• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3DS announced!

Saving only at Owl Statues would line up with what they've done most recently in Skyward Sword and Link Between Worlds. The save-anywhere system used in most other Zelda games might not work too well for this game, and owl statue saving is already implemented in the original anyway. As for whether they'll be suspend saves or true saves, it's hard to say at this point. True saves would make sense on a device like the 3DS where you might lose progress if the battery dies on you. If you abuse them, that's your own problem.

Rich!

Thanks, but I wonder why it just says "3DS Game Card"?

because saying "3ds box with a game in it" sounds crap.

it's clear from the image the game comes in a standard box inside the pack too, and they have to mention the game is included somewhere

Neiteio

Saving only at Owl Statues would line up with what they've done most recently in Skyward Sword and Link Between Worlds. The save-anywhere system used in most other Zelda games might not work too well for this game, and owl statue saving is already implemented in the original anyway. As for whether they'll be suspend saves or true saves, it's hard to say at this point. True saves would make sense on a device like the 3DS where you might lose progress if the battery dies on you. If you abuse them, that's your own problem.
Exactly. Well-said.

So I'm most likely preordering the collector's edition in the UK. I'll be in the states though so I'll have my family there send it to me instead.

I'm not that crazy about collector's editions in general so I'll just check it out and probably give it away for free here. Keeping the game obvs. :p

Rich!

It's GAME. They want as much as they can possibly scrounge out of you as quickly as possible.

yep.

they need as many people to pay unsecured loans (preorders) to them as possible in case they go into administration again! Thats why I wouldn't preorder from game - at least I know I'm safe ordering from the Nintendo Store. Nintendo may be forever doomed, but they aren't gonna go bankrupt any time soon.

Grizzo

To expound on my previous statement: If they were to use the Owl Statues to save the game, they would likely not use them for suspend saves, which is what the sleep mode is for anyway.

Yeah that's what I meant :D

Regular saving that can be done with every owl statues you can find

can we call it remaster then?

based on OoT 3DS version, it's very likely that MM will have:
-Updated geometry/textures
-Touch screen menu
-Gyro controllers for aim
-Probably hero mode/master quest
-Boss Battle Mode
At this point, I'm confused on remake vs. remaster. Do we have an operational definition of each somewhere?

Interestingly iirc Star Fox 64 3D had the most done for the soundtrack. I wonder if Cuthbert & co reused the N64 code ala Grezzo did with OoT, or if they actually remade the game.

I know the OoT soundtrack was redone from scratch but Kondo told him to make it sound exactly like the N64 version (I assume it has much higher bit-rate tho).
Yeah, I was a tad disappointed when I learned that. I think OoT 3D should've got the Starfox 64 treatment - in Yokota's hands, it would've been great. The fan made remaster of OoT's score over at ZREO is awesome too, but it misses the mark on a good amount of songs. That wouldn't happen with Yokota at the reigns - he knows Kondo's work inside out. I have the old 1998 Pony Canyon release of OoT's soundtrack (as sorry a release as it was) and I compared it to the OoT 3D soundtrack release and you really have to listen closely for the slight differences in the sounds of a few samples. Yokota did a great job fulfilling Kondo's request.

yep, I know.

it's just funny that they ended up with it being exactly the same. I mean hell, even the soundtrack to Kirby Super Star Ultra has slight differences to the SNES version - but OOT 3D has none. at all.
Not true, rich. There are some very tiny, slight differences. I can listen through the soundtrack again to point them out, it's been awhile so I don't remember specific examples.

BTW, I really, really hope you're right about the game being 60fps on n3DS. I want to believe so bad.
I don't think it's the existing vocal group they'd be concerned with appeasing. They'd want to not piss off new players.
I think the save system is what Iwata was referring to when he said he wanted to make it more accessible. I guess I'm ok with it, I just don't want to make it less of a challenge. When you blew something in a Bomber's Notebook storyline, you had to start over from scratch on Day 1 and I liked that. It added suspense for me.

Grizzo

Amazon, please update, I want to pre-order now.
It has been 2 days.

I wonder if the collector's edition will be exclusively sold at certain stores in other countries too.

We don't have GAME anymore in France but it could very well only be sold in Micromania instead.

with an option for original difficulty in the file menu that only lets you save with the song of time.

nintendo pls

Yes that'd be great, although I don't know if they're gonna think about implementing such an option :(

Koren

To expound on my previous statement: If they were to use the Owl Statues to save the game, they would likely not use them for suspend saves, which is what the sleep mode is for anyway.
I disagree... I think that Majora Mask needs to have only a suspend save (and no normal save, except maybe at the beginning of the first day).

