• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3DS announced!

Jamix012

Exactly, and yet people are trying to convince me it actually adds to the difficulty and is integral to the gameplay.

Which it's not. And as someone who prefers gameplay over atmosphere, the atmosphere means jackshit to me if I just get annoyed by the dungeon time limit.

Question: Why would you care about the time limit in the dungeons, if it's so easy to beat them with the time limit?

the timer also adds a sense of urgency. it fits with the thematic feeling of the game.

it adds to the atmosphere. there is a difference between this game's time limit as opposed to something like pikmin 1's.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Exactly, and yet people are trying to convince me it actually adds to the difficulty and is integral to the gameplay.

Which it's not. And as someone who prefers gameplay over atmosphere, the atmosphere means jackshit to me if I just get annoyed by the dungeon time limit.

You'd have to be extremely bad at Zelda games if the entire 72 (game) hours weren't enough to beat them though. And even so, reverse song of time, gives you waay more time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling out your skills or something, but the time "limit" isn't really a limit. Once you unlock a dungeon you can just reset time and warp there from Day 1.

Atrarock

I hope like Zelda OoT they do NOT mess with the soundtrack - it's perfection here.
And this is why we can never have nice upgraded things. The soundtrack is good/great, but there's this thing called "dual audio" or having optional things. Not that it's ear grating or anything, but I'd rather not have midi files playing on a system that can actually stream high quality audio files...but I digress....
But turning off the time limit in dungeons wouldn't do ANYTHING in changing the fundamental basis for the game. As it's not fundemental or important to the dungeons at all outside of adding an annoying element to it.
Do you enter the dungeons on the night of the last day or something? You have an absurd amount of time to complete each dungeon within the beginning or even the middle of any 3 day cycle.

Hell, whenever I do a dungeon in Majora's Mask, I completely ignore the fact that I have a clock since I'm just focusing on the dungeon. It's only annoying if you're shoving it into your head that it is. You have almost an hour (maybe more since you might be pausing to switch items and look at the map) and almost 3 HOURS (with time slowed down).

Seriously, the entire basis for this game is management. Even if you aren't great with it, the game is still lenient with time even if it was or wasn't the case.

OceanBlue

Honestly I don't get how people say it doesn't add difficulty. If you don't allot enough time to complete the dungeon in one cycle, you're forced to start over. That's difficulty in my opinion. It's just that it's so easily circumventable that people don't find it to be any challenge at all. The fact that you are given a chance to make a mistake which can cause you to lose sounds like added difficulty to me.

Lumyst

Playing Majora's Mask was a great childhood memory, my brother and I would tag-team to 100% the game. We got the strategy guide before getting the game (our mom was like, "You're so sure you're getting the game itself huh?", and sure enough, on Christmas, we found Majora's Mask under the tree. It's been 14 years so I'll be playing it with fresh eyes, I've replayed Ocarina many times but I've never replayed Majora's Mask, so It'll be fun to see if I will notice those more mature themes about impending death, the end of the world, etc. in the game.

Oh? Then why is it frustrating? Surely if they can be easily beat within 3 days it doesn't matter.

Because time limits are not fun when they are not necessary and 100%ing dungeons shouldn't be annoying for people unfamiliar with them? Pretttyyy self-explanatory, despite what your passive aggressiveness is trying to tell you.

Jamix012

Because time limits are not fun when they are not necessary and 100%ing dungeons shouldn't be annoying for people unfamiliar with them? Pretttyyy self-explanatory, despite what your passive aggressiveness is trying to tell you.

I misread the first time, please read my edit.

You're fighting an uphill battle. If you concede that the time limit constrains someone's ability to beat the dungeon, that's just admitting it's easier.
If you say it doesn't constrain people, you've already said you agree it adds a layer of atmosphere to the game. If the dungeon is easy enough, it doesn't affect the game play, but the time limit adds to the atmosphere so, since gameplay is not affected but by your admission, the atmosphere is improved, so there's no reason to remove the time limit at all.

Anth0ny

3 full days slowed down is a loooooooooooooooong ass time.

I find it hard to believe someone couldn't finish a dungeon during that time, even if they're going for stray fairies.

i will admit time limits in most games are an exercise in frustration, but i think MM is the exception.

time limits are not for everyone (even me), and i don't fault most people by balking at it at first sight, but i have to make an exception for MM because it was handled majestically and time running out is essentially the theme of the game.

