• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3DS announced!

K' Dash

Wow that sounds... AMAZING. Didn't think Zelda would ever take that path. Is this arguably one of the best along with OOT? I see Majora's has a fair share of haters on here.

It is the best 3D Zelda, OoT lovers know MM is the superior game, that's why they hate it.

Persona7

Banned
Can anyone tell what area this is exactly? I am drawing a blank and I know everything about this damn game.

LoZMM_Nov052014_03.bmp

Hedge

Having never played a Zelda game, I've always heard people mentioning this for some reason. Is this an alright game to start with, or would it make little sense for anyone who knows nothing of the series, other than the main character is wearing a green hat?
Also, I've heard this game is timed, is that true?

Having never played a Zelda game, I've always heard people mentioning this for some reason. Is this an alright game to start with, or would it make little sense for anyone who knows nothing of the series, other than the main character is wearing a green hat?
It's a very unique Zelda game. I wouldn't recommend it as a first taste of the Zelda series. It is not a bad game at all (it's one of my favorite games of all time), but it's not really indicative of what the rest of the series is like.

Cess007

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who have never played a Zelda before. You should start with Ocarina of Time and then, if you like it, move to Majora's Mask (and even so, MM, it's really hard to get into). And yes, MM has a 3-day cycle mechanic which some people like and others really hate.

KHlover

Banned

Considering how different this game is from the rest of the series? Ehhh
Play Ocarina of Time first for an accurate representation of how all other 3D Zelda games are going to be like and THEN play Majora's Mask.

Hedge

It's a very unique Zelda game. I wouldn't recommend it as a first taste of the Zelda series. It is not a bad game at all (it's one of my favorite games of all time), but it's not really indicative of what the rest of the series is like.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who have never played a Zelda before. You should start with Ocarina of Time and then, if you like it, move to Majora's Mask (and even so, MM, it's really hard to get into).

And yes, MM has a 3-day cycle mechanic which some people like and others really hate.

Thank you for the quick replies. It sounds as if I should look into Ocarina of Time, and then decide afterwards if I'd want to try out Majora's Mask. :)
Although I am not too into the 3-day mechanic, since I'm a type of player who likes taking my time.

Thanks again! :)

Jamix012

It is timed but not in the sense you're probably thinking. You have as much time as you want to beat the entire game, it's just that the game runs on a repeated 3 day cycle which runs on a timer. You can reset this time whenever you want, but there are different advantages and disadvantages associated with doing so.

Also, this is my favourite game ever but...Do not start with it if you've never played a Zelda. OoT 3D or Wind Waker HD are much better starting points for someone unfamiliar with the series.

Howabout instead of three days you did some shit, it's halfway through the 3 days, so now 1.5 days, and you decide to go to a dungeon. You're get most of the way through the dungeon and UH! the time limit's up. This is just the game saying "FUCK YOU" and really put me off from wanting to finish it. It's absolutely something they should fix.
You never start a dungeon in the middle of a cycle, that's just poor planning. Why do you think all the dungeons have warp points right next to them?

You use one cycle to complete the necessary tasks to open the dungeon, then reset time and warp straight there n

Rich!

Although I am not too into the 3-day mechanic, since I'm a type of player who likes taking my time.

sigh, whilst I respect what you're saying, this is why so many people didn't give Majora's Mask a fair chance.

You are in full control of time using the Ocarina. You can slow it down and have 3+ hours before the cycle resets, and when it does you keep all your important items and progress such as completed dungeons - the world just resets.. You can take your time as much as you like.

so many people hear "timer" and think "uh oh, it's like the timer in super mario bros!" it's not. at all.

Seda

While Majora's Mask certainly shares many things in common with the rest of its franchise, it also incorporates a structure quite unalike any other game in the series. This is essentially a three day timer where events happen at different times. It's not really a 'time limit' though, just a way for the world and characters to behave differently at different points in time. You can slow down the timer, jump ahead, reset it - you really have all the time in the world. The game also takes a darker, more eerie, tone most of the way through.

Probably not the best first Zelda game.

