• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3DS announced!

Neiteio

3EcRhF4.png

I really dislike the new brightness of the game :/
I like both versions of that scene. The original is creepier but the new version has lots of nice detail in the background.

On the whole, this game is retaining the dark flavor of the original. I think most screens and footage show this to a surprising degree.

Can you suggest some specific ideas?

Like, what's wrong with the bank? It allowed you to exceed your wallet by thousands and thousands of rupees, and it felt cool "saving" your rupees by visiting West Clock Town at the end of each cycle. And what's wrong with the warping? It allowed you to fast-travel to dungeon entrances and devote a full 72 hours to a dungeon on a new cycle. It also made it easier to get to places where things were about to happen.

I'm not talking about them individually, I'm talking about how having to do all of them together when you want to rewind time is really annoying.

The bank is solely annoying because you have to use it or else lose your rupees. It should stay in, but having to visit it constantly was really tedious.

Neiteio

It's still technically an enhanced port, no matter how enhanced it is - that's my argument.
Yeah, same here. I don't understand why some people get prickly about it being called a port. It's been dramatically enhanced, and it's using one of the best games of all time as its base. Can't go wrong with that.

Who cares if it has a lot of the same code base.

It's way to "enhanced" to be a port.

That is what, by definition, makes it a port. It's not a remake if it's not... well... remade. There is nothing wrong with the definition of calling it an enhanced port. It takes nothing away from the game. There is nothing dirty about the word 'port'. Many ultimate editions of games were enhanced ports to other platforms.

Rich!

I think it's much better. I can tell what the hell is going on.

And Gyorg's new design is amazing. Sounds like unlike OOT3D, MM's bosses are gonna go through some redesign.

I absolutely LOVE how they've incorporated elements of Majora's Mask (the eye) into Gyrorg.

It makes perfect sense. Majora's Mask possessed the moon and gave it its features, so why not have them represented on the bosses that it possessed too? Odolwa, Goht and Twinmold are going to be incredible

....and then there's the question of what they will do with the final battle. I want them to go all out with it. This isn't sacred ground like the battle with Ganon in OOT was after all. I want them to make Majora's Incantation and Wrath as disturbing as fuck.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
3EcRhF4.png

I really dislike the new brightness of the game :/

Sadly this has to be one, otherwise there will be terrible ghosting in 3D mode. Starfox 64 had it's backgrounds jazzed up for the same reason.

Mit-

It's still technically an enhanced port, no matter how enhanced it is, that's my argument.

The argument really isn't about what it has or does not have, it's just an argument on how people define port, enhanced port, remaster, and remake. I doubt there's any concrete consensus on how to define those terms when it comes to rereleasing old video games.

We all should just agree that OoT 3D and likely MM3D are great rereleases that have far more effort put into them than the majority of other rereleases and "HD editions," and are more or less executed perfectly (tasteful upgrading of the graphics that keep to the original art style for the series, leaving the music alone, and updating certain tedious features to really make the game a polished masterpiece).

One of my problems with OoT 3D is that it handles cutscenes poorly. The game is 30fps, but the cutscenes were 15fps or something like that in the original so they made it go at double the speed so there's a lessened impact. I wonder if they'll fix that here

Tookay

....and then there's the fact of what they will do with the final battle. I want them to go all out with it. This isn't sacred ground like the battle with Ganon in OOT was after all.

Well, I think the final boss room itself could be a lot better, but the rest of it is solid.

Guess they are going to be applying this new lighting throughout the entire game. What a bummer. Should have just brighten it up just a tad and improve all the textures. Don't think they had to brighten it up THAT much for the ghosting.

Sadly, I think they have to. OoT 3D still had ghosting issues, even after all the brightening.

Rich!

Guess they are going to be applying this new lighting throughout the entire game. What a bummer. Should have just brighten it up just a tad and improve all the textures. Don't think they had to brighten it up THAT much for the ghosting.

the edited version you have there, whilst it looks good on a PC, would suffer from horrendous ghosting on a real 3DS in 3D mode.

Well, I think the final boss room itself could be a lot better, but the rest of it is solid.

yep - but they can still work on the models for the boss himself. If they're redesigning the other four, they might as well go all out and redesign majora too.

Wollveren

Banned
Is this game in any way scary? I'm so used to other Zelda games where it looks all nice and bright, I mean even twilight princess doesn't look as weird and twisted as this (in a good way).

That moon is straight from nightmares.

