• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Making A Murderer - Netflix 10-part documentary series - S1 now streaming on Netflix

Jerm411

After watching the Dateline show...Ken Kratz remains on my Mt. Rushmore of people I'd love to just punch in the face. What an annoying cunt.

Avery's new lawyer is pretty confident about what they're doing...be interesting to see what they've dug up, esp. with new forensic testing methods they've come up that she's mentioned.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
We don't know if a meticulous clean up was even necessary. He could've hit her over the head with something, he could've strangled her and thrown her in the back of her RAV4 and stabbed her. The point is, we don't know exactly how/where he killed her. How/where doesn't really matter though. All that matters is what evidence is available. Unless all that evidence is proven to have been planted, including his blood in her RAV4, then Avery is fucked.

I don't think she ever set foot in Avery's trailer. I don't think he forgot to crush the RAV4, I think he's dumb enough to think he could hide it.
The bullet says that he had to have shot her in the garage. We know that she was shot in the head. No other bullet was found in the fire as far as I am aware, so the bullet found had to have passed through her head creating an exit wound and a decent amount of blood.

The bullet says that he had to have shot her in the garage. We know that she was shot in the head. No other bullet was found in the fire as far as I am aware, so the bullet found had to have passed through her head creating an exit wound and a decent amount of blood.

Not to mention they tore up the concrete looking for extra blood and only found deer blood.

Kaiterra

Banned
Oh god, WAOW TV 9 here in Central Wisconsin looks like they're going to be running a feature about how biased the documentary is, called "Making a Mockery." I fully expect it to be nothing more than a surface level examination of Kratz's E-mail crap that has already been addressed. Taking them entirely at face value. For the nine millionth time. Sigh.

Oh god, WAOW TV 9 here in Central Wisconsin looks like they're going to be running a feature about how biased the documentary is, called "Making a Mockery." I fully expect it to be nothing more than a surface level examination of Kratz's E-mail crap that has already been addressed. Taking them entirely at face value. For the nine millionth time. Sigh.
10/10 for the title at least.

hawk2025

Part of the media is repeating the exact same mistake from 30 and 10 years ago.

It's fucking absurd.

I'll wait to actually see this one, though, but the title doesn't inspire confidence.

Chopper

You got a link to this? I know nothing about it.

Jerm411

Didn't the prosecution want nothing to do with Making A Murderer and completely abstained from being involved in it? I know on the Dateline special, they made special mention that Kratz did not participate in MAM.

Kinda hard to be anything but one sided if one side doesn't want to participate lol...

Haines

Banned
I remember steven saying she stayed inside the car, and his nephew or someone saying he watched her walk to the trailer from looking through a window

Am i making that up, or was he caught lying right there

I remember steven saying she stayed inside the car, and his nephew or someone saying he watched her walk to the trailer from looking through a window

Am i making that up, or was he caught lying right there

If you're talking about Bobby Dassey's statement, I wouldn't put any stock in it. Bobby's brother Blaine contradicted his statements as well as the fact that he was sketchy as fuck on the stand and his only alibi is Scott Tadych who changed his statement about 5 times and couldn't even remember if he went to work or visited his mother in hospital that day. Neither of them are trustworthy and not indicative of Steven lying.

If you're talking about Bobby Dassey's statement, I wouldn't put any stock in it. Bobby's brother Blaine contradicted his statements as well as the fact that he was sketchy as fuck on the stand and his only alibi is Scott Tadych who changed his statement about 5 times and couldn't even remember if he went to work or visited his mother in hospital that day. Neither of them are trustworthy and not indicative of Steven lying.

They were the two suspects in the whole thing that were so shady. Plus how excited Scott was to see Steven get the blame. When he smiles as they read guilty..Dude gave me a bad feeling.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
They were the two suspects in the whole thing that were so shady. Plus how excited Scott was to see Steven get the blame. When he smiles as they read guilty..Dude gave me a bad feeling.

I would also say the ex boyfriend, personally 1. Being an ex boyfriend is already a red flag, 2. He completely out of the blue guessed her voicemail password (it involved her sisters bdays) seriously no fucking way. 3. If he had her voicemail password couldn't they somewhat conclude that he deleted the missing voice mails? 4. He specifically gave two volunteers a camera and a phone when they went to averys car lot, and they found the car in under 15 minutes. (They were one of the few if not ONLY group given a camera and cell phone by the ex boyfriend)

MMaRsu

Not just him also Bobby Dassey has something to do with this for sure. Pretty weird for him to rat his younger brother and have an alibi the only other creep in this case can attest to being true according to him.

Not just him and scott, but also teresa's brother and her ex seemed like they knew a lot more than they let on.

My question is how is Colburn still walking with a job? Didnt he lie under oath? Or was that Lenk

I'm sure their take on things will have no bias at all...

TheStruggler

Not just him also Bobby Dassey has something to do with this for sure. Pretty weird for him to rat his younger brother and have an alibi the only other creep in this case can attest to being true according to him.

Not just him and scott, but also teresa's brother and her ex seemed like they knew a lot more than they let on.

My question is how is Colburn still walking with a job? Didnt he lie under oath? Or was that Lenk

Colburn, he lied and said the dispatch lady said the make and model of the vehicle, when they played the tape he said it without her even acknowledging it meaning he found it and was probably looking at it. Then when they question and ask him about it he says "thats how I remember it" or something of that nature.

MMaRsu

Colburn, he lied and said the dispatch lady said the make and model of the vehicle, when they played the tape he said it without her even acknowledging it meaning he found it and was probably looking at it. Then when they question and ask him about it he says "thats how I remember it" or something of that nature.

Yeah wasnt there also someone lying about when they arrived? Thought it might have been lenk

TheStruggler

Yeah wasnt there also someone lying about when they arrived? Thought it might have been lenk

Lenk didn't sign in (though he should have) when they started investigating, he lied about his time of entrance I believe. He did sign out!, but I am sure the lie was about when he arrived on scene to investigate.

gogosox82

We don't know if a meticulous clean up was even necessary. He could've hit her over the head with something, he could've strangled her and thrown her in the back of her RAV4 and stabbed her. The point is, we don't know exactly how/where he killed her. How/where doesn't really matter though. All that matters is what evidence is available. Unless all that evidence is proven to have been planted, including his blood in her RAV4, then Avery is fucked.

I don't think she ever set foot in Avery's trailer. I don't think he forgot to crush the RAV4, I think he's dumb enough to think he could hide it.

You are creating an imaginary scenario to justify your supposition that Avery killed her. There no evidence that says he's innocent but there is also no evidence that says he is guilty either.

TheStruggler

You are creating an imaginary scenario to justify your supposition that Avery killed her. There no evidence that says he's innocent but there is also no evidence that says he is guilty either.

I would say them not finding blood in his bedroom (from a sliced neck), or blood in the garage (apparently where he also shot her 10-12 times) could be sufficient evidence to prove he did not do it. Avery is not the smartest person around, but I doubt he would be capable to clean up his garage and or bedroom of blood spatter. Even in the cracks on the floor in the garage or all the clutter he had, I doubt he would do all that clean up and even think about it.

Bobby couldn't have killed or known anything about Teresa because the school bus dropped him at 3:30pm. Teresa most likely left by then.

His stepdad, Scott Tadych however could have been there. IIRC he went to the hospital in the morning...it's just a weird as fuck family. Why would they throw Avery under the bus by lying? Tadych might have something to do with it and Bobby is protecting him. Or it could be that they were both trying to protect Brendan by laying blame at Avery's feet. I'm siding with the second scenario.

I really side with the Defense's truthfact that most of the time the killer in such cases is someone you know. The ex was one shifty fucker. Mike and him looked like peas in a pod and covering each others' asses. He knew where to direct Pam Strum. Pam Strum is the only one that was given a camera out of hundreds of searchparty members.

Salamando

I would say them not finding blood in his bedroom (from a sliced neck), or blood in the garage (apparently where he also shot her 10-12 times) could be sufficient evidence to prove he did not do it. Avery is not the smartest person around, but I doubt he would be capable to clean up his garage and or bedroom of blood spatter. Even in the cracks on the floor in the garage or all the clutter he had, I doubt he would do all that clean up and even think about it.
Definitely wouldn't go that far. It's proof that the prosecution doesn't necessarily know where Theresa was killed...or maybe that he used a tarp or something (you exsanguinate deer, you'll learn a thing or two about blood). It's a hole in the state's story, for sure.

The issue with that theory is literally anyone could have been the real killer under it, except Steven (although you can come up with plenty of theories that would still place Steven as the killer)

Seems plausible, but good luck to the defense in finding evidence to back it up. Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

My question: what motive do Bobby and Scott have for framing Steven? He's just the easiest scapegoat? Or do they have reason to want him out of the picture?

Jealousy over a potential multi-million dollar payday? Didn't like how much of his parents' business Steven stood to inherit?

Arkeband

Banned
Jealousy over a potential multi-million dollar payday? Didn't like how much of his parents' business Steven stood to inherit?

That's a pretty good point. You have essentially trailer park boys living a very simple life, one goes to prison to come back into their lives 18 years later, with a shoe in to becoming a multimillionaire. I can see where some real dark thoughts would begin to stir.

LevelNth

Banned
The absolute most baffling fact of Avery's case and subsequent conviction is the excused juror's statement that upon jury deliberations the initial roundtable had 7 not and 2 undecided to only 3 guilty.

Now it's obviously definitely within the realm of possibility that those 3 were more vocal than the others, but that is a shocking turnaround that is simply almost too convenient to be believed.

Would be shocked to hear that the 3 guilty jurors were the ones directly connected to MCSD. /s

Bobby couldn't have killed or known anything about Teresa because the school bus dropped him at 3:30pm. Teresa most likely left by then.

His stepdad, Scott Tadych however could have been there. IIRC he went to the hospital in the morning...it's just a weird as fuck family. Why would they throw Avery under the bus by lying? Tadych might have something to do with it and Bobby is protecting him. Or it could be that they were both trying to protect Brendan by laying blame at Avery's feet. I'm siding with the second scenario.

I really side with the Defense's truthfact that most of the time the killer in such cases is someone you know. The ex was one shifty fucker. Mike and him looked like peas in a pod and covering each others' asses. He knew where to direct Pam Strum. Pam Strum is the only one that was given a camera out of hundreds of searchparty members.

Bobby didn't go to school. He had a job that he worked nights. Blaine and Brendan were dropped off from school around 3:30/3:45, and Blaine testified during Steven's trial that Bobby was asleep when he got home.

It wouldn't surprise me if Bobby was covering for Scott. Would explain a lot.

Would be shocked to hear that the 3 guilty jurors were the ones directly connected to MCSD. /s

Bobby didn't go to school. He had a job that he worked nights. Blaine and Brendan were dropped off from school around 3:30/3:45, and Blaine testified during Steven's trial that Bobby was asleep when he got home.

Oh really? I dont think we heard any of Blaine's testimony did we, or am I forgetting.

If that's the case then Bobby really creates Tadych's alibi for him.

Scott Tadych was interviewed three times in a 6 month span and with each interview it seemed like he remembered more and more details. That seems odd and with each interview it seemed like he was trying to point toward Brendan Dassey and by the end he pretty much tried to pin the murder on Steven Avery. Also one thing that stuck out to me is that during the initial round of interviews Bobby was the only person who remembered what Teresa was wearing Blaine, Brendan, nor Steven remembered what she was wearing.

Jerm411

The absolute most baffling fact of Avery's case and subsequent conviction is the excused juror's statement that upon jury deliberations the initial roundtable had 7 not and 2 undecided to only 3 guilty.

Now it's obviously definitely within the realm of possibility that those 3 were more vocal than the others, but that is a shocking turnaround that is simply almost too convenient to be believed.

I think they were bullied into switching their verdicts...

So why is this season 1 anyways. Is the next season a different story?

thatsthejoke.jpg

But in all seriousness, there could be a season 2, considering what's going on with the case. I guess Netflix might also see interest in this kind of real crime documentary series to order some sort spin-off.

Shenmue

Banned
thatsthejoke.jpg

But in all seriousness, there could be a season 2, considering what's going on with the case. I guess Netflix might also see interest in this kind of real crime documentary series to order some sort spin-off.

I'd like a season 2 to go into Kratz's disgusting behavior toward abuse victims. The bits near the end of the series where he's on the hot seat are the best.

New tweet:

Kathleen Zellner said:
One thing perps & planters have in common is leaving their signatures at the crime scene. Science always transcribes.

Everyone involved in this case can't be getting much sleep lately. I really hope she actually has something significant. Her tweets suggest she does and I can't wait for it come out.

Nothus

New tweet:

Everyone involved in this case can't be getting much sleep lately. I really hope she actually has something significant. Her tweets suggest she does and I can't wait for it come out.

Is it just me that finds that a little bit...unprofessional of a lawyer to be tweeting stuff like that?
I know she's probably just trying to keep the case at the forefront of the media attention, but still.

gamz

Is it just me that finds that a little bit...unprofessional of a lawyer to be tweeting stuff like that?
I know she's probably just trying to keep the case at the forefront of the media attention, but still.

No. Using social media is smart because you never know where you'll get info from and maybe someone will Crack and spill the beans.

Jerm411

Seeing the tactics Kratz and co. used originally....all bets are off IMO.

Audioboxer

As long as it doesn't prevent her defending her client then it's actually pretty effective at making everyone involved sweat it.

gogosox82

All it proves is that they don't know where she was killed, which is a significant hole for the prosecution for sure, but it doesn't fully exonerate Avery.

It seems plausible.

All it proves is that they don't know where she was killed, which is a significant hole for the prosecution for sure, but it doesn't fully exonerate Avery.
Only, this isn't Ace Attorney and if the story of the prosecution doesn't make any sense, the defense doesn't have to come up with 'the real culprit' in order to exonerate the defendant.

Innocent until proven guilty, remember? I know, it's cliche at this point, but it's got to be repeated because we don't get to assume he did it without reasonable evidence, and all the evidence is either incredibly shady or has a pretty good explanation for existing. If the prosecution can't even get the story about HOW and WHERE he supposedly killed her, how can you say that he should still be found guilty?

spekkeh

Banned

Yeah this is my theory as well (though I've only watched episodes 1-5 so far, it so painful to watch I'm going super slow lol), either her ex Ryan or her brother Mike killed her. They probably have a relative in the police force who they contacted confessing it. This person knew about the predicament Colburn et al were in and said 'okay I can make this go away'. They then frame Avery for it so he can no longer sue the police department. Probably already burned her at that point, can't find the car keys, use the spare keys to drive her 4wd to Avery's lot, move the remains over, delete the incriminating evidence from her voicemail, etc. And then start the search squarely aimed at implicating Avery.

Of course proof for this is even more lacking than for the actual indictment of Avery. But there's simply too much wrong with the evidence and conduct to go for anything else than a mistrial.

Top Bottom