• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3DS announced!

I love Majora's Mask. Obviously excited for the remake. It would be fantastic if they add some new content somehow, whether it's a Master Quest or just extra stuff to do. Completing the bombers notebook as a kid was probably one of my bigger achievements at the time in terms of video games.

I never did like the Great Bay Temple though. But mannn all of those side quests.

Rich!

You know the new moon design? Its kinda freaky right? Well, now imagine the new design in the scene where
it comes alive, talks, threatens to eat everyone and opens its mouth.

Im scared already.

Persona7

Banned
They can do it with a sticker for literally anything.

My edit didn't save but I was going to say that the N64 hologram card protrudes slightly, I don't know if they can do that with a hologram card on a 3DS cartridge because there is hardly any extra space in the slot.

Firemind

I love Majora's Mask. Obviously excited for the remake. It would be fantastic if they add some new content somehow, whether it's a Master Quest or just extra stuff to do. Completing the bombers notebook as a kid was probably one of my bigger achievements at the time in terms of video games.

I never did like the Great Bay Temple though. But mannn all of those side quests.
I always get hopelessly lost there for some reason, then have less than five minutes to beat Gyorg. Luckily you can beat him in one minute.

Rich!

My edit didn't save but I was going to say that the N64 hologram card protrudes slightly, I don't know if they can do that with a hologram card on a 3DS cartridge because there is hardly any extra space in the slot.

Ohh, yeah. Thats because the N64 cart has a lenticular label, not a hologram. 3DS cart wouldnt be able to have that - it would have to be a holographic label like those on credit cards and copies of Windows.

The real issue is this:

Lenticular = cheap
Holographic = not as cheap.

Persona7

Banned
Ohh, yeah. Thats because the N64 cart has a lenticular label, not a hologram. 3DS cart wouldnt be able to have that - it would have to be a holographic label like those on credit cards and copies of Windows.

The real issue is this:

Lenticular = cheap

Oh right, Lenticular. I couldn't remember the exact word.

It looks like this

1920px-Close_up_of_the_surface_of_a_lenticular_print.jpg

Sadly no revamped lighting engine or more detailed shadows. The 3DS should be capable of hanndling that.

Anyway, given that this game shares so many art assets with the Ocarina remastering i do wonder why it took so long to be released. Hopefully there are lots of small touches and maybe a more polished modernized interface.

Let's hope the upgraded PICTOBOX makes an apperance in the game. With all the interesting characters it would be great for selfies.

And of course here's hoping it uses some of the enhanced New 3DS capabilities, specially C stick controlled camera.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I don't think people should be comparing the visuals of this too heavily to the original, TBH. Of course it's the same game so comparisons are going to be made, but they're going for a bit different style this time, which I think thus far is actually being pulled off quite well. The colors are a lot more vibrant and in your face than previously. So yes, some scenes might look a bit different and more light-hearted than previously, but in the context of this specific rendition of the game it might not come across that way. Screens such as these:

LoZMM_Nov052014_01.bmp
LoZMM_Nov052014_10.bmp
LoZMM_Nov052014_09.bmp

..do a good job indicating the mood of the game which, to me, looks just as, if not more atmospheric than its predecessor.

That red tinted Clocktown shot is just magnificient, just brings home the apocalyptic atmosphere perfectly. I really dig how the sky is almost a deep purple now rather than blue.

It's okay, but really not a significantly bigger jump than PS1=>Dreamcast ports. Except that this one is almost 15 years late, lol. I was pleasantly surprised especially by the 3D effect in OoT, which made the game look much better in person, but in the end, I was still relieved getting it through some 2+1 free sale on Amazon, instead of paying full price. Hopefully there's some offers coming for this game when N3DS hits. It might be the best game ever made, but it's still just an enhanced N64 port in 2015.

SirNinja

Just realised something:

The Legend of Zelda (NES): 3DS and Wii U virtual console
Zelda II: AoL (NES): 3DS and Wii U vc
Link to the Past (SNES): Wii U vc
Link's Awakening (GB): 3DS vc
Ocarina of Time (N64): 3DS remake
Oracles (GBC): 3DS vc
Majora's Mask (N64): 3DS remake
Four Swords (GBA): DSi/3DS download
Wind Waker (GCN): Wii U HD remaster
Minish Cap (GBA): 3DS ambassador title/Wii U vc
Four Swords Adventures (GCN): n/a
Twilight Princess (Wii): Wii U backwards compatibility
Phantom Hourglass (DS): 3DS bc
Spirit Tracks (DS): 3DS bc
Skyward Sword (Wii): Wii U bc
A Link Between Worlds (3DS): 3DS game

Apart from Four Swords Adventures for Gamecube, every Zelda title is now available to play across Nintendo's current gen platforms. That's pretty amazing.

That's pretty awesome, actually. I remember Nintendo themselves used to talk up a similar point in 2003 when they released the "Collector's Edition" Zelda on the Gamecube:

gfs_52155_1_12_mid.jpg

I remember being so psyched to play Majora's Mask at increased resolution (640x480, woo!). Unfortunately the game had tons of sound issues (especially while transitioning between areas), the framerate was usually terrible, especially in Clock Town, and the game had a very nasty habit of occasionally crashing. Taught me to frequently save at owl statues then copy my save to the other slot just to ensure I wouldn't lose any progress. </rant>

The real issue is this:

Lenticular = cheap

Holograms can't be that expensive, I remember when boxes of Frosties had them. :D
s1VrNfVl.jpg

They are meant to be expensive to duplicate though, which is why they are on credit cards and other certificates.

Mistle

Off to preorder the special edition in Australia.

Apparently it's "extremely limited", according to a friend who preordered earlier today.

Vibranium

Banned
Man I can't wait, I'm really happy Nintendo announced it now, all the teasing was getting to me ahaha.

I hope MM3D kicks ass in sale numbers, it is truly an awesome Zelda game. I'm gonna see my creepy old pal The Moon again.

Yrael

Who is selling it in Aussie? I can't find anything for NZ yet, not even at EB.

EB Games does have it listed on their website:

Also releasing at launch, and to be available for pre-order from selected retailers, The Legend of Zelda: Majora&#8217;s Mask 3D Special Edition is a limited quantity software offering including a specially-designed SteelBook&#8482;, a copy of the game delivered in its standalone packaging, a Majora&#8217;s Mask pin badge, and a double-sided poster showcasing the game&#8217;s iconic art style.

https://ebgames.com.au/3ds-157957-The-Legend-of-Zelda-Majoras-Mask-3D-Nintendo-3DS

I'm going to nip in to a store today and ask them about it.

Edit: Also EB Games in Victoria have confirmed they're taking pre-orders.

There's an old quote from two E3s ago that I just remembered and found...

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...a_talks_dlc_missing_dungeons_and_majoras_mask

Does this give anyone else hope that we might be receiving something of a bit more depth and quality that OoT3D? Perhaps there will be ways to make this not only appeal to people less inclined to play it, but content to make it more worthwhile to the longtime fans as well.

In my mind this means new masks. A new subquest. The ability to play as Fierce Deity Link anywhere in the game (which was once part of the game, and only got removed due to the memory limitations of the N64). Hell, a new Ocarina song for faster, or even slower time. None of those things would be difficult for Nintendo to add to the game.

But I'm not keeping my fingers crossed. This is Nintendo, after all.

Altazor

On a very different note - I'm sure I'm not the only one that can hear the similarities between the Deku Palace theme (one of my favorites!) and Dead Can Dance's Saltarello.

Tookay

Anyway, given that this game shares so many art assets with the Ocarina remastering i do wonder why it took so long to be released. Hopefully there are lots of small touches and maybe a more polished modernized interface.
I think it's more of a business consideration than anything. They need to give the Zelda releases time to breathe and sell through their audience. Plus they wanted to push their original Zelda (ALBW) and not have it overshadowed by the cult favorite remake.

And they probably were waiting for gaps in the 3DS release schedule to greenlight this.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
In my mind this means new masks. A new subquest. The ability to play as Fierce Deity Link anywhere in the game (which was once part of the game, and only got removed due to the memory limitations of the N64). Hell, a new Ocarina song for faster, or even slower time. None of those things would be difficult for Nintendo to add to the game.

But I'm not keeping my fingers crossed. This is Nintendo, after all.
Those are already in the game.

So I was thinking about the few changes to this game I'd be OK with.

The egg hunt. Unless you have all 4 bottles in the game you have to make multiple trips to Pirate's Fortress (can't recall if this is even possible at that point), and maybe even Pinnacle Rock. I'd like to see link receive some sort of quest-specific container that lets him hold all the eggs instead to avoid this repetition.

The Gibdo maze. I'd like to see this reworked so that all the requested items are already in the maze, and this fact to be clearly stated to the player.

