• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Making A Murderer - Netflix 10-part documentary series - S1 now streaming on Netflix

Lev

I've lost slot sleep from this show. I just couldn't stop watching. I'm now on the last episode and it's 1 in the morning

This series ruined my sleep schedule.

Anyway, it was a great series, I'd say. The whole time I was too curious to find out how the story was going to unfold next. That's why I finished the whole series in like two days.

Honestly, I'm surprised that I never even heard about this case on the news. That's what shocked me the most. Also another thing, I wonder if the popularity of this show is going to give Manitowoc county a bad name. I'm sure that there a lot of people who would never want to live there after watching this show, lol.

KrisB

I can't get over how shady Colburn and Lenk are.

Even if Steven is completely guilty of the murder, those two and the sheriff shouldn't have been anywhere near that crime scene or the case. They all had just been called less than 3 weeks before the murder to supply a deposition for, the 36 million dollar lawsuit. Colburn called in the license plate 2 days before the car was officially found. Lenk and Colburn found the key in Steven's room (on the seventh sweep of the house) and Lenk was there the next March where they found the bullet fragment in Steven's garage

Come the fuck on

I still can't process how they were allowed to go anywhere near the case.
Just blows my mind.

Nyx

Avery used a fake name and fake #, giving those to the AutoTrader receptionist, to trick her into coming.

I'm quite sure he used the name of his niece or whatever it was that owned the car that was for sale.

Checking this out now, I think I'm going to have nightmares.
The dead body .........lol

I might buy The Jinx on blu ray.
The first few minutes of The Jinx would give you worse nightmares, multiple times over.
Parts of a body that had been cut into pieces are shown.

The Staircase is my favourite documentary, I have it on DVD and have watched it at least 6 times. It also has a 2-hour follow-up years later, and a British documentary was made about The Staircase documentary itself for more insight.

The thing about the public defender is
public defenders are often scumbags who look at defendants as eventual convicts and just want to be through with them. It's no surprise that he was pushing so hard.

One thing I never understand. If someone becomes innocent because their DNA doesn't match the crime scene. Why in the hell does it take so many years? Why not just DNA test it right away?

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
I'm quite sure he used the name of his niece or whatever it was that owned the car that was for sale.

Correct he used the name of the person that owned the car.

Him using #67 doesn't seem too alarming to me based on peoples perception of him, with caller ID it makes you wonder if people didn't answer his calls at the time.

That and are we completely sure the two calls using #67 were indeed him? We know the other call that was placed at the time she is supposed to be with him is made by him as the number isn't hidden. He just doesn't seem intelligent enough to hide his first two calls and then make one unhidden for an alibi.

I read Ken Krantz is getting Death Threats I say to that good. You reap what you sow. Ken you made your bed by putting innosent man in jail now now lay in it Asshole.

Or we could be better than this.

That line of thinking has gotten us where exactly? Oh right corrupt ass Justice system and a prosecutor who planted evidence on a innosent man. What if that was your loved one where she//he was framed by Ken for a murder they dident commit.

Ken is reaping what he sowed. His actions have consequences.

Arkeband

Banned
The Staircase is also on YouTube as one giant six hour chunk.

It's a head scratcher. I don't know if the guy is innocent or guilty but again, it's one of those not-enough-to-convict cases.

A theory I saw on Wikipedia is crazy but plausible,
that it was a fucking owl, due to pine needles and small bird feathers found in her hair, and the weird lacerations. It still could have plausibly been her just falling backwards multiple times, though.

yyzjohn

Banned
As the lawyer said near the end of the documentary, I really hope that Steven and Brendan are guilty because the alternative scares the shit out of me. The fact that 2 guys could go to prison for something they didn't do, and have the system so skewed against them, it just boggles the mind. If they were really guilty and the cops "helped" along the convictions I am ok with that since the right guys are paying for their crimes. It's a pretty sick feeling though. Steven has been in prison for 26 of his 53 years, if he's proven innocent again, he's basically lost his entire life to the system. I don't know what else to say about this case.

My girlfriend and I started watching this Friday, finished last night. I don't think a show has ever made me feel this way. Let's say Steven is actually guilty and did it, how the fuck can Brendan be held without any sort of real evidence?! No fucking DNA, physical or scientific evidence, just words he was forced to say because he doesn't know any better. What a terrible outcome for him. :(

Fucking hell.
I marathoned this in two nights after I got back. Such a well done documentary. Harrowing and cruel.

That intro will stick with me for a long, long time.

Boke1879

Ok. Middle of episode 5. I was starting to worry about Brendan's brother and his testimony but even that kinda showed to be a sham and not even coming from him.