Grizzo

Damn, why is the Collector Edition already available for preorder in the UK but not elsewhere? I'm in France and I would like to make sure I'll be getting one.

Nesther

I really hope they don't remove or gimp the 3-day cycle mechanics, I loved it the way it was, that's one of the features that made Majoras Mask my favorite Zelda title. Heck, they could even remove the owl statue saving, now that we have a handheld with standby mode.

Offer a more casual option at the start, for people who don't want the "harsh" time restriction, that would be fine.

AndrewPL

While I really really want this, I can't stomach the fact that this will be priced at the same price as a full price new game.

This should be a virtual console release on the 3DS and cost $10 ($20 max)...but it will more likely cost $40.

Nilaul

Any extra content or is it the same game?

Changing that owl save system won't ruin anything. Save anywhere, continue from nearest entance/exit upon turning on your 3DS..

I really hope they don't remove or gimp the 3-day cycle mechanics, I loved it the way it was, that's one of the features that made Majoras Mask my favorite Zelda title. Heck, they could even remove the owl statue saving, now that we have a handheld with standby mode.

Offer a more casual option at the start, for people who don't want the "harsh" time restriction, that would be fine.

They just shouldn't touch it at all.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Can anyone tell what area this is exactly? I am drawing a blank and I know everything about this damn game.

LoZMM_Nov052014_03.bmp

This shot shows how they seemingly re-worked the lighting to give the game an even eerier atmosphere. Fuck, that moon in 3D D:

nasos_333

Has the 3DS been unlocked ? I am in Europe but have a US 3DS, so i wonder if this special edition would play in my system.

Amazing news, cant wait to grab this one

Grizzo

While I really really want this, I can't stomach the fact that this will be priced at the same price as a full price new game.

This should be a virtual console release on the 3DS and cost $10 ($20 max)...but it will more likely cost $40.

But why should it cost $10? They had to rebuild the game from scratch (well not totally, thanks to Ocarina 3DS) and design it with the 3DS touchscreen in mind. It's not different than those countless of others enhanced ports that have been released in the past.

Neiteio

This shot shows how they seemingly re-worked the lighting to give the game an even eerier atmosphere. Fuck, that moon in 3D D:
Exactly, if anything I think the 3DS version looks creepier in most regards.

Some people keep posting that shot of the Clock Tower interior looking brighter, and perhaps that specific room is, but in the Direct they showed footage of Link walking up into the Clock Tower (from the basement) and it looked just as dark as before.

Firemind

Yeah, one of the main reasons why I didn't get OoT 3D. I have like three different cartridges and discs lying around. I'd rather play it on a CRT again for free than paying 40 bucks for a portable enhanced version. How will the 3DS speakers do justice to the music?

Nesther

Yeah, one of the main reasons why I didn't get OoT 3D. I have like three different cartridges and discs lying around. I'd rather play it on a CRT again for free than paying 40 bucks for a portable enhanced version. How will the 3DS speakers do justice to the music?

Use headphones. The 3DS speakers are horrible and should never be used for games with great sound production.

mantidor

It's kind of funny seeing the overwhelmingly positive feelings about MM. When I was a kid, I felt like I was the only one who liked it. Most people I knew hated the time thing and said it wasn't enough like OOT. Now, I still personally prefer OOT by a slight margin, but I definitely loved MM and only liked it more over time.

Then again, it's also seeing a lot of the people who are drooling over MM completely write off SS, despite the fact that the two work in very similar ways. Central town with a lot of quests, "empty" overworld that connects to separate areas with very linear tasks to be done before entering dungeons, etc. In fact, that's one of the reasons I really loved SS: I felt that it took a lot of inspiration from MM in terms of pacing. But they are different, so I get why people are still indifferent towards it.

The other anomaly are people who are huge MM fans that complain about long, tedious beginnings in later games. MM has a pretty long, tedious beginning.

But hey, everyone's entitled to their opinion, and the pace and tone of each game often paints things in different lights for different people.

I like you and we should be friends.

