• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3DS announced!

Due to the dearth of dungeon bosses and the relative strength of the dungeon design that generally goes underappreciated due to the way most people handle the global time limit, I'm kind of wondering whether it might be a better idea to include a dungeon rush in the 3DS game rather than something like OoT 3D's boss mode. Especially if they included the mini-dungeons and the Moon alongside the four main ones.
There's so much they can do with this remake it's blowing my mind. I don't want to get my hopes up by thinking about all these incredible potential features though! But damn, a NG+ mode with Fierce Deity Link now being a possibility, boss/dungeon rush mode, etc all would be incredible.

Before this was officially announced I was thinking it'd be cool if there was a mode that you'd have all the items and such that you need, and you can access any dungeon in any order you want, kinda similar to ALBW. That would make for some great replayability,

I do wonder if this screenshot comparison implies you can use Fierce Deity anywhere:
O217Pm3.jpg

Bigger doors?

RIDLEY CONFIRMED FOR MM

Haldinian

I don't think that a Fierce Deity Link quest or something like using it anywhere is gonna happen (but maybe something with the adult Link of OoT sounds a bit more probable...).

Anyway, that entrance proves nothing.

Rich!

well...I was wrong about the PAL version of MM64 being 17fps max. sorry. just tested it again.

it's 16fps. Here it is with the fraps counter:

iRjsRhzvrFKF4.png

ib255SqBfBjpEf.png

16fps max during any 3D or gameplay.

iIsKTPaRgen3.png

the save menu seems to run at around 50fps, oddly.

ibpwPMiEaULlX7.png

inventory runs at 24fps. right where framerate is most important!!

i85P6P6yjSWLn.png

larger areas - uh oh

ijuWvUX4W7B4U.png

aw shit...

Now...after looking at that, is there anyone out there that still feels that this game doesn't deserve a 3DS version?

Nilaul

I always thought that Ocarinia of Time and Majora's mask felt cinematic with slowmo effects upon hitting enemies; didn't realise that it was partially because of its framerate.

Nicktendo86

I always thought that Ocarinia of Time and Majora's mask felt cinematic with slowmo effects upon hitting enemies; didn't realise that it was partially because of its framerate.
Funny that they actually added that pause effect in winder waker, they must have thought it was good!

Rich!

More proof (not that its needed), that OOT3D is ported from the N64 code:

Nabooru is still inside every single Iron Knuckle.

Leftover beta N64 link model.

N64 great fairy model

And a quote by the guy behind the program shown above:

It's far more likely that Grezzo, who ported the game to the 3DS, were given the original game data, before ex. the models were converted into N64 F3DEX2 display lists, and based their work on that. They ported the game engine (not graphics!) to the 3DS - which was written in C to begin with -, rewrote that to use whatever formats the 3DS uses for 3D models, for music and sound effects, then added 3DS-specific stuff like touch screen support. Then somewhere along the line, the assets - models, textures, etc. - were updated or redone to have a higher resolution, more details, whatever.

So yeah, it's still a shitload of work they did. Apply that to Majora's Mask and it's not hard to see how it has taken 4 years for such a small team.

But at the same time, if I were in that position now, I'd probably just wait to avoid a "just been here recently" feeling.

Even worse than a "just been here recently" feeling, what if they do like they did with Ocarina 3D? I had just played the Wii VC version of Ocarina a few months earlier, so I bought the 3DS game thinking "awesome, now I can try me some Master Quest!" ...but as we know now, you have to play through the entire game to unlock the Master Quest, and by the time I finally did that, I wasn't in the mood to play through the game a third time even with a newly unlocked Master Quest. If they add a Master Quest type thing to Majora 3D and lock it behind a full playthrough of the normal game, you definitely don't want to be playing the game before you get the 3DS version.

Grizzo

I own a PAL copy of the game and never was once bothered by the low framerate.

But I'm sure it's gonna be almost impossible to go back to it after having played through MM3D.

Anth0ny

Play it on the Gamecube. Better resolution and has rumble support. Team Zelda Collector's Edition for life.

Definitely don't do this unless you want the game freezing on you while you were in the middle of a side quest on day 3.

Virtual console is the best version of the game right now.

Rich!