Sleep mode won't do it, since the 3DS can run out of battery, and you may want to play another game... So you need actual suspend saves.

I indeed fear that they change the save system to a conventional one, though, and that's a pity.

mantidor

I don't know, if your battery is dying just close the damn device until you can charge it. They really shouldn't mess with the save system.

At this point, I'm confused on remake vs. remaster. Do we have an operational definition of each somewhere?

I don't about officially but... a remaster should take the original game without changing much, if any, of its core level design, adding things which are supplementary to the original game's design (i.e.; new graphics, new music, new controls, pacing changes, HUD changes, etc). The engine will likely not be touched either. A remake, however, should take the foundation of what made the original game so good, and overhaul it to be something completely new, while retaining the spirit of the original game. Level design, story, controls, game engine, etc all can change.

Majora's Mask 3D is a remaster, same with Ocarina of Time 3D. Bionic Commando: Rearmed is a remake, same with Metroid: Zero Mission.

Rich!

Yes that'd be great, although I don't know if they're gonna think about implementing such an option :(

I will continue to spam them via club nintendo surveys begging for that option then.

I filled every single club nintendo survey I've done since the release of OOT 3D in 2011 with requests for them to release majora's mask. Every. Single. One. To the point where they probably made the game just to make me shut the fuck up.

just so you know the scale of how much I moaned at them for majora's mask 3D...:

ikx98izptov7V.png

9 pages, 10 club nintendo surveys per page. In every single one right up to the most recent (bayonetta 1 and 2) I pestered for Majora's Mask 3D.

Yarbskoo

I'd be fine with this.

Not true, rich. There are some very tiny, slight differences. I can listen through the soundtrack again to point them out, it's been awhile so I don't remember specific examples.

Yeah, I remember noticing a couple of tracks were ever so slightly different, like some differences in the way the samples are mixed or something.

Yarbskoo

lVyuJE1.jpg

OMG! What did they do with the Rainbow Staircase of the Observatory?

Yeah, that is a little odd. I'll have to see the whole staircase and the rest of the building before I can make any real judgements, but it seems like a weird thing to change.

At least the music will be the same. I hope.

Shaanyboi

Banned

Remake implies they completely rebuilt and redesigned everything from scratch. Think the Resident Evil remake on Gamecube. Or the remake of the original 2D Prince of Persia that was downloadable afew years ago. Videogames honestly see very few of these.

A remaster is more or less the exact same game, just retouched in some aspects. With OOT 3D, they fixed the framerate, improved textures, replaced afew art assets and character models, but it's more or less a new flashier coat of paint on the exact same game. Think the Secret of Monkey Island special edition. I mean we've seen HD remasters of previous gen games that have added widescreen, maybe improved the framerate and resolution... compare those to when a movie finally got a DVD release. OOT 3D, Secret of Monkey Island, and now MM 3D are more like the 25th Anniversary of some classic movie being rereleased, getting retouched visual effects, maybe even acouple retouched scenes to make the thing flow a little better. (Except unlike the Star Wars special editions, these aren't abhored by the fanbase...)

Frodo

Remake implies they completely rebuilt and redesigned everything from scratch. Think the Resident Evil remake on Gamecube. Or the remake of the original 2D Prince of Persia that was downloadable afew years ago. Videogames honestly see very few of these.

A remaster is more or less the exact same game, just retouched in some aspects. With OOT 3D, they fixed the framerate, improved textures, replaced afew art assets and character models, but it's more or less a new flashier coat of paint on the exact same game. Think the Secret of Monkey Island special edition. I mean we've seen HD remasters of previous gen games that have added widescreen, maybe improved the framerate and resolution... compare those to when a movie finally got a DVD release. OOT 3D, Secret of Monkey Island, and now MM 3D are more like the 25th Anniversary of some classic movie being rereleased, getting retouched visual effects, maybe even acouple retouched scenes to make the thing flow a little better. (Except unlike the Star Wars special editions, these aren't abhored by the fanbase...)

Link stabbed first.

