• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3D |OT| Remakes are a Nice Thing to Have… Heh, heh

Christopher

PLAY THE SIDEQUESTS it's the games meat and potatoes - learn about the characters and how they change during the three day cycle. Explore, have fun - learn what these people will do when faced with the decision that will impend their life - it's so fun.

And yes TP is god awful.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yay, beat Snowhead, with all stray faires in tow.

Now I need to find out what to do next, because this opens up a lot of options. Since it's almost the Final Day, I can't do everything. Still... I think this is my plan:

1. Get Powder Keg license
2. Visit Goron Village
- Rewind -
3. Hand in sword at smithy
4. Win race
5. Hand in gold dust
6. YYLLRR, YYLLRR (+24 hours)
7. Pick up Gilded Sword
- Rewind -
8. Bomb the boulder to Romani's ranch
9. Get Epona, do sidequests
- Rewind -
10. Zora Mask

Does that sound reasonable? Or am I missing some important sidequest now? I've totally forgotten where to get the first one done. Where do I go for that?

Also, I totally dig the new Ghot fight.
Shoot the eye with fire arrows if you haven't. Watch Ghot burn. It looks neat.
Well you can do things in parallel. You don't need
your sword to complete the Romani quests

Regarding the Goht fight, I think it's as good as ever. I love slamming down on Goht like a spiked wheel of death, watching him slide into a wall, and while I'm still in mid-air, swapping out the Goron Mask, rolling forward, and unleashing a barrage of Fire Arrows into his eye. In fact, I like that battle so much I find it irksome I need to play the Goron Lullaby and roll up the Snowhead ramp to reach it, lol.

It's still good, don't get me wrong. It just felt like it was an unnecessary change because it didn't add anything but time. There was nothing strategic, since the target is so incredibly large you couldn't miss it. It just felt like an addition for the sake of making an addition, which feels like a pointless undertaking if you're doing a remake.

McNum

Well you can do things in parallel. You don't need
your sword to complete the Romani quests
I seem to remember
the races
being pretty hard, so that's why I'm not overlapping. In case that goes long and I miss a deadline in the other part.

Also, where do I go for the
powder keg license
? I figure I can get that out of the way immediately, and scout out the area as it is now again.

TheMoon

The Bombers don't even tell you to show your ocarina to the Scarecrow. I still think they should've been more explicit with the Inverted Song of Time. But ah well. It's the Age of the Internet, hopefully most people will find out one way or another.

But the scarecrow tells you that he has a song for you ...the Bombers don't need to tell you anything more than they do.

Because everything else in the game is fun. Dungeons are good.

Twilight Princess is the one other Zelda game I don't like and couldn't finish.

I usually leave sidequests and optional stuff until last because I don't know what items will be needed to complete them. Or do they not require items for most of the quests in this one?

In this game, the dungeons might as well be the sidequests.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Also, where do I go for the
powder keg license
? I figure I can get that out of the way immediately, and scout out the area as it is now again.
When you beat Snowhead there is a cave at the back (it was originally frozen over) of Goron Village where a powder keg Goron lives.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
He did that like half the time, but I couldn't figure out if it was because of anything I did. It just seemed like it was random. If it was because of something I did, I didn't get any sort of indication. I'm not sure I could have gotten an indication with how that boss fight works, but I think that would just reinforce the point that it wouldn't be a good idea. But again, it just seemed random to me anyways. I'd love to know if there was actually something I could do to make it happen every time though.

A guy quoted me and told me you have to hit head on, not use the ramps.

Just completed OoT 3D. The flashback to
Link meeting Zelda for the first time
still makes me choke up. Can't wait to get started and complete Majora's Mask for the first time!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a way to "cure" the dungeon areas once you've rewound other than beating the bosses again?

Apart from Snowhead there there aren't really that many reasons for clearing a boss / "curing" a region again, are there?

For Woodfall you just need it for the
Butler Minigame
(which you'll probably do right after clearing the dungeon for the first time anyway), the
boat target shooting minigame
, and the
frog in the swamp
, isn't it? Snowhead is the big one because of the
powder licence
, the
sword sidequest
and the
frogs
. In Termina Bay there's really only the
fisherman minigame
that requires you to clear the dungeon first, or am I missing something here? And clearing Ikana isn't required for any of the sidequests, is it?

Considering that having to redo boss fights sounds incredibly annoying on paper, there's really not much to it when you consider that it is only required for just a few sidequests.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Apart from Snowhead there there aren't really that many reasons for clearing a boss / "curing" a region again, are there?

