• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3DS announced!

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Earlier in this thread, people were posting screencaps of their phone wallpapers using the new art, but I don't recall anyone sharing the cropped art. I've gone ahead and made some myself for my Galaxy S5. Feel free to use them:

those are beatiful

Anyone remember Camp Hyrule? Nintendo used to hold it online for a week each summer. Basically a Flash-animated map of a Nintendo-themed camp, with different areas based on upcoming games. Each area was essentially a chatroom, but you could talk to people from NOA and participate in contests and such. And over the course of the week, the campgrounds changed. I remember Camp Hyrule 2000 had the moon from MM getting closer and closer, and it crashed on the last day. It was basically my first contact with the online gaming community. People were so hyped for MM.

The reason I bring all of this up, is because now I'm all too familiar with the online gaming community, and it'll be interesting to see how they react to MM nowadays, lol.

I totally remember Camp Hyrule, but I found it way after the year 2000

Ocarina of Time 3D streamlined how you equip items, for example; the Ocarina if always equipped plus you can assign 4 items to buttons.

I wonder how this will work with masks. You think the Deku, Goron and Zora Masks will always be assigned like how the Ocarina? Or will the Mask menu just have you touch to wear a mask without forcing you to assign it to a button?

Majora's Mask is one of my all-time favorite games, but it could definitely benefit from some streamlining. I'm excited to see how this will work. People always complained about equipping Iron Boots in OoT, but I found myself having to go to the pause menu far more in MM to equip masks and whatnot. Having only 3 item slots in MM was far more crippling than it was in OoT. Perhaps the Dpad could also be used in MM3D for quick-equip masks?

Also, I hope there will some tweaks to the time travel. Having to play the Song of Double Time 6 times to get to the last day can be extremely tedious. One was to streamline that would be to only require you to play the song once, and being able to choose what time of what day you'd like to travel to while still keeping it so you can only move forward in time.

Oh, and this is random, but something that always bugged me in MM was how the guard in North Clock Town just stands there as Sakon runs away with the old woman's bag of bombs that he stole, yet, he'll still block you from exiting the town. It's a nitpick, but maybe have Sakon knock him down to a moment to escape, or have other guards run in to try to stop him (though, only you can).

And one mooooooooooore thing, do you think with all the development time this remaster has gotten that we can get the Wizzrobe mini-boss battles completely replaced with a fun/challenging enemy? Not only do they look stupid, but I absolutely hate how tedious the battles with them are, and you need to fight them like 5 times throughout only 4 dungeons! At least cut the Wizzrobes down to 2 and come up with better minibosses like Dinofols or Eyegores.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Earlier in this thread, people were posting screencaps of their phone wallpapers using the new art, but I don't recall anyone sharing the cropped art. I've gone ahead and made some myself for my Galaxy S5. Feel free to use them:

good lord I love the first one..

a bit spoilerish tho, heh. Nintendo you maybe dun goofed?

Rich!

good lord I love the first one..

a bit spoilerish tho, heh. Nintendo you maybe dun goofed?

ehh, I don't think its spoilerish. There's nothing you can work out from the characters unless you've played the game already. Besides, it's basically an update of the original art:

Majoras_Mask_LoZ_Art.png

Rich!

crossposted from the other majoras mask thread:

Clock Town has no loading now? So no fade to black screens?

How the transitions are handled then? If there's no loading, as you imply, then Link can view and walk from area to area withouth any cuts. That would be inmensly cool.

Btw, where can i see this?

Also if this is indeed the case it would be amazing to have a high vantage point were you see the entire town and watch every NPC go through out their routines. XD

Nothing's been confirmed, but:

0uWTNdd.png

1. you can see right into east clock town, and it looks like you can run through it seamlessly. there's no transition area.
2. the route to the laundry pool has been put back enough to allow the area to fit in behind that wall. compared to the N64 version, its significantly changed:

Y2bRnel.png

why would they make this change if not to have the entire laundry pool area fit behind it?

41j6gQs.png

3. the area behind the clock tower goes back much, much further - again, this means the entirety of east and west clock town can fit behind the walls without any "cheating" like the n64 version used.

so yeah, the evidence is there, and it makes sense. why implement those changes otherwise? Also, the 3DS is more than capable of rendering the whole thing at once. Being able to traverse clock town without having to endure loading transitions in every section would be a significant improvement. In addition, various ledges, building sides and doorways have been adjusted - why would they do this if not for ensuring the entire town is seamless?

Anyone else agree on this?

Kinsei

Banned

0uWTNdd.png

1. you can see right into east clock town, and it looks like you can run through it seamlessly. there's no transition area.
2. the route to the laundry pool has been put back enough to allow the area to fit in behind that wall. compared to the N64 version, its significantly changed:

Y2bRnel.png

why would they make this change if not to have the entire laundry pool area fit behind it?