I don't about officially but... a remaster should take the original game without changing much, if any, of its core level design, adding things which are supplementary to the original game's design (i.e.; new graphics, new music, new controls, pacing changes, HUD changes, etc). The engine will likely not be touched either. A remake, however, should take the foundation of what made the original game so good, and overhaul it to be something completely new, while retaining the spirit of the original game. Level design, story, controls, game engine, etc all can change.

Majora's Mask 3D is a remaster, same with Ocarina of Time 3D. Bionic Commando: Rearmed is a remake, same with Metroid: Zero Mission.
Ok. I see. Makes sense. Thanks, guys.

SegaShack

Well then...

To answer the original question, yes; I believe you can indeed bypass region-blocking with the regular 3DS and 3DS XL.

I'm not aware of the specifics, but AFAIK, it's possible.

Looked it up and from what I can understand currently the system needs to be at 4.5 OS to mod for region free. I could be wrong though.

because saying "3ds box with a game in it" sounds crap.

it's clear from the image the game comes in a standard box inside the pack too, and they have to mention the game is included somewhere

Hahaha! Very true!

GAME will only let me pre-order if I pay now and I chose the credit card option too and not Paypal. :(

It says the words "Pay Now" as just meaning you are ending the check out process. They should have made it say "Place Order". I ordered 3 hours ago and not even a pending charge. Another poster wrote in here that they don't charge til they ship.

I will continue to spam them via club nintendo surveys begging for that option then.

I filled every single club nintendo survey I've done since the release of OOT 3D in 2011 with requests for them to release majora's mask. Every. Single. One. To the point where they probably made the game just to make me shut the fuck up.

just so you know the scale of how much I moaned at them for majora's mask 3D...:

9 pages, 10 club nintendo surveys per page. In every single one right up to the most recent (bayonetta 1 and 2) I pestered for Majora's Mask 3D.

Holy crap that is dedicated! Thank you for your work. I should start doing this to on my Club Nintendo surveys for Link's Awakening DXDX or something, maybe Star Tropic 3?

Yarbskoo

They're terms taken from film and don't translate to video games all that well. In film, a remake is when all or almost all of the movie is new footage, whereas a remaster is mostly the same footage, but cleaned up with usually no more than a couple of shots added.

With video games, even ports will sometimes get new or different content. Just look at all the different versions of Rayman and Rayman 2.

Honestly, there's no concrete formula for what the difference between a remake and a remaster is, because the amount of changes from version to version varies so greatly across the medium.

Rich!

Looked it up and from what I can understand currently the system needs to be at 4.5 OS to mod for region free. I could be wrong though.

That is correct to be able to use a flashcart, however the upcoming homebrew channel works on all firmwares including the latest, requires no flashcart to install, enables region free, and even works on the New 3DS along with utilizing the extra buttons, c-stick and extra ram.

upcoming homebrew game proof of concept:

https://twitter.com/smealum

TheMoon

You're underselling MM3D here. The comparison pics show this isn't just "a few retouched effects and textures." Rebuild environments, completely new textures for almost everything seen so far.

Some more things here: http://forums.zeldaspeedruns.com/index.php?topic=1722

Persona7

Banned

wow

SegaShack

That is correct to be able to use a flashcart, however the upcoming homebrew channel works on all firmwares including the latest, requires no flashcart to install, enables region free, and even works on the New 3DS along with utilizing the extra buttons, c-stick and extra ram.

upcoming homebrew game proof of concept:

https://twitter.com/smealum

Interesting. Is there any current mod that allows region free on the newest OS? Or will Homebrew Channel be the first. Have no interest in flash carts/pirating.

I think the save system is what Iwata was referring to when he said he wanted to make it more accessible. I guess I'm ok with it, I just don't want to make it less of a challenge. When you blew something in a Bomber's Notebook storyline, you had to start over from scratch on Day 1 and I liked that. It added suspense for me.

TBH, if you find it fun to realize you screwed up and have to execute everything better a second time, you'll play that way regardless of the save system. Any changes to the save system should exist so people don't have to put up with excess BS that keeps them from being able to drop in or out immediately. This is a handheld remaster, after all.

For the record I also think "no pause in Souls games" is BS when you're not connected to other players. I'm glad menus don't pause the action, but it's stupid that I might even possibly have to full-on abort a play session just because I might run into circumstances where I can't give the game my undivided attention. And, sorry, but adding a pause function wouldn't dramatically impact the experience. Most people who aren't in a safe location or who wouldn't immediately save/quit if they had to walk away likely wouldn't pause anyway.