As far as additional content goes. This game would actually lend itself well to additional sidequests and even an additional optional story-focused dungeon. I'm hesitant to see this kind of stuff added but I'm open to it.
I wouldn't mind some sort of follow up to what happens after Link returns to his search for Navi.
Mark those, please. It'll be my first time through. Gotta stay out of this thread.
Ok... fine. Maybe we need a new thread for this kind of talk.
If this remake hints at a third entry to the Hero of Time's journey I will flip.

I've waited 14 years...
Would be huge. Bring back Yoshiaki Koizumi to Zelda to head the game. I'll flip. He can gift the world with another amazing game system (creator of Z-targeting and 3-day time system).

Portugeezer

My eyes... want to look away, but it's hard .

As the fellow said, spoiler tag that shit; not nice. (I didn't read so I don't know if a big spoiler but, spoiler coming read this spoiler)

My eyes... want to look away, but it's hard .

As the fellow said, spoiler tag that shit; not nice. (I didn't read so I don't know if a big spoiler but, spoiler coming read this spoiler)
Not a big spoiler, but corrected.

If only because I love this game so much and hope new players can enjoy it in its full unspoiled glory.

So I was thinking about the few changes to this game I'd be OK with.

Spoilers ahead, though it seems the 'haven't played it yets' are in the minority

The egg hunt. Unless you have all 4 bottles in the game you have to make multiple trips to Pirate's Fortress (can't recall if this is even possible at that point), and maybe even Pinnacle Rock. I'd like to see link receive some sort of quest-specific container that lets him hold all the eggs instead to avoid this repetition.

There are
six bottles
in the game.
Four
of which are obtainable before ever going to
Great Bay
. I don't remember having a problem with that, but I always do everything possible before moving on.

There are
six bottles
in the game.
Four
of which are obtainable before ever going to
Great Bay
. I don't remember having a problem with that, but I always do everything possible before moving on.
Oh thats right, thanks. Still I can see it as a frustrating point, especially with how many are (apparently) going into the game blind.

Vidiot

Is it weird that one of the most exciting things about this announcement to me is that we might get new Skull Kid or Fierce Deity figures too? I missed the boat on the f4f statues of these two characters years ago and fuck the fortune they cost on ebay now. I'd be perfectly fine with amiibos even.

Tookay

Well, I'm sure there's still a story about how he became a
skeleton
after all.
He didn't become a
skeleton
... that's his dream-world incarnation. He's just a
lingering spirit who was unable to pass on his knowledge.

BowieZ

Banned
If this remake hints at a third entry to the Hero of Time's journey I will flip.

I've waited 14 years...
It would surely have to be for 3DS, right? Which means they would need to release it probably by mid-to-late 2016, barely a year after MM3D.

Or I suppose they could release it on the follow-up portable system, but then it sort of becomes separated from the trilogy, and just like any other Zelda game. Maybe they could bundle it together with the two prequels or something?

zeldablue

It would surely have to be for 3DS, right? Which means they would need to release it probably by mid-to-late 2016, barely a year after MM3D.

Or I suppose they could release it on the follow-up portable system, but then it sort of becomes separated from the trilogy, and just like any other Zelda game. Maybe they could bundle it together with the two prequels or something?

Uhh...

Yeah, I'd be mad if it was a handheld game. Hmm.

Eblo

You know the new moon design? Its kinda freaky right? Well, now imagine the new design in the scene where
it comes alive, talks, threatens to eat everyone and opens its mouth.

Im scared already.

Yeah, I didn't think I would sleep after getting the game anyway.

javac

Guess I gotta stay out of this thread until this game comes out now, stayed spoiler free from this game for 14 years, not gonna lose now :p

Those are already in the game.

Hence the "even". I'm literally talking about a new song to make time faster or slower, something that's more of a secret than the Inverted Song of Time or Song of Double Time. Like you could skip to the last day, or slow it down to the point that three days would last 4 or 5 hours instead of 3 as with the normal Inverted Song of Time.

Guess I gotta stay out of this thread until this game comes out now, stayed spoiler free from this game for 14 years, not gonna lose now :p
Funny it was a spoiler about a year and a half ago that made me finally realize I wanted to play the game to completion. I followed that with two more playthroughs almost immediately and it has been an instant favorite (if not most favorite).

I'll avoid irony and not list what the spoiler was.

Top Bottom