For Woodfall you just need it for the
Butler Minigame
(which you'll probably do right after clearing the dungeon for the first time anyway), the
boat target shooting minigame
, and the
frog in the swamp
, isn't it? Snowhead is the big one because of the
powder licence
, the
sword sidequest
and the
frogs
. In Termina Bay there's really only the
fisherman minigame
that requires you to clear the dungeon first, or am I missing something here? And clearing Ikana isn't required for any of the sidequests, is it?

Considering that having to redo boss fights sounds incredibly annoying on paper, there's really not much to it when you consider that it is only required for just a few sidequests.

I played the 64 version back in the day, but I'd forgotten. That checklist of post-boss tasks for each area is super helpful, thanks. :)

Korosenai

Just completed OoT 3D. The flashback to
Link meeting Zelda for the first time
still makes me choke up. Can't wait to get started and complete Majora's Mask for the first time!
This was me a week ago! Beat OoT for the first time (took me 30 hours) and now I'm 20 hours into Majoras Mask (my first time ever playing it).

Draconian

People on this page taking shots at Twilight Princess should be ashamed of themselves. When it gets a remake, you guys will come around!

Neiteio

This was me a week ago! Beat OoT for the first time (took me 30 hours) and now I'm 20 hours into Majoras Mask (my first time ever playing it).
Man, that's an epic combo, playing OoT and MM, each for the first time, back to back with their superior 3DS remakes. Good stuff. You should make an LTTP when you're done. :)

ngower

I think the hype's getting to me and I'm tempted to pick this game up. BUT, I hear it's also pretty challenging. I have never beaten a Zelda game, only gotten about halfway through Wind Waker and Link's Awakening. I have a suspicion I should probably play ALBW and OoT before getting to Majora's Mask to truly appreciate it...am I wrong in making that assumption?

People on this page taking shots at Twilight Princess should be ashamed of themselves. When it gets a remake, you guys will come around!

Obligatory:

M4S51.png

JonnyKong

Man, I have no idea how you guys beat this game back in the day without online guides and what not, must have been frustrating.

Take for example, I'm just about to explore under the well in the canyon and I happened to be looking at a guide just before then to see if any heart pieces were in the area, and it mentions right there a huge list of things I need before exploring the well, such as milk, fish, a powder keg etc. Without having a guide to tell you that, I can imagine that being rather annoying in the past to have to keep coming out the well everytime to get a different requested item.

I think the hype's getting to me and I'm tempted to pick this game up. BUT, I hear it's also pretty challenging. I have never beaten a Zelda game, only gotten about halfway through Wind Waker and Link's Awakening. I have a suspicion I should probably play ALBW and OoT before getting to Majora's Mask to truly appreciate it...am I wrong in making that assumption?

You should definitely do OoT first, because it's comparatively straightforward. It's also one of the best and definitely most important games in the entire history of videogames. Majora's Mask is like some twisted and weird stepchild of OoT, so you should definitely play it after OoT.

ALBW isn't really important with regards to Majora's Mask because it has more in common with A Link to the Past (SNES) than the 3D Zeldas. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't play it though, because it's an excellent game.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'd hope it's on the Wii U or following console rather than the n3DS which people seem to be hoping for.

Man, I have no idea how you guys beat this game back in the day without online guides and what not, must have been frustrating.

Take for example, I'm just about to explore under the well in the canyon and I happened to be looking at a guide just before then to see if any heart pieces were in the area, and it mentions right there a huge list of things I need before exploring the well, such as milk, fish, a powder keg etc. Without having a guide to tell you that, I can imagine that being rather annoying in the past to have to keep coming out the well everytime to get a different requested item.

I had a strategy guide. :p

That didn't stop plenty of trial and error though.

Neiteio

Actually, in MM3D, at least, it seems like nearly everything you need for the well can be found inside the well itself. For example, there are one or two rooms with cows you can use for milk (play them Epona's Song), there's a room with a Big Poe, etc.

The only thing you need to bring is the red potion and a magic bean. Everything else can be gotten in the mini-dungeon.

Afaik you can get all the necessary items except for the two doors in the first room in the dungeon itself, so it's not really that much of a problem. There's even a cow down there where you can get the milk :)

They might have toned down these aspects in the remake though. IIRC it was more annoying in the original. For example, you had to buy the red potion to help the witch in the forest beforehand in the potion shop, as the other witch wasn't around to give it to you for free in the forest. So yes, these things were a bit annoying in the original.

kunonabi

Can you miss a stray fairy in a dungeon? I broke a bottle and one popped out but I didn't grab it and it isn't showing up again. Do I have to start the hunt all over again?

Mr-Joker

Banned
Finally got the
heart piece
from the beaver mini game *shudder* never again.

Just pretty much spending the third day grinding rupees then I am going back in time and finally doing the Third Dungeon.

