• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3DS announced!

Akzel

My favorite Zelda at last! I'll be able to replay it again!
I did my pre-order. I still hope they will add a collector's to the US.

Molemitts

Every Zelda since Ocarina of Time 3D (OOT3D, Skyward Sword, Wind Waker HD, Link Between Worlds) has had a Hero Mode which adds to the difficulty of the game with reduced pickups and extra enemy damage. I think we can presume that Majora's Mask 3D will have it too - no reason to believe otherwise.

Dunno about a mirror mode though. Would be nice for them to implement it again with this one.

I have a feeling they're more likely to add an easy mode, so the little babies can play it. I would much prefer a Master Quest/Hero Mode, or whatever, though.

We did. On like every dungeon. Maybe we didn't reset time before going in and just gave it a shot with an hour and a half left or something?

My friend used to call it his favorite Zelda and after his most recent playthrough he was super disappointed and can't say that about it anymore. Really frustrating game these days, with all the backtracking you have to do when you reset time.

Yeah, that's why. It's mismanagement on your part. Not that it's difficult to manage or that there's much backtracking. The game is set up for you to get the dungeon ready, restart the cycle and easily warp straight there to tackle it. I managed perfectly fine as a 10 year old.

The game really is brilliant. Staright up better than OoT for a variety of reasons. The lack of main dungeons is a fair critique when compared to other games, but really the only possible short coming I see. Favorite game of all time.

Nicktendo86

We all knew it was coming but fantastic that it has been announced! And fuck yes at that collector's edition!

I adore the job they did with OOT 3D so I expect this to be at least as good.

Yeah, that's why. It's mismanagement on your part. Not that it's difficult to manage or that there's much backtracking. The game is set up for you to get the dungeon ready, restart the cycle and easily warp straight there to tackle it. I managed perfectly fine as a 10 year old.

I still don't like the implication that the game is flawless and every player should be completely free of frustration while playing or else they're "doing it wrong." It's quite easy to have difficulty with Stone Tower Temple. Not everyone grew up with the game.

RK128

Just listen to this for the first time and my god...it sounds beautiful :').

I know this wont happen but, please Nintendo, include this as part of the games soundtrack :D!

Regarding the comments about the three-day cycle.....that was a turn off when I first played it on my GameCube too :(. It felt so daunting to me, trying to do everything to get back my Orcrena from Skull Kid before the moon came crashing down....having no idea about the inverted Song of Time also didn't help matters either X(.

Re-purchased the game again for my Wii and I fell in love with it :'). The time system felt better to me, was able to learn about the extra uses of the Song of Time and I fell in love with the games world (I actually did a majorty of the side quests; had most of the masks with a few exceptions in the end). Once you fully understand the time system (which I'm guessing they will be 'fixing (?)' in the 3DS version (I guess the Mask Salesmen telling link of the other uses of the Song of Time before you being thrown into the world)), then the game transforms into the masterpiece it is :D.

For those who still cannot get into the game, I'm sorry :(; no one should miss out on the best Zelda game of all time...

OceanBlue

Everybody... you missed something, and I will tell you what. Check out that Gameplay trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wskuFyYW4Ds

There's something strange with the Gyorg gameplay. Look at the time, it's only 1:00 on the first day. Isn't that a bit strange? I think you need more time to complete a dungeon.

Once you complete a dungeon, you can go straight to the boss from the start of the dungeon on any subsequent time cycle.

Edit: It's my first time watching Iwata describe the game, and I'm glad they're describing it as gloomy and creepy. "Bring hope to an endearing cast trapped in the final hours of their lives," really hits home on what made the game so good for me. I hope my nostalgia holds up lol.

Rich!

Everybody... you missed something, and I will tell you what. Check out that Gameplay trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wskuFyYW4Ds

There's something strange with the Gyorg gameplay. Look at the time, it's only 1:00 on the first day. Isn't that a bit strange? I think you need more time to complete a dungeon.

Once you complete a dungeon, you can go straight to the boss from the start of the dungeon on any subsequent time cycle.

Yep. That's correct. You can go straight to the boss battle in any time period after getting the boss remains using this tile:

mqdefault.jpg

It's there so that you can do this:

fight bosses as fierce deity

When imagining a remake of Majora's Mask, I pictured them redoing the art to use the striking black shadows used in promotional art, like how they made the OOT characters match their official art

This art style is fine, but I really wonder what a full blown HD remake with that striking black shadowy art style could look like.

When imagining a remake of Majora's Mask, I pictured them redoing the art to use the striking black shadows used in promotional art, like how they made the OOT characters match their official art

This art style is fine, but I really wonder what a full blown HD remake with that striking black shadowy art style could look like.

The art style in MM 3D is like that. So many things are covered in a dark shadow and much darker than OoT 3D and even the original.

Just... Link is the same as OoT 3D. Maybe they will improve that in the final version

Grizzo

So the Collector's Edition is gonna have that awful USK logo on it, right?

I'm really bummed about this, to the point where I might consider getting the regular version instead.

KarmaCow

Yep. That's correct. You can go straight to the boss battle in any time period after getting the boss remains using this tile:

It's there so that you can do this:

fight bosses as fierce deity

It's also needed for things getting the best sword since the area changes after you beat the boss.

Rich!

