• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Making A Murderer - Netflix 10-part documentary series - S1 now streaming on Netflix

Well said. This is what truly frightens me
I always, always hated the jury system. Ever since I learned about it. To have your fate determined by schlubs being entertained or bored is such a big misfire. I understand the reasoning behind it: law of the land in the eyes of impartial people. Well, to me its awfully similar to a tribal justice system where these "impartial people" dole out justice, like in the backwaters of Pakistan or India. Except its more regulated. Do away with the fucking juries. Let the judge decide if there is probable cause or reasonable doubt based on evidence.

Edit: or three judges

Not that garage. There was shit everywhere. We're not talking about just the floor-there was literal junk everywhere. Splatter would have been on everything.

The only counter argument I'd make, and this is more fueled by my own ignorance, but aren't 22 caliber bullets extremely small and low powered. Don't they not usually even pass through someone's skull because of the lower velocity and if it did would it really produce a massive splatter? Again I'm really ignorant about all this but do know that .22 is basically the lowest caliber bullet

y2dvd

Apparently some of the jurors feared for their safety if voting not guilty. And I forgot where I read it but you had 2 other jurors that were relatives to the Manitowoc force I believe. I'll find the sources later but yeah. On top of the juror switch on one of the members. So suspect.

Making a Murderer drinking game: Every time you say "what the hell!?" or "what the fuck!?" you take a drink.

Good luck staying conscious by episode 4.

Solo

Making a Murderer drinking game: Every time you say "what the hell!?" or "what the fuck!?" you take a drink.

Good luck staying conscious by episode 4.

Swap in "yeah" in the conversations between Steven/Brendan/Deloris and you'll have alcohol poisoning.

I always, always hated the jury system. Ever since I learned about it. To have your fate determined by schlubs being entertained or bored is such a big misfire. I understand the reasoning behind it: law of the land in the eyes of impartial people. Well, to me its awfully similar to a tribal justice system where these "impartial people" dole out justice, like in the backwaters of Pakistan or India. Except its more regulated. Do away with the fucking juries. Let the judge decide if there is probable cause or reasonable doubt based on evidence.

Edit: or three judges

But what if the judges are elected???

RedShift

I keep thinking this show won't make me any angrier but then it does.

I'm only halfway through episode four, the kids lawyer and his detective have shown up. Jesus these guys are pond scum.

I don't think I appreciated what an IQ of 70 meant until I saw how easily Brenden is being manipulated into all this.

Rizific

Uh, I haven't heard of any plans to stick with this particular case. I believe this is a one and done documentary and not a series.

I think season 1 was supposed to be a standalone doc series.

this is what im confused about. if it was a "one and done" type thing, why call it a season? unless season 2 focuses on another case with the same theme as the avery case? either way, im in for more if/when it gets here.

Ayt

Banned
anyone? and im assuming s2 will still focus on avery?

I'm pretty sure it is just a Netflix thing. Any series that has more than one episode lists the season and episode number even if there is only one season. For example, Firefly.

RedShift

Okay I just got to the bit where (ep4)
they find Stephen's blood sample which has been opened and had a needle poked through.

What. The. Fuck.

aerts1js

I'm only halfway through episode four, the kids lawyer and his detective have shown up. Jesus these guys are pond scum.

I don't think I appreciated what an IQ of 70 meant until I saw how easily Brenden is being manipulated into all this.

I'm glad you do; but there's actually a poster in here that believes Brendan's statements during those interrogations to be THE key source of evidence.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone

Saddest part of all of this to me. I mean, he's so slow he thought that if he confessed it would just get it over and let him go watch Wrestlemania. Someone like that should not be able to be interrogated without a guardian or counsel present. How anything he said is admissible is beyond me.

Saddest part of all of this to me. I mean, he's so slow he thought that if he confessed it would just get it over and let him go watch Wrestlemania. Someone like that should not be able to be interrogated without a guardian or counsel present. How anything he said is admissible is beyond me.

Them making a huge deal about his weight loss saying it was stress related and claiming it was 40lbs(!?) and then him saying he lost 5-10lbs because people call him fat and his girlfriend left him made me feel so bad for the guy. Also his mom saying he misses his Nintendo after she visited him in prison. :(

Them making a huge deal about his weight loss saying it was stress related and claiming it was 40lbs(!?) and then him saying he lost 5-10lbs because people call him fat and his girlfriend left him made me feel so bad for the guy. Also his mom saying he misses his Nintendo after she visited him in prison. :(

When he mentioned being called fat and in another part mentioned wanting to leave the interrogation early enough so he could turn in a project for a class... man. My wife and I both felt so sick for that kid. He had no idea what was going on the entire time. You could tell he was getting strung along.

mackattk

I'm pretty sure it is just a Netflix thing. Any series that has more than one episode lists the season and episode number even if there is only one season. For example, Firefly.

If this thing took 10 years to make. I guess we could get season 2 hopefully by 2025.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
I wonder if the people who signed the petition know that Obama doesn't have the power to pardon a person found guilty on a state level.

The Beard

If this is season 1, when will season 2 come out?

It's not a Netflix series. It's just a long ass documentary. The filmmakers started filming this documentary before Netflix streaming even existed. The filmmakers tried selling it to other distributors before Netflix bought it.

It's not a Netflix series. It's just a long ass documentary. The filmmakers started filming this documentary before Netflix streaming even existed. The filmmakers tried selling it to other distributors before Netflix bought it.

