• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3DS announced!

MegalonJJ

Banned

Rich!

Because the trailer was about how weird and creepy MM is.

yep. and it's sure to have generated far more interest than another bog standard Zelda trailer.

anyhow...just to look into the song of time/saving speculation further:

iwfJzjGlV4zic.png

can anyone translate this? Does it mention saving, or just reverting to the dawn of the first day?

ALM5252

I'm currently replaying Majora's Mask to 100%, but it will be on my Cartridge copy I bought last June ($25). It'll be my first time playing it all the way through on the actual N64.

Anyways, what if for a Hero Mode they make it so you take double damage and CAN'T slow down time. I've never played the game without slowing it down once the scarecrow taught me on my first playthrough in 2005 or 2006 (Zelda Collector Edition).

Just a thought. :)

Rich!

It was in the Iwata asks :)

When redoing it he initially changed it using different samples (possibly some orchestration too), but then Kondo stepped in and told him to remake it to sound exactly the same as the original.

Here, read it right here :)

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/zelda-ocarina-of-time/0/1

yep, I know.

it's just funny that they ended up with it being exactly the same. I mean hell, even the soundtrack to Kirby Super Star Ultra has slight differences to the SNES version - but OOT 3D has none. at all.

TheMoon

Well I just dropped $77 bucks. Only problem is I'm from America. Have people found a way to make 3DS region free yet? I know there was some homebrew talk.

I'm crazy, what the hell did I just buy?

Don't fuck with your 3DS, just buy an NA copy and sell the EU copy from the special edition.

yep. and it's sure to have generated far more interest than another bog standard Zelda trailer.

can anyone translate this? Does it mention saving, or just reverting to the dawn of the first day?

Do you want to go back to the dawn of the first day?

zeldarocks

Neo Member

I can't answer your question directly, but, I would keep in mind that the Owl saving method WAS NOT in the Japanese version, it was added onto the American release when the 3rd save slot was eliminated.

Anyways, what if for a Hero Mode they make it so you take double damage and CAN'T slow down time. I've never played the game without slowing it down once the scarecrow taught me on my first playthrough in 2005 or 2006 (Zelda Collector Edition).

Just a thought. :)

I was thinking... what if there was a Hero Mode/Master Quest that SPED UP time??? I think that would be awesome. If they're not gonna put in man power and money to make the dungeons feel new, they might as well force you to complete them faster!

Rich!

I can't answer your question directly, but, I would keep in mind that the Owl saving method WAS NOT in the Japanese version, it was added onto the American release when the 3rd save slot was eliminated.

I know that, and it's not what I am discussing.

The issue we are having here is that the english language shot only says "Return to the Dawn of the First Day" on the 3DS version and not "Save and return to the Dawn of the First Day", which is what is said on the N64 version. There is a significant difference here - possibly implying an overhaul of the saving system.

N64:

ibeZh8xzNvrhWu.jpg

3DS:

It says "returning to the morning of the first day", if I'm not mistaken.

damn. nothing about saving then?

zeldarocks

Neo Member
I know that. The issue we are having here is that the english language shot only says "Return to the Dawn of the First Day" on the 3DS version and not "Save your game and return to the Dawn of the First Day", which is what is said on the N64 version. There is a significant difference here - possibly implying an overhaul of the saving system.

N64:

ibeZh8xzNvrhWu.jpg

3DS:

My point exactly, I'm thinking that they will use the Owl Statues for saving now. It would make sense as far as parity between versions.

TheMoon

Updated geometry/textures ≠ remake

Environments are pretty much completely rebuild and stuff is arranged and textures are completely new, not just "updated."

can we call it remaster then?

based on OoT 3DS version, it's very likely that MM will have:
-Updated geometry/textures
-Touch screen menu
-Gyro controllers for aim
-Probably hero mode/master quest
-Boss Battle Mode

No, remaster doesn't undersells it, honestly. I hope we don't start the whole "but it's the same gameplay code!!" stuff again but calling it a remake is the most appropriate description for what we're getting here.

But we've been kinda through this before earlier. It's ultimately irrelevant. We're getting awesomeness.^^

Rich!

My point exactly, I'm thinking that they will use the Owl Statues for saving now. It would make sense as far as parity between versions.

hm well, you didn't make that clear.

I do think owl statues could work. They would have to get rid of the "COPY" option in the file select menu though, otherwise it will be abused to all hell.

I'm definitively not fluent in japanese, but no, nothing about saving...

ok, thanks! I think it's safe to say that the save system has been overhauled. Owl statues for saving seems like the best bet, as thats the system used in Link Between Worlds, possibly with an added suspend and quit function in the pause menu.

Anyone else agree?

