• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Making gigantic super-thick pancakes with a rice cooker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said I was going to try making chocolate pancake.

ctbYInp.jpg

HwDBhub.jpg

Omg that looks yum!

homer-drool.gif

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This thread is revolutionizing rice cookers...

Someday in the future, when rice cookers become the ultimate utility kitchen appliance, we'll look back on this thread and say "That's where it all began".

Brakke

Banned
Just plopped mine in. Have exactly no clue what to expect. Forty five minutes is a long time though, should've started earlier. D:

Making a pancake today with lemon honey and green tea. Will post results!
Edit: I also mixed LE DownEast Lemonade cider.....what am I thinking?

Raide

Someone needs to do this...

Make Pancake Mix
Split into 2 parts.
Part cook 1 pancake.
Open cooker and place on pre-cooked bacon, sausage + scrambled egg
Pour 2nd mix and cook.

Bacon Pancake Sandwich.

Brakke

Banned
Welp! Had to babysit the cooker, definitely need to experiment with some settings but I'm declaring success. Will do again for sure. So convenient!

So what's the consensus with how to properly do this?

I have a single-button rice cooker with an aluminum bowl that isn't non-stick. How should I go about this? Will it cook it on the warm seeing if I don't put too much batter in?

Brakke

Banned
Cook, not warm. Keep the lid closed unless it pops to warm. Butter that bowl up, do a small batch first to get a feel for timing. Test doneness with a toothpick, the top won't look done.

So what's the consensus with how to properly do this?

I have a single-button rice cooker with an aluminum bowl that isn't non-stick. How should I go about this? Will it cook it on the warm seeing if I don't put too much batter in?

It will probably go to warm before it's done, the bottom will be cooked but top may be raw. Keep it on warm and babysit every 5 minutes or so until it's cooked.

Just made another one:
Matcha Green tea, lemon honey, with a pinch of ginger/clove/nutmeg

Shadownet

Banned
Cook, not warm. Keep the lid closed unless it pops to warm. Butter that bowl up, do a small batch first to get a feel for timing. Test doneness with a toothpick, the top won't look done.

I ddint butter my bowl but mine came out golden/brown. but was not crispy. I would like to see what happen when you butter it though.

BTW, for those who asked for my recipe for the chocolate pancake. Here it is.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*I used Aunt Jemima Orignal Pancake Batter.*

2 cups of the batter
2 eggs
1 and 1/2 cup of milk (I used 2% milk)
2 tablespoons of oil (i used olive oil)

*Add it all together, dont mix yet*

then for the chocolate part I used:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hershey's Natural Unsweetened Cocoa Powder (it comes in a little aluminum container.) On the back of that container should be instruction how to make 1 ounce of semi-sweet chocolate.

I think it was:
hershey-baking-cocoa_lg.png

http://thejoyfultable.blogspot.com/2011/11/best-chocolate-cake-best-butter-cream.html (look at the 2nd picture in this blog to see the instruction on the back.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But I thought 1 ounce of chocolate would be too much for the batch I was making so I decided to only use

2 tablespoon of cocoa powder and 1 tablespoon of oil, and 2 1/2 teaspoons of sugar.

*Mix that in with your previous ingredient until all the big lumps are gone, don't overmix it.*

*At the end of mixing, you should find the color of the batter to be like chocolate milk, but make sure the consistency is still batter-like. If it look to be too runny, just add a bit more of the Aunt Jemima's batter and mix it until it become a bit more solidify. If it's too solid then add a bit more milk until you find the right consistency.*

when you're done. pop it into the rice cooker. Now depends on your rice cooker, might take between 1 or 2 hours. mine took almost 1 hour and a half. just make sure to open it up and check every 25 mins with a toothpick until it seem to be baked. :)

Disclaimers: I'm not responsible if your pancake turns out like crap. This was pretty much trial and error for me. Though luckily mine turn out pretty good for the first time. So I hope yours turn out delicious as well.

plenilune

I tried this last night and it was a horrible mistake. Half-baked even after 40 minutes and tasted like shit. Might have had something to do with using too much milk. Fortunately I was skeptic and saved half for pan-cooking. Done in 1/10 the time and tasted 10x better.

finally gave it a go. didn't work out. here's what happened:

-used a box of Bisquick original pancake mix
-followed instructions for standard amount (14 pancakes)
-used 2 cups of the mixture, 1 cup of milk, and 2 eggs
-put it into my new (basic) rice cooker with it's non-stick bowl
-put on the lid and started it up
-it switched to Warm mode in about 7 minutes or so
-left it sitting there and checked it every so often for OVER 4 HOURS
-finally got fed up and turned it off
-turns out the upper half wasn't cooked all the way and the bottom was stuck to the bowl

next time i'll halve the ingredients and maybe use cooking spray on the bowl.

Zoe

It's not going to work on the warm setting. You have to find some way to set it to cook again.

A quick Warm setting works, as I've been makin these for weeks like that. The problem may be that he put too much batter. 1 cup mix, .5 cup water and 1 egg is what I've been doing. If I use that amount he used, mine never cooks.

My girlfriend and I just tried making brownies in our Neuro Fuzzy rice cooker, and it didn't work out quite right. It finishes too soon and, instead of letting me cook again, it won't. I think the rice cooker somehow knows its too hot.

Is there a better setting than "Reg/White Rice" for this? Did anyone have problems making pancakes/baking in rice cookers without a Cake setting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom