• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3DS announced!

RK128

I know this is off topic, but what if to link with the launch of MM3D, Young Link becomes a DLC fighter in Smash Bros. U/3DS?

His base A button attacks would largely be the same from Toon Link but his smash attacks would be all from MM; Down Smash would be the Bomb Mask Blowing (giving him 5% damage), Side Smash would be him rushing foward with his sheld while wairing a modified Bunny Hood (to separate if from Smash's one), and is Up Smash could be a powerful spin attack (using the magic version of it from MM).

His Specials could all be from MM too; Down-B could be Chu Chu Bombs, Side-B could be the light arrow, his Up-B could be using a Chicken (while waring the chicken mask) and his B special could be a charge-up attack with his special sword (the one you can find that replaces your small sword).

The real interesting thing could be the transformation masks :D. Like ZSS and Zelda/Shek, they would all be unique characters.

Deku Link would be focused on speed at the cost of greater knock back, Zora Link would have ranged attacks based around his fins and music, and Goron Link would be a tank with his side-special being the magic Goron Roll but he would have weak recovery. They all could share the same final smash; FD Link.

I don't know, this idea just popped in my head a few minutes ago, but it could be a great way to celebrate the release of MM3D :D!

Griss

I got my adult wallet ready!

Also, this is the kind of game you sink some time into. Moreso than any Zelda game. Couple's Mask... I'm ready.

Couple's_Mask.png

For the first time in my life, I suddenly understood the symbol on the front of this mask. Wow, that's some belated recognition.

You'd think they'd have a hard time topping this poster, but I think the new one does a very good job. I love the new poster so much. How the Skull Kid stands out so much despite being the smallest thing on the poster due to his juxtaposition with the moon, the representation of the characters, the creepy contrast on the Happy Mask Salesman, etc. The poster pretty much has everything I could think to want for representing the game. It's so good. :D

I agree! Such a great piece of artwork! The detail, the coloring, the composition...I could get lost just looking at the poster.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Maybe they will include an easy mode for people with this desire.

Honestly, I'd like that. It's not that I'm not able to play a "deep" game, or whatever, but portable consoles are usually used in different situations than home consoles.
Such a choice, or at least a real quicksave, would be welcomed.

georly

For the first time in my life, I suddenly understood the symbol on the front of this mask. Wow, that's some belated recognition.

I didn't realize there was anything to get out of it until you mentioned it....

is it a couple holding hands and kissing? Woman on the left because of the skirt/dress?

Woman in red, man in blue?

k69e8Cj.png

Rich!

is it a couple holding hands and kissing? Woman on the left because of the skirt/dress?

I think it's a couple kissing, one of them sitting on the lap of the other.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
No. It would ruin the game.

goddamnit. Nintendo had better not alter it and just include a "baby mode" for those who don't want to play it as intended.

how can YOUR game be ruined by a "mode" if you are nof forced to play throuhg it (or to use that function?)
please explain.
if they will not provide for example a quicksave, it could be ruined for me, because playing on a handheld is something different from playing at home.

rekameohs

Banned

I'm pretty sure those are just thick / stylized arms. Heads touching or kissing and holding hands.

Grief.exe

I'm not gonna lie. I was kind of hoping this would be an exclusive game on the New 3DS. It's just a little weird to see such outdated visuals on a handheld device when mobile tech has come so far since the system launched. Here's to hoping for some secret dungeon or something if played on the n3DS.

That really is the modern console market in a nutshell.

Cheap, outdated hardware that is well behind the curve.

I know this is off topic, but what if to link with the launch of MM3D, Young Link becomes a DLC fighter in Smash Bros. U/3DS?

His base A button attacks would largely be the same from Toon Link but his smash attacks would be all from MM; Down Smash would be the Bomb Mask Blowing (giving him 5% damage), Side Smash would be him rushing foward with his sheld while wairing a modified Bunny Hood (to separate if from Smash's one), and is Up Smash could be a powerful spin attack (using the magic version of it from MM).

His Specials could all be from MM too; Down-B could be Chu Chu Bombs, Side-B could be the light arrow, his Up-B could be using a Chicken (while waring the chicken mask) and his B special could be a charge-up attack with his special sword (the one you can find that replaces your small sword).

The real interesting thing could be the transformation masks :D. Like ZSS and Zelda/Shek, they would all be unique characters.

Deku Link would be focused on speed at the cost of greater knock back, Zora Link would have ranged attacks based around his fins and music, and Goron Link would be a tank with his side-special being the magic Goron Roll but he would have weak recovery. They all could share the same final smash; FD Link.

I don't know, this idea just popped in my head a few minutes ago, but it could be a great way to celebrate the release of MM3D :D!

I would think Skull Kid would be the better option. Another Link would be largely redundant.

Rich!

how can YOUR game be ruined by a "mode" if you are nof forced to play throuhg it (or to use that function?)
please explain.
if they will not provide for example a quicksave, it could be ruined for me, because playing on a handheld is something different from playing at home.

It's been explained numerous times. The entire game is fundamentally based around the persistent three day cycle for gameplay and thematic reasons. Altering that will be detrimental to the game.

It's like people complaining about not being able to pause in dark souls but it's a far more significant issue in Majora's Mask.

I would say just deal with it. Play it as its supposed to be played. If you don't like how the three day cycle works, then the game isn't for you. It's as simple as that, really.

"The lines on the mask resemble a side view of two people touching heads and hands.

welp. I was really scrambling to see what you were seeing. Then I read that and I was scrambling to see what they were seeing. Now I FINALLY see it. Wow. That's pretty awesome.

georly

please explain.

Being able to stop time in a dungeon takes away a core part of the game's spirit and soul. You're supposed to feel rushed. You're supposed to try the dungeon multiple times if you fail. You keep the item/shortcut if you find them, which makes your 2nd/3rd entry into the dungeon easier. It changes what the game is all about. Rushing to get to the end before time runs out. You take that away and it's no different than any other zelda.

And it already has quicksave. Just warp to any bird statue, save, and quit. Takes like 5 seconds. Or you can close your 3DS and suspend the game.

LaneDS

It's been explained numerous times. The entire game is fundamentally based around the persistent three day cycle for gameplay and thematic reasons. Altering that will be detrimental to the game.

It's like people complaining about not being able to pause in dark souls but it's a far more significant issue in Majora's Mask.

I would say just deal with it. Play it as its supposed to be played. If you don't like how the three day cycle works, then the game isn't for you. It's as simple as that, really.

While I agree with you that it should be played as is, I don't think you really responded to his point. What is really wrong with offering players more options? Letting them choose an easier mode that most would probably agree is inferior shouldn't diminish your own enjoyment of the game and would give less skilled or dedicated players an option they might prefer.

Rich!

While I agree with you that it should be played as is, I don't think you really responded to his point. What is really wrong with offering players more options? Letting them choose an easier mode that most would probably agree is inferior shouldn't diminish your own enjoyment of the game and would give less skilled or dedicated players an option they might prefer.

Give them the easy mode, sure.

Just please, please don't fuck it up for those of us who want to play the game as originally conceived and intended. There is a reason why Majora's Mask has the fan following it has. The fact that people are actively stating "well, I'm not playing it unless they get rid of the time limit" is infuriating.

If you don't like the time limit, don't play the game. Simple.

You know, with the song of inverted time dungeons rarely took more than a day to 100%. Leave the time sensitive stuff for the things actually time sensitive.

I get the feeling that if time had stopped in dungeons in the original game, nobody would have gone, "gee, I sure wish time passed in dungeons to make things more difficult for the purpose of preserving continuity!"

Rich!

You know, with the song of inverted time dungeons rarely took more than a day to 100%. Leave the time sensitive stuff for the things actually time sensitive.

exactly. I would always finish Snowhead Temple with all stray fairies by the middle of the second day - and that place is HUGE.

In my opinion, seeing "hand hold-y" trends start to pop up generally make developers think that their audience won't get the complicated components of their game and the market starts shifting to more simple, easy, less imaginative ideology.

There are a lot of assumptions happening in my opinion, but that's why I would argue against more options.

LaneDS

Give them the easy mode, sure.

Just please, please don't fuck it up for those of us who want to play the game as originally conceived and intended. There is a reason why Majora's Mask has the fan following it has.

Again, agree with you 100%. Absolutely don't diminish the game as it was and was intended. But if you can offer a mode that some folks will enjoy that otherwise couldn't make it through the game for whatever reason, sure, toss that in there. I personally have trouble finding fault with developers giving additional options and ways to play the game to cater to a wider audience so long as they're not burning their core player/fanbase by doing so.

Rich!

Again, agree with you 100%. Absolutely don't diminish the game as it was and was intended. But if you can offer a mode that some folks will enjoy that otherwise couldn't make it through the game for whatever reason, sure, toss that in there. I personally have trouble finding fault with developers giving additional options and ways to play the game to cater to a wider audience so long as they're not burning their core player/fanbase by doing so.

yeah

I'm not against additional options or modes at all - what I am against is changing fundamental aspects of gameplay to appease a vocal minority who dislike what makes the original so great. I seriously, seriously hope they do not do that - I will be sorely dissapointed, as would everyone else who has been waiting years for this remake to arrive.

LaneDS

In my opinion, seeing "hand hold-y" trends start to pop up generally make developers think that their audience won't get the complicated components of their game and the market starts shifting to more simple, easy, less imaginative ideology.

There are a lot of assumptions happening in my opinion, but that's why I would argue against more options.

I personally really dislike when that stuff is forced upon players. Zelda, as a whole, is actually a series where I think does this more egregiously than most series. A Link Between Worlds was the best the series has been in a long while in not holding your hand for an extended period of time. I like the series (and games in general) much more when they're basically sending you out the door with a sword and a general sense of purpose, with little else to guide you.

georly

It's like the white tanooki suit in 3d world/land. It ruins the game because kids will be able to beat it and they'll never look back at it in the future and think 'oh man, i could NEVER beat that game as a kid, i bet I can now.' Instead, that part of their brain will say 'yeah i beat it as a kid, i'm good, no need to ever go back to it.' It messes with nostalgia. It can make the game less impressive, make you feel like you didn't earn anything.

All my favorite games were games that made me overcome some challenges. No 'easy' game is in my top 10 list of games. Easy games get forgotten. Make this game easy and it's forgotten by the next generation of kids playing it.

It's like the white tanooki suit in 3d world/land. It ruins the game because kids will be able to beat it and they'll never look back at it in the future and think 'oh man, i could NEVER beat that game as a kid, i bet I can now.' Instead, that part of their brain will say 'yeah i beat it as a kid, i'm good, no need to ever go back to it.' It messes with nostalgia. It can make the game less impressive, make you feel like you didn't earn anything.

All my favorite games were games that made me overcome some challenges. No 'easy' game is in my top 10 list of games. Easy games get forgotten. Make this game easy and it's forgotten by the next generation of kids playing it.

People are arguing about themselves here why should hypothetical kids be a factor at all...

LaneDS

In my mind, the "mode" that was discussed would be something you make a conscious decision to opt into before even starting the game and not something where the game says "Hey I see you're having trouble with that, let me hold your hand and stuff you into this Tanooki Suit". At least if you're opting into something like that, you are making a willful decision into having an easier experience.

On the flipside, I've seen first hand how the adaptive difficulty stuff like the 3D Land Tanooki stuff can cause a player to really enjoy the game more. The girlfriend, who is not great at games, ended up playing through 3D Land relying heavily on that mechanic at times and then eventually graduated to working through most of the Galaxy games. I don't think someone like her would have stuck with it if that weren't there. So as a developer, I think there is absolutely a balance between making something challenging and making it accessible in terms of how you want your game to be received and by what audience.

Son Of D

So the Collector's Edition is gonna have that awful USK logo on it, right?

I'm really bummed about this, to the point where I might consider getting the regular version instead.

Well looking at it the steelbook seems to be logo free. That's something I guess.

I personally really dislike when that stuff is forced upon players. Zelda, as a whole, is actually a series where I think does this more egregiously than most series. A Link Between Worlds was the best the series has been in a long while in not holding your hand for an extended period of time. I like the series (and games in general) much more when they're basically sending you out the door with a sword and a general sense of purpose, with little else to guide you.

I really like watching videos and reading about game design decisions and critiques. While it's not necessarily my opinion, I find the whole "how to tutorial" argument really interesting. How do you teach without breaking immersion? There are definitely ways, and pop up screens with button mapping isn't it. Nor just telling you in some weird fourth wall breaking dialog.

Ya know, unless it's commentary like Metal Gear Solid 2.

Either way, that's why I get afraid of market trends pointing to easier games. But then again Dark Souls has done a whole lot to convince developers otherwise.

LaneDS

I really like watching videos and reading about game design decisions and critiques. While it's not necessarily my opinion, I find the whole "how to tutorial" argument really interesting. How do you teach without breaking immersion? There are definitely ways, and pop up screens with button mapping isn't it. Nor just telling you in some weird fourth wall breaking dialog.

Ya know, unless it's commentary like Metal Gear Solid 2.

Either way, that's why I get afraid of market trends pointing to easier games. But then again Dark Souls has done a whole lot to convince developers otherwise.

Agreed completely. I think we're seeing, on some level, a swing back towards the older days where not everything needs to be explained to the player, and that to me is a good thing. I still think the Souls games will be an outlier, but I'm okay with that too as it just helps make them that much more special.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Damn, I may have to buy a 3DS again. Having both OoT and Majora's Mask on a hand held is too tempting.

Zane

Wrong and I don't like your attitude saying "deal with it".

A remake is when you redo the game from scratch for new hardware. A remake would be things like this:

These are ports:

These are enhanced ports:

Port is a conversion to another platform. Enchanced ports add bonuses and features on top of that. Remakes are brand new games (get it, they are 're-making' the game).

It's a remake

OH SNAP!

i always assumed it was a flower, but after reading your message and looking at it again i JUST realized its a simple drawing of 2 couples embracing each other.

this game is so special. I had a very engaging time with it. it felt like the series matured in the form of MM. OOT was the college years, MM is the real adult world.

I don't know why I assumed this was already the case. The more I hear about this game, the less excited I am for it :-/
Don't be! It's great. I don't love it as much as some of these people (WW is my favorite), and I wasn't really excited for this at all until I saw that trailer, but now I'm ridiculously excited for it now that I'm remembering everything.

Heartfyre

Where can you pre-order the Collectors Edition in the UK?

As far as I can tell, you can't yet. It'll undoubtedly be through the Nintendo Online Store and GAME, but so far the former has no listing for it, and the latter has only the standard edition. I guess we have to wait.

I was hoping it would appear on the Nintendo Online Store, since they have gift giveaways if you spend a certain amount before Monday.

Top Bottom