• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3DS announced!

Molemitts

yep

especially if you have this:

Bunny_Hood_(Majora%27s_Mask).png

The best Zelda item.

I've loved every Zelda I've played.

For different reasons. SS has a lot of unnecessary padding. But that isn't unusual for Zelda. All of them could have entire scenarios cut and be better games for it. More cohesive.

I'm sure I'll love MM in spite of its quirks. Overall, there hasn't been a bad LoZ yet.

Rich!

It's a remake.

It's not. It's an enhanced port.

It's built upon the same code as the N64 version. A remake would have been built from the ground up.

http://tcrf.net/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Ocarina_of_Time_3D

Some of the unused items that were present in Ocarina of Time still exist in Ocarina of Time 3D. However, thanks to the remake's file structure, it's possible to peer inside the containers for these unused models and see the files they contain.

Some of the game's filenames reference the changes Ocarina of Time went through in its multi-year development history.
Ultra 64

The Ultra 64 was the development name for the Nintendo 64. Ocarina of Time 3D contains four Link models. Two are the Child and Adult Link models used in-game: zelda_link_child_new.zar and zelda_link_boy_new.zar. However, the two older Link models used in Ocarina of Time still exist, and their filenames reflect the old nickname for the system.

zelda_link_boy_ultra.zar
zelda_link_child_ultra.zar

I know there's not much to go on from that page, but the 3DS format has recently been decrypted and it's been proven that a large amount of OOT 3D was ported over from the N64 version. Not only that, but the 3DS version has most of the exact same glitches as the N64 original, right down to the bizarrely obscure ones. Why? Same basic code. It's a port, albeit a greatly enhanced one with new character models and textures. Not a remake (Metroid:Zero Mission is a remake)

The only part of Ocarina 3D that can be classed as a legitimate remake are the previously pre-rendered inside areas (the house interiors), because they had no other option. That's literally it. Everything else is ported from the N64 original.

Zane

It's built upon the same code as the N64 version. A remake would have been built from the ground up.

I know there's not much to go on from that page, but the 3DS format has been decrypted and it's been proven. Not only that, but the 3DS version has most of the exact same glitches as the N64 original, right down to the bizarrely obscure ones. Why? Same basic code. It's a port, albeit a greatly enhanced one. Not a remake (Metroid:Zero Mission is a remake)

You make a compelling argument, but it's a remake.

Rich!

It's not. A remake by definition is remaking the game from the ground up. Like Metroid: Zero Mission, for example.

Ocarina of Time 3D is not that. It's an enhanced port. It uses the same code from the N64 version and builds on it - I'm not sure why there is any kind of debate here.

I do apologize if this is getting into a heated discussion though. I will refrain from now on.

Is this what happens when we base an entire thread's discussion off a single trailer for a game we've already played?

I'm excited too, but is this thread seriously 30+ pages of arguing about whether this is a port or a remake, and whether or not they should include an easier difficulty for those who can't handle the entire game's most important mechanic?

Rich!

Is this what happens when we base an entire thread's discussion off a single trailer for a game we've already played?

I'm excited too, but is this thread seriously 30+ pages of arguing about whether this is a port or a remake, and whether or not they should include an easier difficulty for those who can't handle the entire game's most important mechanic?

to be fair, what else should we talk about?

it's fun to argue about pointless stuff

Molemitts

Also arguments over which is better, Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask. (Majora's Mask is better.) lol

I know there's not much to go on from that page, but the 3DS format has recently been decrypted and it's been proven that a large amount of OOT 3D was ported over from the N64 version. Not only that, but the 3DS version has most of the exact same glitches as the N64 original, right down to the bizarrely obscure ones. Why? Same basic code. It's a port, albeit a greatly enhanced one with new character models and textures. Not a remake (Metroid:Zero Mission is a remake)

The only part of Ocarina 3D that can be classed as a legitimate remake are the previously pre-rendered inside areas (the house interiors), because they had no other option. That's literally it. Everything else is ported from the N64 original.
http://www.zeldadungeon.net/2011/06/bugs-were-intentionally-preserved/

Neiteio

Maybe it's a remake.

