• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3DS announced!

Seda

Personally, I don't think of it as a time 'limit' at all. It's more a simple calendar structure so that different events happen with a level of time dependence. Quests aren't simply "do A first and then do B and then C after that". You have to become familiar and learn NPC routines to know 'when' to do things. It's fun to see how behavior changes from day to day, or when the environment changes as you clear a dungeon (and clearing a dungeon a second time is trivial, if needed.) The Bomber's Notebook is a interesting tool to use in marking down events to see what people do during the 3 individual days.

I don't think of it as a 'limit' because the player is given so much control over time manipulation. Tied into the whole doomsday scenario and tone, and you have a unique game that is very well wrapped together.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Except if you're new to the game and haven't gone through the 3 day horseshit before.

The game forces you through a 3 day cycle stuck in town to get your bearings with it. Even if you hit a dead end and have to reset, you are always making some semblance of progress by getting to an owl statue. Or you could ignore it entirely for awhile and just focus on the NPCs.

KarmaCow

Another thing I would like to see, but isn't necessary:

Streamlining the elegy of emptiness. Can we make this an item or something? I hated having to play the song over and over again when this was needed in puzzles. Step on a button, change mask play song, go to another button, change mask, play song again, repeat.

Yea, climbing up to the Stone Tower was tedious.

K' Dash

Personally, I don't think of it as a time 'limit' at all. It's more a simple calendar structure so that different events happen with a level of time dependence. Quests aren't simply "do A first and then do B and then C after that". You have to become familiar and learn NPC routines to know 'when' to do things. It's fun to see how behavior changes from day to day, or when the environment changes as you clear a dungeon (and clearing a dungeon a second time is trivial, if needed.) The Bomber's Notebook is a interesting tool to use in marking down events to see what people do during the 3 individual days.

I don't think of it as a 'limit' because the player is given so much control over time manipulation. Tied into the whole doomsday scenario and tone, and you have a unique game that is very well wrapped together.

did-we-just-become-best-friends-yep.gif

OceanBlue

Regarding the NPCs, this is true because there's no content once the time limit ends. I love the "time dependence" in this game because, although it gates story progression, it allows you to see what happens to the characters if you weren't there and it gives them lives outside of the main character. In the context of completing dungeons though, I think it's fair to call it a time limit because once you've entered a dungeon, you only have to think about the three-day limit.

bumpkin

So, it's probably safe to assume Nintendo is going to fuck everyone in NA again (who doesn't live in NYC) and make the collector's edition Nintendo World Store exclusive in America.

SMH.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Goddamn casuals ruining Majora's Mask with their "options". Get good, scrubs.

KarmaCow

All that needs is a way to play ocarina songs by just pressing a button on the touchscreen.

Actually playing the song was part of the problem, but it was the whole process of switching between masks and going through the song each time that made it tedious. I'm not sure what they can do without completely overhauling how Elegy of Emptiness worked. It's not as a simple as moving Iron Boots to the c-buttons.

Regarding the NPCs, this is true because there's no content once the time limit ends. I love the "time dependence" in this game because, although it gates story progression, it allows you to see what happens to the characters if you weren't there and it gives them lives outside of the main character. In the context of completing dungeons though, I think it's fair to call it a time limit because once you've entered a dungeon, you only have to think about the three-day limit.

Dungeons are just another thing you can do in the three days before the moon crashes down. The rest of the game still exists when you're doing a dungeon even if you're not focusing on it.

Molemitts

Actually playing the song was part of the problem, but it was the whole process of switching between masks and going through the song each time that made it tedious. I'm not sure what they can do without completely overhauling how Elegy of Emptiness worked. It's not as a simple as moving Iron Boots to the c-buttons.

They could make you play the song and then select what statue you want to place, instead of having to use a mask.

Seda

That's true in some respect. To mitigate feeling rushed to finish a dungeon, starting at Day 1 with slowed-down time usually makes it a non factor.