Yeah, and it's almost certainly "season one" just as a result of how Netflix categorizes anything with multiple episodes. Even long-canceled shows are still listed with "season one" stuff even if they were only ever a single season.

I am hooked! I already watched it. What is the next thing to watch? I already plan to start watching The Jinx tonight without knowing anything about it. Any other great miniseries/ tv shows or even movies about "true crime solving" It doesnt have to be about wrongful imprionment.

I am hooked! I already watched it. What is the next thing to watch? I already plan to start watching The Jinx tonight without knowing anything about it. Any other great miniseries/ tv shows or even movies about "true crime solving" It doesnt have to be about wrongful imprionment.

I wish I could remember the name of it, but maybe 5-6 years ago, I watched this really long (like, 10+ hours) video series put together about this guy who had supposedly killed his wife. I can't remember what the crux of the series was, whether he was found innocent and really he was guilty and here's why, or found guilty, but actually was innocent and here's why. (edit: nevermind, you can watch it here: http://documentarystorm.com/the-staircase/)

But it was fascinating and weird in a totally different way from the Steven Avery case.

ZQQLANDER

And if they are responsible while he rots in jail?

Ok.....

I didn't say it wasn't worth looking into. Of course I'd be fucking livid if one of my relatives killed someone. Maybe they did have something to do with it, maybe they didn't. I don't know, seems to he is putting his family, particularly his mother, through more pain based on an educated guess.

One thing I haven't heard addressed... It seems like it's almost universally agreed that the key was planted by the police. If that's the case where did they get the key? If her purse was found in one of the burn barrels where did they get that key?

All films:

True crime solving:
The Thin Blue Line
Paradise Lost 1-3 than after West of Memphis

True crime stories:
Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father
The Central Park Five
The Act of Killing
Into the Abyss
Whitey: United States of America v. James J. Bulger
Citizenfour
We Steal Secrets

UFO

Banned
One thing I haven't heard addressed... It seems like it's almost universally agreed that the key was planted by the police. If that's the case where did they get the key? If her purse was found in one of the burn barrels where did they get that key?

Could have been left in the car, and I heard one theory that it was supplied by the brother or ex-boyfriend.

What I found weird was that it was a standalone key, or other keys on it. No house key, or mailbox key, nothing else.

Friggz

Could have been left in the car, and I heard one theory that it was supplied by the brother or ex-boyfriend.

What I found weird was that it was a standalone key, or other keys on it. No house key, or mailbox key, nothing else.

this is the point my wife brought up. It seemed really odd to only have one key. WHere was the other keys?

All films:

True crime solving:
The Thin Blue Line

True crime stories:
The Central Park Five
The Act of Killing
Into the Abyss
Citizenfour
We Steal Secrets

Thanks I will look into these. Watching The Jinx tonight.

sn00zer

All films:

True crime solving:
The Thin Blue Line

True crime stories:
The Central Park Five
The Act of Killing
Into the Abyss
Citizenfour
We Steal Secrets
I only recommend this to people I want to play a mean joke to

All films:

True crime solving:
The Thin Blue Line

True crime stories:
The Central Park Five
The Act of Killing
Into the Abyss
Citizenfour
We Steal Secrets

And if I can sort of add to this, although it's not watchable, the podcast Sword and Scale

Erigu

I believe it was actually the valet key? She probably didn't have it on her...

EthanC

Banned
So Steven broke into her house and stole the valet key too? They should add burglary to his charges.
-EthanC

Cops did it. Cops did everything. They bugged Stephens *67 calls and found out she was coming out that day. They sat in the bushes and waited for her to leave his house, then they murdered her, threw her on Stephen's tire fire while he was looking the other way, and then parked her car in his yard, planted blood, whispered into Brendan's ear while he was playing his PS2 the exact details of what she was wearing and how she died, and then got the hell outa there. The perfect crime!

RedShift

Cops did it. Cops did everything. They bugged Stephens *67 calls and found out she was coming out that day. They sat in the bushes and waited for her to leave his house, then they murdered her, threw her on Stephen's tire fire while he was looking the other way, and then parked her car in his yard, planted blood, whispered into Brendan's ear while he was playing his PS2 the exact details of what she was wearing and how she died, and then got the hell outa there. The perfect crime!

Lol, they didn't whisper to Brenden how she died, they yelled it at him.

UFO

Banned

Then they threw her in the back of the SUV in order to drive her from Stevens garage to Steven's fire pit right behind the garage! Then they modified the physics of the universe in order to get a fire made of tires and a desk to burn hot enough to calcify bones! Then they snuck into his bedroom and cleaned up all her and Brendan's DNA, and then they snuck into his garage and cleaned up all her blood! Then they whispered into Bobby Dassey and Scott Tadych ear to give false statements. Then they told Lenk to lie about when he arrived at the found car!

Nafai1123

Banned

How about responding to the numerous callouts in this thread instead of posting some snarky BS.

Zutroy

Binged this, was so compelling/sad/infuriating to watch!

Is it possible that Steven did it? Yes, but I'm extremely doubtful of it.

Did the police plant/tamper with the evidence? Yes, I'm 100% certain of that.

One of the things I found to be funny was that according to the prosecution this guy was apparently smart enough to completely clean all traces of her blood from everywhere in his property yet completely retarded enough to hide her car in his own property behind a couple of branches.

Top Bottom