Play it on the Gamecube. Better resolution and has rumble support. Team Zelda Collector's Edition for life.

hahaha, no, please no.

I used to think the same as you do. Until I finished Snowhead Temple with all the stray fairies on the gamecube version and the fucking thing crashed on me.

Volotaire

The GCN version is the worst because of the apparent lockup and audio issues that are due to emulation. I didn't experience any lockup in my playtime with it, so I guess I was lucky too.

Rich!

The GCN version never did freeze on me when I played through it. Guess I was lucky.

very, very lucky

with a game like Majora's Mask, you do not want the risk of the game crashing - and the Gamecube emulation is buggy as fuck.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The GCN version never did freeze on me when I played through it. Guess I was lucky.

It only froze up for me twice during an entire playthrough of the game. However, with the way the save system works in MM, one freeze may as well be ten freezes for any other game :/

You were lucky

The game crashed on me during the ending. By that point I had already played and beaten MM countless times on the N64 so it didn't matter too much, but I was still mad.

Rich!

I've just ripped and uploaded the 720p 60fps trailer for the game. Watch it and download it here.

And yes, it is 60fps throughout (tested with FRAPS). Whether it really is 60fps in the game or whether its motion interpolation isn't clear - but if it's the former then that's amazing, if incredibly unlikely. It could also possibly be enhanced for the New Nintendo 3DS to run in 60fps when played on it of course and the footage could be from that.

Either way, why would Nintendo upload a 60fps trailer for a game unless it is actually 60fps? They know full well what they're doing, because they've gone and replaced a lot of trailers with 60fps versions recently such as the E3 Yoshi's Woolly World trailer.

I'm still pretty sure the larger door is just to let Zora Link and Goron Link get down there without clipping through the ceiling like in the original game. Don't get hyped thinking FD everywhere confirmed!

TheMoon

I've just ripped and uploaded the 720p 60fps trailer for the game. Watch it and download it here.

And yes, it is 60fps throughout (tested with FRAPS). Whether it really is 60fps in the game or whether its motion interpolation isn't clear - but if it's the former then that's amazing, if incredibly unlikely. It could also possibly be enhanced for the New Nintendo 3DS to run in 60fps when played on it of course and the footage could be from that.

Either way, why would Nintendo upload a 60fps trailer for a game unless it is actually 60fps? They know full well what they're doing, because they've gone and replaced a lot of trailers with 60fps versions recently such as the E3 Yoshi's Woolly World trailer.

*cough* new 3Ds enhanced *cough*

Rich!

*cough* new 3Ds enhanced *cough*

Yep, I really do think its inevitable. They just wont announce it until they've unveiled the N3DS in the west. It'll work as a selling point for its launch, because what else is there?

I would assume that playing it on a N3DS will result in the following:

- 60fps
- C stick camera control
- Two extra item slots for the new shoulder buttons

I also think there will be amiibo support too. Obviously that would be for both consoles, but it would be better on the New3DS of course. I can see them releasing a Skull Kid and Fierce Deity amiibo.

Neiteio

So how do you guys think Nintendo will make Majora's Mask more accessible? I'm sure they're keenly aware that many people had trouble understanding how the game works.

I'm thinking they'll do the following:

- Permanent saves at the owl statues, instead of suspend saves: This change would be right in line with ALBW and SS. It also minimizes any confusion, since there will only be one way to save. The only downside is some players may cheat the system by resetting from owl statues when they fail an event, which undermines the tension that was there when failure meant having to do everything all over again. But those of us who care can still get the "authentic" experience by NOT cheating the system.

- Keep all items when traveling back in time: In the N64 version, you'd lose disposable items like arrows, bombs, etc., when traveling back in time. But this just seems like a needless complication. I bet they'll let you keep ALL your items when you time-travel now, which means one less caveat to explain. The bank in West Clock Town will still have a purpose by allowing you to exceed your wallet's limit. Running low on arrows and bombs? Make a withdrawal from the bank and visit the Trading Post across the street. Everything still serves a purpose.

- Call more attention to important features: I think there should be several more instances in Clock Town where NPCs teach you about the Inverted Song of Time. Rather than trusting players to find the scarecrow, maybe they'll just straight-up tell you this time. It could be something the Happy Mask Salesman tells you, and that the Scarecrow repeats. Maybe even have Tatl remind you periodically.