The one dungeon I remember being somewhat limiting is SnowHead Temple, only because of how the Gilded Sword is obtained. You have to first get the Razor sword by talking to the Blacksmith *after* the dungeon is cleared but *before* the first night, I believe. (This is followed by completing Goron Races to get Gold Dust and talking to them before the second night) So you might feel rushed to complete Snowhead quickly and early to do that. But the worst case scernario is just you have to restart time and then take all of 5 minutes to warp to the statue and warp to the boss again.

OceanBlue

Dungeons are just another thing you can do in the three days before the moon crashes down. The rest of the game still exists when you're doing a dungeon even if you're not focusing on it.

Yeah, I agree. It definitely ties into the main concept of the game. I'm just saying that, in the context of completing dungeons (which at some point you will have to focus on), that's what the mechanic turns into IMO. I can (try to) sympathize with why it can be frustrating for people which is why I'm fine with a separate mode, even if it abandons the idea that you're making a choice on what you spend your time on and everything else will move on without you.

dc89

Several people have contacted us to say that the Nintendo UK Store currently has The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D listed with a February 15th release date. When the game was announced yesterday, Nintendo simply said they were targeting a spring 2015 release. This specific date on the store could be an error, but let’s hope someone slipped up and that we will get the game in February.

http://mynintendonews.com/2014/11/0...as-mask-3d-with-a-february-15th-release-date/

9 days after my birthday. I can only wish but it's probably a mistake.
Turn me into a Deku Scrub if already discussed.

Seda

Several people have contacted us to say that the Nintendo UK Store currently has The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D listed with a February 15th release date. When the game was announced yesterday, Nintendo simply said they were targeting a spring 2015 release. This specific date on the store could be an error, but let’s hope someone slipped up and that we will get the game in February.

http://mynintendonews.com/2014/11/0...as-mask-3d-with-a-february-15th-release-date/

9 days after my birthday. I can only wish but it's probably a mistake.
Turn me into a Deku Scrub if already discussed.

It was brought up earlier.

Looks like it's now on Amazon, boxart intact. (Place holder date)

61i4ruhd7zL.jpg

Tookay

I really like MM, but it's not without some weird stuff. I think the main things I'd want "fixed" in a new version are:

1. A way to forward time to a specific time of day, rather than just large intervals. I should be able to skip time to say, 2pm, if I want to. Several quests required you to wait longer for stuff to happen than I would have liked.

2. Re doing the "Beneath the Well" section of Ikana. You had to know ahead of time what you needed to bring down to give to the enemies who blocked the doors, but even then you didn't have enough bottles to store everything. It was just a pain having to go around collecting that stuff.

Other than that, the game's a boat load of fun, and I like a lot of its quirks. The 3 day time limit was never a hassle if you knew what you were doing. The beginning is a chore, but not so bad once you've done it before. Some of the best dungeons in the series!

This.

It's my favorite game ever but I can recognize that this section is just pure padding.

javac

You know you've seen true suffering when see people jumping up and down with unbridled joy because NoA didn't mess up the box-art. No more Gold.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Howabout instead of three days you did some shit, it's halfway through the 3 days, so now 1.5 days, and you decide to go to a dungeon. You're get most of the way through the dungeon and UH! the time limit's up. This is just the game saying "FUCK YOU" and really put me off from wanting to finish it. It's absolutely something they should fix.

No, there's a reason why there's an Owl Statue at each temple. Open it up, reset the cycle, warp to the Statue, enter dungeon, play slow time, and if you can't beat the dungeon in that time, you have bigger problems.

Rich!

No, there's a reason why there's an Owl Statue at each temple. Open it up, reset the cycle, warp to the Statue, enter dungeon, play slow time, and if you can't beat the dungeon in that time, you have bigger problems.

Yep.

No way should anyone take over 3 hours to clear a majora's mask dungeon. Even if someone out there does, then...well, I don't know anymore.

Zing

Banned
Please tell me that this "2DS" label shown is either a sticker, or Europe-only. I've bought games with the old 2DS style sticker on the shrink wrap. It will be fugly to have it printed right on the cover.

Also wondering if they will actually provide a digital manual for this game on the cart. It's missing from Ocarina. I still haven't confirmed if the digital version of Ocarina has a manual.

Neiteio

You know you've seen true suffering when see people jumping up and down with unbridled joy because NoA didn't mess up the box-art. No more Gold.
Gold boxes suggest medieval high fantasy, and divine destiny, and noble knights in shining armor saving stoic princesses from fairytale castles.

Majora's Mask is not that game. MM is all about "colorful darkness" in a melancholic shadow world of flawed people with broken hearts and broken spirits, people who are hurting but who still have a lot of love to give.

The cover we're getting thankfully conveys all of that. :)

Rich!

Please tell me that this "2DS" label shown is either a sticker, or Europe-only. I've bought games with the old 2DS style sticker on the shrink wrap. It will be fugly to have it printed right on the cover.

Also wondering if they will actually provide a digital manual for this game on the cart. It's missing from Ocarina. I still haven't confirmed if the digital version of Ocarina has a manual.

2DS labels are europe only.

Digital Ocarina of Time 3D has a digital manual (I own it).

oh man oh man, I am sooo hyped!!

It feels real now. I've been waiting since OOT 3D was first unveiled back at E3 2010 to be able to get my hands on a Majora's Mask remaster...and now I have it ordered....and it's a beautiful special edition too!

Majora's Mask is one of my favorite Zelda games despite not being a traditional Zelda game. The whole "go to a section of the world, find a way into the dungeon, solve the dungeon" isn't too great here, but it does so much right that every Zelda since hasn't done as well.
It has a ton of side quest where you interact with the residents of clock town and help them out with their problems.
Social Links before Persona 3
It's really great. The world being on a clock means everyone's movements are predetermined so they are doing something different every day.
Solving people's problems and getting masks is great. The whole masks system is amazing and it needs to come back. They all have a function alongside changing how you look.
Being able to play as the different races is really well done too.
Although somewhat underwhelmed about it visually, I'm exited.
I wonder if there will be any *new* 3DS improvements. Like C-Stick ocarina, camera control, dual stick aiming/moving, etc

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Clearly that Amazon US box art is placeholder. Can someone goldify it for us so that we can get an idea of what to actually expect?

;p

Lunar15

It's kind of funny seeing the overwhelmingly positive feelings about MM. When I was a kid, I felt like I was the only one who liked it. Most people I knew hated the time thing and said it wasn't enough like OOT. Now, I still personally prefer OOT by a slight margin, but I definitely loved MM and only liked it more over time.

Then again, it's also seeing a lot of the people who are drooling over MM completely write off SS, despite the fact that the two work in very similar ways. Central town with a lot of quests, "empty" overworld that connects to separate areas with very linear tasks to be done before entering dungeons, etc. In fact, that's one of the reasons I really loved SS: I felt that it took a lot of inspiration from MM in terms of pacing. But they are different, so I get why people are still indifferent towards it.

The other anomaly are people who are huge MM fans that complain about long, tedious beginnings in later games. MM has a pretty long, tedious beginning.

But hey, everyone's entitled to their opinion, and the pace and tone of each game often paints things in different lights for different people.

DNAbro

Majora's Mask is one of my favorite Zelda games despite not being a traditional Zelda game. The whole "go to a section of the world, find a way into the dungeon, solve the dungeon" isn't too great here, but it does so much right that every Zelda since hasn't done as well.
It has a ton of side quest where you interact with the residents of clock town and help them out with their problems.
Social Links before Persona 3
It's really great. The world being on a clock means everyone's movements are predetermined so they are doing something different every day.
Solving people's problems and getting masks is great. The whole masks system is amazing and it needs to come back. They all have a function alongside changing how you look.
Being able to play as the different races is really well done too.
Although somewhat underwhelmed about it visually, I'm exited.
I wonder if there will be any *new* 3DS improvements. Like C-Stick ocarina, camera control, dual stick aiming/moving, etc

You know now that I think of it, the tasks do remind me of social links. Probably explains why MM is my fav and Persona 4 my second fav.