41j6gQs.png

3. the area behind the clock tower goes back much, much further - again, this means the entirety of east and west clock town can fit behind the walls without any "cheating" like the n64 version used.

so yeah, the evidence is there, and it makes sense. why implement those changes otherwise? Also, the 3DS is more than capable of rendering the whole thing at once. Being able to traverse clock town without having to endure loading transitions in every section would be a significant improvement. In addition, various ledges, building sides and doorways have been adjusted - why would they do this if not for ensuring the entire town is seamless?

It seems possible.

RPGamer92

Banned

0uWTNdd.png

Y2bRnel.png

41j6gQs.png

Why is there a dog on the wall in the re-done second screen? >_>

I think the chances are high that Clock Town is seamlessly connected now. It's a small change that would really make a huge difference, but I don't want to get my hopes up after OoT3D's Hyrule Market let me down. When I saw the pre-rendered graphics were gone, I thought for sure that meant the town would be seamless and that you'd have control over the camera, but nope. Huge let down.

But Grezzo is spending more time with MM3D, and the point that parts of Clock Town are being pushed back and rearranged make it seem like it's being done to allow the town to be connected without load screens. I really, really hope this is true!

TheMoon

Do you think there might be any New 3DS enhancements to this game? i.e. Better on New 3DS?

Few things are more obvious than this. Every first party 3DS game from next year onward can safely be expected to have N3DS enhancements.

I will be playing this in the new 3DS hopefully.. Right Nintendo?

Option A: Having a Zelda game launch alongside a new hardware revision
Option B: Not having a Zelda game launch alongside a new hardware revision
Option C: Jump straight off cliff.

B and C are secretly the same

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
ehh, I don't think its spoilerish. There's nothing you can work out from the characters unless you've played the game already. Besides, it's basically an update of the original art:

Yeah that's definitely true. Still I wasn't expecting to see the
tree and the four giants
on it

Rich!

Yeah that's definitely true. Still I wasn't expecting to see the
tree and the four giants
on it

Heh, even so its hugely hidden.

Nowhere near as bad as the twilight princess artwork that showed midnas human form prominently. At least Majoras Mask is fifteen years old!

georly

Nowhere near as bad as the twilight princess artwork that showed midnas human form prominently. At least Majoras Mask is fifteen years old!

What? Where? Midna's human form was a surprise to me when I beat the game. Maybe I just wasn't observant? Maybe I actively avoided promo art? I don't remember anything showing it before release?

wrowa

I think the chances are high that Clock Town is seamlessly connected now. It's a small change that would really make a huge difference, but I don't want to get my hopes up after OoT3D's Hyrule Market let me down. When I saw the pre-rendered graphics were gone, I thought for sure that meant the town would be seamless and that you'd have control over the camera, but nope. Huge let down.

But Grezzo is spending more time with MM3D, and the point that parts of Clock Town are being pushed back and rearranged make it seem like it's being done to allow the town to be connected without load screens. I really, really hope this is true!

It's worth to keep in mind that Nintendo wanted to have Ocarina of Time 3D out shortly after the 3DS's launch. Because of that I don't think it's necessarily a good idea to make assumptions based on OoT3D, since it was a game that needed to be pushed out quite quickly, while the developers apparently have had a lot more time to work on Majora's Mask.

TheMoon

Was that in the instruction book? I know that art, but I distinctly remember not seeing it before the game was out. I must have actively avoided it before/while playing the game.

That or I didn't pay close attention to it.

I'm seeing that for the first time now. Remember that this was ages ago. We now post all presskit pngs everywhere. Back then all I remember seeing was screenshots and box art.

TheMoon

It's worth to keep in mind that Nintendo wanted to have Ocarina of Time 3D out shortly after the 3DS's launch. Because of that I don't think it's necessarily a good idea to make assumptions based on OoT3D, since it was a game that needed to be pushed out quite quickly, while the developers apparently have had a lot more time to work on Majora's Mask.

Yea, both OoT3D and WWHD were "can you do this thing fast? Wow, yes? Then go!" Whereas this is more of a passion project, it seems.

Rich!

Was that in the instruction book? I know that art, but I distinctly remember not seeing it before the game was out. I must have actively avoided it before/while playing the game.

That or I didn't pay close attention to it.

I saw it in NGC magazine before launch.

Not to mention that the content of Ocarina of Time would have to have actually changed to accommodate a seamless Castle Town (the castle gates and back alley are different areas with different moods and softer music, and adjusting the music to add in a smoother transition wouldn't have felt like the original game), whereas it looks like they really are just eliminating transitions between doorways in Clock Town.

I saw it in NGC magazine before launch.

It's also in the manual.

CassSept

Yeah, thankfully not many made the connection right away. I always read instruction booklets back when they were still a thing (what a weird sentence to type out) and I just thought it's a nice artwork, didn't look too hard or over-analyze it. It took me few years to look back at it and notice that there is end-game spoilers on the first damn page of the instruction booklet.

Btw, the fact that OoT 3D is built on original OoT's code is kinda blowing my mind. I thought they actually built it from the ground, not ported OoT over and work from there.

