• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3D |OT| Remakes are a Nice Thing to Have… Heh, heh

seady

I feel like I want to get as much done within the time I have, and if I reset time I have no idea what progress will or won't be saved in an area and don't want to repeat anything. Just going through all the steps of starting a new sequence makes me want to avoid doing that as much as possible.

Same here. So far I understand the mainline game will be saved (because the mask or song etc will be kept). But for side quest, I still don't know what progress will be saved if I play the Song of Time.

ZeroX03

Banned
The only type of progress in an area that the game will save is if you found an owl statue in a new area. If you did, you can warp straight to it with the Song of Soaring even if you reset. What steps of starting a new sequence are you talking about? All you should really worry about is banking your rupees.

The game doesn't really have a time limit in the strictest sense. Remember that you are in control of time. You're deciding when it resets. The only thing the game does is put a limit on how long your cycle will last and make you reset at some point, but you really shouldn't become worried about facing a hard limit.

EDIT: Of course, major items you get also will be kept across cycles, but I'm assuming you've figured that out.

You have all the time in the world. And you hardly have to repeat anything. The key items and warp points allow you to skip everything leading up to those items and warp points.

Whenever you find a key item, you keep it. When you reach a dungeon, you activate an owl statue, and you keep it. You can warp back to those owl statues at anytime. They're at the entrance to each region and at the start of each dungeon. So you're just trying to reach a warp point. Then do whatever you want. Or you can simply dedicate an entire cycle to doing whatever you want. Maybe you just want to learn the world, explore the area, see what's up. You can dedicate a cycle to that.

And when you want to advance the story, just start a new cycle, slow down time, warp to the dungeon entrance, and you have three real-life hours to complete it. And if that's still not enough, and you only get halfway through, the dungeon item will allow you to skip half of that dungeon on the next cycle. And the stray fairies you found will still be marked on your map.

The advantage of the time cycle is that the NPCs all have schedules. Different characters do different things, in different ways, at different places, and at different times of each day and each night. And you can cause those events to branch out in different directions, depending on whether you intervene or not.

This wouldn't be possible without a repeating time cycle. It's totally worth it, and makes Majora's Mask the most dynamic and interesting Zelda.

Yeah I'd figured most of this stuff out. I'm just not getting the dynamic and interesting feel out of it. I know I have as much time as I want overall, but I really don't like the process of starting a new cycle and find it a chore more than anything. I haven't delved too deeply into the NPCs yet so I guess their schedules haven't particularly impacted me yet.

I really like that the game wants to carve it's own visual identity and atmosphere and isn't trying to be OoT redux but the time management is just putting a whole damper on the experience. Kind of reminds me of stamina in Persona 3, eventually you've got to go back and it's really annoying.

Same here. So far I understand the mainline game will be saved (because the mask or song etc will be kept). But for side quest, I still don't know what progress will be saved if I play the Song of Time.
Basically, none of the side quest items/bottle items get retained if you go back in time. Rewards in the form of e.g. a mask or Piece of Heart and the Bomber's Notebook update are permanent.

Neiteio

Yeah I'd figured most of this stuff out. I'm just not getting the dynamic and interesting feel out of it. I know I have as much time as I want overall, but I really don't like the process of starting a new cycle and find it a chore more than anything. I haven't delved too deeply into the NPCs yet so I guess their schedules haven't particularly impacted me yet.

I really like that the game wants to carve it's own visual identity and atmosphere and isn't trying to be OoT redux but the time management is just putting a whole damper on the experience. Kind of reminds me of stamina in Persona 3, eventually you've got to go back and it's really annoying.
You just punch in like six notes to reset time. Then another six notes to slow it down. Then you warp to the checkpoint closest to wherever you left off. You do this once every three real-life hours. It's not much of a burden, imo, and the benefits make it totally worth it. :)

When you play the Song of Time, everyone reverts back to their Day 1 progress in life. Anju goes back to being depressed, the boulder returns to Milk Road, Sakon robs the old woman again on the night of the first day, literally everything resets. The only thing that you keep are your masks, items (not consumables like arrows/sticks/nuts/bombs), and learned songs.

If you complete a quest that rewards a piece of heart, you keep the piece of heart, but that quest will become repeatable. The reward is usually nothing, or rupees, when done again.

Neiteio

My fishing adventure continues... I cast my line at the fishing hole operator, and yanked off his wig:

dxj7j.jpg

vykao.jpg

So now I'm broke. But I did manage to catch this fellow using the Mask of Scents. Took me all night to get him to bite, though:

kgk4t.jpg

Currently trying to get the Cuccofish, which requires the use of the Bremen Mask, and the Sweet Ranchfish, which is drawn to Epona's song and apparently shows up in the waterfall alcove, although I haven't seen it yet...

