• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Making gigantic super-thick pancakes with a rice cooker

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenlamprey

Neo Member
I got a rice cooker that pretty much looks like this:

server

You guys think it would work with it?

I tried with a rice cooker that looks almost like that. It clicked to warm after about 5 minutes and after 40 minutes was still totally raw on top. So I took the pan, covered it in foil and put it in the oven for 20 minutes.

It was really good with nice crispy edges! But know i have no idea whether I could replicate it by just putting batter in a pot in the oven, or if starting it in the rice cooker was important.

Shadownet

Banned
Mine that I posted in another thread.

knBwQNOl.jpg

CVRfpABl.jpg

87YtfGCl.jpg

Took a little bit over an hour to cook.

The bottom came our brown but the top came out a bit pale. I flipped it in the image. I'm assuming the top was pale because it wasn't making contact with any surface unlike the bottom. Which it why it wasn't golden.

Though it was cook throughly and still very moist. Tasted like heaven.

So I don't have the rice cooker yet but my frothing desire for giant pancakes got the better of me, and a few days ago I decided to try my own little experiment.

Whipped up a batch of standard cakes, added some cinnamon to the batter, and dumped it into a big cake pan.

Tried one with just butter and syrup and it was great, but at the suggestion of my girlfriend I kicked it up to another level:

DELICIOUS

I really like having a sheet of pancakes to go back to for seconds and thirds. You just make the one griddle cake and it's done - no need to stand over them to make sure they don't burn on one side, they don't get cold on the plate as you make more, it's all just done and ready and wonderful. Probably gonna make more tomorrow.

Edit: For anyone wanting to make these, my recipe was:

2 cups pancake mix
1 cup milk
1 egg

oven @ 350
Cooked for about 15-20 minutes, but checking on it periodically after the 10 minute mark

C.B.

we call them scones too - they're biscuits in the US (and Japan at least)

I'm French. We call these scones. I love you Brits though, but I'll blame anything on you. It's a birthright.

jYfAmAIK7HLyV.png

Says the country that calls these biscuits.
6FYg8GB.jpg

Also it's not a British thing.

These are nothing like scones. They are not made to be eaten with jam and cream. They're fluffy inside and made to be eaten with savoury food and gravy or butter and actually don't taste much like a scone at all. Just tiny loaves of bread essentially. The two aren't really comparable.

I think I'll try the oven pancake thing.

Raist

Banned
Is that... bacon, pineapple and raisins?

What the fuck dude.

Dutch people are crazy.
There's a chain in London serving dutch pancakes. Can't remember the name right now. Rather thick (by comparison to Crêpes), huge, and full of toppings. Like a pizza, basically.

Ravek

Banned
Making my super pancake now.

Im using a instant box kind (just add water). I already warned my kids that it probably won't turn out well and that we'd be going to the grocery store in an hour.

Wish me luck.

Btw, it has candy confetti (aka sprinkles) in it for those wondering.

EDIT: already ran into the problem with the cooker going straight to warm instead of staying on cook. Found some tape though...fixed that shit right away.

Any Gaffers have success with a non-fuzzy logic (read:stupid) Zojirushi rice cooker? I want a fuzzy logic, but I've still got this and it works well for rice...

woodypop

As anyone tried making these with the instant "just add water" box mixes?
Not sure if anyone did so previously in the thread, but it looks like Ravek is. I considered it, but went with using eggs in hopes it would be fluffier. Would be great to know which kind of mix produces better results.
Making my super pancake now.

Im using a instant box kind (just add water). I already warned my kids that it probably won't turn out well and that we'd be going to the grocery store in an hour.

Wish me luck.

Btw, it has candy confetti (aka sprinkles) in it for those wondering.

EDIT: already ran into the problem with the cooker going straight to warm instead of staying on cook. Found some tape though...fixed that shit right away.
Be careful. I think someone already tried that, with negative results. D:

Ravek

Banned
So...

Instant just add water box mix did not work out at all.

Within 15mins it started to smell like the bottom was burning horribly. Will try again with a real recipe.

I think I'll try the oven pancake thing.

I edited my post but, my recipe was:

2 cups pancake mix
1 cup milk
1 egg
dash of cinnamon

oven @ 350
Cooked for about 15-20 minutes, but checking on it periodically after the 10 minute mark

Gonna make them again in a little bit. My pan was too big so they came out to be only a little thicker than a normal pancake.

Real red velvet has zero food coloring and is a natural byproduct of cocoa powder and an acid (buttermilk or vinegar)...

I know but most places, because of red velvet being so well known for it's artificial color, will put red dye in their products. It's pretty gross but I love red velvet cake, when done properly.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
So first things first, this is actually a tale of sadness and alcoholism. I intended to suprise a ladyfriend with a GIANT PANCAKE for breakfast, but alas, things didn't went as I expected, which lead to eating the pancake all by myself like a gluttonous fat fuck.

All said and done, I've had worse Sunday mornings.

PREPARATIONS:

I don't actually have a rice cooker, but one of those electronic pot-thingies that also serve as slow cookers. I know they can be used to make cakes, but I mostly use it to prepare rice and make stews/pulled meat in large quantities, eating some in the day and freezing the rest. This was kind of a first for me.

Programmable slow cooker, mixing bowl, mixer, pancake mix, Nutella.

AIkyzeg.jpg

I didn't occur to me that as far as kitchen gadgets go, this is one huge bitch. One real huge ass motherfucker. As soon as I saw the inner pot, I realised that my pancake wouldn't be as thick as I was hoping due to the sheer size of the pan/pot. Alas, it was too late and I was HANGRY, so that would have to make do.

XFCYHTz.jpg

Mixing the batter. I purchased a bag of pancake mix apparently sourced from America because I'm lazy and I didn't feel like making my own mix.

07NqWhP.jpg

I had no butter in my fridge, so I greased the pan using some olive oil.

HGTpXSX.jpg

Put everything together and programmed the pot to "cake". I decreased the timer from the original 28 minutes to 15.

i2ipkB8.jpg

Then I realized that I had no milk to go with the pancakes. No biggie, beer it is.

Cx8V1ZS.jpg

9WyYDBV.gif

Waiting.

L2Cg1fp.jpg

End result, still in the pan/pot. The top of the pancake was pale and with some holes due to bubbling, but it didn't look bad. I could tell from the smell it was thoroughly cooked, so... success?

v65qUvL.jpg
4OYMHZh.jpg

The beast itself. It was kind of brownish and the lower part of the pancake had a crispy texture. I'm not sure if that was due to the olive oil or the timing; I'm afraid that 15 minutes may be a bit too much. Probably 10 minutes would have suffice, but at least it wasn't burnt.

TASTY TEST:

I didn't realize I'd need some syrup, so I fucked up there. Luckily enough, I had a jar of Nutella. That did the work. As soon as it warmed, it spread all over the pancake as it it were chocolate fondant *notbad.jpg*

QQz59MP.jpg

The final result was surprisingly good. Other than the crusty surface on the lower part of the pancake, the entire thing was fluffly and light and warm and not overtly moist at all. Still, I believe it would have worked better if I set the timer to 10 minutes instead of 15.

hWk9Yxc.jpg

GET IN MAH BELLY

5pfcWXv.jpg

In the end, it was a fun experiment and it tasted good, despite the surprisingly crusty surface at the bottom. I just wish I would have had some actual mapple syrup to soften it up a little bit. Now I'm curious about making smaller pancakes mixing the batter with some vanilla whey protein powder for bulking.

9/10 will fat again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom