• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3DS announced!

Herr K

Banned
Uh...no it doesnt.

The amount I am paying for my N3DS XL and 2-5 day postage together from mightyape is a grand total of £170. Whats the RRP of the standard XL here in the UK? £170.

And to avoid the question of possible import tax, you can purchase an import from 365games, based in the UK. £180 for a N3DS XL. Only a £10 increase and no extra charges at all.

Stoooopppppp I can't spend more money on games now, you're tempting me

Grief.exe

Uh...no it doesnt.

The amount I am paying for my N3DS XL and 2-5 day postage together from mightyape is a grand total of £170. Whats the RRP of the standard XL here in the UK? £170.

And to avoid the question of possible import tax, you can purchase an import from 365games, based in the UK. £180 for a N3DS XL. Only a £10 increase and no extra charges at all.

Plus you get the added value of acquiring the N3DS XL early, which would be worth a price premium on its own.

Rich!

Plus you get the added value of acquiring the N3DS XL early, which would be worth a price premium on its own.

Yep. Thats pretty much it.

I cant endure the wait of many months without a western release date knowing that a PAL version is available to buy at a reasonable price right now and with a few days shipping. Its silly not to buy one!

Neiteio

Well, you'd really only be able to use it on two bosses: Gyorg and Odolwa. Goht constantly moves away from you, and goads you into getting closer by shooting lightning at you from across the arena, and Twinmold is too large to effectively fight without the Giant's Mask.

I've forgotten if Gyorg is any easier with the FD mask, although I can't imagine it is. Odolwa is obviously easier.
I remembering fighting all four bosses with the FD Mask. It was especially epic with Twinmold, since they're GIGANTIC when you don't use the Giant's Mask. :-O

Goht, meanwhile, is a war of attrition, but doable. Less risk than the Goron, but takes longer:

Fierce Deity vs. Goht

Fierce Deity vs. Twinmold

Neiteio

I want to click but, then again, I want to revel in my if ignorance brought on by my decade-long absence from Clock Town.
Oh yeah, don't click! I was just providing those to show Beef that the Fierce Deity Mask can be used against the bosses he mentioned.

Beef's right they're not necessarily easier, though, aside from Odolwa and Majora himself.

Neiteio

Every single one of you better buy this.

I still can't believe this is happening. It's a dream come true.
Most perfect thing Nintendo has done since the last perfect thing Nintendo did, which was including an optimized Bayonetta 1 with Bayonetta 2.

I remembering fighting all four bosses with the FD Mask. It was especially epic with Twinmold, since they're GIGANTIC when you don't use the Giant's Mask. :-O

That's nothing, back in the day I defeated Twinmold without the Fierce Deity and Giant's Masks. Took forever, but it was worth it.

3bdelilah

Banned
The normal edition is 51€ in the UK store, and no other 3DS title has costed that much, which means that games there are ridiculously overpriced. I assume the special edition will be close to 45-50€ in other retailers such as Media Markt.

45-50€ for the Special Edition?? I don't know, man. I doubt that. Unless it's different where you're from, but here in the Netherlands regular non-special edition 3DS games are usually priced 45€ at launch (also at Media Markt). I already bore 60€ in mind that I wanted to spend on this SE, so I definitely wouldn't say no to anything less.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
NTSC standard edition preordered and PAL special edition preordered. :D

Fuck you Nintendo of America... unless you guys pull through with an NTSC special/limited edition. Then we'll be cool again.

Seik

Banned
Was there a legit glitch to be able to wear the FD mask anywhere in the original version?

I remember being able to do it with a Gameshark on the N64, but I don't know about anything legit.

zeldarocks

Neo Member
Hey guys, I noticed that some of you were scared that Nintendo might be changing the way time works inside the dungeons.

After re-watching the trailer, I noticed that time does indeed pass within Great Bay temple, at regular speed.

http://imgur.com/RRl1Mow

The time indicator is red, indicating regular time; whereas it is blue at the Snowhead entrance, indicating Song of Double Time.

Neiteio

Hey guys, I noticed that some of you were scared that Nintendo might be changing the way time works inside the dungeons.