ZeroX03

Banned
You just punch in like six notes to reset time. Then another six notes to slow it down. Then you warp to the checkpoint closest to wherever you left off. You do this once every three real-life hours. It's not much of a burden, imo, and the benefits make it totally worth it. :)

And I have to manage rupees and I have to go and buy/collect more arrows or bombs or whatever. It's just an annoyance that's always hanging over the game, sort of like that very intimidating moon.

Partition

Banned
If the time really bothers you that much, just play the inverted Song Of Time each cycle. That's 3 hours of real-time before you need to reset. I don't understand how it could possibly be that much of an inconvenience, imo.

And I have to manage rupees and I have to go and buy/collect more arrows or bombs or whatever. It's just an annoyance that's always hanging over the game, sort of like that very intimidating moon.

Patches of grass right outside Termina will drop all that stuff.

Also, in the northern area of Termina is a bunch of Dodongos that drop 50 rupees per Dodongo or a bird south of Termina that drops 200 rupees. If you're really concerned with money, they hand that stuff out like candy in this game.

Also love the Bomber's notebook and talking to the bombers to get hint on quests to start. Forgot just how lively this world was.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
My fishing adventure continues... I cast my line at the fishing hole operator, and yanked off his wig:

dxj7j.jpg

vykao.jpg

So now I'm broke. But I did manage to catch this fellow using the Mask of Scents. Took me all night to get him to bite, though:

kgk4t.jpg

Currently trying to get the Cuccofish, which requires the use of the Bremen Mask, and the Sweet Ranchfish, which is drawn to Epona's song and apparently shows up in the waterfall alcove, although I haven't seen it yet...

WTF haha I had no idea you could do that. That's hilarious.

I don't understand what you aren't getting here. Bombs/Arrows/Whatever can be recollected by hitting a single patch of grass most of the time, and what are you trying to do that you're feeling pressured by 3 whole real life hours? Anything you can progress in that amount of time will always have a checkpoint of sorts.

Stoze

I finished it. I'm hesitant right now to say it's my favorite Zelda considering how many others I've played and replayed...but man, that's my intial impression. Seriously, I absolutely loved it, fantasic game.

I've still got a few more things to do, but I did collect all the masks, stray faeries, and have something like 16 and a half hearts. I got stuck and almost reached out for help on here or with a guide when it came to the Kafei/Anju quest, but finally managed to get it. The stuff I did in trying to figure out "that" part was pretty ridiculous. I also have a funny story about the inn ghost quest too.

Regarding the ending;
Despite seeing it in a video a while back beforehand, I still got major chills when you go up into the Moon and see the grassy field and tree. That whole part was genius.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I only just now realised that the reason Link falls down when you play the Song of Time is because time reversed here you are falling down the pit again.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

Rupees are handed out like candy - there's a chest in east clock town with 200 rupees that resets every cycle. the dodongos in the north give 50 rupees. And there's a bird in the south you can farm for 200 rupees per kill, too.

Also, you can bank rupees in beteween cycles and just withdraw them if you need them.

ZeroX03

Banned
I don't understand what you aren't getting here. Bombs/Arrows/Whatever can be recollected by hitting a single patch of grass most of the time, and what are you trying to do that you're feeling pressured by 3 whole real life hours? Anything you can progress in that amount of time will always have a checkpoint of sorts.

Rupees are handed out like candy - there's a chest in east clock town with 200 rupees that resets every cycle. the dodongos in the north give 50 rupees. And there's a bird in the south you can farm for 200 rupees per kill, too.

Also, you can bank rupees in beteween cycles and just withdraw them if you need them.

I know I can bank rupees and collect bombs and arrows outside, but why should I? It's a waste of time that seemingly adds nothing but an annoyance whenever I reset time. Again people complain about Fi but I find this way more annoying. Or if I start doing something, I'm not sure how long it will take. So I turn back time beforehand because it's better to be safe and not guess how long something will take. And I go through more annoying pointless busy work. Again I haven't really delved into NPCs or sidequest stuff but so far this isn't clicking for me.

Kain

The Bay temple side quest sure is long, I didn't remember how much till I started. I'm halfway the second day and I have only four eggs... once I learn the song I can return to day one safely, right? I don't want to run around Zora hall on the last day xD

giapel

Again I haven't really delved into NPCs or sidequest stuff but so far this isn't clicking for me.

That's your issue right there. If you're not doing the side quests then the whole 3 day mechanic and time progression doesn't make sense and it is indeed more of an annoyance. If you factor on the NPCs though then everything starts clicking and it makes more sense.

The Bay temple side quest sure is long, I didn't remember how much till I started. I'm halfway the second day and I have only four eggs... once I learn the song I can return to day one safely, right? I don't want to run around Zora hall on the last day xD

Right, once you get the song, you can start the dungeon whenever you want.