Nice detective works on those screenshots. 3DS has significantly more RAM than even the RAM-expanded N64, so that's a major hurdle gone. The only thing I can think of that might prevent a fully seamless Clock Town would be the CPU-load of all the NPCs going through their routines--but I have no clue how substantial it is and it's been years since I've played MM.

Grief.exe

Few things are more obvious than this. Every first party 3DS game from next year onward can safely be expected to have N3DS enhancements.

60 FPS Majora's Mask. Believe.

I did play RE4 in 60 FPS this year and it was mind blowing.

That's not very detrimental though. You will only realize that is a spoiler if you've played through the entire game. I haven't played Twilight Princess, and from my perspective there are just some interesting depicted in the artwork.

georly

60 FPS Majora's Mask. Believe.

I did play RE4 in 60 FPS this year and it was mind blowing.

I can't even imagine how much my mind would be blown if MM3D was 60FPS. If it's 60fps N3DS, but 30FPS 3DS, that's 100% justification for new system purchase for me.

Neiteio

Hey richisawesome, in that screen of the laundry pool entrance, you keep mistakenly calling the entrance to West Clock Town "the entrance to East Clock Town." Just thought I'd point that out so you don't confuse people, lol.

I'm not making any assumptions about a seamlessly connected Clock Town, at least not yet. It's possible they might be expanding and rearranging each area just to make them "breathe" better visually. In other words, it could be an attempt to make the town more readable and intuitive to navigate.

StuBurns

Banned
Hey, bought a new copy of OoT3D in the hype, but I can't register the code for the club points because I already registered it when I bought it at launch. Star points are virtually valueless, but I thought I'd post the code here in the event anyone wanted to register it.

1XXEA8RNG514ICA7

Golnei

Clock town is still, in my opinion, the best video game town. Definitely the best zelda town.

Skyloft is more visually arresting, but I agree that Clock Town leaves a much stronger impression; due to the bond the player will invariably form with its doomed inhabitants and their well-realised, repeating schedules. And for its instantly memorable theme, of course. I know it was orchestrated in the Symphony of the Goddesses encore, but hearing it performed with a live ensemble ingame would add even more to the atmosphere - especially when the final day rolls around.

Great-God

Banned
Thanks, I got the second. Starting to get hyped as if it was a new game lol

Grief.exe

Starting to get hyped as if it was a new game lol

Whenever I play through these older games again I get worried that I won't enjoy them as much. Whenever I boot up these older classics, whether it be Planescape Torment, OOT3D, System Shock 2, RE4, or any other game, I end up having just as much fun in 2014 that I would when the games were newly released.

OOT3D in particular I was at a loss of words to describe the shear quality of the title.

Great-God

Banned
Whenever I play through these older games again I get worried that I won't enjoy them as much. Whenever I boot up these older classics, whether it be Planescape Torment, OOT3D, System Shock 2, RE4, or any other game, I end up having just as much fun in 2014 that I would when the games were newly released.
OoT3D in particular I was at a loss of words to describe the shear quality of the title.
Well I meant "as it hadn't been released", Majora is new to me.
I fully agree with you though :)

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
what interested me more about that piece is the Children and the Mask around the tree. the little details are awesome

I'm more interested in the owl wings stickin out from the logo. I bet there's some neat owl art that's bein sadly obscured by the logo. We need a clean version of this.

SirNinja

Majora's Mask was the first game I ever pre-ordered and bought on release day (I kept watching the Nintendo promo VHS tape to prepare)

I still have that tape! It's this one, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_bNGtYC4Lo

I watched that thing more times than I'd like to admit. Zora Link speeding through the water, Goron Link rolling after Goht at top speed...it was a revelation back then for 13-year old me. Better yet, the game itself still managed to exceed my crazy expectations.

I remember one of my friends actually took up the offer for the gold controller. (It was a lot better quality than I thought it would be; still kinda jealous.)

Neiteio

I'm more interested in the owl wings stickin out from the logo. I bet there's some neat owl art that's bein sadly obscured by the logo. We need a clean version of this.
Yep, the logo is obscuring Kaepora Gaebora (see his wings above the logo), Tingle (see his face inside the "D"), and you can also see the legs of someone near the "Z," by the Ikana Valley section.

Neiteio

I still have that tape! It's this one, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_bNGtYC4Lo

I watched that thing more times than I'd like to admit. Zora Link speeding through the water, Goron Link rolling after Goht at top speed...it was a revelation back then for 13-year old me. Better yet, the game itself still managed to exceed my crazy expectations.

I remember one of my friends actually took up the offer for the gold controller. (It was a lot better quality than I thought it would be; still kinda jealous.)
Ah, Nintendo promo tapes. I still have the one for the Jet Force Gemini and DK64. Don't think I saw this MM one, though. It's interesting they don't mention the fact you can time-travel to try the 72 hours again and again. They make it sound like you have one shot, lol.

I hope in this one they'll let you swap around using the Mirror Shield and Heroes Shield in this remaster.. Always felt that lacking that it was just a perma upgrade and couldn't swap back to become shieldless.

Top Bottom