I am actually looking forward to replaying Twilight Princess and seeing it from afar, as when I first played it I was just getting into the Zelda series and Twilight Princess was my fourth Zelda that I played.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Can you miss a stray fairy in a dungeon? I broke a bottle and one popped out but I didn't grab it and it isn't showing up again. Do I have to start the hunt all over again?
Wear your fairy mask in that room and it should fly to you.

Neiteio

I just finished the 3rd dungeon and I've already clocked 28 hours (according to my play history). I must be slow or bad lol.
It's a dense game. I logged about 40 hours 100%-ing the story (all masks, upgrades, hearts), but I know this game well.

This game always takes me significantly longer to 100% than OoT.

Neiteio

Ohh I did snowhead and got my upgraded spin attack but reset time before getting the powder licence...
No big deal, you're actually in a better position to put that Powder Keg to good use.

- Start new cycle
- Slow time
- Warp to Snowhead
- Beat Goht again (portal at entrance)
- Have Smithy upgrade your Kokiri Sword
- Get Powder Keg license
- Race the Gorons, win Gold Dust
- Next day, have Smithy upgrade your Razor Sword

...and behold! The Gilded Sword!

Im I the only one purposely not getting the gilded or razor sword? I find the Koriki sword way more badass/iconic, and the difficulty increase is welcome.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
No big deal, you're actually in a better position to put that Powder Keg to good use.

- Start new cycle
- Slow time
- Warp to Snowhead
- Beat Goht again (portal at entrance)
- Have Smithy upgrade your Kokiri Sword
- Get Powder Keg license
- Race the Gorons, win Gold Dust
- Next day, have Smithy upgrade your Razor Sword

...and behold! The Gilded Sword!
I just did a quick google and couldn't find anything thorough. Did Gurgelhals miss anything on the previous page when describing things that can only be done after each of the bosses?

Timeaisis

It's a dense game. I logged about 40 hours 100%-ing the story (all masks, upgrades, hearts), but I know this game well.

This game always takes me significantly longer to 100% than OoT.

That's good to know. I feel a little better now. I've got over half the masks and is estimate a little over half the side quests done. In enjoying myself, but feel like I accidentally waste time often trying to figure out what to do next haha.

braves01

Banned
No. You have to beat the boss again. Thankfully the teleporter is there.

This is still really tedious and should have made it on Aonuma's "WTF was I thinking?" list. All the resetting is still too much of a hassle, imo, and it drags down the game. Especially if you don't what you're doing (like me, having not played through this since 2000), you basically end up needing to reset most side quests a couple times before you know what you're doing, which is admittedly kind of cool to figure out, but not enough to outweigh the repetition. The worst I've encountered so far is...

Was something suppose to happen after I got the 4 eggs at the Pirate Fortress? Because I might have gotten a fish in the last aquarium.

...the fucking egg thing. I'm surprised I didn't remember how long and drawn out this is, because it's truly the nadir of Majora's Mask thus far. God help you if you only have a bottle or two like I did, since that means multiple trips to a couple different places. Also, I did accidentally get a fish in one of my bottles and was pissed when I got back to the marine research lab and realized I'd have to make yet another trip back. Mix in bad early- to mid-3D era camera control and swimming combat against those stupid snakes and you have the recipe for an awful quest line.

Conezays

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving the game and it doesn't get in the way that much, but am I the only one who has had lots of frame rate drops? In certain areas it definitely dips *very* noticeably, and I am playing on a new 3DS for what its worth. Any others experience this?

Neiteio

...the fucking egg thing. I'm surprised I didn't remember how long and drawn out this is, because it's truly the nadir of Majora's Mask thus far. God help you if you only have a bottle or two like I did, since that means multiple trips to a couple different places. Also, I did accidentally get a fish in one of my bottles and was pissed when I got back to the marine research lab and realized I'd have to make yet another trip back. Mix in bad early- to mid-3D era camera control and swimming combat against those stupid snakes and you have the recipe for an awful quest line.
Wait, are you saying you tried to swipe a Zora Egg but got a fish instead? Is that even possible?

And wouldn't you notice you got a fish when Link spins around says, "YOU GOT A FISH?"

Woffls

Beat the fourth temple with all fairies, got the reward, and deposited my rupees with under an hour left on the in-game clock :D this game gets really tense if you leave things until the last minute.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Wait, are you saying you tried to swipe a Zora Egg but got a fish instead? Is that even possible?

And wouldn't you notice you got a fish when Link spins around says, "YOU GOT A FISH?"

Yes. I did it my myself, luckily I spotted my mistake when I saw the egg still there in the tank which left me confuse to what did I pick up.

Just started laughing and just freed the little fishy and scooped up the egg.

Top Bottom