• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3DS announced!

CassSept

Except you're wrong.
http://i.imgur.com/qoQBNLU.jpg[iMG]
[SPOILER]Yep, they do count, even though they're shit.[/SPOILER][/QUOTE]

What about Game & Watch Zelda! What about it! Link bravely saves the world from Eight Dragons and nobody ever remembers about his feat ;_;

Looking forward to this game, as I've never made it through the Stone Temple in the N64 version. Great opportunity to finally complete the game.

Those who haven't played the game yet are in for a one-of-a-kind experience. And the OST is amazing. A few tracks are re-made by Theophany. Orchestrated, but so damn eerie. The album is called Time's End. If you're interested in this game, you should definitely give it a listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4jdLygR-dI

I have enjoyed every Zelda game immensely with the exception of Skyward Sword and this game, I think after I had put so many hundreds of hours in OoT this was just one game too much. I gave up after about an hour. However I'm going to buy it now, is suspect I will enjoy it a lot more now and finally see for myself what the fuss about is.

Clock_Tower___Majora__s_Mask_by_Iori20XX.jpg

original.jpg

Looks so much more atmospheric. Really love how they captured the art style and feeling from the original

aravuus

Uh, no. That would be terrible. I don't want people unwilling to upgrade to hold the experience back for people who do.

I want my New 3DS to be used to its full potential please.

Unless I've misunderstood you of course.

You made it sound like they should almost hold the old 3DS version back a bit to give the new 3DS version an edge. The framerate isn't going to go over 60, so it sounded like you want the older version to be 30 or something.

I hate the idea of a "new 3DS" and I think it's a horrible, frustrating cash grab, but I'm fine with the new 3DS version getting fancier effects and AA and whatever. As long as my old 3DS runs the game at 60 fps. That's all I want.

Doczu

You made it sound like they should almost hold the old 3DS version back a bit to give the new 3DS version an edge. The framerate isn't going to go over 60, so it sounded like you want the older version to be 30 or something.

I hate the idea of a "new 3DS" and I think it's a horrible, frustrating cash grab, but I'm fine with the new 3DS version getting fancier effects and AA and whatever. As long as my old 3DS runs the game at 60 fps. That's all I want.

You will get (almost) stable 30fps like in OoT3D and you will be happy about it.

Kimppis

Ocarina of Time 3D was the first - and so far the only - Zelda I've finished, so I'm hyped for this. (Currently playing Minish Cap.)

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
man, the avalanche of posts hating on it and freaking out at how impossible is to play is going to be glorious. Gotta buy myself a DLC golden armour for that day

jamsy

Never got a chance to play Majora's Mask because I didn't have an Expansion Pak on my N64.

But the whole idea of a time limit has always been a huge turn-off...Is it as bad as I fear it is?

Rich!

Never got a chance to play Majora''s Mask because I didn't have an Expansion Pak on my N64.

But the whole idea of a time limit has always been a huge turn-off...Is it as bad as I fear it is?

Its not a time limit.

You have full control. Its absolutely fine and superb design.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Never got a chance to play Majora's Mask because I didn't have an Expansion Pak on my N64.

nah, it's not. you have many means of overcoming that, plus, it adds a METRIC TON of tension, and game's design is basically perfection, you won't need to worry at all

Majoras Mask was creepy, epic, and engrossing. One of the best games in the series for sure.

Yet, I feel like once was enough for this game. It had a lot of frustations itself, not least of which that water temple which made OOT's look like a children's playground. I'm not sure I want to actually play through it again.

But that's not a knock on the game, it's absolutely a rite of passage for Zelda fans. But I'd call it the least replayable in the series, personally.

Neo Child

Banned

It's less of a time limit and more of a 3 day event thing. Like almost everything is different in each day. And you can rewind time whenever you like and slow down time to half speed so you can do more in the day.

I got as far as the Water Temple in this game, I bought the game twice on the Wii VC and both times the saving never worked for me and Nintendo refused to refund me.

aravuus

You will get (almost) stable 30fps like in OoT3D and you will be happy about it.