It's also needed for things getting the best sword since the area changes after you beat the boss.

It's not required. I always finish Snowhead Temple with enough time left over to do the goron race and get the gilded sword afterwards.

But yes, it makes it easier for most players.

Meesh

I have a feeling they're more likely to add an easy mode, so the little babies can play it. I would much prefer a Master Quest/Hero Mode, or whatever, though.
Holy shit, where is Majora's Mask Master Mode? Good idea, you made my morning.

Grizzo

Import from Australia ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

That's actually a good idea, although it's also an expensive one haha.

I wish NoE wouldn't put the German version of the game in every Collector's Edition. I actually don't understand why they don't put the version of the country it's being released in.

Kiru

Man, I didn't even notice the creepy moon on the cover at first glance lol.

That's actually a good idea, although it's also an expensive one haha.

I wish NoE wouldn't put the German version of the game in every Collector's Edition. I actually don't understand why they don't put the version of the country it's being released in.

Cheaper to manufacture I guess ?

Esque7

I wonder what they're going to change or add. I assume the notepad with everyone's timetable will be on the bottom screen.

Colombo

I kind of neglected my 3DS after getting a Wii U but with the New 3DS, Monster Hunter 4U and now Majora's Mask, I'm sure I will be much more active on it in 2015.

Rich!

I wonder what they're going to change or add. I assume the notepad with everyone's timetable will be on the bottom screen.

It doesn't look like they have a minimap on the top screen anymore, unlike OOT3D:

MM3D:

which is great. I don't mind the clock being there at the bottom, just don't have any other crap cluttering the top screen.

edit: although....it could be because in the MM3D footage the maps havent been bought from Tingle yet. that's probably why lol

Seda

Early reminder to remember to turn in the Stray Fairies after you collect them! Not too fun having to essentially explore the temples again.

That was the only thing that ever frustrated me with the time system and it was my own fault anyway.

Mumei

Majoras Mask was creepy, epic, and engrossing. One of the best games in the series for sure.

Yet, I feel like once was enough for this game. It had a lot of frustations itself, not least of which that water temple which made OOT's look like a children's playground. I'm not sure I want to actually play through it again.

But that's not a knock on the game, it's absolutely a rite of passage for Zelda fans. But I'd call it the least replayable in the series, personally.

I see this sentiment - that Majora's Water Temple was more complicated or more difficult than Ocarina's - come up on occasion, but it's the exact opposite of my experiences. I was never a particularly good dungeon-solver in the first place, and OoT's Water Temple was probably the one that gave me the most trouble. Majora's was similarly convoluted, but I felt like I at least had figured out how the dungeon worked and how to advance through it.

I think part of it is also that taking on and off the Iron Boots, and navigating through water generally, was considerably clunkier and less fun than being able to jet through the water with the Zora Mask.

Grizzo

Cheaper to manufacture I guess ?

I see. Well it's that damn German edition's fault then. I'd rather we get the logo on the cardboard box. Maybe. I don't know.

Oh well, I'm gonna store the box with my other games so I won't often look at the cover anyway.

Rich!

I see. Well it's that damn German edition's fault then. I'd rather we get the logo on the cardboard box. Maybe. I don't know.

Oh well, I'm gonna store the box with my other games so I won't often look at the cover anyway.

reversible cover please

operation mooncover

maxcriden

I see this sentiment - that Majora's Water Temple was more complicated or more difficult than Ocarina's - come up on occasion, but it's the exact opposite of my experiences. I was never a particularly good dungeon-solver in the first place, and OoT's Water Temple was probably the one that gave me the most trouble. Majora's was similarly convoluted, but I felt like I at least had figured out how the dungeon worked and how to advance through it.

I think part of it is also that taking on and off the Iron Boots, and navigating through water generally, was considerably clunkier and less fun than being able to jet through the water with the Zora Mask.

I think this was my experience with the games as well, especially in OoT. I haven't played OoT 3D yet, but I imagine being able to switch the Iron Boots on and off so easily with the touch screen will make the Water Temple much more enjoyable. Similarly, I think being able to switch Masks without needing to pause the game and go into the inventory will be a terrific feature.

I do remember the Pirates' Fortress being a bit convoluted to go through in Majora's Mask, though I was a kid and used a guide for I believe both of those games, so I don't really know how legit my opinion on difficulty would be.

Rich!

There is one improvement I would like to see:

After you've played an ocarina song for the first time, have an option to play it just by selecting a button on the touch screen. It will be to the Stone Tower and elegy of emptiness what OOT3D was for the Water Temple and iron boots.

Early reminder to remember to turn in the Stray Fairies after you collect them! Not too fun having to essentially explore the temples again.

That was the only thing that ever frustrated me with the time system and it was my own fault anyway.

You should get the Great Fairy Mask first, too. Easy as reviving the Clown Town GF as a kid. Makes hunting the Strays so much easier.

Son Of D

Having only played an hour at most of Majora's Mask on N64, was there ever a Master Quest version? If not, think something like that could be added to MM3D?

mantidor

Rewatching the trailer I feel the game has a lot of rough edges. I hope it was just a matter of them being rushes to put up a trailer.

Revven

I wonder what glitches will be "patched" in this release (I hope none, for speedrunners' sake. We need that wrong warp for Song of Soaring still in tact pls).

Top Bottom