Christopher

Usually when you finish a temple you see things revert to normalcy which is such a nice touch I love it esp the first two temples but what on earth changes from the fourth?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I know I can bank rupees and collect bombs and arrows outside, but why should I? It's a waste of time that seemingly adds nothing but an annoyance whenever I reset time. Again people complain about Fi but I find this way more annoying. Or if I start doing something, I'm not sure how long it will take. So I turn back time beforehand because it's better to be safe and not guess how long something will take. And I go through more annoying pointless busy work. Again I haven't really delved into NPCs or sidequest stuff but so far this isn't clicking for me.

Maybe it's not the right game for you then. Managing your schedule, rupees, and inventory, while not time consuming, is a vital part of the game. Doing prep work, like following one npc around for a cycle to see what they do, or juggling side quest at the risk of not being able to finish them are huge portions of what makes the game challenging and satisfying. If you can't be bothered with those things, this is going to be a frustrating experience for you, and it's best you stop before you go too much further.

Game is as anti Fi handholding as it can get, btw.

An alternative way to do it would be like the original Witcher where there are NPCs and sidequests that are time-specific but time is continuous and you can meditate/sleep until the next day. Or how Lego games do it where you can swap between day and night.

Christopher

Probably not the game for you. I beat this when I was 12..? It's not too difficult to grasp the concept

Sadist

You could do something similar in OoT, which is what led me to try it here :)
2.jpg

Not entirely similar, but it made me think of this little nugget.

I'm in the great bay now...

Man, it's weird how you can forget stuff. I only played the yanky Cube version up till the third dungeon, but I totally forgot about the pirate fortress. Cool stuff though. Zora mask is amazing.

Kain

Right, once you get the song, you can start the dungeon whenever you want.

Thanks. I think I'll leave the dungeon for tomorrow, just yesterday did the mountain and I don't feel like a water dungeon now...

In fact I think I'll go through the dungeon with a walkthrough in hand, I remember it being frustrating to no end with all the water channels, and levels and stuff.

Thanks. I think I'll leave the dungeon for tomorrow, just yesterday did the mountain and I don't feel like a water dungeon now...

In fact I think I'll go through the dungeon with a walkthrough in hand, I remember it being frustrating to no end with all the water channels, and levels and stuff.
It's really not that bad. All you have to do is follow the pipes.

Robin64

I really need to learn to save more. Just lost several hours of progress thanks to a completely random "An error has occured. Hold down the POWER Button to turn off the power, then turn it on and try again" crash. :(

Stoze

I think what's throwing some people off is that it feels like they aren't progressing, and they may in turn be making the game more repititive for themselves. The game is designed with a kind of an invisible checkpoint system that saves progress regardless if you're restarting time or going forward. Getting a new song, mask, owl statue, key item in a dungeon, beating dungeons or even sidequests in this game acts as a permanent checkpoint. You can essentially start directly or very near where you left off from that checkpoint after starting a new cycle. The thing that makes this manageable is that the checkpoints aren't far apart from each other, so much so that you never really get cut off from what you are trying to acomplish. Therefore you should never worry about using Song of Time to restart early just to be "safe". You're adding repetition where there shouldn't be.

So you get key items about halfway through each dungeon. In one of these you may get fire-arrows that can melt down frozen doors. If the cycle ends after you get the arrows but before you beat the dungeon, you can just Song of Soaring (an early checkpoint) back to the Owl (checkpoint that you got from navigating to the dungeon), and then use the fire arrows (newest checkpoint) to jetison yourself quickly to where you were by melting doors, since every dungeon is designed around using the item there as a shortcut.

You can also avoid adding repetition by planning ahead. If you unlock/find the owl checkpoint to a new dungeon halfway through the 3 day cycle, just spend the rest of the time doing side quests, exploring, etc. Then just conquer the dungeon with the fresh cycle, and spend whatever time you have left collecting fairies, more sidequests, etc.

So yeah, obvious stuff, but I never felt cut off from doing what I want by the time system in this game even though I'm new to it and have played around 40 hours by this point.

Chuckie

So I finished the Snow Temple..

.. and now it is spring but I only have few hours left on the third day.
I am going to have to replay that damn dungeon to make it spring again aren't I? :(

So I finished the Snow Temple..

.. and now it is spring but I only have few hours left on the third day.
I am going to have to replay that damn dungeon to make it spring again aren't I? :(

You only have to beat the boss again. There will be a portal at the entrance from now on.

seady

Basically, none of the side quest items/bottle items get retained if you go back in time. Rewards in the form of e.g. a mask or Piece of Heart and the Bomber's Notebook update are permanent.

Then what's the point of doing side quest if nothing is recorded/retained?