Then even the press is recognizing what kinda of game Kratz is playing.

And about Kratz. He really just seems like a pompous asshole. I see no compassion or professionalism. I see a guy that so sure of himself and sees this case as his big moment or something.

Aiii

So not worth it
Ok. Middle of episode 5. I was starting to worry about Brendan's brother and his testimony but even that kinda showed to be a sham and not even coming from him.

Then even the press is recognizing what kinda of game Kratz is playing.

And about Kratz. He really just seems like a pompous asshole. I see no compassion or professionalism. I see a guy that so sure of himself and sees this case as his big moment or something.

That's pretty obvious. Guy just wanted to be famous.

Guess he got his wish, after all.

I always hear about Anonmymous getting involved in things. When exactly do they plan on releasing this info? What's the holdup?
They said they will release today shortly. They claim to have telephone records between Lenk and Colburn before Halbach disappeared. I'm not sure how that helps though. Cops talking to each other? Big deal. Unless they release contents of those calls it's useless.

Boke1879

Who is that one female reporter/journalist that questioning everything the prosecution is saying?

She's probably the only one really going to task. Hope she gets recognized out of all this.

They said they will release today shortly. They claim to have telephone records between Lenk and Colburn before Halbach disappeared. I'm not sure how that helps though. Cops talking to each other? Big deal. Unless they release contents of those calls it's useless.

Still, that may not bring us any closer to the actually killer. It will shine another light on the ever-growing evidence of corruption, which I believe is probably where the focus should be anyway. Even if Avery and Brenden get out, it doesn't fully address and put to task the widespread issue of corruption in the justice system.

Who is that one female reporter/journalist that questioning everything the prosecution is saying?

She's probably the only one really going to task. Hope she gets recognized out of all this.
She was just doing her job. I don't think that necessarily warrants any special recognition outside of her coverage.

The Staircase is also on YouTube as one giant six hour chunk.

It's a head scratcher. I don't know if the guy is innocent or guilty but again, it's one of those not-enough-to-convict cases.

A theory I saw on Wikipedia is crazy but plausible,
that it was a fucking owl, due to pine needles and small bird feathers found in her hair, and the weird lacerations. It still could have plausibly been her just falling backwards multiple times, though.
Have you seen The Staircase 2: The Last Chance?

That line of thinking has gotten us where exactly? Oh right corrupt ass Justice system and a prosecutor who planted evidence on a innosent man. What if that was your loved one where she//he was framed by Ken for a murder they dident commit.

Ken is reaping what he sowed. His actions have consequences.
There are better ways.

Boke1879

Still, that may not bring us any closer to the actually killer. It will shine another light on the ever-growing evidence of corruption, which I believe is probably where the focus should be anyway. Even if Avery and Brenden get out, it doesn't fully address and put to task the widespread issue of corruption in the justice system.

She was just doing her job. I don't think that necessarily warrants any special recognition outside of her coverage.

I know she was doing her job but far too many reporters just take what's given to them instead of really poking and prodding.

yyzjohn

Banned

I don't understand why they would issue a deadline if they had actual evidence to present. If guilty, the cops have gotten away with it for years now, why would Anonymous give them a stupid "48 hour" deadline to release the phone records themselves? Sounds like a load of BS to me. Just release whatever "evidence" they supposedly have if it's so incriminating. Who are they trying to help anyway?

Well if Colburn and Lenk were involved with Teresa before she was claimed disappeared, we might get closer to the truth. It's a small win in a rigged game. Again it depends on what the messages were or if in fact, anon really has that information in the first place.

empyrean

Surely this "anonymous" information will have been gotten through illegitimate means and therefore not admissible in court so it won't actually help anyone other than highlight what others already suspect but cant prove?

yyzjohn

Banned
Surely this "anonymous" information will have been gotten through illegitimate means and therefore not admissible in court so it won't actually help anyone other than highlight what others already suspect but cant prove?

Everything I've ever seen from anonymous leads me to believe they're a bunch of geek hackers with delusions of grandeur. Other than taking down websites through denial of service attacks what actual good have they ever been able to do for anyone? They always make grand claims of releasing information on one thing or another and every time nothing ever comes of it.

cwmartin

https://twitter.com/0Hour1 (#GhostSec) has claimed to have released the full transcript of Brenden Dassey's confession. Which one is not confirmed. Full Disclosure, I have not clicked the link or downloaded the file myself.

EDIT: Conflicting reports on if this was already public information or not. IDK. Just letting ya'll know what the drama is with the twitter/anon.

Top Bottom