• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3DS announced!

Persona7

Banned
I really like that deep purple and red sky. I hope to see more of those colors.

runninginalleyg9sj0.jpg

Jamix012

Screw how this looks compared to MM 3D. The 3DS is much older now than when OoT 3D came out. I want to see if they squeezed more out of the system, give me some comparisons to OoT 3D.

jakeumms

I'm so glad I never bought the Virtual Console version of this. I've always had a gut feeling this would come out.

It's funny they played up the creepiness of the game in the trailer. Is it really that disturbing or is that because of Ben Drowned?

I'm so glad I never bought the Virtual Console version of this. I've always had a gut feeling this would come out.

It's funny they played up the creepiness of the game in the trailer. Is it really that disturbing or is that because of Ben Drowned?

Some portions are macabre, but the overall eeriness might be considered overstated over the years. I feel that OoT is a bit more consistent with its creepiness, since the game was less cartoony.

Rich!

as I posted before,

I wouldn't say it's scary in the traditional sense. It's harrowing and emotional throughout. You develop personal involvement with each character throughout the days, and you witness characters go through the stages of denial and grief before accepting (or not) their certain deaths. You help ease the pain of a wounded character, who dies. You then turn his soul into a mask and transform into him with a twisted cutscene of you screaming in pain. You encounter a mother and child who have to accept that they will both die the next day. You meet characters who stay upbeat and positive for the first two days, only to end up cowering in their rooms during the final hours of their life once they realize that yes, they too are going to die and no one is going to save them.

There is a constant feel of dread and the atmosphere is constantly foreboding, dark and twisted throughout. The few elements of happiness are tinged with a surreal and disturbing feel. You help a separated couple get back together and marry in the final moments before the world ends. It's beautiful, yet bittersweet because even though they are now together, they have to comfort each other knowing the world will end in a few hours time, declaring they will not run or separate again and they will "see the morning arrive...together".

The antagonist, Majora, has no motive other than to cause pain and suffering by killing everyone. Even after you save the world, certain characters still have an unhappy ending - such as one who's son is murdered by Majora before entering Termina (and as such, Link's time travel could not fix that).

Hope that all helps you understand it a bit better. Twilight Princess is the Teletubbies compared to Majora's Mask. And Majora's Mask is certainly without a doubt the darkest and most disturbing game Nintendo have ever developed.

Shaanyboi

Banned
You're underselling MM3D here. The comparison pics show this isn't just "a few retouched effects and textures." Rebuild environments, completely new textures for almost everything seen so far.

Some more things here: http://forums.zeldaspeedruns.com/index.php?topic=1722
Cool that they're reworking Clock Town a bit but nothing about what they've rebuilt looks all that severe. More likely they're rescaling the town to make it one big environment rather than filled with a bunch of loading gates. Unless they start altering solutions to puzzles, dungeons etc., I think my definition still stands though. It's not like OOT didn't have retouched level geometry or textures either.

zeldarocks

Neo Member
as I posted before,

I wouldn't say it's scary in the traditional sense. It's harrowing and emotional throughout. You develop personal involvement with each character throughout the days, and you witness characters go through the stages of denial and grief before accepting (or not) their certain deaths. You help ease the pain of a wounded character, who dies. You then turn his soul into a mask and transform into him with a twisted cutscene of you screaming in pain. You encounter a mother and child who have to accept that they will both die the next day. You meet characters who stay upbeat and positive for the first two days, only to end up cowering in their rooms during the final hours of their life once they realize that yes, they too are going to die and no one is going to save them.

There is a constant feel of dread and the atmosphere is constantly foreboding, dark and twisted throughout. The few elements of happiness are tinged with a surreal and disturbing feel. You help a separated couple get back together and marry in the final moments before the world ends. It's beautiful, yet bittersweet because even though they are now together, they have to comfort each other knowing the world will end in a few hours time, declaring they will not run or separate again and they will "see the morning arrive...together".

The antagonist, Majora, has no motive other than to cause pain and suffering by killing everyone. Even after you save the world, certain characters still have an unhappy ending - such as one who's son is murdered by Majora before entering Termina (and as such, Link's time travel could not fix that).

Hope that all helps you understand it a bit better. Twilight Princess is the Teletubbies compared to Majora's Mask. And Majora's Mask is certainly without a doubt the darkest and most disturbing game Nintendo have ever developed.

Whose son was murdered by Majora? 0.o

Are you talking about the Deku Butler?

Rich!

Whose son was murdered by Majora? 0.o

Are you talking about the Deku Butler?

Yes. He's the frozen statue that tatl points out after you are transformed into a deku. At the end of the game after you save the world, you see the Deku butler crying over his dead son.

zeldarocks

Neo Member
Is it bad that I'm more excited for a remake of a 15 year-old game than I am for anything else Nintendo has coming out?

BTW: Holy Shit...

15 years ago, I was like 7 when this game first came out... Fuck me.

Joeku

Is it bad that I'm more excited for a remake of a 15 year-old game than I am for anything else Nintendo has coming out?

BTW: Holy Shit...

15 years ago, I was like 7-8 when this game first came out... Fuck me.

God, I was 12. The perfect age to start feeling "emo" about things.

Anteo

Question..
Everytime you go to the dawn of the first day the quests reset (you still keep the mask rewards), so.. is it possible to help everyone in a single 3 day cycle and then beat the game? I dont think I ever tried that..

Grief.exe

Question..
Everytime you go to the dawn of the first day the quests reset (you still keep the mask rewards), so.. is it possible to help everyone in a single 3 day cycle and then beat the game? I dont think I ever tried that..

Nope.

The game is meant for you to restart the cycle multiple times.

VRMN

Question..

I don't believe so, no. I'm pretty sure there's at least one quest that's too involved to be doing it and then beating the game just by itself.

Anteo

Nope.

The game is meant for you to restart the cycle multiple times.

So basically, while the ending shows everyone you helped in any given cycle happy, you actually cant help them all, ever.

Edit:

I think I recall a couple of quest that needed you at the end of the 3rd day in two different places
Anju and Kafei, and the old lady quest iirc

Christopher

Also Majora's Mask AND Ocarina of Time together make one big good coesive game experience I love that it's a direct sequel...if they made one more it would have ben amazing.

It keeps everything good about OoT the Ocarina theme playing a big part, the characters, the nod that you actually completed the adventure in OoT is very satisifying. I can't have one without the other.

I'm so happy it's coming out.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I remember when OoT was still fresh in everyone's mind and Nintendo Power had a short column mentioning a "Zelda Gaiden" with one screenshot from MM.

That hype will never be forgotten.

zeldarocks

Neo Member
Guys, genuine worry:

Could Nintendo/Grezzo screw up the remake?

I'm referring to the dark, surreal content in particular; as we all know, Grezzo did censor portions of the Bottom of the Well and Shadow Temple in order to obtain that E10 rating.

I fear that the same terrible fate (I had to) could await Majora's Mask.

The game might simply be too dark and spooky/emotional for the kiddies, who after all, are their main demographic.

Christopher

Guys, genuine worry:

I'm referring to the dark, surreal content in particular; as we all know, Grezzo did censor portions of the Bottom of the Well and Shadow Temple in order to obtain that E10 rating.

The game might simply be too dark and spooky/emotional for the kiddies, who after all, are their main demographic.

None of those edits had any effect on Ocarina of Time whatsoever and the trailer looks like t keeps the creepy theme intact

Neiteio

Guys, genuine worry:

I can't think of anything that would be edited out in Majora's Mask. It's dark, sure, but no gore comes to mind.

They'd have to cut out the entire game then. The presence of death and demise is about everywhere and the entire area leading up to and including the final dungeon is like OoT took a trip to hell.

Lernaean

Banned
No they actually tried to charge me and my card was denied. Stupid GAME.

I don' know why your card was denied. maybe if you are not using a CC, then you should have money in your card or something, but in any case they don't charge you now.
This is a part from my confirmation email :

This next bit's really important if you paid by card! We know it sounds obvious but make sure you've entered your card details correctly. We'll only take payment a few days before the title is released. If your card doesn't work for any reason, we won't be able to guarantee your order, so you might miss out. So, make sure you've put your details in correctly. If you change your card, get a new one or move address let us know. And finally, make sure you've got money on the card!

Crisium

Question..

Almost. I did that on my most recent playthrough - almost every sidequest that actually helps a character in one day again before the final dungeon. I love the game and world so much, I just have to.

Technically you cannot help everyone since the Anju Kaffei sidequest requires allowing the old lady to be robbed. And I also don't rescue the Great Faries or the skulltula guys since that would require doing dungeons and simply isn't possible with everything else - I'll just assume they are ok after Majora's defeat. I do unite the frogs though, of course. There's other exceptions, but in general I try to make everyone in the world happy before I save it.

I made a schedule of everything that had to be done at which hours, and it was incredibly satisfying.

FluxWaveZ

One of my favorite Zelda songs. My favorite Zelda game next to Wind Waker. Not really one for remakes, but I've been remembering just how much I loved this game—as one of the first console games I've ever played—and I've just now realized a remake is something I've wanted for a long while now.

Neiteio

One of my favorite Zelda songs. My favorite Zelda game next to Wind Waker. Not really one for remakes, but I've been remembering just how much I loved this game—as one of the first console games I've ever played—and I've just now realized a remake is something I've wanted for a long while now.
Man, that song plus the gravitational tremors of the earth as the moon fills up the sky, makes the third day... quite something.

SHarris78

So how do you go about completing this game then? I remember buying it back in the day, and when it reset back to the first day I thought 'sod that' and gave up.

Do you need to go through the 3 days multiple times, and if so does is get repetitive?

Neiteio

So how do you go about completing this game then? I remember buying it back in the day, and when it reset back to the first day I thought 'sod that' and gave up.

Do you need to go through the 3 days multiple times, and if so does is get repetitive?
You can only accomplish so much in a 72-hour cycle. However, when you travel back in time, you keep any key items you collected, and the warp points you found stay active.

So for example, you might spend one 72-hour cycle working your way through the southern swamp until you reach the entrance to Woodfall Temple. Then you'll activate the warp point there, and travel back in time to give yourself a full 72 hours to complete the dungeon. One in-game hour is about one minute in real life. You can slow down time using the Inverted Song of Time, giving yourself between two and three real-life hours per cycle. Also, time doesn't pass during cutscenes, when characters are talking or when you pause the game.

It's not repetitive at all, since you'll uncover new things in each 72-hour cycle. And it makes the game world feel so much more alive, since NPCs actually have schedules and walk around the world and do different things at different times. Events happen whether you're there to see them or not. For example, Romani Ranch is invaded by aliens at 2 a.m. on the night of the first day. It's quite tragic if you get there after the fact, but if you get there in time, you can make a difference. If not, well, you can time-travel and try again!

Fiktion

Banned

Of course you need to go through the 3 days multiple times, that's the whole point and what makes the game unique. Ever seen Groundhog Day? If not, do so, and you'll immediately appreciate why this is a brilliant idea.

You've only truly completed Majora's Mask once you've collected all the masks, and to do that you have to come to understand the people and places around you, how they behave and change over the three days, and solve their problems. There are NPCs who in any other game would be pointless cardboard cutouts, and at first glance they're total strangers. But being able to relive the three days allows you to get to know all of them on an intimate level. This is rewarding in its own right, and you get an expanded ending, but the game also rewards you by giving you the most awesome Zelda item in whole series when you're done:

Get-Fierce-Deity%27s-Mask-on-Majora%27s-Mask-Step-6.jpg

It makes you feel like God, and by that time you've earned it.

Top Bottom