Well the original in Japanese was セーブして最初の朝にもどりますか?
m1VmGWc.jpg

So considering they literally just lopped off the "Save and" part to get this:
iwfJzjGlV4zic.png

I'd say really only saving when you warp back is gone.

HOORAY

SegaShack

At the risk of being banned, all I will say of that question is: yes.

Don't fuck with your 3DS, just buy an NA copy and sell the EU copy from the special edition.

Thanks both of you. I will have to look into this.

Do we know if the PAL Collector's Edition includes the actual full standard game (in its case and everything) along with the steelbook? Or is the game just inside the steelbook?

I can see that. It's a change that I could go either way with. It doesn't directly affect me but it also probably will make the game a bit more enjoyable for those who found the previous save system annoying, so I'm fine with it.

I'm hoping they make a few other changes too. Stuff like having to play the Elegy of Emptiness every time you want to create a statue, among other things, I would happily accept a change of.

Wow, I have to admit, I didn't see that much of a difference between the old version and this until I saw these.

I'm hoping they will add some sort of new side quests or content to the main game. I finished the game like 3 times, so I'm not really thinking of biting just yet....

I think it's amazing how they can completely change the textures and models in the game but still make it look superficially identical. Exactly what a remaster should be.

It never stuck me until now how much the moon's face resembles Ganondorf's, which I guess is intentional. Old moon looks chubby now, heh.

I fully expect some form of Master Quest to be included. Maybe not mirrored though, since I don't think that would work too well with Termina's design. My hunch is that you'll be able to save at any time now, though perhaps you can only reload at the dawn of the first day (or at an owl statue if you saved there). That would be a good comprise. That being said, I could also totally see them turning the owl statues into regular old save statues like in the newer titles. I'm not sure how I would feel about that.

Boss Rush mode seems like an obvious inclusion, although the game doesn't have very many bosses to begin with. I'd love it if they added some new optional bosses, but that's never going to happen. I guess they could include the "major" mini-bosses though, since they were all unique enemies and not far off the regular bosses. Actually I think one of the mini-bosses in the original was optional and somewhat hidden. More of those would be awesome.

I hope they re-add the ability to have Fierce Deity anywhere, long jump, item bank, time merchant and Jabu-Jabu fishing that were all talked about before the original game was released.

If you simply must save at Owl Statues, that's fine by me. As long as the save system isn't identical to OoT's that's fine with me.

Rich!

Well, it is meant to be portable now so some changes in saves will not be shocking. Just play it the way you did before and not save whenever you want?

:(

there's a thing called options. have a "save anywhere easy mode" and an "original mode". They need that.

overhauling the system entirely just to appease a vocal few ruins the experience for those who love the original save system as it is. It's like if Dark Souls 3 added a pause menu and got rid of the fact you lose souls when you die. it's goddamn wrong.

woxel1

yep, I know.

it's just funny that they ended up with it being exactly the same. I mean hell, even the soundtrack to Kirby Super Star Ultra has slight differences to the SNES version - but OOT 3D has none. at all.
I'm pretty sure the 3DS version has more reverb channels? And I know they made a big deal about the "Surround" mix; they mentioned it in one of those interviews. But yeah, it doesn't sound like a massive change to me.

Rich!

I'm pretty sure the 3DS version has more reverb channels? And I know they made a big deal about the "Surround" mix; they mentioned it in one of those interviews. But yeah, it doesn't sound like a massive change to me.

well, my rip is only in basic stereo. but yeah, it does sound fantastic through the speakers on a 3DS (not the XL though lol)

zeldablue

Every single one of you better buy this.

I still can't believe this is happening. It's a dream come true.

Oh God. If this bombs it would be both hilarious and devastating. Nintendo would never make another game like MM again.

Everyone has to buy this so that Nintendo learns that the internet was right.

Nicktendo86

:(

there's a thing called options. have a "save anywhere easy mode" and an "original mode". They need that.

overhauling the system entirely just to appease a vocal few ruins the experience for those who love the original save system as it is. It's like if Dark Souls 3 added a pause menu and got rid of the fact you lose souls when you die. it's goddamn wrong.
I will be honest and say I am a little more that a bit biased as I fucking sucked at MM and found the saves frustrating. Suckz for you I guess though :

Rich!

I will be honest and say I am a little more that a bit biased as I fucking sucked at MM and found the saves frustrating. Suckz for you I guess though :

doh

so dedicated fans of the game have to suffer. great. :(

I'm not having a go at anyone, I just want my favourite game of all time (apart from DKC2) to get the treatment it deserves. I dont want a watered down version. sigh.

Neiteio

If they've changed it so that you can save permanently at owl statues, I think that's fine, because the way I played the game, I always saved at an owl statue before turning off the game, anyways.

It does make the time system easier to abuse, however, since you can save at an owl statue right before an event and just restart from that save point if you fail the event.

Of course, we may be reading too much into that screen. There might be a second line of text, given its own text box, asking if you want to save when you time-travel.

I don't think it's the existing vocal group they'd be concerned with appeasing. They'd want to not piss off new players.

Rich!

If they've changed it so that you can save permanently at owl statues, I think that's fine, because the way I played the game, I always saved at an owl statue before turning off the game.

It does make the time system easier to abuse, however, since you can save at an owl statue right before an event and just restart from that save point if you fail the event.

meh. they need to keep the save statues as suspend saves otherwise the entire system can be cheated and ruined.

The other option of having the game set up so that you can save anywhere via the pause menu would be an absolute goddamn travesty.

Neiteio

I'm completely fine with them implementing owl statues as proper save points as long as they get rid of the copy option in the file menu. Otherwise people will cheat the system, and fuck up the entire basis of the game.

Having the game set up so that you can save anywhere via the pause menu would be an absolute goddamn travesty.
Eh, I'm not sure we should worry about Nintendo saving people from themselves. You and I can still play the game without abusing the system, whatever system is implemented. If this is what it takes for people to not be intimidated by saving, then I think it's an OK change overall. There'll still be pressure to complete dungeons in one 72-hour cycle, there'll still be dynamic events and NPCs running on the clock, the world will still change over the course of three days, etc. Everything that makes MM what it is, is still fundamentally there.

Rich!

Eh, I'm not sure we should worry about Nintendo saving people from themselves. You and I can still play the game without abusing the system, whatever system is implemented. If this is what it takes for people to not be intimidated by saving, then I think it's an OK change overall.

I've revised my opinion anyhow.

people shouldn't be intimidated by the system in majora's mask. goddamnit. it's like going into a game like dark souls and complaining about the difficulty. it's what makes the game what it is. If people don't like it, don't play it! Nintendo shouldn't change it just to make it more accessible!

messing with the save system affects the fundamental core that majora's mask is entirely based on imo.

If they fuck it up, I will be seriously pissed off.

Nicktendo86

doh

so dedicated fans of the game have to suffer. great. :(

I'm not having a go at anyone, I just want my favourite game of all time (apart from DKC2) to get the treatment it deserves. I dont want a watered down version. sigh.
Dkc2 is my fave game of all time too. I like you Rich.

Grizzo

Mmmh I guess they're just gonna implement a "save anytime you want" system, like in OOT.

The owl statue thing is possible too.

meh. they need to keep the save statues as suspend saves otherwise the entire system can be cheated and ruined.

The other option of having the game set up so that you can save anywhere via the pause menu would be an absolute goddamn travesty.

I don't believe it will come to that. The Owl statues were important to the game's design, and are pretty in-line with modern day Zelda design. Skyward Sword and ALBW both feature a similar save system, so if they included it in those new games, why would they remove it from the game that started it, ya know?

zeldarocks

Neo Member
Mmmh I guess they're just gonna implement a "save anytime you want" system, like in OOT.

The owl statue thing is possible too.

To expound on my previous statement: If they were to use the Owl Statues to save the game, they would likely not use them for suspend saves, which is what the sleep mode is for anyway.

Neiteio

MM and DKC2 are also among my favorite games. These days DKC2 is more or less tied with Tropical Freeze as my favorite platformer.

This thread has good taste. People who like MM have good taste.

Rich!

To expound on my previous statement: If they were to use the Owl Statues to save the game, they would likely not use them for suspend saves, which is what the sleep mode is for anyway.

I guess that would be the best option out of a bunch of crappy ones.

Sigh. I'll take that.

MM and DKC2 are also among my favorite games. These days DKC2 is more or less tied with Tropical Freeze as my favorite platformer.

This thread has good taste. People who like MM have good taste.

My top ten games list:

1. Majora's Mask
2. Donkey Kong Country 2
3. Link to the Past
4. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
5. Ocarina of Time
6. Xenoblade Chronicles
7. Dark Souls
8. Portal 2
9. Kirby Super Star Ultra
10. Timesplitters 2

Neiteio

I don't believe it will come to that. The Owl statues were important to the game's design, and are pretty in-line with modern day Zelda design. Skyward Sword and ALBW both feature a similar save system, so if they included it in those new games, why would they remove it from the game that started it, ya know?
The rooster statues in ALBW were permanent saves. The owl statues in MM were suspend saves.

Rich is concerned that if they change the owl statues from suspend saves to permanent saves, then people will abuse the system by restarting from the owl statue when they screw up an event, thereby removing the tension that was there before when failing an event meant having to do everything leading up to it all over again.

All that being said, I'll just play it the way I've always played it. The tension will be there all the same for me.

Top Bottom