Rich!

Interesting. Is there any current mod that allows region free on the newest OS? Or will Homebrew Channel be the first. Have no interest in flash carts/pirating.

Smealum's hack (homebrew channel) will be the first. You will need a specific game to run the exploit - but due to the way it works (seemingly the same as the twilight hack on the Wii did), you should be able to enable region free without installing the homebrew channel at all. You would have to boot up that game and load the hack each time though, but it wouldn't void your warranty in any way.

There's a chance Nintendo will update the firmware on the 3DS to automatically locate the hack on the SD card and delete it however, like they did on the Wii - in that case, you would wish you had installed the homebrew channel.

The game in question is rumoured to be either Cubic Ninja or Dead or Alive Dimensions due to them both having a level editor/photo viewer that loads external files from an SD card, which can be exploited.

You're underselling MM3D here. The comparison pics show this isn't just "a few retouched effects and textures." Rebuild environments, completely new textures for almost everything seen so far.

Some more things here: http://forums.zeldaspeedruns.com/index.php?topic=1722

Wow holy crap, I didn't expect them to redo environments like that... I hate fucking memes but here goes:

leo4.jpg

No game makes me geek out more than this game. Maybe Kirby Super Star as well. Damn!

Neiteio

lol

In every "tell us why you purchased this game" section, I just wrote:

It just became a habit, and I ended up doing it for every single game/hardware survey. all 90 or so of them.
Haha, you really are awesome, Rich. :-D

CAN THIS GAME COME OUT NOW PLS

I'm remembering more and more the insane amount of detail in this game. Like how the sensei at the dojo (third night spoiler)
acts so brave when you first meet him, but is cowering in the back of his dojo on the third night
, or how you can (domestic drama spoiler)
spy through a peephole on Anju and her mother at the Stock Pot Inn, as they debate whether Kafei had second thoughts before the wedding

What's more, there are so many quests, all of them are excellent, and all of them are fun to replay. Racing the Deku Butler, defending Romani Ranch from aliens, protecting Cremia from bandits, racing the beavers down the waterfall rapids, infiltrating the Gerudo Fortress, fighting King Ikana and his men, reuniting Kafei and Anju, etc. To me, this is the most replayable Zelda, without even needing to start a new file. You can even replay the dungeons on the same file (just don't use the main item until you reach that point of the dungeon) or skip straight to the bosses for a rematch.

In other words, this is the one Zelda of which I never grew bored. I'm eager to experience it again with streamlined functionality, performance stability and a fresh coat of paint, on a portable in stereoscopic 3D. That all sounds heavenly to me. <3

I really should get the Super Star remaster. I loved the original, but I was put off since I loved the local multiplayer, but I felt like I wouldn't get a chance to do MP with anyone else thus I passed on it.

Rich!

I've just read through http://forums.zeldaspeedruns.com/index.php?topic=1722

oh my god. I think I was right in assuming that Nintendo will be going all out on remastering Majora's Mask. They really are, to the extent of redesigning most of the areas. woah!

I always knew it would be a possibility as Majora's Mask doesn't have the "untouchable" status that Ocarina of Time has - but seeing evidence they are really going ahead with it is amazing. Soooo hyped to discover all the changes for myself - clock town has been drastically redesigned for a start!!

Grizzo

I think they should release MM3D in February/March. But I don't know what they have planned for 3DS in early 2015.

it's so so so good. Better than the original in every way possible.

I'm still in love with the original though

But that's because I never got the chance to play the DS one, ha

Shane86

Yeah, that is a little odd. I'll have to see the whole staircase and the rest of the building before I can make any real judgements, but it seems like a weird thing to change.

At least the music will be the same. I hope.

The observatory music is amazing, best in the game

Haha, you really are awesome, Rich. :-D

CAN THIS GAME COME OUT NOW PLS

I'm remembering more and more the insane amount of detail in this game. Like how the sensei at the dojo (third night spoiler)
acts so brave when you first meet him, but is cowering in the back of his dojo on the third night
, or how you can (domestic drama spoiler)
spy through a peephole on Anju and her mother at the Stock Pot Inn, as they debate whether Kafei had second thoughts before the wedding

What's more, there are so many quests, all of them are excellent, and all of them are fun to replay. Racing the Deku Butler, defending Romani Ranch from aliens, protecting Cremia from bandits, racing the beavers down the waterfall rapids, infiltrating the Gerudo Fortress, fighting King Ikana and his men, reuniting Kafei and Anju, etc. To me, this is the most replayable Zelda, without even needing to start a new file. You can even replay the dungeons on the same file (just don't use the main item until you reach that point of the dungeon) or skip straight to the bosses for a rematch.