BasilZero

GAF,

Made this wallpaper for me and thought of dropping it here.

PUMPED AS HELL TO PLAY THIS FROM START TO FINISH. (I've never ever done it even if I know how the game goes).

Thanks this is great!

I'm also using a variation of it for my phone too! xD!

Tookay

yep - but they can still work on the models for the boss himself. If they're redesigning the other four, they might as well go all out and redesign majora too.

I'm sure every boss will get some good improvements. Pretty much every boss in OoT 3D was visually enhanced by quite a bit.

BY2K

Membero Americo

Sorry but I prefer the unedited 3D version.

wwm0nkey

I would say a port is a straight port of a game with no asset changes.

Remake would be if the game was completely remade for the new system but functions similar to the original.

This game is a remaster just like the Halo Collection has 2 Remasters and 2 ports. Its the same game but has gotten a massive visual boost yet no gameplay changes.

So its not a port or remake, its a remaster.

Rich!

Is this game in any way scary? I'm so used to other Zelda games where it looks all nice and bright, I mean even twilight princess doesn't look as weird and twisted as this (in a good way).

I wouldn't say it's scary in the traditional sense. It's harrowing and emotional throughout. You develop personal involvement with each character throughout the days, and you witness characters go through the stages of denial and grief before accepting (or not) their certain deaths. You help ease the pain of a wounded character, who dies. You then turn his soul into a mask and transform into him with a twisted cutscene of you screaming in pain. You encounter a mother and child who have to accept that they will both die the next day. You meet characters who stay upbeat and positive for the first two days, only to end up cowering in their rooms during the final hours of their life.

There is a constant feel of dread and the atmosphere is constantly foreboding, dark and twisted throughout. The few elements of happiness are tinged with a surreal and disturbing feel.

The antagonist, Majora, has no motive other than to cause pain and suffering by killing everyone.

Hope that all helps you understand it a bit better. Twilight Princess is the Teletubbies compared to Majora's Mask.

Firemind

It was annoying back when I played it at launch. Hell, it was one of the biggest complaints by everyone back in the day. Not the time mechanic itself, but tedium of rewinding time.
I was specifically referring to your scenario. How can it be annoying when you accomplished something and get a satisfactory feeling out of the quest to unlock the 'key' to the dungeon?

That's like saying going back and forth in the menu to check the notes of the songs and remember them is annoying. Why can't the game just play the song itself?

I do agree the animation scene of Link going back in time should be skippable.

Neiteio

It's very eerie and unhinged, yes. Feels like a demented dream. But at the same time there's a consistent internal logic to the world and the way it works. It feels very grounded. Everything comes together like clockwork -- all the NPCs, their intersecting storylines, their branching paths, the events happening at the same time so you can't see everything in one 72-hour cycle. There's really nothing else quite like Majora's Mask, IMO.

Adding to the uniqueness are the transformation masks. Rolling around as a Goron reminds me of the podracers in Star Wars Episode One. Turns a trip around Termina Field into a demolition derby, complete with jumps. And the Zora controls like a jetfighter underwater. Seriously exhilarating, slicing the surf, drilling through enemies and leaping out of the waves like a dolphin. And the Deku Scrub can spin like the Tasmanian Devil, and has some neat moments where you have to fly from one flower pod to another.

The other masks enhance Link in various ways -- the Bunny Hood actually makes him run twice as fast, for example. Some are more situational, I.E. they yield a certain effect with certain characters, but they look plain cool to wear, like Gorman's Mask and its constant stream of tears.

Tookay

I think the real problem with this change (and it's minor), is the camera angle.

Before the camera titled up, which made the scene more threatening.

Now it's in a boring, neutral spot.

Of course, maybe I'm wrong and this isn't a perfect 1:1 comparison.

Wollveren

Banned
I wouldn't say it's scary in the traditional sense. It's harrowing and emotional throughout. You develop personal involvement with each character throughout the day, and you witness characters go through the stages of denial and grief before accepting (or not) their certain deaths. You help ease the pain of a wounded character, who dies. You then turn his soul into a mask and transform into him with a twisted cutscene of you screaming in pain.

There is a constant feel of dread and the atmosphere is constantly foreboding, dark and twisted throughout. The few elements of happiness are tinged with a surreal and disturbing feel.

The antagonist, Majora, has no motive other than to cause pain and suffering by killing everyone.

Hope that all helps you understand it a bit better. Twilight Princess is the Teletubbies compared to Majora's Mask.

