• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3DS announced!

Neiteio

Now I'm curious about what Majora's new models will look like. I always felt like the N64 graphics couldn't do the boss true justice.
Oh yeah, excellent point. Considering the jump in quality from N64 Gabora to 3DS Gabora, the design should be similarly improved for Majora's Incarnation and Majora's Wrath. And maybe they'll release official art for those characters, much like they did for Ganon with OoT3D.

Rich!

Oh yeah, excellent point. Considering the jump in quality from N64 Gabora to 3DS Gabora, the design should be similarly improved for Majora's Incarnation and Majora's Wrath. And maybe they'll release official art for those characters, much like they did for Ganon with OoT3D.

Majora's
Wrath
is going to be amazing.

I would love for them to make the arena twice the size
and make him enormous.
There's no way they could have messed with the final battles in OOT - they're iconic. But with Majora's Mask I hope they go all out with it and turn it into something really special. Surprise us longtime fans, in a good way.

Rich!

spoilerz

I'd say it's looking positive, even if the screenshots aren't of the highest quality.
I would say it's pretty much a certainty, because of this:

3EcRhF4.png

Someone speculated that perhaps you only see the colorful staircase as you ascend it? So to add that element of surprise at how majestic it looks.

I wondered the same too. That little constellation detail running up the staircase looks like it was made to light up as you ascend.

I've just read through http://forums.zeldaspeedruns.com/index.php?topic=1722

oh my god. I think I was right in assuming that Nintendo will be going all out on remastering Majora's Mask. They really are, to the extent of redesigning most of the areas. woah!

I always knew it would be a possibility as Majora's Mask doesn't have the "untouchable" status that Ocarina of Time has - but seeing evidence they are really going ahead with it is amazing. Soooo hyped to discover all the changes for myself - clock town has been drastically redesigned for a start!!
Wow, that's some good analysis. I hadn't even noticed that Clock Town has been changed so drastically. It's my favorite town in a video game, so the idea of it being even larger and more fleshed out is very exciting to me.

Fits in with Aonuma's previous remarks. Ocarina of Time is the "sacred cow" that can't be messed with, but they have ample opportunity to to play around with Majora's Mask.

So, wait a second guys. In this topic which shows how some places have geography changes a bit... how's that gonna work with people's schedules? Everyone works with a set schedule in Majora's Mask, they'd have to change how fast they go from place to place. Unless perhaps...

since there seems to be more space in Clock Town, maybe time goes by a bit slower, but the characters move at their original speeds?

I dunno. I'm legit obsessing over this game right now.

You're underselling MM3D here. The comparison pics show this isn't just "a few retouched effects and textures." Rebuild environments, completely new textures for almost everything seen so far.

Some more things here: http://forums.zeldaspeedruns.com/index.php?topic=1722

That's really cool. I wonder if they're expanding/rearranging South Clock Town in order to actually make the different sections of the town completely to scale with each other, or maybe even fully connected without needing loading screens? That last part might be a stretch, though.

Rich!

So, wait a second guys. In this topic which shows how some places have geography changes a bit... how's that gonna work with people's schedules? Everyone works with a set schedule in Majora's Mask, they'd have to change how fast they go from place to place. Unless perhaps...

since there seems to be more space in Clock Town, maybe time goes by a bit slower, but the characters move at their original speeds?

I dunno. I'm legit obsessing over this game right now.

nothing stopping them from making characters pick up the pace and run for a bit. I wouldn't worry about it!

That's really cool. I wonder if they're expanding/rearranging South Clock Town in order to actually make the different sections of the town completely to scale with each other, or maybe even fully connected without needing loading screens? That last part might be a stretch, though.

considering that they managed to get the entirety of the Great Sea in Wind Waker HD to load at once seamlessly...I'd say that's pretty much exactly the reason.

It makes perfect sense, considering the sheer amount you have to go through each of clock town's areas, and the 3DS can certainly render the entire thing at once. no loading times between the various areas of clock town!! yes!!

jett

D-Member
hopefully it will be truly demented as all hell.

Hm...watching the footage of the game on the EU direct again...I've made another worrying discovery - it doesn't look like Link loses any items or rupees as he falls back through time. Hopefully it's just for the demo and not because they've changed that too...

I'm really sorry man, don't take it personally - but I have to use this gif:

242.gif

It has been proven that Ocarina of Time 3D is built upon the N64 code. The ROM has been decrypted and looked into thoroughly. It is built upon the same base code as the N64 version, uses the same system calls and basic geometry and even includes beta textures and models from the original N64 game.

This isn't even mentioning that almost every glitch from OOT 64 is still in OOT 3D, even the really obscure ones. Why? Same basic code. Hell, Ocarina of Time 3D even includes the original v1.1 fire temple music with chanting hidden inside the ROM, as well as this beta room from the N64 version that was never actually used:

That's really interesting info, thanks.

Really unsurprising too. The game just looks like it builds off the original.

Neiteio

Wow, that's some good analysis. I hadn't even noticed that Clock Town has been changed so drastically. It's my favorite town in a video game, so the idea of it being even larger and more fleshed out is very exciting to me.

Fits in with Aonuma's previous remarks. Ocarina of Time is the "sacred cow" that can't be messed with, but they have ample opportunity to to play around with Majora's Mask.
All of those design changes to Clock Town look great. South Clock Town looks huge now, with the new symmetrical ramps to either side of the clock tower, and the northern wall moved farther back, and the laundry pool ramp moved farther from the West Clock Town entrance and recessed deep into the southern wall. Much more spacious now, which should also make it more navigable for new players.

Ah, that takes me back to when I was in middle school and chanced upon the demo for MM at Toys "R" Us. I remember how amazing it felt being lost in a new 3D Zelda after memorizing OoT front to back. I remember getting lost in Clock Town and staring up at the moon in first-person as the balls from the two jugglers crisscrossed the air. :)

Perhaps that's why some of the characters like the carpenter have been moved to different positions? Actually, come to think it, I don't think that guy ever really moved from the spot in the original game. Maybe not then.

Perhaps that's why some of the characters like the carpenter have been moved to different positions. Actually, come to think it, I don't think that guy ever really moved from the spot in the original game. Maybe not then.

Hmmm for some reason I feel like he did move. I remember him being on both the top ledge and the bottom part beneath the tower, but I could be wrong.

considering that they managed to get the entirety of the Great Sea in Wind Waker HD to load at once seamlessly...I'd say that's pretty much exactly the reason.

It makes perfect sense, considering the sheer amount you have to go through each of clock town's areas, and the 3DS can certainly render the entire thing at once. no loading times between the various areas of clock town!! yes!!

I was about to say that might not be possible due to the doorways being filled with black, but... I think I might have just imagined it, because I don't think we've seen any doorways straight on in the footage so far. Plus, in the N64 version, South Clock Town is already connected visually to a partially loaded West and East Clock Town (no doorway for two of the entrances). I will be greatly impressed if they can pull off loading the entire town and removing the black shadows from the doorways.

Rich!

I remember how amazing it felt being lost in a new 3D Zelda after memorizing OoT front to back. I remember getting lost in Clock Town and staring up at the moon in first-person as the balls from the two jugglers crisscrossed the air. :)

heh, I remember when I got it at christmas day 2000, and it was glorious

I had been following news about it for ages, from the day it was first revealed as Zelda: Gaiden. I remember the day when IGN revealed that the Legend of Zelda overworld theme was returning in Majora's Mask, and I remember when I spent literally an entire day downloading through a 56k modem a tiny resolution video of the moon's impact on clock town because I was so goddamn hyped.

aside from the simple fact that I have 300 posts in this thread, there's also this to prove just how crazy I am about majora's mask:

Neiteio

heh, I remember when I got it at christmas day 2000, and it was glorious

I had been following news about it for ages, from the day it was first revealed as Zelda: Gaiden. I remember the day when IGN revealed that the Legend of Zelda overworld theme was returning in Majora's Mask, and I remember when I spent literally an entire day downloading through a 56k modem a tiny resolution video of the moon's impact on clock town because I was so goddamn hyped.

aside from the simple fact that I have 300 posts in this thread, there's also this to prove just how crazy I am about majora's mask:
Haha, that's awesome :-D

Rich!

Any update on how it will play on New 3DS?

nope, not until NOA acknowledge that the new 3ds exists.

I personally think there will be enhanced features for it (better framerate, c stick camera control, extra item slots for the new shoulder buttons), as it will coincide with the western launch.

NateDog

It says the words "Pay Now" as just meaning you are ending the check out process. They should have made it say "Place Order". I ordered 3 hours ago and not even a pending charge. Another poster wrote in here that they don't charge til they ship.

No they actually tried to charge me and my card was denied. Stupid GAME.

Rich!

No they actually tried to charge me and my card was denied. Stupid GAME.

yeah, lol. I tried it too. I made sure to transfer all of my money apart from £10 into my savings account. it was declined, as they were trying to charge me the full amount.

fuck that. I'm not willing to give an unsecured loan to a company that has recently come out of administration for a game that isn't out until mid next year. That's a horrendous risk.

Grizzo

Woah this is your challenge? That's kinda awesome. I think I'll give it a try this weekend! :D

hoooooly shit. what are you waiting for?! Super Star Ultra has:

haha yes I'm aware of all the things they added but sometimes I like to dust off the Super Nintendo and play it with a friend, it's a fun game to play no matter what

don't worry someday I'll get the DS version though!

Rich!

Woah this is your challenge? That's kinda awesome. I think I'll give it a try this weekend! :D

yeah! that's mine! Make sure you don't use the song of inverted time! It's actually quite fun, and harder than you would assume - as you finish each lap, you run out of more and more bushes to get magic power from. So you have to find alternate routes and be very careful throughout!

I remember when I got that issue after school one day, and I was reading through it in the car on the way home. I got to that page and read through it

and then I was like WAIT A FUCKING MINUTE, WHAAAAAT. it was like, my heart stopped. I won something, finally! That action replay was amazing. It was the perfect tool for me and my goldeneye playing mates - we could finally have deathmatches using the entire layouts of facility and archives!

Grizzo

Yeah this and the mask salesman scene is way too bright. Other than that, the brightness is perfect and it maintains the darkness of the original.

I don't really like the original fight, most of the time I don't even understand what's going on on the screen. I think it's pretty cool they changed the lightning in this fight.

Rich!

I don't really like the original fight, most of the time I don't even understand what's going on on the screen. I think it's pretty cool they changed the lightning in this fight.

yep.

it's a simple fight, but it's also the most frustrating boss fight ever
apart from the bed of chaos.

Grizzo

yeah! that's mine! Make sure you don't use the song of inverted time! It's actually quite fun, and harder than you would assume - as you finish each lap, you run out of more and more bushes to get magic power from. So you have to find alternate routes and be very careful throughout!

I remember when I got that issue after school one day, and I was reading through it in the car on the way home. I got to that page and read through it

and then I was like WAIT A FUCKING MINUTE, WHAAAAAT. it was like, my heart stopped. I won something, finally! That action replay was amazing. It was the perfect tool for me and my goldeneye playing mates - we could finally have deathmatches using the entire layouts of facility and archives!

That challenge should be entertaining since I do like to just roll around Termina as a Goron sometimes. It's a fun time-waster haha.

I hope you still have that Action Replay with you and didn't throw it away or something!

Rich!

I hope you still have that Action Replay with you and didn't throw it away or something!

Well about that...whilst I was away in France on a school trip, my brother decided it would be a good idea to play SNES games on my N64 by plugging Link to the Past into it via the action replay. Obviously, that didn't work and was a fucking stupid idea.

It not only killed the action replay, it also killed my N64. LTTP was safe, just lost the saves.

so yeah. I was really pissed off when I got back home. However, the next day my parents bought me this:

OH SHIT...

During the Japanese Nintendo Direct, the moon actually shifts his eyes and looks directly at the screen.

heh. well, of course. why? because (SPOILER)
ITS ALIVE. I can't wait to see the scene before you get transported to it when the moon declares it will consume everything and opens its mouth...

edit: wait, do you mean the bit with iwata? because the moon looks at him in all the directs. its just a joke for the presentation, not anything that happens in game.

TheMoon

This would be sooo good. Those loading transitions can get so annoying.

Rich!

This would be sooo good. Those loading transitions can get so annoying.

yep

I do love the introduction cutscene for each area on your first playthrough - but there's absolutely no reason why they can't be kept in this version, even if the entire town is fully seamless (which really for such a "small" location, it should be)

it would help significantly with some quests - such as when you have to follow that old lady before she gets mugged, and for when you're finding the bomber kids.

considering that they managed to get the entirety of the Great Sea in Wind Waker HD to load at once seamlessly...

You know, given that pop-in is still prevalent across every island and major setpiece and the game often lags if you approach certain islands from certain angles at top speed... I'm not totally convinced they actually achieved this.

Rich!

You know, given that pop-in is still prevalent across every island and major setpiece and the game often lags if you approach certain islands from certain angles at top speed... I'm not totally convinced they actually achieved this.

yep but the fact is, as stated in the iwata laughs article, they tried!

so this will be a chance for them to get it right

3bdelilah

Banned
Still plenty of darkness in the game:

LoZMM_Nov052014_01.bmp
LoZMM_Nov052014_10.bmp
LoZMM_Nov052014_09.bmp

These three images in particular look amazing and definitely better than their N64 in my opinion. Granted, the moon looks less subtle and therefore a little less creepy, but still. Just look at the sky in Clocktown, dripping with atmosphere!

TheMoon

yep

I do love the introduction cutscene for each area on your first playthrough - but there's absolutely no reason why they can't be kept in this version, even if the entire town is fully seamless (which really for such a "small" location, it should be)

it would help significantly with some quests - such as when you have to follow that old lady before she gets mugged, and for when you're finding the bomber kids.

Well what if they redid it to create a introscene that covers the whole town!

Source please? I would love to corroborate it :)

I think it's simply common sense plus the old job posting. Why wouldn't it be Grezzo.

Rich!

yeah I mean if the moon looked like this:

image.php

then maybe we could say "ok maybe grezzo isn't working on this after all"

Neiteio

These three images in particular look amazing and definitely better than their N64 in my opinion. Granted, the moon looks less subtle and therefore a little less creepy, but still. Just look at the sky in Clocktown, dripping with atmosphere!
The old moon looks so flat. The new moon looks like it's snarling. I love it. :)

Joqu

I wonder if it's actually Hyrule Warriors that borrowed Majora's Mask 3D's moon in the first place. The OOT based models in that game all seem borrowed from OOT3D and who knows when they started working on this

I wonder if it's actually Hyrule Warriors that borrowed Majora's Mask 3D's moon in the first place. The OOT based models in that game all seem borrowed from OOT3D and who knows when they started working on this

What if... Hyrule Warriors is just an HD test for HD ports of Ocarina of Time 3D, Majora's Mask 3D, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword?

Rich!

The old moon looks so flat. The new moon looks like it's snarling. I love it. :)

that's because the old moon is pretty flat :p

see:

the new model is vastly better and will look amazing in 3D. The issue with the MM 64 moon is that its a different model for every single area. The one in clock town is different to all others. The one in Ikana is completely different as it's viewed from the side and as such, required a different model for the features to stand out more.

MM 3D's moon looks to be consistent throughout the game world, which is why it's required a redesign.

Joqu

What if... Hyrule Warriors is just an HD test for HD ports of Ocarina of Time 3D, Majora's Mask 3D, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword?

Haha, maybe not but it definitely won't hurt to have all these assets sitting around.

They did release some nice HQ Skyward Sword renders for promoting that game so they'd probably be basing things on that. Can't imagine Ninty isn't keeping all that stuff around nowadays

Top Bottom