• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3D |OT| Remakes are a Nice Thing to Have… Heh, heh

Neiteio

I was saying earlier how frustrating the playground was, and a couple of people just went "that's a weird way to write easy", so I'm kinda glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks it's horrible lol

Fuck the playground, I'll survive missing a heart piece
It's challenging, but it's quite doable. I knocked it out in the second cycle, since it was right there in town.

You can hold R to angle the camera overhead and see where you'll land. Also, the platforms follow the same path, moving along the same tiles. So for example, in one round there are two platforms traveling in a rectangular path. You leap to one, then turn around and wait for the second platform to turn the corner. You then launch into the air, aim the camera down and follow the tiles as the second platform comes toward you.

For the platforms that rise and fall in place, just make sure you launch from a flower when your own platform is as high as it can be. This will ensure you're able to fly over those rising platforms and drop on top of them.

Ace 8095

I was saying earlier how frustrating the playground was, and a couple of people just went "that's a weird way to write easy", so I'm kinda glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks it's horrible lol

I'll second holding down R when your in the air. I though it was impossible until I leaned that. I bet all three days in 10 minutes after that.

Just finished the game. Great ending all around. Probably shouldn't have used
Fierce Deity Link
on my first fight with the boss, but I feel like I kind of deserved it. Incredible game.

Neiteio

Just finished the game. Great ending all around. Probably shouldn't have used
Fierce Deity Link
on my first fight with the boss, but I feel like I kind of deserved it. Incredible game.
No need to spoiler-tag the existence of Fierce Deity Link. :)

I plan to use him upon reaching the final battle, as well. I do a lot of circle-strafing and dodging just to be dramatic, so it'll still be a lengthy battle!

And of course, you can always challenge the final boss to a remake, and this time use Young Link for more of a challenge.

Speaking of rematches, I wonder how Fierce Deity Link works in Gyorg's battle. In the N64 version, you could use the FD Mask in any of the boss chambers. I imagine that still holds true here, but how does FD Link work during the underwater section. Does he walk underwater?

Kamina

Golden Boy

I plan to use him upon reaching the final battle, as well. I do a lot of circle-strafing and dodging just to be dramatic, so it'll still be a lengthy battle!

And of course, you can always challenge the final boss to a remake, and this time use Young Link for more of a challenge.

Speaking of rematches, I wonder how Fierce Deity Link works in Gyorg's battle. In the N64 version, you could use the FD Mask in any of the boss chambers. I imagine that still holds true here, but how does FD Link work during the underwater section. Does he walk underwater?
FD Link swims on the water surface. He can only dive like normal Link.

TheMoon

Does anyone know if Amazon is going to get the guide book back in stock or was it a limited pressing?

I'd check at non-amazon stores.

I'm surprised people have thought of it this way, it seemed completely obvious it was intentional; it exemplified the feeling of being trapped.

I find its a little too meta for Zelda. Adding in the viewers perspective through the use of technology is just a bit too odd. If people started moving faster or showed a real sense of panic or the environment started to become red or covered in shadow then I think it would feel more dooming. Otherwise it's just too strange...

The confusion about this is bizarre to me. I find it clearly intentionally representing the time that's slipping away. It emphasizes that a new day is about to begin and that things are getting more grim.

I'll have to go back to the Moon anyway because I missed the
Heart Piece in the Gyorg Mask kid section
, so I'll try a fair fight then.

TheMoon

I'm playing Majora's Mask for the first time and I am aware of the inverted song of time even though I am yet to "learn" about it in game. Do you think it's okay to go ahead and start using it? Am I hurting the experience / making it too easy on myself by using it before the game has given it to me?

The game will never "give" it to you. You have to initiate it. There will be no scheduled event that forces that song onto you. You either pay attention to what the Bombers are saying to you and move your butt and go talk to the Scarecrow or you keep ignoring them. It's entirely up to you.

Chuckie

I just rage-quit because of that hahaha. I cannot even land on the first moving tile.

JonnyKong

Hello, quick question.

Tonight will be the first time carrying on since I beat Snowhead so obviously I'll be heading towards the ocean/3rd temple area.

Is it vitally important for the game to be spring again or can I just leave it snowy?

I'm about to enter the Snowhead Temple. Been having fun doing choice sidequests before the temples. As a person who loves cataloging, the way they fleshed out the Bomber's Notebook appeals greatly to me.
I'm in the exact same spot and feel the exact same way about the new bombers note book. Not intrusive at all like some reviews said.

Morts

Hello, quick question.

Tonight will be the first time carrying on since I beat Snowhead so obviously I'll be heading towards the ocean/3rd temple area.

Is it vitally important for the game to be spring again or can I just leave it snowy?

Not important, but there are some sidequests you can do in Spring in the Snowhead area before going towards the ocean if you want.