Is this confirmed or are you just talking? Cause if that's the case, I suppose I'll just wait till I can trade my old 3DS for the new one for a small amount of money and get the game then.

jamsy

Its not a time limit.

nah, it's not. you have many means of overcoming that, plus, it adds a METRIC TON of tension, and game's design is basically perfection, you won't need to worry at all

No, it's the foundation of why the game is good.

It's less of a time limit and more of a 3 day event thing. Like almost everything is different in each day. And you can rewind time whenever you like and slow down time to half speed so you can do more in the day.

Guess I'll need to buy it when it comes out then.

jonno394

I wasn't too excited yesterday, but after seeing the artwork I now need this game. I will wait until the New 3DS has been released in the UK (hopefully at the same time).

I finished this game with all masks when I owned it but never 100% the various fairies and heart containers.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The New 3DS version running better is just a way to emulate the N64 expansion pak so this game can be a perfect tribute to the original.

Rich!

I wasn't too excited yesterday, but after seeing the artwork I now need this game. I will wait until the New 3DS has been released in the UK (hopefully at the same time).

import it from australia. It's out in two weeks (21st November), it's english, it's PAL, and fully compatible with everything here in the UK. I've got one ordered.

http://www.play-asia.com/new-nintendo-3ds-white-paOS-13-49-en-70-87hn.html

£137 for the standard model

http://www.play-asia.com/new-nintendo-3ds-xl-metallic-black-paOS-13-49-en-70-87i3.html

£162 for the XL.

Even with postage, that's likely cheaper than it will be here in the UK when it launches next year. And you don't have to wait, you can have it this month.

Doczu

Is this confirmed or are you just talking? Cause if that's the case, I suppose I'll just wait till I can trade my old 3DS for the new one for a small amount of money and get the game then.

There has been no information about any upgrades when playing the game on the New 3DS (if i'm wrong, than beat me to death with a spoon). And if the port is of the same qualiy like the OoT one (and by that i mean it's really good), then we will have stable 30fps with some minor dips here and there. Much better than the original.

Jsheldon

I have enjoyed every Zelda game immensely with the exception of Skyward Sword and this game, I think after I had put so many hundreds of hours in OoT this was just one game too much. I gave up after about an hour. However I'm going to buy it now, is suspect I will enjoy it a lot more now and finally see for myself what the fuss about is.

This right here ( in regards to MM). OOT is one of my top three all time and after no more than an hour or two of MM I simply lost interest. Looking forward to a fresh start on a new system in the new year :)

MegalonJJ

Banned
OoT on N64 did have anti-aliasing, but only a very crude form of edge anti-aliasing. OoT 3D, on the other hand, has a higher base resolution(400x240 vs 320x240), far better framerate, and 2x supersampling when played in 2D mode.

Will Majora's Mask 3D have anti-aliasing in 2D mode like OoT 3D?

aravuus

There has been no information about any upgrades when playing the game on the New 3DS (if i'm wrong, than beat me to death with a spoon). And if the port is of the same qualiy like the OoT one (and by that i mean it's really good), then we will have stable 30fps with some minor dips here and there. Much better than the original.

Right, thanks.

Well, whatever the case, I'm sure it'll be playable for me.

I'm happy, so so happy! Majora's Mask is tied together with OOT as my favorite game of all time. I haven't played it in probably ten years yet I can remember most of the game vividly while I have a hard time remembering what happened in many games I played in the last few years. It's time to play it again and revisit the most "alive" world in a Zelda yet. I hope they nerf the fierce deity mask though, it was so op there was no fun in using it.

Scrawnton

Right, thanks.

Well, whatever the case, I'm sure it'll be playable for me.
I remember the original having a not so good frame rate, but it's been ages since I played it on wii. Am incorrect in this? If that's the case, playing a smoother version is welcoming.

ash_ag

You could have posted the Zelda Game Watch which would mean people couldn't use the non-Nintendo argument against you.

Actually, the Game Watch is as licensed and unrelated to Nintendo as the CD-i games.
What you mean to say is the Zelda Game & Watch. :p
APaKVrp.png

Really an overlooked game. It's directly by R&D1, with Gunpei Yokoi design, and featuring an original "storyline" (so to speak). It kind of is the first handheld Zelda, in spite of Link's Awakening usually receiving that honour. I was really disappointed that it didn't release along with other reengineered Game & Watch games on DSiWare.

To be fair, it did appear on Game & Watch Gallery 4 for GBA, circa 2002.
xBArba1.png

I suppose it will eventually become available through the VC, technically. Still, it was a missed opportunity when it didn't release with the other G&W classics on DSiWare. Nintendo should revive and complete that line.

Rich!

Think nintendo will do a mirror mode master quest mode for this game?

Every Zelda since Ocarina of Time 3D (OOT3D, Skyward Sword, Wind Waker HD, Link Between Worlds) has had a Hero Mode which adds to the difficulty of the game with reduced pickups and extra enemy damage. I think we can presume that Majora's Mask 3D will have it too - no reason to believe otherwise.

Dunno about a mirror mode though. Would be nice for them to implement it again with this one.

Its not a time limit.

It actually is a time limit.

My friend and I went through the game again a few years back and it was super nerve wracking trying to finish a dungeon in time, and really disappointing when you realize that you're not going to make it and you're going to have to turn back the clock and run all the way back to the dungeon again.

Rich!

My friend and I went through the game again a few years back and it was super nerve wracking trying to finish a dungeon in time, and really disappointing when you realize that you're not going to make it and you're going to have to turn back the clock and run all the way back to the dungeon again.

how?

If you use the inverted song of time, you have three real life hours. That's more than enough to do the dungeon and any sidequests. Ever since I got the game in 2000 (as a 11 year old), I've never once ran out of time during a dungeon. Ever.

No way. The music is great, don't change it. Should re-releases of Super Mario Bros be orchestrated as well? There are no problems with the music in Majora and it would lose something for me if they changed it.

Who are you, Koji Kondo? I don't know anyone could think this way.

"This game sure is immersive, and I sure do appreciate the updated graphics, but ehh...they should keep the shitty 1996 MIDI sound, that's the real charm of the game."

how?

If you use the inverted song of time, you have three real life hours. That's more than enough to do the dungeon and any sidequests. Ever since I got the game in 2000 (as a 11 year old), I've never once ran out of time during a dungeon. Ever.

We did. On like every dungeon. Maybe we didn't reset time before going in and just gave it a shot with an hour and a half left or something?

My friend used to call it his favorite Zelda and after his most recent playthrough he was super disappointed and can't say that about it anymore. Really frustrating game these days, with all the backtracking you have to do when you reset time.

Who are you, Koji Kondo? I don't know anyone could think this way.

"This game sure is immersive, and I sure do appreciate the updated graphics, but ehh...they should keep the shitty 1996 MIDI sound, that's the real charm of the game."

Shitty? Well okay. That shitty 90-00's midi sound transfers way more emotions than every orhcestrated game sounds in modern games.

Ianan

I honestly don't understand the complaints around the 3 day cycle. I guess if you've never played it before you could be confused by the concept of it.

I remember getting this game, putting it into my N64 then having a screen popup telling me I needed the expansion pak. I was devastated, I had to wait 2 whole weeks just staring at the box art since we couldn't afford it at the time (I recall it being around £70).

I was 10 years old at this time, so was way before I was involved in gaming sites and communities on the internet so I didn't really know much about the game itself.
I remember hating it at first, thought I would have to go through the whole game as a Deku Scrub and that it needed to be somehow completed in the 3 day cycle. I was angry, hated that I thought at the time they ruined Zelda and how they could possibly screw it up so bad.

THEN, I managed to actually get the Ocarina from the Skull Kid and slowly started loving it. I didn't appreciate the 3 day cycle back then as much as I do now, its insane how amazingly well designed Majoras Mask is. I did EVERYTHING you could in MM and even played through it multiple times.

I've not played it since I was about 11-12 years old so I cannot wait to play this again.

Shitty? Well okay. That shitty 90-00's midi sound transfers way more emotions than every orhcestrated game sounds in modern games.

No...

...the music does.

The instrument quality /=/ effectiveness of the melody.

How can you even confuse the two? No one is talking about changing the music itself.
Only updating it because it's supposed to be a remake.

Top Bottom