In other words, this is the one Zelda of which I never grew bored. I'm eager to experience it again with streamlined functionality, performance stability and a fresh coat of paint, on a portable in stereoscopic 3D. That all sounds heavenly to me. <3

The milk bar is home to a couple of strong scenes in the game too. Gorman :(

I've just read through http://forums.zeldaspeedruns.com/index.php?topic=1722

oh my god. I think I was right in assuming that Nintendo will be going all out on remastering Majora's Mask. They really are, to the extent of redesigning most of the areas. woah!

I always knew it would be a possibility as Majora's Mask doesn't have the "untouchable" status that Ocarina of Time has - but seeing evidence they are really going ahead with it is amazing. Soooo hyped to discover all the changes for myself - clock town has been drastically redesigned for a start!!

Right??? Even if they don't change too much, maybe just change the flow of certain environments to take advantage of the new lighting and higher power of the 3DS, I'd be happy. I haven't been this excited for a game in a very long time!

Rich!

I'm still in love with the original though

But that's because I never got the chance to play the DS one, ha

hoooooly shit. what are you waiting for?! Super Star Ultra has:

- completely updated graphics
- more screen real estate due to the HUD being moved to the bottom screen
- the exact same music (thats a good thing) and extra new tracks by Jun Ishikawa
- four new minigames (Snack Tracks, Kirby Card Swipe, and Kirby on the Draw) along with the original two
- FOUR entirely new games:

Revenge of the King - a spring breeze like game with brand new levels, much higher difficulty, brand new bosses (including kabula) and masked dedede as a final battle.

Metaknightmare Ultra - Play through the entirety of Spring Breeze, Dynablade, Revenge of Metaknight, Great Cave Offensive and Milky Way Wishes all in one go as Metaknight together with RPG style XP points and special moves complete with a brand new hard as nails final boss (galactica knight)

Helper to Hero - The arena, but you play as a helper.

THE TRUE ARENA - All of the new bosses and mid-bosses one after another. No full-health recovery tomatoes, just three regular ones. Ends with Marx Soul, a STUPIDLY hard version of Marx.

KSSU_100_Corkboard.png

Fiktion

Banned
Now I'm curious about what Majora's new models will look like. I always felt like the N64 graphics couldn't do the boss true justice.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
OoT:3D was a remake, they didn't use any of the original game's code, and rebuilt the entire thing from scratch. The old remasters, so far as I know, emulated the old hardware within their own software. I think this will be another remake.

Rich!

Now I'm curious about what Majora's new models will look like. I always felt like the N64 graphics couldn't do the boss true justice.

hopefully it will be truly demented as all hell.

Hm...watching the footage of the game on the EU direct again...I've made another worrying discovery - it doesn't look like Link loses any items or rupees as he falls back through time. Hopefully it's just for the demo and not because they've changed that too...

OoT:3D was a remake, they didn't use any of the original game's code, and rebuilt the entire thing from scratch. The old remasters, so far as I know, emulated the old hardware within their own software. I think this will be another remake.

I'm really sorry man, don't take it personally - but I have to use this gif:

242.gif

It has been proven that Ocarina of Time 3D is built upon the N64 code. The ROM has been decrypted and looked into thoroughly. It is built upon the same base code as the N64 version, uses the same system calls and basic geometry and even includes beta textures and models from the original N64 game.

Some of the game's filenames reference the changes Ocarina of Time went through in its multi-year development history.
Ultra 64

The Ultra 64 was the development name for the Nintendo 64. Ocarina of Time 3D contains four Link models. Two are the Child and Adult Link models used in-game: zelda_link_child_new.zar and zelda_link_boy_new.zar. However, the two older Link models used in Ocarina of Time still exist, and their filenames reflect the old nickname for the system.

zelda_link_boy_ultra.zar
zelda_link_child_ultra.zar

This isn't even mentioning that almost every glitch from OOT 64 is still in OOT 3D, even the really obscure ones. Why? Same basic code. Hell, Ocarina of Time 3D even includes the original v1.1 fire temple music with chanting hidden inside the ROM, as well as this beta room from the N64 version that was never actually used:

Top Bottom