CrazyDude

I find it hard to believe someone couldn't finish a dungeon during that time, even if they're going for stray fairies.

Have to agree, I never had trouble finishing dungeons within the time limit.

woopWOOP

While I've never gotten past the swamp section at the start, I've seen my brother play through portions of the N64 game lots of times. Liked what I saw, but never bothered playing through the game myself.

Might get this version and actually go for it this time.

javac

Wait, I thought GAME didn't ship limited editions outside of the UK? From what I've been told they'll always cancel your order and give you the weight of the product as their excuse, even if it's far below the maximum.

That's shitty of them if true. I don't mean to spread false rumors or anything, just remember people across the pond pre-ordering from them in the past.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
No, just less annoying to 100% for people unfamiliar with 100%ing them.

To be fair to the game, dungeons aren't exactly hard to 100% anyway, in the very first area of the game you can find an item that helps you find the one thing worth collecting within dungeons. There aren't any Gold Skulltulas to find in the regular dungeons, for example, so things like that aren't as big of an issue. You find those in special dungeons instead. Nintendo most likely realised that hunting for Gold Tokens would be kind of painful with a time limit, there are other places where you can collect them, but they're limited to specific areas this time around.

The dungeons themselves are kind of weak for a Zelda game though, so if you're mainly in it for the dungeon action (of which there are only 4, mind you), maybe you should try renting the game or wait for a special deal. Just a heads up.

Howabout instead of three days you did some shit, it's halfway through the 3 days, so now 1.5 days, and you decide to go to a dungeon. You're get most of the way through the dungeon and UH! the time limit's up. This is just the game saying "FUCK YOU" and really put me off from wanting to finish it. It's absolutely something they should fix.

OceanBlue

i will admit time limits in most games are an exercise in frustration, but i think MM is the exception.

time limits are not for everyone (even me), and i don't fault most people by balking at it at first sight, but i have to make an exception for MM because it was handled majestically and time running out is essentially the theme of the game.

I don't think MM is exempt from the idea. MM is like most other games with time limits in that, if you make a mistake anywhere you face the risk of having to restart your progress. It's not exclusive to dungeons either. There are plenty of sidequests in which the same thing can happen because it's a game-wide design decision.

Jamix012

No, just less annoying to 100% for people unfamiliar with 100%ing them.

I'm going to take the advice of another poster here. I'm not going to bother arguing with you anymore because you're being obtuse about something that clearly adds some difficulty and you're just upset about it being called "easy mode." Neither of us are contesting this mode's existance, you're literally contesting the naming I gave to it.

Howabout instead of three days you did some shit, it's halfway through the 3 days, so now 1.5 days, and you decide to go to a dungeon. You're get most of the way through the dungeon and UH! the time limit's up. This is just the game saying "FUCK YOU" and really put me off from wanting to finish it. It's absolutely something they should fix.

c'mon. That's clearly just your own damn fault. Reset time before going into a dungeon. You can literally warp right in front of the temple and enter every single one if you've done all the pre-dungeon stuff in a previous 3 day cycle.

SegaShack

You'd have to be extremely bad at Zelda games if the entire 72 (game) hours weren't enough to beat them though. And even so, reverse song of time, gives you waay more time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling out your skills or something, but the time "limit" isn't really a limit. Once you unlock a dungeon you can just reset time and warp there from Day 1.

You might want to add that when you go back to Day 1 the Dungeon resets, so you have to do everything over again.

Rich!

That's shitty of them if true. I don't mean to spread false rumors or anything, just remember people across the pond pre-ordering from them in the past.

Game put an end to that recently, likely due to the added costs eating into their profits.

If the original game had stopped time in the dungeons, a couple people would be saying "maaan I wish time kept going inside dungeons to keep up that thematic element" and all the MM purists would be arguing just as hard against that. "Nooo the game is fine exactly as it is, don't change a thing!"

Lunar15

I really like MM, but it's not without some weird stuff. I think the main things I'd want "fixed" in a new version are:

1. A way to forward time to a specific time of day, rather than just large intervals. I should be able to skip time to say, 2pm, if I want to. Several quests required you to wait longer for stuff to happen than I would have liked.