Doczu

Any retailer ships this game out of UK? The only one i find is the official Nintendo store and i can't send it to Poland :(

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It's kind of funny seeing the overwhelmingly positive feelings about MM. When I was a kid, I felt like I was the only one who liked it. Most people I knew hated the time thing and said it wasn't enough like OOT. Now, I still personally prefer OOT by a slight margin, but I definitely loved MM and only liked it more over time.

Then again, it's also seeing a lot of the people who are drooling over MM completely write off SS, despite the fact that the two work in very similar ways. Central town with a lot of quests, "empty" overworld that connects to separate areas with very linear tasks to be done before entering dungeons, etc. In fact, that's one of the reasons I really loved SS: I felt that it took a lot of inspiration from MM in terms of pacing. But they are different, so I get why people are still indifferent towards it.

I have a ton of issues with the way SS played out. Somewhere inside of it, there is a solid 20 hour game that got dragged out twice as long as it had any right being. Easily my least favorite Zelda game overall.

But I do actually fall in that first group. I wasn't a fan of MM when I first played it, and I didn't really get far at all before dropping it. I gave it another shot after WW came out and it clicked.

Rich!

Any retailer ships this game out of UK? The only one i find is the official Nintendo store and i can't send it to Poland :(

Nope. GAME likely wont either.

You'll have to wait for a retailer in mainland EU, or hope for another solution.

K' Dash

There is an Owl Statue sitting in front of each dungeon. It's very easy just to restart time, then slow it down, warp to the statue and then do the dungeon.

There's really no reason not to.

There is enough time to do the dungeons without slowing time, when you reach the dungeon just warp back to Clock Town, save your rupees and rewind, warp to the dungeon and finish it, there's plenty of time to do everything.

Rich!

There is enough time to do the dungeons without slowing time, when you reach the dungeon just warp back to Clock Town, save your rupees and rewind, warp to the dungeon and finish it, there's plenty of time to do everything.

yep

especially if you have this:

Bunny_Hood_(Majora%27s_Mask).png

Neiteio

OH FUCK IT'S RERAL

HYYYYYYPE

MAJORAS MASK I WAS RIGHT YES!

Ohh yeah!! Keeping the 3DS!!

Majora's fucking Mask.

Oh my god...Majora's Mask...

THURSDAY TON IT IS THURSDAY IN JAPAN

MAJORA'S MASK YES

MAJORAAAAAAAAA

majora's mask!!!!

EXPAND DONG

MAJAOROROFODOLDAS MASK

Thank you god

YEEEEESSSSSS MAJORA'S MASK 3D

GAF MELTDOWN INCOMING

ITS HAPPENING

Majora's Mask 3D. Mother of god.

!!!!!!!!!!

:O MM3D!!!

FUCK YES FINALLY!

MAJORAS MASK #~DEAD

MAJORAAAAAAAAA

MAJORA'S MASK AFASGFAPGOEAGAEG

Majora's Mask, alright.

Freak out GAF!

MOJORASAAA

Majora's Mask???? :D

MAJORA'S MASK 3D BITCHESSS YESSSSS

oh shit, Majora's Mask happened!!

Majoras mask 3DS!!!!

OH SHIIIIIIIT

HOLY SHIT YES.

I know that music :0

wooooooooooooooo

HOLY SHIT MAJORA

YESSSSS!!!! MEGATON No. 1!!!

Oh my lord hold me gaf

OPEN WITH THE MEGATON MM3D

YOOOOOOOOOOO

MAJORA'S MASK

HOLY SHIIIIIIIT!!!!!

MM 3ds spring 2015 Kreygasm Kreygasm Kreygasm

HOLY SHIIIIIT

BOOM

MAJORA'S MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASK! IT'S HAPPENING!

Holy shit! Majora confirmed.

MAJORA"S MAAAASSSKKK

Majora?????

*adjusts monocle*

Hmm... Yes... Yes, I see... Hmm...

It would appear the hype is real.

Top Bottom