Wow that sounds... AMAZING. Didn't think Zelda would ever take that path. Is this arguably one of the best along with OOT? I see Majora's has a fair share of haters on here.

Cess007

I wouldn't say it's scary in the traditional sense. It's harrowing and emotional throughout. You develop personal involvement with each character throughout the days, and you witness characters go through the stages of denial and grief before accepting (or not) their certain deaths. You help ease the pain of a wounded character, who dies. You then turn his soul into a mask and transform into him with a twisted cutscene of you screaming in pain. You encounter a mother and child who have to accept that they will both die the next day.

Goddammit. I'm gonna have to get back at home, plug my N64 and play Majora's Mask once again.

Wow that sounds... AMAZING. Didn't think Zelda would ever take that path. Is this arguably one of the best along with OOT? I see Majora's has a fair share of haters on here.

Majora's Mask IS amazing. I always loved the themes and the mood of the game. And for being hated; more than anything, the game it's just very divisive, lot of people hated or loved the mechanics with the same fervor.

Rich!

I've been playing Zelda games since LTTP in 1994, and it's the greatest game (not just zelda) I have ever played. it leaves a significant lasting impression on you. it's more of a work of art than a game, you'll never, ever forget it.

oh and also, even after saving the world, some characters still have horrendous endings (such as the d
eku butler and his dead son
).

Persona7

Banned
I would say a port is a straight port of a game with no asset changes.

Remake would be if the game was completely remade for the new system but functions similar to the original.

This game is a remaster just like the Halo Collection has 2 Remasters and 2 ports. Its the same game but has gotten a massive visual boost yet no gameplay changes.

So its not a port or remake, its a remaster.
I'll continue using the term upgraded port.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
hmmm.

I never had an issue with OOT3D on my OG 3DS when it launched in 2011.

They totally upped the brightness in spots in OOT3D as well, compare the very final fight for example.

That is what, by definition, makes it a port. It's not a remake if it's not... well... remade. There is nothing wrong with the definition of calling it an enhanced port. It takes nothing away from the game. There is nothing dirty about the word 'port'. Many ultimate editions of games were enhanced ports to other platforms.

Put me in the enhanced port camp then! It's kinda like the source ports of Duke 3D and the like.

Rich!

They totally upped the brightness in spots in OOT3D as well, compare the very final fight for example.

yeah it ruined the final ganon fight

thankfully, the final battle with majora's mask takes place in the visual equivalent of a fucking funfair, so we shouldn't have any issues with that at least

Neiteio

I prefer Majora's Mask. But it's not a game you get for the dungeons. The dungeons are intricate, and some of them are my favorite in the series (Snowhead, Stone Temple), but there are only four main dungeons. The game is more about the exploration and investigation leading up to each dungeon, and all of the people you help along the way. It takes a good while to reach each dungeon. You could've knocked out two dungeons in OoT in the time it takes you to reach and complete the first dungeon in MM.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Who gives a fuck what it is.

You're getting a chance to play an enhanced version of Majoras Mask. Everyone wanted it, now you have it.

Christ.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
yeah it ruined the final ganon fight

thankfully, the final battle with majora's mask takes place in the visual equivalent of a fucking funfair, so we shouldn't have any issues with that at least

Can't wait to see that. Majora's chamber looked trippy as hell as it was on the N64.

You're getting a chance to play an enhanced version of Majoras Mask. Everyone wanted it, now you have it.

Christ.

I think that's one thing we can all agree on. It's totally gonna be the definitive version of Majora, if only for the improved framerate.

KarmaCow

I think the real problem with this change (and it's minor), is the camera angle.

Before the camera titled up, which made the scene more threatening.

Now it's in a boring, neutral spot.

Eh, the problem for me is still how lit up the area is. In the original you can see shadows where as in the 3DS version it's uniformly and brightly lit. The camera angle is pretty much the same but model proportions have changed.

Rich!

Can't wait to see that. Majora's chamber looked trippy as hell as it was on the N64.

Yep.

The increased brightness will actually hugely benefit the final stretch of Majora's Mask if you think about it! Wacky colours, bright imagery put together with a shitload of motion blur and we're sorted.

Persona7

Banned

Christ.

It seems a lot of people care.

oh yeah, the rupee bank should have been used in more zelda games.

Anth0ny

It's no deal breaker or anything, but like the added bloom in Wind Waker HD, brightening everything up hurts the look of the game for me. I love the darkness of the original.

Top Bottom