• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3DS announced!

zeldablue

But what would actually change? How would it actually change the way you play the game, other than removing some grass cutting and the potential for lost progress due to battery death or what have you.

Hmmm...Losing your material possessions every time you play the Song of Time is important symbolically and thematically. That's MM's problem, it cares more about the "theme" over the player's happiness/convenience. It's a curse and a blessing.

Anth0ny

It's just the nose really, but that simple thing turns something creepy into something goofy.

Not that you look at the moon that much in-game, but it's still offputting.

I used to look at it a lot when I played.

9Ivfitq.jpg

woah, creepy

majora3aqt8.jpg

OH GOD

ibyea

Banned
People who say MM is better than OOT. What do you smoke?

Is it that hard to believe that MM is a game that can stand on its own as a masterpiece in interactive storytelling? Yes, OoT does certain things better than MM, but with what MM does right, it achieves so much. In other words, which is better in my opinion is quiet a subjective statement that falls on where one's tastes lies.

ramparter

Banned
I don't care about removing stuff when going back in day one, I just want:

• Even slower time when you play the inverted song so you can enjoy more your adventure
  • Suspend points to become save points, like in Link Between Worlds
  • Keep the original too and call it Hero Mode.

Fiktion

Banned
Ocarina of Time is an astounding landmark in gaming history when you realize that it was one of the first 3D games ever and, along with Mario 64, essentially laid the groundwork for all modern camera systems. Other devs simply had not figured it out until those two games. The fact that it's still so good and so timeless is remarkable, to say the last.

But in a vacuum Majora's Mask is better.

Excited to finally get a version of this game with a better framerate. I tried the collectors edition port a few years ago, but it was buggy to the point where I didn't want to continue. I quite like the changes to the lighting and palette as well, but this is probably going to be a point of contention.

My biggest problem with the game however were the first three dungeons, and I doubt they'll change much of that. They were ugly, dark and not particularly clever. Felt like an afterthought, and I just wanted to get them over with, which the time constraints seemed to agree with. Luckily the fourth dungeon and everything outside of them was so compelling and interesting.

I'm curious to see what they mean with making it more accessible though. Most Gossip Stones-esque hint dispensers like OoT3D are obvious, but they aren't really a significant enough change to warrant pointing it out. I hope they make some sort of more convenient way to get arrows and bombs after a reset. The old method didn't really do much other than waste your time with grinding.

Yarbskoo

Hmmm...Losing your material possessions every time you play the Song of Time is important symbolically and thematically. That's MM's problem, it cares more about the "theme" over the player's happiness/convenience. It's a curse and a blessing.

The only possessions you really lose are the ones that can be easily replaced, like arrows, can be retrieved through loopholes, like rupees, or are important quest items that would break the game if you kept them, like keys (and the Razor Sword, because reasons).

It's not like the item removal is consistent in the original game, but I think it would be better if it was inconsistent in a way that helped the game, rather than hindered it. The important thing is the loss of your progress with the world and its inhabitants.

jaosobno

So happy I finally decided to buy 3DS (waiting for N3DS to hit EU), this is truly a megaton announcement. Never played the game, so I'm looking forward to all the Zeldas I have to play! :D

Also, a lot of people mention that the game has incredible OST, so I did some youtube searching and this track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lcpd0lhYMQI

Sounds incredibly powerful. Combination of bells and music is incredible. Perhaps the best game music I've ever heard.

Mortemis

Banned
Ocarina of Time is an astounding landmark in gaming history when you realize that it was one of the first 3D games ever and, along with Mario 64, essentially laid the groundwork for all modern camera systems. Other devs simply had not figured it out until those two games. The fact that it's still so good and so timeless is remarkable, to say the last.

But in a vacuum Majora's Mask is better.

Ocarina of Time is a game where I can see how it's better, from being a hallmark game to other things like having better dungeons, but I still can't help but love Majora's Mask more.

That's really not saying much, I love OOT almost as much, but something about MM just gives me that push to say I like it better.

It's not more 'subtle' it's less expressive. You're attributing more to the original N64 version than it is actually showing.

This is like how some people interpret old NES era sprites differently, the lack of detail of the original allows you to project more, but the entire point of an enhanced version of the game is to give detail to things you couldn't originally.

I don't care about removing stuff when going back in day one, I just want:

• Even slower time when you play the inverted song so you can enjoy more your adventure
  • Suspend points to become save points, like in Link Between Worlds
  • Keep the original too and call it Hero Mode.

While I think it would improve some aspects, slowing down time even further would make some of the more time-sensitive masks trivial to get, for better or for worse.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I know, I'm just saying that for people in the West looking at what OoT3D offered, it's not really a bad deal (and I'm saying that as someone who didn't buy his copy and looked at it down its nose at the time).
I already have enough variation of OoT myself (n64, twice on GC).
I'm playing it right now because it happens that I got my hands on a copy.
And well it's not that bad of a deal is all I can say.

Looking at what can MM3D can offer, expecting a MQ out of it is pointless (because it doesn't exists already unlike OoT MQ) and on top of that it would make no sense for MM anyway.

Of course it would make sense. There are six dungeons in the game, giving them new layouts and puzzles would make for a fantastic added value. Also, they had more than enough time to design some new dungeons, considering the OoT3D engine could probably be recycled.

zeldablue

It's not more 'subtle' it's less expressive. You're attributing more to the original N64 version than it is actually showing.

This is like how some people interpret old NES era sprites differently, the lack of detail of the original allows you to project more, but the entire point of an enhanced version of the game is to give detail to things you couldn't originally.

This is why remakes make me angry half the time.

"That's not how it goes!" :V

Ocarina of Time is a game where I can see how it's better, from being a hallmark game to other things like having better dungeons, but I still can't help but love Majora's Mask more.

That's really not saying much, I love OOT almost as much, but something about MM just gives me that push to say I like it better.

Thats perfectly fine. Majoras Mask is definitely a one of a kind game in a series of incredibly high quality standards.

Majora and Ocarina both excell at different things( Ocarinas dungeons are far better and there are more, Majora has the better side quests and athmosphere), so I don´t think you could declare one as "better" than the other.

Yarbskoo

It's odd. From this angle, the moon looks less angry and more... fearful? Remorseful? It's probably just the angle and the way the eyes are modeled, but to me the expression looks different than the one in this image.

LoZMM_Nov052014_10.bmp

If that's not intentional, they might want to change the angle of the moon to be more downward facing, or clear up some clipping issues or something.

Rich!

Of course it would make sense. There are six dungeons in the game, giving them new layouts and puzzles would make for a fantastic added value. Also, they had more than enough time to design some new dungeons, considering the OoT3D engine could probably be recycled.

No. There are four...unless you are including the two skulltula houses?

Rich!

It's odd. From this angle, the moon looks less angry and more... fearful? Remorseful? It's probably just the angle and the way the eyes are modeled, but to me the expression looks different than the one in this image.

LoZMM_Nov052014_10.bmp

If that's not intentional, they might want to change the angle of the moon to be more downward facing, or clear up some clipping issues or something.

What they've done in the 3DS version is keep the angle and orientation of the moon consistent in all areas of the world. You can see this clearly in the footage of it falling on clock town in the direct - the moon is now facing towards woodfall, not facing down.

In the N64 version it was kinda inaccurate in places.

ibyea

Banned
So happy I finally decided to buy 3DS (waiting for N3DS to hit EU), this is truly a megaton announcement. Never played the game, so I'm looking forward to all the Zeldas I have to play! :D

Also, a lot of people mention that the game has incredible OST, so I did some youtube searching and this track:

Sounds incredibly powerful. Combination of bells and music is incredible. Perhaps the best game music I've ever heard.

Love it. And it is honestly my favorite music from the soundtrack.

Harmen

For some odd reason, I never really cared about the OoT remake but am really looking forward to this (and I really like OoT more).

Rich!

For some odd reason, I never really cared about the OoT remake but am really looking forward to this (and I really like OoT more).

I guess that would be because Majoras Mask is one of a kind and hasnt been truly revisited in any Zelda games since its release.

Every mainline Zelda game since 1998 has taken major cues and utilized elements from Ocarina of Time. Not so with Majoras Mask.