One more idea they might consider...

- Increase the time players have: In the N64 version, one hour in-game was roughly one minute in real life. With the Inverted Song of Time, you could double that. But what if they were to increase time further? What if by default, one hour in-game was two minutes in real life? They'd need to rework the rate at which certain NPCs walk around towns, etc., but hey, we already know South Clock Town is being expanded, and presumably the rest of Clock Town with it, so maybe that extra walking distance will allow them to increase the length of each in-game hour.

Neiteio

Interesting point and I hope it's true.
I don't think the taller entrance to the sewer means anything, since the Goron and Zora are roughly the same height as the Fierce Deity, and when those two walked into the sewer, the camera would clip through the ceiling. This change is probably just a fix so you can walk into the sewers as the Goron or Zora and the camera won't clip through the walls.

Please stop listening to the OST...you need to experience at least some of hearing it in the game for the first time!! :)
I've actually taken the OST out of my library so that it doesn't play and tempt me to start playing it now. Plus it'll help some of the tracks seem fresher if I haven't heard them in months.
I'd do a lot of things for a HD remaster of Twilight Princess.
Just play it on a PC with Dolphin. It's pretty much a HD remaster and it looks incredible!

AniHawk

I'd do a lot of things for a HD remaster of Twilight Princess.

well they've remade pretty much everything else except for the two most recent 3d zeldas. i would hope tp hd gets done at some point. unfortunately, it lacks the loyal fanbase that built up mm, oot, or even tww. it just has a lot of people who really like it. even skyward sword seems to have more of a following these days.

Isn't there a difference between the Japanese and Western versions in terms of saving and the owl statues? I wonder if they'll keep those differences for each version or if they'll unify them.

Neiteio

The hand in the toilet reminds me that I need closure on that whole character. Maybe in this remake/remaster/port, the hand can drag your ass down into a new dungeon and you can see the character in all its shit-stained glory.

Neiteio

I had the GCN version freeze on me during the quest to reunite Anju and Kafei, and on the third night in the thief's hideout, of all times and places. I also remember there being some sound issues.

I was still very thankful for the GCN collection, but nowadays, the Wii VC is the best way to (officially) experience the N64 original. Of course, I'd recommend everyone just wait for the 3DS version at this point. :)

zeldablue

The hand in the toilet reminds me that I need closure on that whole character. Maybe in this remake/remaster/port, the hand can drag your ass down into a new dungeon and you can see the character in all its shit-stained glory.
I think the hand is a reference to a scary Japanese Urban Legend.

If you are sitting on the toilet (usually the last stall), a mysterious voice will ask you if you want red paper or blue paper. If you answer red paper, you will be sliced apart until your clothes are stained red. If you choose blue paper, you will be strangled until your face turns blue. Any attempt to outsmart Aka Manto by asking for a different color will result in you being dragged to the Netherworld. The only correct answer is to say no paper and he will leave you alone

Oh sweet Jesus.

Zero²

Just play it on a PC with Dolphin. It's pretty much a HD remaster and it looks incredible!
Ugh I have terrible experiences with Dolphin, and my pc is not half bad. That horse missions where you have to defend the cart, run and aim, were specially bad. And boy the framerate was terrible.

Gsnap

Man, this game. I'm glad this remaster is coming out, if only for the fact that it gets people talking about it again. This is probably my favorite game to use as an example of "games as art" and for how to properly integrate story, themes, and gameplay (something even games like TLOU don't do as well as MM).

This game needs to be studied in game design classes.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Isn't there a difference between the Japanese and Western versions in terms of saving and the owl statues? I wonder if they'll keep those differences for each version or if they'll unify them.

Yep. Japanese version didn't have owl statue suspend saves. The only way to save on the Japanese version was to play the Song of Time. Because of the amount of memory suspend saves took, though, non-Japanese versions had the number of save files reduced from three to two. The Japanese version had three save files just like every other Zelda game.

I'm guessing the save system will be reconciled between versions this time around. It looks like they're overhauling the save system anyway, and I'm sure save file memory isn't really an issue anymore.

Top Bottom