After re-watching the trailer, I noticed that time does indeed pass within Great Bay temple, at regular speed.

imgur.com/RRl1Mow

Notice the red time indicator, as opposed to the blue one at the entrance to Snowhead.
I'm sure it's like the original game where time still passes and you can still slow down time just like anywhere else.

zeldarocks

Neo Member
Additionally, I noticed that one of the bomber kids says "In that case, lemme give you some helpful information to get you going."

After looking through the N64 Text Dump, I could not find any reference to this dialogue at all.

I believe it is significant that this was shown as Iwata was talking about making the game accessible to newcomers.

Here's the new text:

http://imgur.com/zWad0xX

Rich!

I'm happy with that.

Give a few more details through the dialogue to help new players, and keep the time system exactly as it was on the N64.

Neiteio

Additionally, I noticed that one of the bomber kids says "In that case, lemme give you some helpful information to get you going."

After looking through the N64 Text Dump, I could not find any reference to this dialogue at all.

I believe it is significant that this was shown as Iwata was talking about making the game accessible to newcomers.

Here's the new text:

http://imgur.com/zWad0xX
Oh, good catch! In general, I think it'd be good if they did more to emphasize tips like slowing down time with the Inverted Song of Time, etc.

themagicalkitsune said:
I can predict aggravating gyroscope controls while trying to shoot a decent picture on the boat ride.
IIRC you could disable motion controls on the 3DS version, and I'm sure this will be no different

zeldarocks

Neo Member
By the way guy, what are we to make of the "Go back to the first day" dialogue sans the "save" dialogue?

Additionally, why is Zora Link swimming like a human?

By the way guy, what are we to make of the "Go back to the first day" dialogue sans the "save" dialogue?

Additionally, why is Zora Link swimming like a human?

I think that might be a replacement of the recycled Adult Link swimming animation that was used when not swimming at full speed -- and if so, that would be a huge improvement.

Doczu

I realize that obviously, after so many years I've abandoned hope (though the new publisher seems to be trying) but the recent Limited Editions were all readily available, like Wind Waker, Mario Kart 8 or Hyrule Warriors, for now I'm hopeful it works out this time too, I need that steelbook :)

I'm still hoping. Stupid me. I've pre ordered it now on GAME, but if it will be possible, i'll gladly change it to support our fight.

SegaShack

Link to GAME pre-order. Link £44.99

Charged at Dispatch. Luck of the draw in terms of worldwide shipping. Depends who you ask.

Well I just dropped $77 bucks. Only problem is I'm from America. Have people found a way to make 3DS region free yet? I know there was some homebrew talk.

I'm crazy, what the hell did I just buy?

Someone I don't know how many pages back pleaded that Nintendo don't touch the soundtrack. Someone quoted that person saying they would like to have an option for both the N64 midi and a new, refreshed score. I have something to say about this:

There were three games that used this sound library:

1). Starfox 64
2). The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
3). The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Ironically, all three are remade/remastered on 3DS. Of those three games, I think it is Ocarina of Time that most needed to have a remastered soundtrack. That's because of OoT's soundtrack is very varied in terms of musical styles and the synth doesn't hold up for all of them. The sound library worked really well for Starfox 64 (it did have to grow on me though) and Majora's Mask (where it was expanded). It shines with more ambient, experimental pieces that are more string/choir as opposed to brass heavy - like this, this, and this. The midi lends itself best to Majora's Mask soundtrack than it does to Ocarina of Time's (although the brass and string samples were improved by the time we got to the former).

With that said, although I would be inclined to keep the soundtrack a 1-for-1 replica of the N64 version (like OoT 3D), I wouldn't be opposed to having it remastered although it could be hit or miss. But I think if Yokota is in charge of the conversion like he was in OoT 3D, he'll take the utmost care to make the remastered score as faithful as possible to the original in terms of mood and fidelity. So I'm up for it - I wouldn't be upset either way.

Side note: Ocarina of Time's score is just beautiful when it's rescued from the shackles of the N64 midi.

SegaShack

Someone I don't know how many pages back pleaded that Nintendo don't touch the soundtrack. Someone quoted that person saying they would like to have an option for both the N64 midi and a new, refreshed score. I have something to say about this:

1). Starfox 64

Ironically, all three are remade/remastered on 3DS. Of those three games, I think it is Ocarina of Time that most needed to have a remastered soundtrack. That's because of OoT's soundtrack is very varied in terms of musical styles and the synth doesn't hold up for all of them. The sound library worked really well for Starfox 64 (it did have to grow on me though) and Majora's Mask (where it was expanded). It shines with more ambient, experimental pieces that are more string/choir as opposed to brass heavy - like this, this, and this. The midi lends itself best to Majora's Mask soundtrack than it does to Ocarina of Time's (although the brass and string samples were improved by the time we got to the former).

With that said, although I would be inclined to keep the soundtrack a 1-for-1 replica of the N64 version (like OoT 3D), I wouldn't be opposed to having it remastered although it could be hit or miss. But I think if Yokota is in charge of the conversion like he was in OoT 3D, he'll take the utmost care to make the remastered score as faithful as possible to the original in terms of mood and fidelity. So I'm up for it - I wouldn't be upset either way.

Side note: Ocarina of Time's score is just beautiful when it's rescued from the shackles of the N64 midi.

That was me. People were saying that the game needed a remade soundtrack and that bugged me. I also agreed that having a remastered soundtrack alongside the original (as long as both are available from the start) would be great for everyone.

Regardless it looks like the game is keeping the original score.

As for Ocarina being "Freed from the shackles of the N64 midi", I feel that there was so much feeling lost in what you posted. Especially Kokiri forest.

Did anyone pay any attention to the final gameplay video bit?

"Then let mother read you a story."

Now why would they add a bit like that in there?

So I was thinking... you know how in OoT 3D you fell asleep in your bed and that's how you accessed the bosses again? I was thinking that what if talking to Anju's grandmother did something similar? Not saying it's probable, but I definitely think it's possible.

Tookay

So I was thinking... you know how in OoT 3D you fell asleep in your bed and that's how you accessed the bosses again? I was thinking that what if talking to Anju's grandmother did something similar? Not saying it's probable, but I definitely think it's possible.

But you can already revisit bosses in the game by going back to the temples and entering a warp pad.

But you can already revisit bosses in the game by going back to the temples and entering a warp pad.

True, but I was thinking more along the lines of the possibility that you could access other memories, or something of the sort. Not necessarily the same thing. I mean, why else would they put that there?

zruben

Banned
Updated geometry/textures ≠ remake

can we call it remaster then?

based on OoT 3DS version, it's very likely that MM will have:
-Updated geometry/textures
-Touch screen menu
-Gyro controllers for aim
-Probably hero mode/master quest
-Boss Battle Mode

zeldarocks

Neo Member
Well I just dropped $77 bucks. Only problem is I'm from America. Have people found a way to make 3DS region free yet? I know there was some homebrew talk.

I'm crazy, what the hell did I just buy?

At the risk of being banned, all I will say of that question is: yes.

gerudoman

45-50€ for the Special Edition?? I don't know, man. I doubt that. Unless it's different where you're from, but here in the Netherlands regular non-special edition 3DS games are usually priced 45€ at launch (also at Media Markt). I already bore 60€ in mind that I wanted to spend on this SE, so I definitely wouldn't say no to anything less.

Well, yeah, I was talking about the situation in Spain and thought it could be more or less the same for the rest of Europe. I'm happy to pay 50€, but more than 60 is definitely excessive.

MegalonJJ

Banned

1). Starfox 64

Interestingly iirc Star Fox 64 3D had the most done for the soundtrack. I wonder if Cuthbert & co reused the N64 code ala Grezzo did with OoT, or if they actually remade the game.

I know the OoT soundtrack was redone from scratch but Kondo told him to make it sound exactly like the N64 version (I assume it has much higher bit-rate tho).

Rich!

I know the OoT soundtrack was redone from scratch but Kondo told him to make it sound exactly like the N64 version (I assume it has much higher bit-rate tho).

actually, I have native rips of the audio from both OOT 64 (*.USF) and from OOT 3D...and they sound exactly the same.

Top Bottom