• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3DS announced!

zeldablue

Man, this game. I'm glad this remaster is coming out, if only for the fact that it gets people talking about it again. This is probably my favorite game to use as an example of "games as art" and for how to properly integrate story, themes, and gameplay (something even games like TLOU don't do as well as MM).

This game needs to be studied in game design classes.

Yeah. Just the way the masks and time limit alone are integrated into the gameplay and story blows my mind.

Silent Hill 2 would be another game I would consider "high art" but it doesn't quite go as far as Majora's Mask in terms of gameplay + narrative integration.

zeldarocks

Neo Member
I just bought Ocarina of Time 3D, albeit used from Amazon, to tide me over until Majora's Mask drops...

I already beat OoT 3D before I traded it in, but now I have this urge to replay it...

Mak

More proof (not that its needed), that OOT3D is ported from the N64 code:

So yeah, it's still a shitload of work they did. Apply that to Majora's Mask and it's not hard to see how it has taken 4 years for such a small team.

They mentioned using the source code in the Iwata Asks for Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/zelda-ocarina-of-time/3/5

Moriya: The last year has been one mad scramble. I think the staff did a great job and I think the enthusiasm of the original developers came across through the old source code.

There were about seven programs for one boss. With regard to incomplete portions, someone had written a note saying, "I'm relying on…whoever's next." I wonder who that meant? (laughs)

Iwata: Huh? Was there really such a note? Like a time capsule, the source code contains feelings from the past.

Aonuma: It's less a time capsule than a curse! (laughs)

Moriya: When the staff members saw the source code, they got pumped up and development fell into a nice groove. Something that really pleased me was when we submitted the first ROM and everyone at Nintendo said, "Ahh, this is The Legend of Zelda!" That helped me. Because of that, I thought, "This is the right way to go!" and felt at ease.

Aonuma: I was surprised then at how much you could do in such a short period of time.

Ishii: Aonuma-san, when we saw everyone enjoying the ROM, it really encouraged us. Seeing those happy expressions on the faces of the original staff members strengthened our feeling that we could make a good version of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time for the Nintendo 3DS system.

Ikuta: I don't think releasing the exact same game would have been very pleasing—to me, either. My own feelings and environment have changed over the years, so if I were to play the same game, it wouldn't move me the same way.

But with this game, it's like the same feeling from before is in my hands but as something new. I want as many people as possible to experience that.

Iwata: That's right. If anyone thinks of this as a simple port, I would like to ask that they take a second look.

And yes, it is 60fps throughout (tested with FRAPS). Whether it really is 60fps in the game or whether its motion interpolation isn't clear - but if it's the former then that's amazing, if incredibly unlikely. It could also possibly be enhanced for the New Nintendo 3DS to run in 60fps when played on it of course and the footage could be from that.

Either way, why would Nintendo upload a 60fps trailer for a game unless it is actually 60fps? They know full well what they're doing, because they've gone and replaced a lot of trailers with 60fps versions recently such as the E3 Yoshi's Woolly World trailer.

Majora's Mask 3D is likely running at 30fps and the video was recorded or outputted at 60fps, and Nintendo took advantage of Youtube's recent upgrade for their videos. You can set a recording program like AmarecTV to record video at 60fps even if the source is 30fps. Even if the game is 30fps, recording it at 60fps is going to make it look better.

Neiteio

Anyone remember this issue of Nintendo Power? I still have it. One of my favorite issues:

Cover.jpg

Such a perfect Halloween game when it came out. It'll be weird playing this in the spring!

Painguy

I think it's pretty much guaranteed to.

edit: Oh, over 3 million...Hmm...I thought it sold significantly less.
OOT3D sold about 3million which is under half as much as the original. So idk if MM3D will be able to hit 3mill like OOT3D. Maybe 1.5mil? Thats still good though right?

Painguy

Then again, the 3DS install base is a lot stronger now than it was when OoT 3D came out.

This is also very very true. How did the N64's install base compare when OOT came out compared to MM? Was it comparable to the difference with the 3DS?

Yeah, that's why I swooped in with that stealth edit. With the way the game's discussed I assumed it never broke the 2 million mark.

yeah I just figured I'd give some more numbers :p

bobawesome

OOT3D sold about 3million which is under half as much as the original. So idk if MM3D will be able to hit 3mill like OOT3D. Maybe 1.5mil? That still wouldnt be that bad.

Yeah, that's why I swooped in with that stealth edit. With the way the game's discussed I assumed it never broke the 2 million mark.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
OOT3D sold about 3million which is under half as much as the original. So idk if MM3D will be able to hit 3mill like OOT3D. Maybe 1.5mil? Thats still good though right?

Considering they already they already have the engine and the assets and it's a remake that should be money in the bank for Nintendo.

I also feel like for some reason OOT had some fatigue when it released that MM just doesn't carry as baggage.

Neiteio

Considering they already they already have the engine and the assets and it's a remake that should be money in the bank for Nintendo.

I also feel like for some reason OOT had some fatigue when it released that MM just doesn't carry as baggage.
I think that's why the MM3D thirst is real. Lots of people haven't played it or barely tried it back in the day. They like Zelda, but they want something different from the boilerplate template used by other Zeldas (I.E. light/dark world, fairytale castles, green hills, blue skies, Triforce, etc). MM will give them something that has Zelda DNA and Zelda quality but is unlike any other Zelda game.

Anth0ny

Man, this game. I'm glad this remaster is coming out, if only for the fact that it gets people talking about it again. This is probably my favorite game to use as an example of "games as art" and for how to properly integrate story, themes, and gameplay (something even games like TLOU don't do as well as MM).

This game needs to be studied in game design classes.

Absolutely. Majora's Mask, Super Metroid and Chrono Trigger are always the games that come to mind for me. Amazing how seemingly little influence Majora's Mask has had on the industry compared to those other two, though ._.

Anyone remember this issue of Nintendo Power? I still have it. One of my favorite issues:

Such a perfect Halloween game when it came out. It'll be weird playing this in the spring!

Yup, still have mine. One of my favorite Nintendo Power covers.

Neiteio

Anyone remember Camp Hyrule? Nintendo used to hold it online for a week each summer. Basically a Flash-animated map of a Nintendo-themed camp, with different areas based on upcoming games. Each area was essentially a chatroom, but you could talk to people from NOA and participate in contests and such. And over the course of the week, the campgrounds changed. I remember Camp Hyrule 2000 had the moon from MM getting closer and closer, and it crashed on the last day. It was basically my first contact with the online gaming community. People were so hyped for MM.

The reason I bring all of this up, is because now I'm all too familiar with the online gaming community, and it'll be interesting to see how they react to MM nowadays, lol.

Gsnap

Absolutely. Majora's Mask, Super Metroid and Chrono Trigger are always the games that come to mind for me. Amazing how seemingly little influence Majora's Mask has had on the industry compared to those other two, though ._.

I assume that just has to do with the fact that it can easily frustrate people, so many people didn't give it the time of day. Which is a shame, because that kind of frustration is one of the things that's great about it. They use their mechanics to make you feel how Link feels. And the frustration can lead to even higher highs when you complete a characters long side quest. Majora's Mask actually makes a more impactful "Groundhogs Day" due to its interactive nature. Whereas the movie gives you glimpses of what it would be like to be stuck in a time loop, it never actually lets the audience feel what the protagonist is feeling because you don't actually live out every day. You don't actually deal with the frustration of the same things happening to you over and over again. Some people may say it's not worth it to even explore these themes if it leads to them not having a good time, but I disagree. It's perfect integration of gameplay and theme, and it tackles narrative in a way that only games can, but many people just think games always need to be fun, so I imagine they didn't give the game the time it needs to sink in.

I understand that it's a hard game to play sometimes, but that doesn't make it any less brilliant. Some movies are hard to watch, and they're still good. Like if a movie has a really well delivered disturbing scene, you may not have fun watching it, and it may be hard for you to watch it again, but you can recognize that it's well made because it makes you feel exactly how the director wanted you to feel.

Games are rarely given the luxury to make gamers feel how they want them to feel if that feeling doesn't translate into some form of "fun".

mantidor

Now I remembered I used to have the most ridiculous and oversized signature possible back when I frequented Gamespot forums...

I know...

It's funny how this was huge back then when HD monitors weren't common, it now looks tiny in comparison heh

zeldarocks

Neo Member
YMMV. I ran into the freezing glitch at a very inopportune moment (thief's hideout on the third night during the Kafei/Anju quest), and the music skipped here and there, but 99% of the time it was fine.

I only experienced the crashing when playing on an actual GameCube.

When I popped the disk into my Wii and played on there, I NEVER crashed.

Am I the only one that had no problems?

FyreWulff

Majora GC crashes/audio problems actually depended on the revision of GameCube motherboard you had, so it's possible the Wii just has the most fixed version of the GC hardware in it.

Same thing where Metroid Prime would crash on certain GameCubes

Neiteio

I only experienced the crashing when playing on an actual GameCube.

When I popped the disk into my Wii and played on there, I NEVER crashed.

Am I the only one that had no problems?

Majora GC crashes/audio problems actually depended on the revision of GameCube motherboard you had, so it's possible the Wii just has the most fixed version of the GC hardware in it.

Same thing where Metroid Prime would crash on certain GameCubes
Interesting. So it depends on the version of your hardware.

zeldablue

Anyone remember Camp Hyrule? Nintendo used to hold it online for a week each summer. Basically a Flash-animated map of a Nintendo-themed camp, with different areas based on upcoming games. Each area was essentially a chatroom, but you could talk to people from NOA and participate in contests and such. And over the course of the week, the campgrounds changed. I remember Camp Hyrule 2000 had the moon from MM getting closer and closer, and it crashed on the last day. It was basically my first contact with the online gaming community. People were so hyped for MM.

The reason I bring all of this up, is because now I'm all too familiar with the online gaming community, and it'll be interesting to see how they react to MM nowadays, lol.

Oh my God.

I was too young for Camp Hyrule 2000, but I was there for 2004, I think. Now your giving me nostalgia attacks. Do any of you guys remember the flash site for Majora's Mask in 2000? The website scared me but I was so curious and wanted to see the website. I have vague memories, but I can never find that site again. (Stupid flash era websites going offline....)

Grief.exe

Now I remembered I used to have the most ridiculous and oversized signature possible back when I frequented Gamespot forums...

I know...

It's funny how this was huge back then when HD monitors weren't common, it now looks tiny in comparison heh

You should remake it with the new high-res art Nintendo released.

zeldablue

I assume that just has to do with the fact that it can easily frustrate people, so many people didn't give it the time of day. Which is a shame, because that kind of frustration is one of the things that's great about it. They use their mechanics to make you feel how Link feels. And the frustration can lead to even higher highs when you complete a characters long side quest. Majora's Mask actually makes a more impactful "Groundhogs Day" due to its interactive nature. Whereas the movie gives you glimpses of what it would be like to be stuck in a time loop, it never actually lets the audience feel what the protagonist is feeling because you don't actually live out every day. You don't actually deal with the frustration of the same things happening to you over and over again. Some people may say it's not worth it to even explore these themes if it leads to them not having a good time, but I disagree. It's perfect integration of gameplay and theme, and it tackles narrative in a way that only games can, but many people just think games always need to be fun, so I imagine they didn't give the game the time it needs to sink in.

I understand that it's a hard game to play sometimes, but that doesn't make it any less brilliant. Some movies are hard to watch, and they're still good. Like if a movie has a really well delivered disturbing scene, you may not have fun watching it, and it may be hard for you to watch it again, but you can recognize that it's well made because it makes you feel exactly how the director wanted you to feel.

Games are rarely given the luxury to make gamers feel how they want them to feel if that feeling doesn't translate into some form of "fun".

Amen. o____o

Lost my shit the split second I heard the first part of the music in that Nintendo Direct. Day one is an understatement. I am so stoked.

And anyone who thinks this is going to "Redeem the 3DS" is a fool. The 3DS is on top of the world... you can't redeem something that does not need redeeming.

I'm quite excited for the possibility of improvements for MM3D! For example, the changes being made to Clock Town's design seem to allow for no load time between different wings of the town.

0uWTNdd.png

Some one posted this on Zelda Universe, and I gotta say that the doorway leading to West Clock Town looks like it won't require any black loading screen. That's awesome! It will make the town feel even more immersive.

Rich!

I'm quite excited for the possibility of improvements for MM3D! For example, the changes being made to Clock Town's design seem to allow for no load time between different wings of the town.

0uWTNdd.png

Some one posted this on Zelda Universe, and I gotta say that the doorway leading to West Clock Town looks like it won't require any black loading screen. That's awesome! It will make the town feel even more immersive.

You can see right into east clock town!! Yeah, they've definitely redesigned the entire town to make it a seamless area. YESSS!!!

If I want to get critical I think MM's weaknesses are its dungeons, which in my opinion are often not memorable and at worst feel rushed. Ocarina bests it in that area, not just in quantity. So if that's something that really attracts you to Zelda, in the same way Twilight Princess has some fucking amazing dungeons (proper successor to Ocarina), Majora's Mask can be disappointing.

But all that just helps forge its own identity. Where everyone more or less agrees each Zelda game, for most part, resonates with its own themes and overall design philosophy, Majora's Mask is one that really, really stands out as its own kinda entity.
I've yet to play a Zelda I'd categorize as bad. I love them for their quirks and differences title to title. Core mechanics may not change drastically in the 3D era, but each has little nuggets of pure genius inlet in their larger design, be it controls, the worlds themselves, the artistic design, or the stories told.

OoT shook me, because I'd honestly never played a 3D action title with that intelligent of a control scheme. I loved WW for refining the control scheme, for it's incredible artistic design, even if the overworld was barren, and it relied on questionable objectives to pad out playtime. Loved TP for it's masterful dungeon design, even if the story was bland, they padded playtime with a boring overworld and the wolf portions, loved SS for reinventing the control scheme in some truly impressive ways, for its involved story (by Zelda standards at least) and organic level design. In spite of unnecessary padding (kind of a running theme in 3D Zeldas) and a relatively barren overworld.

I have little doubt MM will sit high among that pantheon of incredible gaming experiences with every other 3D Zelda I've played.

And these last couple of pages haven't made the wait any easier.

Neiteio

Earlier in this thread, people were posting screencaps of their phone wallpapers using the new art, but I don't recall anyone sharing the cropped art. I've gone ahead and made some myself for my Galaxy S5. Feel free to use them:

Socreges

Banned
Lost my shit the split second I heard the first part of the music in that Nintendo Direct. Day one is an understatement. I am so stoked.

And anyone who thinks this is going to "Redeem the 3DS" is a fool. The 3DS is on top of the world... you can't redeem something that does not need redeeming.
There haven't been many great new releases recently and aren't many in the foreseeable future either. It's on top of the world by sales alone.

SirNinja

0uWTNdd.png

The whole town got renovated, it seems. The entrance to the Laundry Pool is now much more obvious, which is good. In the N64 version it was almost hidden; a little passageway in the corner about half the width of an alley. If
Kafei
hadn't come running out of it during the first few minutes of Day 1, a lot of players probably wouldn't have even found it, at least until they got a map from Tingle and wondered what that small area in the southeast was.

I love the new clock as well. So compact, yet even more informative than the original. It even shows you exactly where you are in the whole three-day cycle, so you know how you're doing and when to start wrapping things up. (Idea: It'd be neat if the Bombers' Notebook allowed you to overlay one person's schedule over the timer bar, to easily remind you when you can help them out.)

The whole town got renovated, it seems. The entrance to the Laundry Pool is now much more obvious, which is good. In the N64 version it was almost hidden; a little passageway in the corner about half the width of an alley. If
Kafei
hadn't come running out of it during the first few minutes of Day 1, a lot of players probably wouldn't have even found it, at least until they got a map from Tingle and wondered what that small area in the southeast was.

I love the new clock as well. So compact, yet even more informative than the original. It even shows you exactly where you are in the whole three-day cycle, so you know how you're doing and when to start wrapping things up. (Idea: It'd be neat if the Bombers' Notebook allowed you to overlay one person's schedule over the timer bar, to easily remind you when you can help them out.)
I never had a problem locating the laundry pool, but I did have a problem locating Southern Swamp my first playthrough. After getting the Ocarina back and becoming human again, I was stuck for like a week figuring out where to go since the path to Southern Swamp from Termina Field seems so weird. It was like a "cut" in the flat 'tree wall" textures. I had no idea it was the entrance to a new area. Instead, I kept trying to get
Epona
from Romani Ranch.

Majora's Mask was the first game I ever pre-ordered and bought on release day (I kept watching the Nintendo promo VHS tape to prepare), and on that very release day, I got grounded from my games for screaming at the TV when I got stuck trying to figure out what to do with the Moon's Tear with seconds left on the clock. I remember my sister flipping through the instruction manual to try and find some kind of hint that would save me while I frantically ran around the town, but all she kept saying was "Play the Song of Time! PLAY THE SONG OF TIME!" with me screaming "I DON'T HAVE THE DAMN OCARINA!"

Ha ha, good times. I had to wait a few days again before I was allowed to play the game again. :/ That was worse torture than having to wait for the game to actually come out!

Top Bottom