Guru-Guru

Banned
Was going to play and beat the 4th dungeon today...But I knew once I finished that I only will have a handful of sidequests left to finish before the final boss. I'm getting too sad of leaving Termina after only playing for 8 days so far.

I just beat Snowhead, but I don't know how I feel about what they did to the Goht fight.
Why did they add the eye, instead of just allowing you to attack at any point like before? I enjoyed continuing the Goron roll into the sucker. But they actually made me stop, pull out arrows and shoot him because the eye was too high up to reach for Goron Link. What was the point of that change? To take up more time? It didn't add anything, and actually took something away from the fight. What was the point?

Also, the Gorons' eyes look completely different than the original, and it doesn't stop bothering me. Biggoron in particular looks terrifying.

Molemitts

Link carrying relics of those future events does not mean those events still have to exist in some alternate timeline. Link removed them from the timeline. They now exist with Link, outside of the timeline. They exist even though the events that led to them no longer exist when Link resets the clock. And when Link resets the clock, the past is resolved to function without those items where they were before. The timeline is changed, but its actors remain the same (I.E. not destroyed).

It's one of the game's narrative conceits, how the Hero of Time transcends time and so do the key items he collects. Every time-travel story has some devices to make it work. Look at BioShock Infinite with its constants and variables. They function as plot devices, but that's fine because it is the rules of the universe laid out for that story.

The carrying of those relics doesn't prove it, but Link/the player has memories and experiences from previous incarnations of those 3 days which tell us the origin of those items, and also what events happened in the 3 days. You where there, you did the thing, you know it was real. Forget about the items, if that makes it any easier, just think about the things that happened in one version of the timeline and how that makes each version of Termina unique each time you do an event slightly different.

Either way there are clearly items that can transcend time, Link himself included since either way those things are defying the flow of time by going backwards to the dawn of the first day.

If you want to argue that the timeline that did once exist in some indescribable plane of time no longer exist then you would have to argue that Link's experiences from that time are illegitimate meaning that he didn't actually travel through time. If you want to argue he's not actually time traveling and all these timelines are just in his imagination since meaning there is only one timeline then that's fine but I don't see a point in arguing that, since there no reason to believe that's true.

See where I'm going with this? We experienced those events happening so they must either existed in some form or have been completely made up in our own head. Since we're gonna ignore the second presumption those events must have existed. You believe those events would have been erased, but there's no reason to believe those events in that timeline have been erased since our experiences from that timeline still exist. There's no evidence in game that timelines are erased, there is evidence of multiple timelines as we play through though 3 days so many times on each playthrough each of those 3 days we will make different decisions whilst retaining the knowledge of previous timelines, meaning those 3 days we experience multiple times have defined themselves in a unique way comparable the the previous versions of those 3 days. That's the evidence for those timelines existing.

If Link defies time your theory doesn't explain what happens to the people and events of that cycle from which Link just reversed time in, only that they no longer exist. I can understand where you're coming from but the idea of those events being erased isn't explained at any point

To reply to one of your previous points comparing "rewinding time" to the rewinding of a tape isn't possible, since a tape is a linear event, if I rewind a tape to the beginning and press play it will play out exactly the same each time, meaning that timeline is recreated, Majora's Mask isn't like that.

I'm afraid this argument isn't gonna go anywhere if all we're doing is applying different interpretations of time to a video game. I just don't believe your interpretation is consistent with the way time travel appears to work in Majora's Mask.

In your scenario the extra timelines continue to exist for no reason other than because you like the idea of multiverse.

For all we know those extra timelines might not continue at all we have no evidence of the continuing after Link leaves, but we assume they do continue because most people believe that time continues to flow without us.

Ha ha, nice!

I just beat Snowhead, but I don't know how I feel about what they did to the Goht fight.
Why did they add the eye, instead of just allowing you to attack at any point like before? I enjoyed continuing the Goron roll into the sucker. But they actually made me stop, pull out arrows and shoot him because the eye was too high up to reach for Goron Link. What was the point of that change? To take up more time? It didn't add anything, and actually took something away from the fight. What was the point?

Also, the Gorons' eyes look completely different than the original, and it doesn't stop bothering me. Biggoron in particular looks terrifying.

They wanted to give the bosses all clear weak points. It's a controversial change.

Finally completed the Waterfall Rapids.

Gosh darn, I don't remember the swimming controls being so horrible. Or do I just suck?

Doesn't help the rings are narrow as heck, but the ring itself is fat and you can slam into it...

Mr-Joker

Banned
Finally completed the Waterfall Rapids.

Gosh darn, I don't remember the swimming controls being so horrible. Or do I just suck?

Doesn't help the rings are narrow as heck, but the ring itself is fat and you can slam into it...

They ruined the Swimming control and that beaver mini is just annoying.

Top Bottom