• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Making gigantic super-thick pancakes with a rice cooker

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodypop

Gave this a shot last night for dinner. There were a few hiccups, but it turned out better than I expected. (I expected dismal failure, lol.)

E8A0CF68-7882-4D36-B73B-76AA56C4713B_zps8isl74ef.jpg

This is the rice cooker I used. It's just a small, simple Cuisinart.

87BF43AA-8A9B-4473-A542-B5D7A42CA81D_zps6gwlh2ho.jpg

It's only got two settings: Cook and Warm. (This would cause a bit of a problem later on.)

8E60F1BA-E81A-479C-91E8-2AE3C381496D_zps1srd3mrv.jpg

Everyone in the pool! 2 cups of Bisquick, 2 eggs, 1 cup of milk.

AD5AAE6F-C3AF-4B76-A6E4-751E40EDA17D_zpsyacwqzuk.jpg

Everything's mixed to uniform consistency, as per directions; lid's put on; set to Cook.

I set an external timer to 45 minutes and left the kitchen. When I returned about 10-15 mins later, the switch had already flipped to Warm. I tried setting it back to Cook several times, but it would soon switch to Warm each time.

After the prescribed 45 minutes (mostly at Warm setting), I poked the top about three times intermittently with a toothpick to test for done-ness. Each time it came out gooey. So I let it Warm for about another 20 mins. After over an hour total, I was concerned about the edges burning, so I took it out and flipped it over. . .

3A4273CD-3478-45B9-8B5E-EC23A2F68E01_zpsqf5abco8.jpg

C40FFC9E-EFBA-4FA0-85F5-6A99453636DB_zpsiilbkodm.jpg

Voila! The exterior turned out pretty much perfect. And the insides were mostly good. But the bottom. . .

6CDBD4FA-7FA8-45A1-B556-2C9EA19D7B98_zpsjl6ow3ar.jpg

. . . was still undercooked.

311C7458-E2A4-45E7-A453-975D3968E22C_zpsz5r462kj.jpg

So I horizontally sliced away the undercooked bottom, sliced it in half again, drenched those slices in butter and syrup, and enjoyed!

It was a tad dry, but the syrup really helped in that regard.

D46C7B7B-AF88-4E71-AA6B-20CC95DE75B5_zpsr2lhlknw.jpg

Overall, it wasn't a bad experience. Given that it was my first time, and the issue I had with the Cook/Warm switchover, I'd say it turned out pretty well. I'd try it again, but with a rice cooker with an actual timer, so that I can control the Cook time.

Pandacon

Gave this a shot last night for dinner. There were a few hiccups, but it turned out better than I expected. (I expected dismal failure, lol.)

This is the rice cooker I used. It's just a small, simple Cuisinart.

It's only got two settings: Cook and Warm. (This would cause a bit of a problem later on.)

Everyone in the pool! 2 cups of Bisquick, 2 eggs, 1 cup of milk.

Everything's mixed to uniform consistency, as per directions; lid's put on; set to Cook.

I set an external timer to 45 minutes and left the kitchen. When I returned about 10-15 mins later, the switch had already flipped to Warm. I tried setting it back to Cook several times, but it would soon switch to Warm each time.

After the prescribed 45 minutes (mostly at Warm setting), I poked the top about three times intermittently with a toothpick to test for done-ness. Each time it came out gooey. So I let it Warm for about another 20 mins. After over an hour total, I was concerned about the edges burning, so I took it out and flipped it over. . .

Voila! The exterior turned out pretty much perfect. And the insides were mostly good. But the bottom. . .

So I horizontally sliced away the undercooked bottom, sliced it in half again, drenched those slices in butter and syrup, and enjoyed!

It was a tad dry, but the syrup really helped in that regard.

Overall, it wasn't a bad experience. Given that it was my first time, and the issue I had with the Cook/Warm switchover, I'd say it turned out pretty well. I'd try it again, but with a rice cooker with an actual timer, so that I can control the Cook time.

The top half looks pretty good, maybe try it again with just one cup of Bisquick , or maybe try flipping it over to get the other side cooked.

Roland1979

In America thin pancakes might not be called pancakes but they were probably brought from Europe. Either way, you should know that in Europe there exist multiple types that are not thick like American pancakes and use a different batter. One is a crepe and one would translate to pancake. The pancake is thicker then a crepe, but not nearly as thick as the American type. It probably got in invented in Europe too, so to say we are wrong is probably wrong in itself. It's a translation thing.

In America thin pancakes might not be called pancakes but they were probably brought from Europe. Either way, you should know that in Europe there exist multiple types that are not thick like American pancakes and use a different batter. One is a crepe and one would translate to pancake. The pancake is thicker then a crepe, but not nearly as thick as the American type. It probably got in invented in Europe too, so to say we are wrong is probably wrong in itself. It's a translation thing.
No one is wrong, just culturally different.

woodypop

The top half looks pretty good, maybe try it again with just one cup of Bisquick , or maybe try flipping it over to get the other side cooked.
Do you mean halve the entire recipe (1 cup Bisquick, 1 egg, 1/2 cup milk), or just halving the amount of Bisquick (1 cup Bisquick, 2 eggs, 1 cup milk)? And I'm really hesitant about flipping the whole thing over and putting it back in the cooker to cook the underside. Has anyone successfully done that?

