• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3DS announced!

Is Grezzo making this one as well? They did a fantastic job with OoT 3D.
That's a given.

Travel back to June 2014...

Grezzo seeking new staffers:

Grezzo seeking new staffers, asks: “Would you like to make a ‘legend’ with us?”

Grezzo, the developer behind The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D and The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition, has put up a couple of new job listings. One of the pages on the company’s website states, “Would you like to make a ‘legend’ with us?” That’s leading to speculation that Grezzo could be cooking up something with Zelda, though that’s far from confirmed.

Here’s how things are described by GameFAQs’ sunny_red51:

I think this is somewhat telling. They do use “Densetsu,” which means “Legend” and is the same word used in “The Legend of Zelda (Zeruda no Densetsu),” like you said. They could have used “story” or “tale” or “world” or any other concept, but they specifically used “legend.” Of course, “legend” (“densetsu”) could just be what they always use, so it could just be coincidence, too.

From the job descriptions, it looks like there are two different types of positions, for this particular project maybe, programmers and planners. Under each, they have positions that last at least six months and positions that last at least one year, with the possibilty for each to be extended. Under programmer, they list “character control, camera, UI support, map management, game progression management, etc.” (roughly translated).

Under planner, they list “text supervision, script and data creation supervision, and level design supervision” (roughly translated). It does kind of sound like a Zelda game, but it might not be MM 3D. It looks like they made the Zelda Four Swords Anniversary Edition, too, so it could be something like that or something new altogether.
Source: http://nintendoeverything.com/grezz...asks-would-you-like-to-make-a-legend-with-us/

3bdelilah

Banned
Hmm, the Special Edition is £45 on the UK store, how much would that usually be in €? I'm aware that it's roughly €60, but I don't know how Nintendo does the conversion. Wouldn't really mind €60 for this SE to be honest, which probably means the regular version will be €50?

Rich!

Spring is until June 20th.

I meant june 30th.

I cannot fucking believe this is something a real person just typed.

I agree with him. I have a huge dislike for games that force endless cutscenes and excessive "cinematic" bullshit at you. Games that allow you to discover the world like yourself such as Dark Souls and Majora's Mask are far, far better for myself.

There is already a 3DS emulator in development:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/citra-new-3ds-emulator.365154/

In a few years, you'll likely be able to play Majora's Mask 3D in full 1080p with decent AA on your HDTV with a controller.

...buy the 20fps NTSC/16fps PAL N64 VC version when a superior definitive version is available on the 3DS? Uh, why would you suggest that? Terrible advice, as he was clearly asking about 3DS games.

I certainly hope so. I just hate that Nintendo still won't add a streaming-to-TV option. Hopefully their next gen platforms will.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Hmm, the Special Edition is £45 on the UK store, how much would that usually be in €? I'm aware that it's roughly €60, but I don't know how Nintendo does the conversion. Wouldn't really mind €60 for this SE to be honest, which probably means the regular version will be €50?
Nintendo always charges the top end. So they may charge £40 for a game and everyone else may only charge around £30. So if you happy with the regular version don't go with what Nintendo themselves are charging. Since the LE is usually limited to them and GAME you're pretty much stuck with the price they are asking.

Rich!

That'd be amazing. Great idea.

heh, it would make no difference to me. hell, I'm going to be pretty much going to be playing this shit 24/7 when its released. fuck suspend mode, and sleep in real life along with other pointless distractions. this is majora's sodding mask

Nintendo always charges the top end. So they may charge £40 for a game and everyone else may only charge around £30. So if you happy with the regular version don't go with what Nintendo themselves are charging. Since the LE is usually limited to them and GAME you're pretty much stuck with the price they are asking.

I personally think £45 with free shipping is fair for what we're getting. Considering America isn't getting it at all.

TheMoon

...buy the 20fps NTSC/16fps PAL N64 VC version when a superior definitive version is available on the 3DS? Uh, why would you suggest that? Terrible advice, as he was clearly asking about 3DS games.

