• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3DS announced!

Tookay

I totally believe you. I get goosebumps just listening to it.

Could someone explain one thing to me (without spoiling the game if possible), is there some kind of timer in game? Like, you have to finish the game before time runs out?

Not entirely. The game has a 3-day cycle (which is only a couple hours in real life). Certain characters have schedules where they do different things on different days, triggering side quests.

On the third day, the world ends.

However, you have a tool to keep the game going: the ocarina, which allows you to slow down time, skip time, and even refresh the cycle back to the first day.

So the game becomes about making a certain amount of progress in one cycle (like completing a dungeon or gaining a weapon) so that you can approach a new situation in the following cycle. All while you learn more about the characters' lives and try to help them on various side quests using your obtained future knowledge.

Here's some things I would like to see in this remaster that won't exactly change the game but would make it a much smoother experience. Whether Ninty puts these in the main game or some remake mode is up to them.

- Always available suspend saving from the very moment you hit your first owl statue. Instead of having to warp to a statue to temporarily end your game without resetting your cycle, you can do it from your pause menu. As a bonus, make it so that it only works when you activate the statue of the area you're in. For example, activating the Woodfall owl statue let's you anywhere suspend save in Woodfall and Woodfall dungeon only.

- Give the Great Fairy mask the ability to pinpoint nearby stray fairies on the mini-map. Could make the tiring and not so rewarding job of finding them a bit more convenient.

- There's a shit ton of heart pieces in this game. Give us a in-game checklist for them. At least so we know we got all of the pieces in one area.

- Make it that the song of double time jumps time forward in segments of 6 hours instead of 12. A lot of sidequests require sitting around waiting for minutes on end for the next event to occur. Giving players more precise control of time skipping could alleviate this problem.

- Let us skip previously seen cutscenes if we want to? I don't know if they added this in the OoT 3DS remake though.

- Fuck it, just put in a casual mode for all the wusses who can't handle the 3 day system. Let them save whenever they want, keep all their supplies on time resets, and the ability to slow down time even further.

Yarbskoo

- Make it that the song of double time jumps time forward in segments of 3 hours instead of 6.

This would probably be more useful than a song to slow time even further. I rarely found myself running out of time, but I inevitably ended up waiting around for something, especially if I devoted a whole cycle (or two) to doing time sensitive quests.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the japanese version didn't have owl statues right? How did they manage??

Longer play sessions? Leaving the N64 on and paused for extended periods of time? They just restarted the cycle every time they had to stop?

Probably some combination of the first two. As long as you're not concerned with someone bumping the cartridge or a power outage (or electricity usage), it should be okay to leave it unattended for a while, and the cycles aren't that long really, so it shouldn't be too difficult to set aside some time to play through one.

But apparently they have the superior version because their save system is more inconvenient and that makes or breaks the theme of the game or something.

Tookay

7) Repeat things you already did each time you reset the 3 day cycle.

That was my problem with the game, it became really confusing.

Except you don't have to, using Neiteio's method. Each time you should be making progress on something new... unless you purposefully WANT to relive something.

But apparently they have the superior version because their save system is more inconvenient and that makes or breaks the theme of the game or something.

Nobody here is saying that the "more inconvenient save system" Japanese version is the best.

Most of us ARE saying that the American owl save version maintains a good level of tension.

Nice try constructing a strawman though.

KooopaKid

Banned
...changing the save system would completely change the feel of the game, as well as remove a huge part of that impending doom.

It wouldnt be a "small change". It would be a significant change, and for the worse.

No, let's say you save at the end of the second day, when you resume your game, you still have one day left. The pressure is there.

myco666

Great! This game seems to be way more interesting than OOT which was really disappointing considering it is supposed to be one of the best games ever.

No, let's say you save at the end of the second day, when you resume your game, you still have one day left. The pressure is there.

Yeaaaaah, but if you fuck up during that remaining day, you can just hit reset with a traditional save system. The consequences of failure/poor time management become non-existent.

disco

1. I wonder what the changes will be to make the game a "smoother experience"?
2. Who do we think is developing this?

Toparaman

Banned
WOW that cover is more gorgeous than I could imagine.

I'm playing MM on Virtual Console right now for the first time, and loving it, but I'm happy for everyone that wants to play a higher frame-rate, slightly better looking version. It's a fascinating, strangely moving game.

Just be ready to play something more akin to a point-and-click adventure game than a traditional Zelda. Dungeons aren't the focus here. Puzzles and character interaction are.

ramparter

Banned
- Make it that the song of double time jumps time forward in segments of 3 hours instead of 6. A lot of sidequests require sitting around waiting for minutes on end for the next event to occur. Giving players more precise control of time skipping could alleviate this problem.
I think it jumps 12 hours right now and not 6. 6 would be great, no need for 3. That's why I remember in the final day I had to wait 6 hours for the door to enter the tower and then another 6 hours for dawn / end.

Yarbskoo

Nobody here is saying that the "more inconvenient save system" Japanese version is the best.

Most of us ARE saying that the American owl save version maintains a good level of tension.

Nice try constructing a strawman though.

I never claimed anyone said anything they didn't say. I'm just expressing my displeasure at the inadequacy of the explanations provided to convince me that untying the save system from the 3-day cycle would fundamentally ruin the themes of the game, by giving an equally inadequate conclusion based loosely on what I've been told.

Yeaaaaah, but if you fuck up during that remaining day, you can just hit reset with a traditional save system. The consequences of failure/poor time management become non-existent.

Like I said earlier, if save scumming is your concern, then would it not be better to have an autosave system in place instead of a traditional save system? That way you're committed to your actions while still being able to stop and start playing whenever you want without having to worry about crashes, unexpected battery depletion, accidentally switching the power off, or all of the other things that can suddenly interrupt your portable gaming experience.

I think it jumps 12 hours right now and not 6. 6 would be great, no need for 3. That's why I remember in the final day I had to wait 6 hours for the door to enter the tower and then another 6 hours for dawn / end.

My bad. Regardless, the default 12 hour jumps leaves you with waiting for a bit too long in some side quests.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
we knew it.
they hinted HEAVILY at it.
and now...IT IS REAL.
And I'm so happy...

also because, I'll admit it here: I've never completed MM back in the days (I didn't have my own N64...)

Anura

Song of double time should let me skip to whatever hour I like. Having to wait or having to play the song more than once doesn't add any gameplay benefits. It's just tedious.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
I'll buy it again just because I love the way the game starts.

It really makes you feel just as lost as Link is.

God I remember this. I was just running around going "what do I do! This is confusing!" Got there in the end. But as a 12yo it was tricky at the time.

I'm so excited for this. Like really excited.

Molemitts

Three-day system isn't even challenging.

1) Start new cycle and slow down time

2) Work your way to next dungeon entrance

3) Activate owl statue warp point

4) Reset cycle and slow down time

5) Warp to dungeon entrance

6) More than two hours to complete the dungeon

And if that isn't enough to complete the dungeon, it's probably enough to reach the dungeon item, which you'll take with you when you time-travel, allowing you to bypass the first half of the dungeon on your next attempt.

This so much. I hate timed challenges in games and when I first played Majora's Mask, I sucked at video games. Yet, I had no problem with the timed system at all, to be honest. It adds so much to the game.

Like I said earlier, if save scumming is your concern, then would it not be better to have an autosave system in place instead of a traditional save system? That way you're committed to your actions while still being able to stop and start playing whenever you want without having to worry about crashes, unexpected battery depletion, accidentally switching the power off, or all of the other things that can suddenly interrupt your portable gaming experience.

Sure, that'd work. Though I have no idea what would actually trigger autosaves - even making it so it autosaves every in-game hour would feel wrong to me.

Just realised something:

The Legend of Zelda (NES): 3DS and Wii U virtual console
Zelda II: AoL (NES): 3DS and Wii U vc
Link to the Past (SNES): Wii U vc
Link's Awakening (GB): 3DS vc
Ocarina of Time (N64): 3DS remake
Oracles (GBC): 3DS vc
Majora's Mask (N64): 3DS remake
Four Swords (GBA): DSi/3DS download
Wind Waker (GCN): Wii U HD remaster
Minish Cap (GBA): 3DS ambassador title/Wii U vc
Four Swords Adventures (GCN): n/a
Twilight Princess (Wii): Wii U backwards compatibility
Phantom Hourglass (DS): 3DS bc
Spirit Tracks (DS): 3DS bc
Skyward Sword (Wii): Wii U bc
A Link Between Worlds (3DS): 3DS game

Apart from Four Swords Adventures for Gamecube, every Zelda title is now available to play across Nintendo's current gen platforms. That's pretty amazing.

Forkball

WHOA NO ONE SAW THIS COMING HOW UNEXPECTED

I'm not in the mood to play it again, but it is a must buy for anyone who hasn't played it before. It is certainly one of the most unique Zelda games, and there's really no other game that operates like MM does.

The only thing that irks me about this is the box art, the dark/gritty look and feel is missing...it really set the tone for the story. They really should have used it in game as well. The new art looks more light hearted and whimsical, which isn't bad per say it just doesn't relate the doom and mischievousness of the original. Other than that I couldn't be happier.

I disagree. The lighting is much darker and more mysterious than the N64 version which gives the game its true atmosphere.

Doczu

Are there any online shops what put the EU limited eition up for pre-order? I've got to get it. There is no way in hell i'll pass on this one.

Rich!

Just realised something:

The Legend of Zelda (NES): 3DS and Wii U virtual console
Zelda II: AoL (NES): 3DS and Wii U vc
Link to the Past (SNES): Wii U vc
Link's Awakening (GB): 3DS vc
Ocarina of Time (N64): 3DS remake
Oracles (GBC): 3DS vc
Majora's Mask (N64): 3DS remake
Four Swords (GBA): DSi/3DS download
Wind Waker (GCN): Wii U HD remaster
Minish Cap (GBA): 3DS ambassador title/Wii U vc
Four Swords Adventures (GCN): n/a
Twilight Princess (Wii): Wii U backwards compatibility
Phantom Hourglass (DS): 3DS bc
Spirit Tracks (DS): 3DS bc
Skyward Sword (Wii): Wii U bc
A Link Between Worlds (3DS): 3DS game

Apart from Four Swords Adventures for Gamecube, every Zelda title is now available to play across Nintendo's current gen platforms. That's pretty amazing.

Heh, actually you can play gamecube games on the Wii U through homebrew. So its every game.

peakish

Sure, that'd work. Though I have no idea what would actually trigger autosaves - even making it so it autosaves every in-game hour would feel wrong to me.
If autosaving is a concern I'd prefer it to be pretty much continuous. Save on every location change, event trigger, and ingame hour (or even more often).

Rich!

is this for new 3ds only or are the old versions compatible?

Both.

I personally hope there will be extra features if you play on the new3DS, such as a higher framerate and camera control. Seeing as its launch will likely coincide with the western new3DS, its certainly possible.

Grizzo

I son't get the complaints about the time system.

The only thing that annoyed me was having to do the Anju & Kafei quest all over again every time I would mess it up. It does get boring to do things like
wait in the kitchen to meet Anju at night

dose

Except you're wrong.
qoQBNLU.jpg

Yep, they do count, even though they're shit.

Addi

When I heard all the talk and rumours about this game I wasn't really excited, but when that trailer showed up in the nintendo direct, it all came back to me. That game scarred me back on the 64, I had nightmares, I skipped the cutscenes where link put on his masks because the screams scared me etc. Only played through it once 14 years ago and I'm really looking forward to this now. The music, the atmosphere, it's like a David Lynch Zelda. I also remember the side quests being really awesome, especially the one with the couple's mask.

I cannot wait! This was easily my favorite game of the N64 pair. It was darker in tone, had way more atmosphere and I think I kind of liked the music better.

aravuus

Both.

I personally hope there will be extra features if you play on the new3DS, such as a higher framerate and camera control. Seeing as its launch will likely coincide with the western new3DS, its certainly possible.

Hell no, all versions in 60 fps please. Worse textures and less triangles for the old 3DS version if that's what's needed.

Heh, actually you can play gamecube games on the Wii U through homebrew. So its every game.

Well I was meaning in a more official way :p but that's awesome then! I don't think any other series as old as Zelda can claim this!

Except you're wrong.
qoQBNLU.jpg

Yep, they do count, even though they're shit.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOO

Four Swords Adventure was a long time avaible for free on the 3DS eShop.

Nope, that was Four Swords from the Link to the Past GBA remake, which I put on the list. The one that isn't available is the Gamecube game that came out in 2005. You had to connect your GBA to your Gamecube to play.

Rich!

Hell no, all versions in 60 fps please. Worse textures and less triangles for the old 3DS version if that's what's needed.

Uh, no. That would be terrible. I don't want people unwilling to upgrade to hold the experience back for people who do.

I want my New 3DS to be used to its full potential please.

Unless I've misunderstood you of course.

Top Bottom