook appeals greatly to me.

aravuus

Deku playground could honestly be the reason I won't be able to 100% MM. I keep screwing up on day 2, I can't imagine how bad I will fuck up on day 3...

I was saying earlier how frustrating the playground was, and a couple of people just went "that's a weird way to write easy", so I'm kinda glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks it's horrible lol

Fuck the playground, I'll survive missing a heart piece

it's Link. Note that he's wearing Link's tunic thing during the concert, meaning it's Zora Link and not the original. Also "Mikau" is missing from all the subsequent Milk Bar scenes: because Link left by then.

Tatl's goodbye of "well we all have a carnival to attend so you can leave now" was just her being her usual tsundere jerk self. In reality, Link spent enough time with them for Skull Kid to draw that friendship picture you see at the end.

And the ending is supposed to be bittersweet: everyone ends up happy EXCEPT for Link and those related to his mask spirits (i.e. the Butler, Lulu, etc.)

Eh, I'm starting to think they just forgot to remove Zora Link's model. That all seems a little too elaborate of an explanation based off a few scenes. None of the Zora band show up in any of the scenes after their concert, so it's not just the Mikau impersonator.

Ultimately I do believe you that the Deku Butler's Son, Darmani and Mikau are all still dead. Just not that Link went back to the carnival. The tone of the goodbye, Happy Mask Salesman's words and even the Mask Children says it all. I'm glad you brought up that not everyone will be happy, because it does reinforce the words the Mask children tell you on the moon.

Yazan

Ok. This is the best Zelda ever created, and probably top 5 of everything I have played. I never had the chance to complete majora's mask (played the gamecube collection half way and got stuck), but this game. Wow.

Probably played over 35 hours and I am not yet done (just reached the stone tower temple). Far longer than I expected and with so many great moments.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Beautiful scene to cap off a beautiful sidequest. I only remembered this line, (You know the one.) but the ones before are beautifully written too:

"I... I have met you before. What a familiar scent. Long, long ago... Yes. We were still young. We made a promise... didn't we? The mask of the sun and the moon...We were to exchange them at the Carnival of Time..."

"Anju, I'm sorry I was late."

"...Welcome home."

lt519

Finally started my playthough, first time using the n3DS as well. Damn that improved 3D is a godsend. Forgot how much I loved this game.

Neiteio

Played all night. Now I'm about to tackle Stone Tower Temple. I just have one Heart Piece left to get in Termina; the other four are on the Moon. Along with the final Heart Container from Stone Tower Temple, I'll have all 20 hearts.

Great Bay Temple is fantastic. Seriously my favorite water-themed temple in the Zelda series. I don't find it tedious at all. It's actually rather linear in progression. Once the water starts flowing in the opposite direction, it's still easy to get back to previous rooms, since there are two paths flowing into the boss key room, and you can access previous rooms from there. Very useful for getting back to the frog with Don Gero's Mask on the same cycle I beat the dungeon. I also love the general aesthetic (glowing pipes!), and the use of the elemental arrows to freeze and thaw out the water spouts, and to create stepping stones out of water (and enemies).

The new and improved Gyorg is infinitely more memorable than he was in the original. However, his second phase seems a bit RNG-dependent. Sometimes it takes him a while to start inhaling. It seems that in order to increase the chances of him inhaling (and you then doing what needs to be done), you have to position yourself near certain objects, and if he sends out his minions, quickly step in front of the object to shield it against the minions. Then you need to roll back behind the object and be ready for when he inhales.

All in all, it's an amazing battle, though. But I think Goht is still my favorite. Looking forward to Twinmold!

Bogeypop

Beautiful scene to cap off a beautiful sidequest. I only remembered this line, (You know the one.) but the ones before are beautifully written too:

"I... I have met you before. What a familiar scent. Long, long ago... Yes. We were still young. We made a promise... didn't we? The mask of the sun and the moon...We were to exchange them at the Carnival of Time..."

"Anju, I'm sorry I was late."

"...Welcome home."

"Even though they're
lovers, they look just like a mother and child
"

I love how I set a goal "today I will collect all the Zora eggs" when I start playing.

And then I spend 2 hours doing nothing but side quests...

Maybe I'll collect all the Zora Eggs tonight, but I'll probably just keep doing side quests until not collecting those eggs actually gets in the way of side quests lol

Hylian7

The following is spoilers for a certain sidequest:

>Do Anju & Kafei sidequest
>Forgot about Postman's Hat and deliver letter directly to Madam Aroma
>Fail minigame to recover Sun's Mask
>Reset time to do it again
>Forget about Postman's Hat again

GOD DAMMIT

Top Bottom