2. Re doing the "Beneath the Well" section of Ikana. You had to know ahead of time what you needed to bring down to give to the enemies who blocked the doors, but even then you didn't have enough bottles to store everything. It was just a pain having to go around collecting that stuff.

Other than that, the game's a boat load of fun, and I like a lot of its quirks. The 3 day time limit was never a hassle if you knew what you were doing. The beginning is a chore, but not so bad once you've done it before. Some of the best dungeons in the series!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
You might want to add that when you go back to Day 1 the Dungeon resets, so you have to do everything over again.

I thought that was the basis of the discussion so I didn't bother mentioning it :p. It's why I mention the fact that beating them within the 72 hour window isn't anywhere close to impossible though.

At most, you have to get out of a dungeon to save at the owl statues just outside, which might be a bit annoying, but you can just play the Song of Soaring to warp to the entrance anyway.

I really like MM, but it's not without some weird stuff. I think the main things I'd want "fixed" in a new version are:

1. A way to forward time to a specific time of day, rather than just large intervals. I should be able to skip time to say, 2pm, if I want to. Several quests required you to wait longer for stuff to happen than I would have liked.

2. Re doing the "Beneath the Well" section of Ikana. You had to know ahead of time what you needed to bring down to give to the enemies who blocked the doors, but even then you didn't have enough bottles to store everything. It was just a pain having to go around collecting that stuff.

Other than that, the game's a boat load of fun, and I like a lot of its quirks. The beginning is a chore, but not so bad once you've done it before. Some of the best dungeons in the series!

That damn diva Gibdo wanting his H2O!

Seda

There is an Owl Statue sitting in front of each dungeon. It's very easy just to restart time, then slow it down, warp to the statue and then do the dungeon.

There's really no reason not to.

I'm going to take the advice of another poster here. I'm not going to bother arguing with you anymore because you're being obtuse about something that clearly adds some difficulty and you're just upset about it being called "easy mode." Neither of us are contesting this mode's existance, you're literally contesting the naming I gave to it.

Uh, what are you talking about? I don't care about the name you gave it. I care that you got all uppity about something that wasn't something uppity worthy and tried desperately to try and convince me I was wrong using passive aggressiveness. And it didn't work.

OceanBlue

You're right. The game is punishing you for not being able to wrap up whatever you were doing within the time limit. I don't agree that they should change it though. :p

If the original game had stopped time in the dungeons, a couple people would be saying "maaan I wish time kept going inside dungeons to keep up that thematic element" and all the MM purists would be arguing just as hard against that. "Nooo the game is fine exactly as it is, don't change a thing!"

Well it's unfortunate that we'll never know if this is truly the case, isn't it? ;)

Rich!

Not true.

Apart from the first two items needed to enter, everything else is found inside the well. You dont need to leave it at all.

Need some milk? Theres a cow in there - play eponas song and you get milk.

Edit: oops, i think you may already know that. If so then sorry

javac

Game put an end to that recently, likely due to the added costs eating into their profits.

Damn, I see their point in regards to why, it just leaves even less opportunities for people aboard when the options were already miniscule. Other places across Europe will probably have this SE, just like Bayonetta 2 FPE, but they seemed to sell out super quick. I wonder how limited this is, if at all. No number unlike with bayonetta 2.

Anth0ny

You're doing it wrong.

There is an owl statue outside of every dungeon. You hit it, and now you can warp to it with Song of Soaring.

Warp back to Clock Town, deposit rupees, and play Song of Time. Now you're back to day 1. Play Inverted Song of Time, and now warp back to the owl statue outside of the dungeon you're about to explore. Boom, full three days to explore the dungeon.

There is an Owl Statue sitting front in front of each dungeon. It's very easy just to restart time, then slow it down, warp to the statue and then do the dungeon.

There's really no reason no to.

Except if you're new to the game and haven't gone through the 3 day horseshit before.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
There is an Owl Statue sitting front in front of each dungeon. It's very easy just to restart time, then slow it down, warp to the statue and then do the dungeon.

There's really no reason no to.

I'm suddenly getting the feeling a lot of the flak Majora's Mask gets is out of a complete misunderstanding of how the time mechanics work and a complete disregard of Owl Statues which you can both save and use as warp points.