Played all night. Now I'm about to tackle Stone Tower Temple. I just have one Heart Piece left to get in Termina; the other four are on the Moon. Along with the final Heart Container from Stone Tower Temple, I'll have all 20 hearts.

Great Bay Temple is fantastic. Seriously my favorite water-themed temple in the Zelda series. I don't find it tedious at all. It's actually rather linear in progression. Once the water starts flowing in the opposite direction, it's still easy to get back to previous rooms, since there are two paths flowing into the boss key room, and you can access previous rooms from there. Very useful for getting back to the frog with Don Gero's Mask on the same cycle I beat the dungeon. I also love the general aesthetic (glowing pipes!), and the use of the elemental arrows to freeze and thaw out the water spouts, and to create stepping stones out of water (and enemies).

The new and improved Gyorg is infinitely more memorable than he was in the original. However, his second phase seems a bit RNG-dependent. Sometimes it takes him a while to start inhaling. It seems that in order to increase the chances of him inhaling (and you then doing what needs to be done), you have to position yourself near certain objects, and if he sends out his minions, quickly step in front of the object to shield it against the minions. Then you need to roll back behind the object and be ready for when he inhales.

All in all, it's an amazing battle, though. But I think Goht is still my favorite. Looking forward to Twinmold!

It's the next objective in line for me to tackle when I get back to the game (MH4 consumes all time) but I see you also noticed that it's in fact a very linear dungeon.
I noticed this when I last replayed it and never got why people feared this one as another confusing water temple when it's in fact very straight forward, I think it ended up being my favourite of the main 4 so we'll see if it keeps that spot or if Stone Tower can win it back.
Though deep down my heart belongs to Ikana Castle.

Actually I've got to ask, was there always two paths into the pre boss room? I recall my friend rage quitting the boss and resetting the cycle. So then we had to go back through have to go through the whole temple again just to get the water flow back to the boss room, a weak point regarding its structure I figured.

Also why have I only just discovered that when not targeting Link can poke his sword out from behind his shield?

TheMoon

I just rage-quit because of that hahaha. I cannot even land on the first moving tile.

press R while flying. /done

this will be you after you press R:

amazing.gif

Tookay

Hello, quick question.

If you want the best regular sword in the game, you're going to want to make it spring again and make sure you have a full cycle to work with.

Majora's is one of my top 10 games of all time, but I have not even opened my copy, I don't know if I should wait for the right time or just start it tonight.

Freaking Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate is amazing and sucking all my time.
Ok. This is the best Zelda ever created, and probably top 5 of everything I have played. I never had the chance to complete majora's mask (played the gamecube collection half way and got stuck), but this game. Wow.

Probably played over 35 hours and I am not yet done (just reached the stone tower temple). Far longer than I expected and with so many great moments.

I'm really happy to see this kind of reactions.

Tookay

Thanks guys.

When you say the best sword, do you mean the gilded one which I'll get for 100 rupees and gold dust?
Yep. You need one day for them to forge it into a razor sword and another day for them to forge it into the gilded one. So that usually necessitates you going back in time and killing off Goht again.

Ambitious

Didn't actually plan on buying it, but I noticed it in a store today and I had a gift card with me. Oh well. Looking forward to playing it again, it's been quite a few years since my last playthrough.

aravuus

It's challenging, but it's quite doable. I knocked it out in the second cycle, since it was right there in town.

You can hold R to angle the camera overhead and see where you'll land. Also, the platforms follow the same path, moving along the same tiles. So for example, in one round there are two platforms traveling in a rectangular path. You leap to one, then turn around and wait for the second platform to turn the corner. You then launch into the air, aim the camera down and follow the tiles as the second platform comes toward you.

For the platforms that rise and fall in place, just make sure you launch from a flower when your own platform is as high as it can be. This will ensure you're able to fly over those rising platforms and drop on top of them.

I'll second holding down R when your in the air. I though it was impossible until I leaned that. I bet all three days in 10 minutes after that.

I appreciate the helpful posts, I really do, but I'm not going for 100% so skipping the playground is not a big deal for me. This is my first ever MM playthrough anyway, I don't want it to feel like I'm just ticking boxes in a massive list titled "100% completion". I want to be immersed in the world, I want it to feel.. I dunno, organic?

I did use a guide to get a couple of pieces of heart though, haha

Mr-Joker

Banned
Does anyone think that it's possible for them to patch in the original swimming control? My little brother isn't a fan of it and I don't look forward to using the new control.

TheMoon

Does anyone think that it's possible for them to patch in the original swimming control? My little brother isn't a fan of it and I don't look forward to using the new control.

They could patch anything into anything. Of course it's possible. But it's ultra unlikely.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking

Possible. Not going to happen. Did you invert the controls?

zychi

Banned
Deku playground could honestly be the reason I won't be able to 100% MM. I keep screwing up on day 2, I can't imagine how bad I will fuck up on day 3...
there's a pattern to it. if you hold R it lets you look at a birds eye view of where you're landing. i had no idea about this until last night.