Maybe it's an enhanced port.

Maybe it's a pair of pants.

All I know is it's one fashionable and comfy-looking pair of pants.

Kraatu

GAF,

Made this wallpaper for me and thought of dropping it here.
kEbO7u.png

PUMPED AS HELL TO PLAY THIS FROM START TO FINISH. (I've never ever done it even if I know how the game goes).

Revven

This is going to happen for every MM3D thread, guarantee it. OoT3D pre-release threads were the exact same way -- excitement initially and then a select few people started to engage in the "is it a port or remake" argument. It really made OoT3D threads prior to release unbearable. Who cares, the game is getting updated character models and texture work + consistent framerate which are big improvements for a game like MM (especially framerate, which was always below 30 FPS and sometimes even 20 FPS).

aravuus

How is it physically possible to even make an argument out of this

Well, argument might be a bit lenient cause you're not actually making any arguments but whatever.

Hilarious what comes of many non-OT threads when they're let to grow too big.

LOL

Gamers are too spoiled nowadays.

Yeah cause disliking a mechanic means you're spoiled. Actually wait a second let's take saving out of every game man that'll show those spoiled little fucks.

Get real dude.

Rich!

Hell, it was one of the biggest complaints by everyone back in the day. Not the time mechanic itself, but tedium of rewinding time.

I disagree - it is THE reason Majora's Mask is still the most inventive and daring of the entire series, and the single reason why it has such a large cult following.

Neiteio

It's already a dramatic improvement in every regard over the original game. So whatever you want to call that, it's something awesome. I don't see the point in stressing out over semantics.

This is going to happen for every MM3D thread, guarantee it. OoT3D pre-release threads were the exact same way -- excitement initially and then a select few people started to engage in the "is it a port or remake" argument. It really made OoT3D threads prior to release unbearable. Who cares, the game is getting updated character models and texture work + consistent framerate which are big improvements for a game like MM.

It's almost like people want to discuss the technical aspects of a game in a tech minded forum like GAF is... There are technical definitions as to what is and is not a port...

When OoT3D was released, we didn't have access to the game files (it was encrypted). So that left room for debate. Now we do. We can tell whether a game is a port or a remake based on that.

There is no guarantee that MM isn't completely remade from the ground up, but it would be exceedingly silly of them to do so since they have the updated/enhanced engine from OoT3D all ready to go... so in that sense there is still wiggle room to debate it, but it's just very unlikely.

I disagree - it is THE reason Majora's Mask is still the most inventive and daring of the entire series, and the single reason why it has such a large cult following.

The single reason it has a cult following is because of all the warping, rewinding and bank depositing you had to do?

They need to streamline the shit out of rewinding.

Wollveren

Banned
CANNOT WAIT. I just took my baby sisters 3DS and picked up smash bros, i've never really had the opportunity to play these older Zelda games, only Twilight princess and that game got me hooked on Zelda forever.

Finally a chance to play Majoras mask, on that note I should pick up OOT as well. If only I could get myself to stop playing COD and finish Windwaker on my wii u :(

Neiteio

The single reason it has a cult following is because of all the warping, rewinding and bank depositing you had to do?

They need to streamline the shit out of rewinding.
Can you suggest some specific ideas?

Like, what's wrong with the bank? It allowed you to exceed your wallet by thousands and thousands of rupees, and it felt cool "saving" your rupees by visiting West Clock Town at the end of each cycle. And what's wrong with the warping? It allowed you to fast-travel to dungeon entrances and devote a full 72 hours to a dungeon on a new cycle. It also made it easier to get to places where things were about to happen.

PR bullshit. We have proof from the decrypted ROM itself that it's an enhanced port. There's no arguing it.

Nothing about that article or the Iwata asks states that the game is a remake, in fact...

Shun Moriya: One conflict arose when, as programmers, we wanted to get rid of bugs. But the staff members who had played the old game said the bugs were fun! We were like, “What?!” (laughs)

That essentially proves even then it was a port. Bugs are unintentional quirks of programming, a remake wouldn't/shouldn't have the same bugs. They wanted to get rid of the bugs, as in the ones in the game. Not recreate them.

Top Bottom