Because that's an easy and legal alternative, if his wife simply playing the game herself isn't an option...

Neo Child

Banned
SO PSYCHED for this

when will they announce new modes/features?

also please bring Four Swords back to the eShop, why remove it? I WILL PAY FOR IT GOT DAYUM (its not as good as FS for the GameCube but it's fun)!

maybe four swords adventures could be a great 3DS port? work really well, 4player local/online, bottom screen = gba screen!

Solid 30 FPS alone will make playing this game noticeably better

I know!

I am very excited.

I started becoming very sensitive to low framerates and wild fluctuations right around the DC era. I start getting motion sickness if they are on the extreme low end, or fall to the low end. Honestly my biggest problem with Dragon's Dogma is how wildly the framerate fluctuates between 30fps down to like 5 fps during demanding scenes.

Majora was never that bad, but it was enough in all incarnations that I could never get very far. The other point was... and this is graphic whorish... I couldn't get past the low poly look that everything had. I was completely willing to leave the N64 generation behind when I picked up my DC, PS2, Cube, and Xbox.

Because that's an easy and legal alternative, if his wife simply playing the game herself isn't an option...

Right, but I was just using it as one example out of many. The gameplay may have aged well for Majora's Mask, but the graphics and frame rate certainly have not.

Rich!

Calling out emulation as "not legal" is not only incorrect (discussion of emulation is openly welcomed on GAF), but will also lead to arguments on here...as it always does.

But even so, I wouldn't ever recommend someone the N64 version now that the 3DS version is confirmed. OOT 3DS is by far the definitive version of OOT, and MM 3D will be the same.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I personally think £45 with free shipping is fair for what we're getting. Considering America isn't getting it at all.
And you can get a free Mario or Luigi hat with it as well which is quite nice.

Still going to give it some thought though. If I can get the regular for much a decent price I may swap out. All I really like is the pin badge.

Rich!

And you can get a free Mario or Luigi hat with it as well which is quite nice.

Still going to give it some thought though. If I can get the regular for much a decent price I may swap out. All I really like is the pin badge.

I wish I knew that before I ordered the bloody thing...ah well!

My only reservation is that I may not get this special edition until after release day...as Nintendo's UK Store is slow as fuck. In that case, I may just buy it digitally on the night and then sell the standard case I get in the DX edition for £30 brand new on ebay (it'll be sealed inside). That way, I still get the game on launch night, and I also get the limited edition shit for the grand total of £15.

seems like the best option imo!

zruben

Banned
mUvTXZ4.jpg

It's not gold! IT'S NOT GOLD!

Majora's Mask is allowed to be different.

MMBoxArt.jpg

McNum

That'd be amazing. Great idea.
I figured that if there are two split opinions about the save and time management system in Majora's Mask, both should have a mode that caters to them. One that limits the impact and one that really forces you to feel the crunch.

A Hero Mode of Majora's Mask really should up the threat of the moon itself. As people have said, getting mooned isn't really a danger in normal play. So make it one in Hero Mode. Imagine setting your 3DS down, and picking it back up, only to see the moon crashing cutscene. (And the first time it happens, it displays a "helpful" little tip: "Time does not pause while the 3DS is suspended in Hero Mode.")

mantidor

I don't see it that way. Maybe a lot of people genuinely like the game and have always liked it since the day they first played it?

Well they certainly weren't around back in 2000. It felt very lonely to be a MM fan :p

Oh boy, I'm not looking forward to the backlash :(. I'll be happy that more people get to experience this game though. It's definitely not perfect.

Hopefully people will give it a chance. The thing is that the game is about repetition, and many do not like repetition, they hate it, is the one thing that people complain the most about the franchise. That is stale, that is the same temples, same way to get items, etc, etc. They hate stuff like the Temple of the Ocean King when in its core gameplay is very similar to MM, you have to redo stuff over and over but with more things you gain you can redo them much faster. But you have to redo them anyway.

Majora's Mask is darker than most, if not all Zeldas, but I wouldn't call it a DARK game. It's truly a game about hope, imo, which is the opposite of dark. There is a terrible, ominous figure above you at all times, haunting you and the figures of Clock Town, but your job as the player isn't just to save the world, but to provide hope and reason for everyone in it to exist.

I think this makes it darker, or, lets say, more "mature", in the actual sense of the word. You deal with personal stuff and specially with death in a way few games do.

I agree with him. I have a huge dislike for games that force endless cutscenes and excessive "cinematic" bullshit at you. Games that allow you to discover the world like yourself such as Dark Souls and Majora's Mask are far, far better for myself.

The existence of something you don't like doesn't make it 'forced'. Please get a grip on the real world.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yeah, I always liked that green box design. OoT's gold against black PAL box was also superior.

SegaShack

I cannot fucking believe this is something a real person just typed.

Let me explain this in depth if you don't understand.

Story and atmosphere done right: Cutscenes are brief and minimal. Deeper parts of the story are learned through interacting with characters at the players will and exploring the environment. This way those who want to know more about the games story can look at every environment in detail and talk to every NPC. This is the interactive way to do story and is more subtle.

Story and atmosphere done wrong: Cutscenes can be long and interrupt the players current actions, sometimes even a simple thing like opening a door takes control away from the player to show a cut scene of the door opening.. The player has to sift through a lot of dialogue, whether they want to or not, because the developer is forcing the story on them. The developer would rather flat out tell you the story (and make you hear it) than let the player learn more about it on their own.

Ocarina and Majora's Mask are better games for letting the player learn and figure out the deeper parts of the stories by their own will. It feels interactive and reminds me of what makes gaming so different from film. When you just flat out tell the player every part of the story, and force them to listen, it becomes dull and boring.

The construction man's monster son and the Skull Kid in Ocarina of Time come to mind. Majora's Mask is literally filled with all these unique special stories that the player discovers on their own.

Neo Child

Banned
I think this makes it darker, or, lets say, more "mature", in the actual sense of the word. You deal with personal stuff and specially with death in a way few games do.

It's darker, more mature, and definately deals with peoples personal struggles definately as you say - but given the fact that Termina and it's inhabitants are saved and hope is restored makes the game not really dark.

I mean, of course it could be dark, it depends on how the writers intended it to be seen and how it is perceived. I haven't played the game to completion, but I have seen the ending on the
moon
and made significant progress through the game.

Either way, I do wish Nintendo would create a Zelda similar to Majoras Mask, Ocarina of Time and Links Awakening - the way they dealt with various themes is subtly fantastic and is definatley missing amongst more recent Zelda games.

Let me explain this in depth if you don't understand.

Story and atmosphere done right: Cutscenes are brief and minimal. Deeper parts of the story are learned through interacting with characters at the players will and exploring the environment. This way those who want to know more about the games story can look at every environment in detail and talk to every NPC. This is the interactive way to do story and is more subtle.

Story and atmosphere done wrong: Cutscenes can be long and interrupt the players current actions, sometimes even a simple thing like opening a door takes control away from the player to show a cut scene of the door opening.. The player has to sift through a lot of dialogue, whether they want to or not, because the developer is forcing the story on them. The developer would rather flat out tell you the story (and make you hear it) than let the player learn more about it on their own.

Ocarina and Majora's Mask are better games for letting the player learn and figure out the deeper parts of the stories by their own will. It feels interactive and reminds me of what makes gaming so different from film. When you just flat out tell the player every part of the story, and force them to listen, it becomes dull and boring.

The construction man's monster son and the Skull Kid in Ocarina of Time come to mind. Majora's Mask is literally filled with all these unique special stories that the player discovers on their own.

I understood full well what you meant. But again, the existence of something you don't like doesn't make it 'forced'. It's like me saying MM has forced dungeons because the majority of them are awful.

wrowa

Yeah, I always liked that green box design. OoT's gold against black PAL box was also superior.

I always loved Ocarina of Time's PAL box. That thing looks fantastic. With that gold logo on the black background it really looked like something special. The Japanese boxart was really great too, though.

The American one on the other hand...

TheMoon

Calling out emulation as "not legal" is not only incorrect (discussion of emulation is openly welcomed on GAF), but will also lead to arguments on here...as it always does.

But even so, I wouldn't ever recommend someone the N64 version now that the 3DS version is confirmed. OOT 3DS is by far the definitive version of OOT, and MM 3D will be the same.

I never directly called out emulation as anything, just explained my recommendation as what it is. What you infer from that has nothing to do with what I said^^

I'm also not recommending him the N64 original over the 3DS version. He wants to play MM "for" his wife. Since you can't do that really with a 3DS, I recommended the quick, easy, painless and perfectly acceptable method of VC. I played the game for the first time last year on an actual N64 and had a blast so it didn't suddenly turn into an unplayable mess. He can obviously still play MM3D ...

Anyway, I just tried to suggest an easy solution to the problem lol.

I always loved Ocarina of Time's PAL box. That thing looks fantastic. With that gold logo on the black background it really looked like something special. The Japanese boxart was really great too, though.

The American one on the other hand...

NA box designs for the Zelda N64 games are atrocious.

PAL designs have superior classy designs. Love 'em love 'em love 'em!

It makes it more mature, yes, and it IS more dark than most Zeldas, but many people act like it's this deeply disturbing tale of woe. I really think it's a happy story, in the end, about overcoming fear and developing the will to hope for life.

Rich!

The existence of something you don't like doesn't make it 'forced'. Please get a grip on the real world.

Being forced to sit through unskippable cutscenes is indeed "forced" by every definition of the word - and I don't like games that force you to watch extensive cinematic cutscenes, such as most AAA games nowadays. I don't have time for that shit. I want to play games, not bloody watch them.

No need to get angry about it, it's just my opinion! People can play whatever the hell they like, doesn't mean I have to enjoy it too!

Shads

I might have to get a 3DS now. I've always wanted to play this game out of all the 3D Zeldas and I even owned Majora's Mask on N64 and GameCube, but never got around to playing it ever, so maybe third time's the charm. Somehow I feel more inclined to play it if it was on a portable.

Neo Child

Banned
I understood full well what you meant. But again, the existence of something you don't like doesn't make it 'forced'. It's like me saying MM has forced dungeons because the majority of them are awful.

maybe you played a different skyward sword from everybody else then

cause nothing can justify that game

and for anyone to have some other opinion is just ridiculous.

I actually disagree with everyone saying Majora should not be your first Zelda game. It was my first, and what made me fall in love with the series and explore the other games.

Coming into Majora's Mask without any preconceptions or expectations for what a Zelda game is "supposed to be like" just makes you more open-minded and willing to embrace the unique mechanics found only in this game. I honestly wonder sometimes if I would have given the game the chance it deserved if I had already been a longtime Zelda fan prior to playing it for the first time.

I didn't play Ocarina of Time for the first time until after completing Majora's Mask, so many years ago. And when I did I actually felt put off by the absence of a time mechanic. The world in OoT felt so much more static and unchanging due to the absence of the feature. Termina on the other hand felt truly alive.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
All of these people getting together to criticize Skyward Sword warms my heart on the cold day. I never liked Majora's Mask as much as most other Zelda's, but even in its weirdness Majora's Mask is more of a Zelda game then SS will ever be.

Rich!

While you're listening to those incredible arrangements, just remember that not only will Majora's Mask 3D not have enhanced music in any way, there are people in this very thread who want it that way..

I listen to the Majora's Mask soundtrack on almost a weekly basis from start to near-end.

I wouldn't change it for the world. It's still fantastic, and the audio design is top tier. It's of its age, yeah - but would you go back to an old 90s/80s album (like say, Pretty Hate Machine) and completely re-do it from new to get rid of the original sound? No. You wouldn't. You'd keep it the way it is, because that's how it should be.

I listen to the Majora's Mask soundtrack on almost a weekly basis from start to near-end.

I wouldn't change it for the world. It's still fantastic, and the audio design is top tier. It's of its age, yeah - but would you go back to an old 90s/80s album (like say, Pretty Hate Machine) and completely re-do it from new to get rid of the original sound? No. You wouldn't. You'd keep it the way it is, because that's how it should be.

I love the original Super Mario Bros. 3 to death. I love the simple color economy the stages in the game use: bright blue sky, green and orange rectangular blocks, clouds with red swirls and gold coins everywhere.

And yet Super Mario All-Stars was certainly a thing. Redrawn graphics, massively expanded palette, and rearranged music too. Didn't really destroy the magic of the game despite not being how it should be.

Edit: Also, you can't play the "enhanced port" vs. "remake" card here, because that's exactly what SMB3 All-stars was, an enhanced port, just like OoT 3D.

BY2K

Membero Americo
You know what, I'd like it if they would bring back the Collector's Edition Holographic cartridge for the boxart, says for a first print or something.

OceanBlue

I hope the 3DS version removes time progression during dungeons. Please remove Forced Difficulty and encourage only proper gameplay mechanics in future video games to encourage Natural Difficulty.

I don't think people should be comparing the visuals of this too heavily to the original, TBH. Of course it's the same game so comparisons are going to be made, but they're going for a bit different style this time, which I think thus far is actually being pulled off quite well. The colors are a lot more vibrant and in your face than previously. So yes, some scenes might look a bit different and more light-hearted than previously, but in the context of this specific rendition of the game it might not come across that way. Screens such as these:

LoZMM_Nov052014_01.bmp
LoZMM_Nov052014_10.bmp
LoZMM_Nov052014_09.bmp

..do a good job indicating the mood of the game which, to me, looks just as, if not more atmospheric than its predecessor.

OceanBlue

I don't think people should be comparing the visuals of this too heavily to the original, TBH. Of course it's the same game so comparisons are going to be made, but they're going for a bit different style this time, which I think thus far is actually being pulled off quite well. The colors are a lot more vibrant and in your face than previously. So yes, some scenes might look a bit different and more light-hearted than previously, but in the context of this specific rendition of the game it might not come across that way. Screens such as these:

..do a good job indicating the mood of the game which, to me, looks just as, if not more atmospheric than its predecessor.

I actually like the visual comparisons because there are a few instances already where you can see better visuals assisting in creating a story for a location. I feel like Icana Canyon sticks out as a pretty good example. I don't remember too many instances of dark and gloomy environments anyway. Termina managed to balance being a "dying" world while staying colorful at the same time.

Persona7

Banned
You know what, I'd like it if they would bring back the Collector's Edition Holographic cartridge for the boxart, says for a first print or something.

that would be cool. can they do with the stickers on 3DS games? On N64 it wasn't a sticker like all the other games.

There's an old quote from two E3s ago that I just remembered and found...

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...a_talks_dlc_missing_dungeons_and_majoras_mask
NL: Fans have often said that they'd like to see a 3D remake of Majora's Mask, just as there was one of Ocarina of Time. There were rumours that it was a possibility - is that still the case, or are you focusing on new games from now on?

Aonuma: You've heard rumours? [laughs] Hmm, I wonder! [laughs again]

NL: I would be very excited myself, it's one of my favourites of the series.

Aonuma: Majora's Mask is a very special game - it's the real hardcore who like that one. If we were to make a remake of that one then we wouldn't want to let them down. We'd have to put our heart and soul into it. So, you say you’ve heard rumours, but I have to say it would be quite a commitment to do that.

Does this give anyone else hope that we might be receiving something of a bit more depth and quality that OoT3D? Perhaps there will be ways to make this not only appeal to people less inclined to play it, but content to make it more worthwhile to the longtime fans as well. I'm really hoping he lives up to this quote. I'd be content with a simple port with better visuals and even a mode to make it easier for newcomers, yes, I'm not expecting much else, but if they went the extra mile and include content that only the hardcore would be able to enjoy (Retooled dungeons that are more difficult than ever, perhaps a mode with a FASTER clock even!?) then I think that I'd fall in love with this game again.

Top Bottom