• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3DS announced!

Shion

People who say MM is better than OOT. What do you smoke?
Well, Majora's Mask basically took the foundation established by Ocarina and tried to expand upon it.

+ Populates the world with memorable NPCs
+ Adds quests that give the overworld an actual purpose
+ Offers real-time NPC schedules and events that make the world feel more lively and organic
+ Builds the world and the characters around the player and creates an even more engrossing place to explore and adventure into

It's not a perfect game (in fact, I'd argue that Ocarina of Time is probably the better game overall). But for me, in many ways, Majora's Mask was the next logical step in the series' evolution. It basically tried to move the series away from taking place in a mere hub, by crafting an actual world.

Doczu

I wonder what glitches will be "patched" in this release (I hope none, for speedrunners' sake. We need that wrong warp for Song of Soaring still in tact pls).

If i reall correctly they haven't patched any glitches from Ocarina of Time, for the sake of preserving the original game feel.

Revven

Having only played an hour at most of Majora's Mask on N64, was there ever a Master Quest version? If not, think something like that could be added to MM3D?

Nope, MM did not get a MQ release. Right now it's safe to assume we'll get a Hero Mode, where you'll take x2 (or x4?) the damage and hearts will be harder to get via grass and stuff -- similar to the Hero Mode in both SS and WWHD. I really hope they don't mirror the world, though, because I'd much prefer to play in the normal world with just taking more damage, mirroring the world doesn't really make anything harder just... "different".

If i reall correctly they haven't patched any glitches from Ocarina of Time, for the sake of preserving the original game feel.

They definitely did or made poor attempts to patch things. See: Infinite sword glitch no longer working and Master Sword Early plus numerous other things. But in turn their "fixes" winded up creating more new glitches for speedrunners anyway (like how you can use Farore's Wind anywhere and some other interesting stuff). But make no mistake, they definitely "patched" things, just like they did in WWHD.

3bdelilah

Banned
Well, Majora's Mask basically took the foundation established by Ocarina and tried to expand upon it.

+ Populates the world with memorable NPCs
+ Adds quests that give the overworld an actual purpose
+ Offers real-time NPC schedules and events that make the world feel more lively and organic
+ Builds the world and the characters around the player and creates an even more engrossing place to explore and adventure into

It's not a perfect game (in fact, I'd argue that Ocarina of Time is probably the better game overall). But for me, in many ways, Majora's Mask was the next logical step in the series' evolution. It basically tried to move the series away from taking place in a mere hub, by crafting an actual world.

So..... in short, you agree with him? :p because that's the impression I'm getting. Anyhow, I agree with both of you, OOT is without a doubt the better game overall, but definitely not better in EVERY way. MM is superior in the aspects like you already mentioned, and in my opinion a worthy sequel as well.

K' Dash

So..... in short, you agree with him? :p because that's the impression I'm getting. Anyhow, I agree with both of you, OOT is without a doubt the better game overall, but definitely not better in EVERY way. MM is superior in the aspects like you already mentioned, and in my opinion a worthy sequel as well.

I really REALLY think MM is the better game, just the atmosphere is leaps and bounds better than OoT, I actually care about the NPC's, the fact the everyone has something to do during each day is amazing, and the Transforming masks stories are really heartbreaking.

Amazing game, the only thing it didn't do right was coming out after OoT.

The Lamp

The only thing OoT has over MM is # of dungeons. Otherwise it pales in comparison to Majora's genius craft. Its art style, characters, mask gameplay, everything is sooooooo good.

Yrael

Can anyone remake this gif with Majora's moon instead? Seems more appropriate XD

mUz4y32.gif

NeonZ

I wonder what glitches will be "patched" in this release (I hope none, for speedrunners' sake. We need that wrong warp for Song of Soaring still in tact pls).

I hope they don't patch the "Dawn of a New Day" glitch. It could be done even in the GC port. Or rather, they could make it an official feature, like Earthbound's epilogue segment.

Danny-Boy

So the Collector's Edition is gonna have that awful USK logo on it, right?

I'm really bummed about this, to the point where I might consider getting the regular version instead.

This is why I never buy the collectors edition. The USK logo ruins the entire package.

Import from Australia ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

What! That is a terrible idea. The Australian ratings logo is just as bad as the USK logo.

Wow, talk about me being super late to the party :)

Given that Ocarina of Time and Link Between Worlds are the only two reasons why I still even bother with my 3DS, this just gave me another super major reason to keep it around... a device with arguably the 3 best Zeldas? Sign me up!

Lunar15

Oh I forgot about A Link Between Worlds. I love ALTTP, does this one compare well now that the hype has died down?

If you're looking for the style of gameplay in ALTTP, it delivers satisfaction. Outside of that, I wouldn't say it does anything particularly better than other 2D Zeldas. Overall, I enjoyed it, but it runs a little easy and feels slightly hollow in areas. While it's not a big deal by any means, I'm still not incredibly satisfied with the item rental idea. It feels like it trivializes items and decreases options in the game. Didn't seem to bother a lot of people, though.

Still, it's hard to beat going back to top down 2D Zelda goodness with no-frills.

CptCardboard

Neo Member
I've never had the chance to play Majora's Mask before but that trippy trailer on the eShop sold me.

It looks like Zelda directed by Noel Fielding.

gerudoman

So the Collector's Edition is gonna have that awful USK logo on it, right?

I'm really bummed about this, to the point where I might consider getting the regular version instead.

I share your pain. At least there isn't a trace of the USK logo in the first promotional images of the collector's edition, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it being definitive.

I really hope that NoA does some kind of special edition for the American fanbase...

Then again I've lost almost all confidence in NoA's competence by now...

The_Lump

Banned
So awful and completely unfunny?

Majoras Mask is amazing, Noel Fielding is not ;)

Careful, opinions are afoot ;)

It is a very trippy sorta game though, felt even more so at the time (coming as it did after OoT). Really wasn't what a lot of people were expecting, even after seeing the artwork and previews etc. A few of my friends flat out hated it because it felt such a departure from what they were used to/expecting and they just didn't come back to it. Really paid off to stick with it though and those aspects which seem trippy/perculiar at first were just what helped it to build such a brilliantly atmospheric world. No Zelda has felt so engrossing imo.

Oh well, there is a trailer in the eShop. But not optimized for the 3DS hardware. And... well on the 3DS it looks WAY too bright. On my TV and my computer screen, it looks absolutely fantastic and just as dark as the original but on the 3DS it just looks like OoT 3D...

I've never had the chance to play Majora's Mask before but that trippy trailer on the eShop sold me.

It looks like Zelda directed by Noel Fielding.

That's the best way to sum it up actually. It's the Mighty Boosh of Zelda games. Ocarina of Time by comparison would probably be Father Ted.

sphinx

the piano man
Good luck with that.

specially the euro part. I can see people finding good deals in the US where competition is fierce but we in europe we love to pay premium for everything and people here are huuuuge Zelda whores so it's highly unlikely something like that will happen.

maybe if you F5' savy or some UK online store daily.

HYDE

Banned
Is Grezzo developing this? Will Nintendo please do Super Mario 64 3D for Wii U (with Galaxy art assets) now please!?

Rich!

specially the euro part. I can see people finding good deals in the US where competition is fierce but we in europe we love to pay premium for everything and people here are huuuuge Zelda whores so it's highly unlikely something like that will happen.

maybe if you F5' savy or some UK online store daily.

OOT3D is still £30 on amazon, £31 on Shopto, and £25+ for a preowned copy on ebay.

it came out almost four years ago!!!

Majora's Mask 3D won't be £20/€20 for many, many years from now - unless you are extremely lucky and get a super deal

Rich!

Man I remember when Ocarina of Time 3D was available for £19 the Wednesday after it released, that's what I got it for :) That was a nice deal for sure.

you got the super deal!

I got the eshop deal when it was on, which was nice.

OceanBlue

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac52/bingkness/Majora%20Collection/Majoras-Mask-Kodansha-Large.jpg

old poster was scrumptious as well

You'd think they'd have a hard time topping this poster, but I think the new one does a very good job. I love the new poster so much. How the Skull Kid stands out so much despite being the smallest thing on the poster due to his juxtaposition with the moon, the representation of the characters, the creepy contrast on the Happy Mask Salesman, etc. The poster pretty much has everything I could think to want for representing the game. It's so good. :D

You'd think they'd have a hard time topping this poster, but I think the new one does a very good job. I love the new poster so much. How the Skull Kid stands out so much despite being the smallest thing on the poster due to his juxtaposition with the moon, the representation of the characters, the creepy contrast on the Happy Mask Salesman, etc. The poster pretty much has everything I could think to want for representing the game. It's so good. :D

I love the little extra SMT style masks scattered around and the strange twisting buildings. It's all very unsettling in a world we were so comfortable with. I remember friends HATING the game, but I guess I just stuck with it a bit longer and learned to appreciate it. But this is the kind of game that ages like wine. Or like a good childrens movie that has those subtle nods for adults to appreciate. The game is smarter than it initially lets you think.

I'm not gonna lie. I was kind of hoping this would be an exclusive game on the New 3DS. It's just a little weird to see such outdated visuals on a handheld device when mobile tech has come so far since the system launched. Here's to hoping for some secret dungeon or something if played on the n3DS.

Top Bottom