I hope they make the bank less annoying to use though, that stuff is just a tad annoying.

KarmaCow

Yea, if things were different in a fictional scenario, things would be different.

Peagles

I'd be the first person to jump on the "GAME is shit" bandwagon but I've ordered several special editions from them to New Zealand over the years and they haven't cancelled any. Sure they've messed up in many many other ways, but they did send them here.

Jamix012

Uh, what are you talking about? I don't care about the name you gave it. I care that you got all uppity about something that wasn't something uppity worthy and tried desperately to try and convince me I was wrong using passive aggressiveness. And it didn't work.

Ok! Great! You're fine with it being called "easy mode" so we agree!

Rich!

Except if you're new to the game and haven't gone through the 3 day horseshit before.

Then you are as bad as those who head to the graveyard at the start of dark souls and complain that they keep getting killed.

The scarecrow tells you exactly what to do, as do others in clock town.

Jamix012

Other than that, the game's a boat load of fun, and I like a lot of its quirks. The 3 day time limit was never a hassle if you knew what you were doing. The beginning is a chore, but not so bad once you've done it before. Some of the best dungeons in the series!

Now these are some decent quality-of-life improvements. Maybe just add another way to forward to like specific 6 hour intervals. I don't think I'd be on board for TOO much freedom. Yeah, Ikana well though could be improved a bit.

Joqu

I'd be the first person to jump on the "GAME is shit" bandwagon but I've ordered several special editions from them to New Zealand over the years and they haven't cancelled any. Sure they've messed up in many many other ways, but they did send them here.

Well, it happened to me once in the past and when I looked into that it turned out I wasn't the only one. Either that's something that has changed or it happens at random and I was unlucky, I dunno.

What I do know is that Nintendo LE's are a pain to get your hands on over here so if GAME works for most people I should give it a try again.

OceanBlue

Now these are some decent quality-of-life improvements. Maybe just add another way to forward to like specific 6 hour intervals. I don't think I'd be on board for TOO much freedom. Yeah, Ikana well though could be improved a bit.

I'd be fine with something like being able to use the scarecrow to skip to a certain hour. I think tying it to a few locations makes it more interesting.

aravuus

Or just not buy it.

Its clear that the game isnt for you.

I don't see what you're arguing about, don't buy the game, simple - don't waste your keystrokes.

You could just play this sweet game called Ocarina of Time. I heard there's no time limit.

Absolutely fantastic posts all around. I assume you're all MM fans? One would think you'd want more people to experience the game you love so much even if they want to play it a bit differently but no, you basically tell them to fuck off. What a welcoming bunch you are.

More often than not a game is best experienced in the way the developer intended, I agree, but that shouldn't stop people from playing it the way the want to if they so wish. If they want to, say, use cheat codes, let them. That most certainly doesn't give you people the right to tell other's how to enjoy that new video game they got.

I don't get this stupid, obnoxious "either play it the exact way (I believe) it's meant to be played or fuck off" mentality at all.

Atrarock

This definitely need to be a thing above all else. It would definitely improve the pacing even more.

Lunar15

Another thing I would like to see, but isn't necessary:

Streamlining the elegy of emptiness. Can we make this an item or something? I hated having to play the song over and over again when this was needed in puzzles. Step on a button, change mask, play song, go to another button, change mask, play song again, repeat. Very reminiscent of having to take the iron boots on and off through the menu in the OOT water temple. They streamlined this in OOT3D, so I can't see why they shouldn't do the same in MM3D.

Sorry to feed to the echo chamber, but in terms of being able to get stuff done, the time limit was never really a significant impediment. I feel like the game gave you every reason to re-start the day right before a dungeon, making everything immediately accessible on reset and putting a owl statue right in front of all dungeon entrances.

mantidor

The timer doesn't add difficulty. It adds tension and mood.

Exactly. There is only one instance where the game forces you into the limit,
Anju Kafei's quest
, and even then you have several minutes before it actually ends.

And I didn't discover the song to slow time after being over the first two dungeons. It's pretty interesting how the time limit is almost purely atmospheric. Difficulty comes more about having to be at certain hour in certain day at certain place, and how you have to plan accordingly.

Top Bottom