Everyone who wants them to change the save system/three-day system clearly has no clue as to what makes Majora's Mask so great.

The save system is SUPPOSED to weigh down on you and make you unhappy and uncomfortable and always worry you in the back of your mind. You know why? Because it's supposed to affect you psychologically, just like the GODDAMN FALLING MOON. It's tying the gameplay into the story and into the overall theme, and it does it on a fundamental level because you CAN'T forget about the situation of the game. The Inverted Song of Time, the Owl Statues, and the Song of Double Time all work to let you control the flow of time so that it feels like you can fight back against the Skull Kid and the Moon, and that you're not actually as helpless as that masked bastard would have you believe. He might be able to bend reality, but you're able to put strategy and forethought into each of your 3-day trips. And that's how you beat him. By using your brain. Because he literally cannot.

Do you see all of the parallels and foils that are happening there? Altering the save system/three-day system would fundamentally ruin those elements.

The owl system lets you save and quit your game whenever you want. If you can't take 30 seconds to go talk to a damn statue then go play something that doesn't tax you so much, because you're not ready for such a glorious journey.

Clefargle

Perfect, love the OST, thanks club nintendo!

Rich!

Everyone who wants them to change the save system/three-day system clearly has no clue as to what makes Majora's Mask so great.

The save system is SUPPOSED to weigh down on you and make you unhappy and uncomfortable and always worry you in the back of your mind. You know why? Because it's supposed to affect you psychologically, just like the GODDAMN FALLING MOON. It's tying the gameplay into the story and into the overall theme, and it does it on a fundamental level because you CAN'T forget about the situation of the game. The Inverted Song of Time, the Owl Statues, and the Song of Double Time all work to let you control the flow of time so that it feels like you can fight back against the Skull Kid and the Moon, and that you're not actually as helpless as that masked bastard would have you believe. He might be able to bend reality, but you're able to put strategy and forethought into each of your 3-day trips. And that's how you beat him. By using your brain. Because he literally cannot.

Do you see all of the parallels and foils that are happening there? Altering the save system/three-day system would fundamentally ruin those elements.

The owl system lets you save and quit your game whenever you want. If you can't take 30 seconds to go talk to a damn statue then go play something that doesn't tax you so much, because you're not ready for such a glorious journey.

Yessssss

Saved for a repost/quote for whenever someone moans about the save system. Just deal with it, seriously.

Nintendo keep giving me more reasons to jump back into the 3DS fold. Got to get myself one the new 3DS models when they are released in EU now for sure.

Papstr

Neo Member
If you want to take a break you can simply close your 3DS and walk away anyway. Unless you wanted to play something else or something.

Mortemis

Banned
This is why remakes make me angry half the time.

"That's not how it goes!" :V

You and me both. I can see what Koji means by having more details takes away some of the projection we gave lesser detailed things in the past, I just wish it was more like the idea in my head, which would be almost impossible unless it's exactly the same. :/

Yep yep. Preach it. I hope they don't touch a single thing about it.

Anth0ny

Truth.

Use Inverted Song of Time, whiners.

Tookay

Song is even better in context. It's fucking terrifying.

... and the best song in the series.

ramparter

Banned
While I think it would improve some aspects, slowing down time even further would make some of the more time-sensitive masks trivial to get, for better or for worse.

But you can always make the time go at normal rate, plus they could add some extra songs for more time control, like half speed, quarter speed, procceed 6 hours...

Yarbskoo

I feel like there's a leap here that you're making that I'm not. I agree that the 3 day system is important, and so is using your time in that cycle wisely. What I'm not seeing here is how changing the way the game is saved would fundamentally change, much less ruin, any of that. "It's supposed to be annoying" isn't a particularly compelling argument. If you're worried about save scumming, then perhaps taking out the save system altogether and replacing it with an autosave system would be a better solution.

Moff

I think the new moon looks like a mean motherfucker.

LoZMM_Nov052014_10.bmp

Some people will complain about anything, lol.

holy shit, much much better than the old one
so looking forward to this game

I just hope the new 3DS version won't be better in any way. I want my ALBW 3DSXL to be the ultimate zelda machine.

Top Bottom