I jumped onto one of the outside ones that circle all the way around
they jump onto the stationary platform
then one of the two inside ones that circle in small patterns
then i jump straight up and wait for the second small pattern one.
then jump to the stationary one on the other side
then wait for the final outside platform

it really easy when you recognize how you're supposed to do it. it was the very last mini game i did before going to the moon.

Yep. You need one day for them to forge it into a razor sword and another day for them to forge it into the gilded one. So that usually necessitates you going back in time and killing off Goht again.

You actually don't need the sword at all for the snowhead dungeon anyway. At that point, Goron punching does so much more damage than the basic sword it's almost silly. Have them start forging the first upgrade for you at the beginning of a loop.

Then, if you can beat snowhead in less than two game days (it took me less than 1 to beat it), you can collect your sword, book it to the goron race for the gold dust, and get it upgraded by the 3rd day.

Then again, this presumes you know where to go for the keg and goron race sidequests, and can do so quickly enough.

FrsDvl

so im taking my time, im in a dungeon and i'm almost out of time.

If i play the song of time, will i lose all my dungeon progress? or will all the doors that i've unlocked still be open?

Kinsei

Banned

If i play the song of time, will i lose all my dungeon progress? or will all the doors that i've unlocked still be open?

Did you find the dungeon item? If not you need to restarts.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Oh. Wasn't even aware there was a Wii mode on this thing. Thanks.

Yeah, I realize it's not the new polished version, but still good enough, no?

If it's the only way you can play it, sure. It's still a kickass game and one of the better looking N64 games as well.

emb

Yeah, I realize it's not the new polished version, but still good enough, no?
Yes!

There's not really a bad version of this game. I've heard the one on the GCN collector's disc would freeze sometimes, but I never ran into the issue. Just play this however you can. :)

Mr-Joker

Banned
Possible. Not going to happen. Did you invert the controls?

I haven't gotten the mask yet but yes I have invert the control.

The dungeon will be reset but if you have the dungeon item you can skip most of it, unless you're after the stray fairies.

JonnyKong

I know I'm just being crazy, but the music in Snowhead temple really reminds me of the music from Halloween. It's the "do do do" sound. I can just easily picture Michael Myers stalking the streets whilst it plays.

I'll be quiet.

emb

Good! then i'm not too worried. I only have 2 hours left, doubt that's enough i only just got my bow
Yeah, you'll want to go back then. The dungeons go by really quick once you already have the owl warp to the entrance, and the dungeon item. You'll have plenty of time three days ago to knock it out, and find all the fairies at a leisurely pace.

As a general rule, anything that's on you but not consumable will stay.

Neiteio

On mobile. The new Bomber's Notebook is seriously one of the best improvements to this game. I want it to be 100% filled out. I even did the Zora jar-breaking minigame, which just nets you rupees, merely because it's logged in the notebook.

A quick count shows 60 quest entries where I'm at right now (17 3/4 hearts, 22/24 masks), with 112 sub-entries (quests within a quest). I know the Secret Shrine, the Great Fairy of Kindness, and the FD mask will be another three entries, and likely seven sub-entries when you include the four moon dungeons. And in the characters section, roughly 30 NPCS are listed as having specific schedules. Of course, there are even more non-quest NPCS that have schedules (e.g. the twin jugglers practicing in different places during the day, playing cards at night, etc).

This is pokedex levels of addiction. And the writing achieves that perfect balance of brevity and wit, with not a word wasted, so I'm looking forward to reading the entire notebook once completed. Also eager to catch all the fish since they get their names, 3D models and more logged on the fishing charts at each location.

Even then, I won't be done. I'll still want to revisit bosses like Goht and Gyorg (with and without the FD Mask); race the butler at the shrine again, or the gorons at their racetrack, or the beavers at the falls; defend Romani Ranch, fend off milk bandits, march with cuccos and do the doggy races; play Koume's target game, and replay the shooting galleries, Honey & Darling, the deku playground, the jumping minigame; take the Keaton quizzes to see the other questions (there are dozens); re-infiltrate the Deku Palace, Pirate Fortress and Ikana Castle, just for fun; replay Keeta, the Iron Knuckles, the Poe Sisters, the Secret Shrine; maybe clear out the two spider houses again, or even the dungeons (refraining from using dungeon item until you find it); and of course, quests like Anju and Kafei, moments like the Rosa Sisters, etc.

It's the most replayable Zelda, by far. Every quest you complete, every dungeon you beat, can be done again, for fun, all within the same file. Yet another reason the time system is smazing. :D

Rich!

Is there a reason the C-stick turns off whenever I put the 3ds in sleep mode?

Because the N3DS is emulating a Circle Pad Pro....and the CPP turns off when you put the console into standby to save battery life.

Majoras Mask does not detect that its running on a N3DS in any way whatsoever.

Top Bottom