As much as it pains me, MM recent surge of popularity has a lot to do with the game being "dark" and "difficult", and many people praise it to get some gamer cred, but it is a very weird game with an odd mechanic that is not for everyone. Be sure there will be a backlash once this remake is released.

KHlover

Banned

Maybe because it essentially IS a new game? They reworked every asset in the game, this is much more time-consuming and expensive than a run-off-the-mill port or HD remaster

The age of children that've gotten used to Steam sales is a frightening one.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well put in an order for the DX edition. Decided to use a code for a free Luigi hat as well. Someone did send me a Mario hat before but I don't know how the quality compares to Nintendo's official ones, but thought it would be silly to have two Ms instead of a M and a L.

Worst comes to the worst, I cancel it.

Hedge

sigh, whilst I respect what you're saying, this is why so many people didn't give Majora's Mask a fair chance.

Ah, I'm very sorry. I must have misunderstood.
Thank you for the correction.

While Majora's Mask certainly shares many things in common with the rest of its franchise, it also incorporates a structure quite unalike any other game in the series. This is essentially a three day timer where events happen at different times. It's not really a 'time limit' though, just a way for the world and characters to behave differently at different points in time. You can slow down the timer, jump ahead, reset it - you really have all the time in the world. The game also takes a darker, more eerie, tone most of the way through.

Probably not the best first Zelda game.

I see, thank you. It sounds interesting if it is as malleable as you describe! I think I shall see how I find the franchise after having a look at some of the other games, as suggested. Thank you!

Grizzo

As much as it pains me, MM recent surge of popularity has a lot to do with the game being "dark" and "difficult", and many people praise it to get some gamer cred, but it is a very weird game with an odd mechanic that is not for everyone. Be sure there will be a backlash once this remake is released.

I don't see it that way. Maybe a lot of people genuinely like the game and have always liked it since the day they first played it?

That gamer cred thing is non-sense. Sure, some people might lie about it (although I don't know why they would), but I'm sure they only represent a tiny fraction of gaffers.

OceanBlue

Oh boy, I'm not looking forward to the backlash :(. I'll be happy that more people get to experience this game though. It's definitely not perfect.

Peru

It's remade, not just enhance. More importantly that 40 bucks is worth it for making OoT immensely more playable by modern standards.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
...I just had a stunning idea. Using the hi-res art, I just ordered this:

Tesco Photo. It'll be ready for pickup at my local in a couple of days. For reference, this is the last poster I got printed by them:

it's glorious. and it's huge.
That's pretty cool. They obviously don't get fidgety over copyrighted images then which is something I've heard can be a problem with printing custom posters.

Pappasman

The purple lighting is fine but the change they made to the choking scene is odd. Went from being a creepy scene to a scene where it looks like he's about to bring him in for a hug. Did a little edit to it to show the difference that it makes. Hope they don't do this for other areas of the game because it was pretty dark for the most part and worked just fine for the game.

IUiq9Bw.png

XTXzEvs.png

2xQ9tIx.jpg

The edited version is way better.

I think the real problem with this change (and it's minor), is the camera angle.

Before the camera titled up, which made the scene more threatening.

Now it's in a boring, neutral spot.

Of course, maybe I'm wrong and this isn't a perfect 1:1 comparison.

Also the scene is lit from the bottom. The way the shadows are cast on the mask salesman's face in the n64 version has a much more sinister tone.

Looks like the dream of having MM look like the promotional art won't happen :(

Rich!

That's pretty cool. They obviously don't get fidgety over copyrighted images then which is something I've heard can be a problem with printing custom posters.

heh nah, they dont give a shit. I've done loads of gaming posters before through them, and even some promotional stuff for the blockbuster store I used to run.

Grief.exe

Porting the engine to run natively on the 3DS, New geometry, New textures, redesigned UI, and New content.

This is not simply an emulated ROM release on VC.

The age of children that've gotten used to Steam sales is a frightening one.

To be fair, it's difficult for me to switch back and forth from PC to console gaming due to the value proposition.

Not only do I have to put up with lower resolutions and frame rates, but I have to pay significantly more for it as well.

Top Bottom