Zoe

Do you mean halve the entire recipe (1 cup Bisquick, 1 egg, 1/2 cup milk), or just halving the amount of Bisquick (1 cup Bisquick, 2 eggs, 1 cup milk)? And I'm really hesitant about flipping the whole thing over and putting it back in the cooker to cook the underside. Has anyone successfully done that?

Flipping it would kind of defeat the purpose.

psylah

I don't even know what you guys are using to make these, when I think of a rice cooker I think of one of these automatic thingamabobs. It even has a "cake" setting.

I don't know shit about cooking, but when I think "rice cooker", I think Zojirushi™

woodypop

I don't even know what you guys are using to make these, when I think of a rice cooker I think of one of these automatic thingamabobs. It even has a "cake" setting.

I don't know shit about cooking, but when I think "rice cooker", I think Zojirushi™
Something like that would probably produce optimal results. But some of us plebes hafta make do with what we've got. ;)

6CDBD4FA-7FA8-45A1-B556-2C9EA19D7B98_zpsjl6ow3ar.jpg

Might consider (if this happens next time) simply cutting off the under cooked bits and tossing them in a pan for a minute. Saves having to drown your food in sugar and butter.

[Edit: come to think of it it might be a great move to slice the whole thing up and put each slice into a pan with some butter.]

Nairume

Banned
Yup, I just made one and it turned out well.

Since it was just a test run that I'd be eating for lunch, I didn't put in that much mix and only ended up getting a flat layer cake about an inch and a half thick. Despite being just a barebones mix of...uh.....mix and water, it tastes fine and the consistency is solid. Adding some nutella on it makes it even better!

Will try this again later with my wife, so we can see if we can get it to puff up like those pictures and maybe also start adding different stuff into the mix.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
You have to leave the lid open for 15 minutes when you get that error message so it can cool off. I had the same issue because I cooked it on too quick of a setting at first.

You need to get one of those el cheapo ones that has no concept of safety features.

geestack

Just did this in my Zojirushi cooker, which actually has a CAKE setting for this type of work. Came out decently, but I think I need a little bit longer cook time. And maybe somehow try some different ingredients to make it really puff out.

Thank you for this excellent writeup! This is the exact rice cooker I have, so all this is super helpful to me.

For Zojirushi owners who don't have a Cake setting, I heard from a friend that the Porridge one works for this, I think it cooks slower for a longer period than the standard white rice setting.

Smo21

Gonna try this tonight. Hope this turns out well. I have a scrappy rice cooker with only warm and cook.

Thinking cinnamon apple mixed into the batter.

I wouldn't know what to do with that much pancake. Interesting to look at but eating that much would give me too much size diversity anyway.

Gonna try this tonight. Hope this turns out well. I have a scrappy rice cooker with only warm and cook.

Thinking cinnamon apple mixed into the batter.

Mines the same way. Once it clicks to warm, keep it in there for a while. Mine wasn't cooked despite it turning to warm, so I kept it in and just kept regularly checking on it until the top was firm
came out great

Pimpwerx

Meh. I want to know how to make buttermilk pancakes as fluffy and delicious as IHOP. Honestly, I think they make the best in the world. PEACE.

Smo21

Mines the same way. Once it clicks to warm, keep it in there for a while. Mine wasn't cooked despite it turning to warm, so I kept it in and just kept regularly checking on it until the top was firm
came out great

About how long did it take? Been an hour and the middle is still gooey.
Might have used to much batter.

Edit.

Done!Top burned a little and stuck to the pot. Did up some Apple's and sugar to go with.

MtiGjnM.jpg

fu407bP.jpg

Taste great!

Pacbois

So I tried it with my shitty cheapo Rice Cooker. I had the "setting itself to warm" problem, so I had to keep an eye on it to switch it back every 5 minutes.

The result was satisfiying. Not really thick but properly cooked and super dense. I added blueberries and bananas for taste, great call.

BqlNOTgIcAEYd8M.jpg

BqlS8M8CUAAiFiU.jpg

Noirulus

As a kid my mom made this every breakfast, never got old.

Very similar to crêpes but from an entirely different part of the world. I personally liked it when it was soaked in coffee.

Oh god I LOVE those. Also, another breakfast crepe-like food is Dosa.

FeCnnLo.jpg

So. Freaking. Good. Mom made 'em for breakfast every day. I only wish she could've made different types of chutni too, but she works/worked from 7 - 3 and never had the time. :/

So I figured I would upload a picture of the one I made

q6T3HCL.jpg

I have a combination rice cooker/slow cooker. I buttered the bottom of the container to make sure the pancake didn't stick. Turned it on and pressed the brown rice setting which cooks based on weight or something. Manual said it was about 50 minutes for 2 cups which was the same amount of pancake batter. It only took about 45 minutes, though.

Should have waited about half way in to put the chocolate chips in so they didn't sink to the bottom.

It was alright. Seemed to be missing something, and it was just slightly on the dense side. I might cut out about half a cup of Bisquick but leave the same amount of milk and eggs. Also more sugar, vanilla, and probably more chocolate chips.

Why use pancake batter and not regular cake batter. I'm missing something here. I mean, the whole reason why pancakes are as good as they are is because they're fried in a pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom